The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary have visited the Art Museum Brandts, in Odense, in preparation for an awards ceremony celebrating Danish culture.

The Crown Prince couple are modern art enthusiasts and regularly visit the gallery.

In 2015, it featured several of Princess Mary's iconic gowns in an exhibit focusing on Danish fashion.

Later that evening, Mary wore a floor-length gown by a local designer at the Crown Prince Couple's Awards.
Princess Mary and Prince Frederik host televised awards gala

Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary have visited the Art Museum Brandts, in Odense, in preparation for an awards ceremony celebrating Danish culture.

The Crown Prince couple are modern art enthusiasts and regularly visit the gallery.

In 2015, it featured several of Princess Mary's iconic gowns in an exhibit focusing on Danish fashion.

Later that evening, Mary wore a floor-length gown by a local designer at the Crown Prince Couple's Awards.
Princess Mary and Prince Frederik host televised awards gala

Great pictures and profile of Princess Mary & Prince Frederick!

From the pictures—

6DB2DFFB-370B-4C3D-84D9-A76C92482122.jpeg

I love her wedding dress.
I also love their romance. —Beautiful couple and family.

Denmark was my first trip across the pond in the late 80’s at Christmas time. It was magical. I can still remember the spiced mulled cider that scented the streets of Copenhagen. —And that Christmas beer, whoa! What a welcoming country.

While protecting their own and naming children after Mountbatten who was a known child sex abuser but the royals have for the most part covered that up and lauded him as a great man.

FBI files allege Lord Mountbatten, murdered by the IRA, was a pedophile

Lord Mountbatten's 'lust for young boys' exposed in FBI files

UPDATED & EXPANDED: Kincora boy abused by Mountbatten committed suicide months later
And didn’t Prince Harry hyphenate Archie’s last name to include Mountbatten?? I’m watching the crown now and I just finished the episode where the Queens children had to carry the name of Windsor
Archie Mountbatten-Windsor - Wikipedia

And didn’t Prince Harry hyphenate Archie’s last name to include Mountbatten?? I’m watching the crown now and I just finished the episode where the Queens children had to carry the name of Windsor
Archie Mountbatten-Windsor - Wikipedia

As they haven't taken a title for Archie, the surname is pretty much how it would be for a non-royal person in the UK and they use the family name that comes down from the father and grandfather's line.

The Royal Family name of Windsor was confirmed by The Queen after her accession in 1952. However, in 1960, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh decided that they would like their own direct descendants to be distinguished from the rest of the Royal Family (without changing the name of the Royal House), as Windsor is the surname used by all the male and unmarried female descendants of George V.

It was therefore declared in the Privy Council that The Queen's descendants, other than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor.

The Royal Family name

I married a Dane. I will have to share the photo with my MIL. They came over on the Stockholm in 1957. My husband can still speak fluent Danish. He taught me all the really good words. Well he thought the one's I needed to know LOL

People kept talking about "modernizing" this and that. I think some might not know that Princess Anne did a fashion shoot with Vogue and other things with her mother that were aimed at connecting with a new generation.
However, I get the impression she is a very private person who wanted to live as normal a life as one possibly for her family could while still being committed to her role.

Vogue Magazine September 9, 1971.

upload_2019-11-5_10-48-3.png

sunday-times-magazine-15-august-1971-princess-anne-surrealism-mesens-by-george-melly-7202-1-p.jpg

Source on picture.

rexfeatures_890821a-tatler-15aug17_b.jpg

Tatler Magazine-Princess Anne In Pictures/Rex Features.

As they haven't taken a title for Archie, the surname is pretty much how it would be for a non-royal person in the UK and they use the family name that comes down from the father and grandfather's line.

The Royal Family name
So when Prince Charles had William and Harry - they were just "Windsor" because they were royal but baby Archie isn't a royal because he has no title? This is all very interesting to me.

So when Prince Charles had William and Harry - they were just "Windsor" because they were royal but baby Archie isn't a royal because he has no title? This is all very interesting to me.

It puts him in the same "rank" and same position within the family as Zara and Peter Phillips. Royal, but no HRH title. I've said this before but I think only the spouse and children of the monarch (or future monarch) should carry HRH:

Charles & Camilla, Anne, Andrew, Edward
William & Kate, Harry
George, Charlotte & Louis

Once all the older members of the family have gone, the only ones with HRH who shouldn't be (in my opinion!) are Beatrice & Eugenie, who use Princess, and James & Louise, who don't.

One way of modernising and streamlining the monarchy is reducing the number of people with the Prince / Princess title.

People kept talking about "modernizing" this and that. I think some might not know that Princess Anne did a fashion shoot with Vogue and other things with her mother that were aimed at connecting with a new generation.
However, I get the impression she is a very private person who wanted to live as normal a life as one possibly for her family could while still being committed to her role.

Vogue Magazine September 9, 1971.

View attachment 213466

sunday-times-magazine-15-august-1971-princess-anne-surrealism-mesens-by-george-melly-7202-1-p.jpg

Source on picture.

rexfeatures_890821a-tatler-15aug17_b.jpg

Tatler Magazine-Princess Anne In Pictures/Rex Features.

So lovely.

Very much underappreciated

Archie isn't entitled to "Royal Highness" as he's a great-grandchild of the Queen and not of the eldest son/heir to the throne.

He's of the Royal family, but he doesn't have a Royal styling such as Prince. So, as Cags has pointed out, he's in the same kind of category as Princess Anne's children, and therefore instead of the Windsor surname, he gets the Mountbatten-Windsor surname.

It's also complicated that royal dukes and their children tend to use the name of the dukedom as a surname...So when they were at school, William and Harry used the surname "Wales" from their father being Prince of Wales. Prince Andrew's daughters would have used York (from the Duke of York), and the children of Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge use the surname Cambridge at school.

It's complicated, but it's from hundreds of years of tradition and set protocols.

Back in the 1400s or whenever, they didn't have the same 'problem' as they didn't go to school and there weren't passports, so they didn't need a surname in the same way as a commoner, so they went by the name of the overall House (Windsor, Stuart, or Tudor, etc) or the 'subsidiary' segment of the House from the dukedom given to sons of monarchs (Cambridge, York, Clarence, etc).

I'm currently watching this series about Queen Victoria and her children. The first episode talks a lot about the modernization of monarchy that Albert and Victoria tried to do. So many European countries were at risk of revolutions to overthrow their monarchies, and the British monarch had the fear they'd go the same way, so they 'modernized' their image for the people.

Albert and Victoria wanted (according to this documentary) to present themselves as not so different from your average middle class family of the time (which would not be the same middle class as today, it would still be people with quite large houses and servants, but not royal, noble, or aristocratic families) and they were very concerned with presenting an image of a perfect and highly moral family.

And, of course, the children didn't necessarily conform to their hopes and desires! I find it so interesting to learn about these people instead of just seeing them as names on a family tree or a name in a history book as in Queen Victoria had a lot of children and many of them married into European royal families... This documentary series goes into a bit more detail of how the children 'challenged' their parents and also the expectations of the era in terms of how women or royals in general should behave.

I was going to post a funny article with excerpts from Angela Kelly's book, but the link won't work for those outside of Canada :(

Can't delete, so....
upload_2019-11-6_10-5-39.png

Hello Magazine Canada- What Do The Royals Eat On Christmas - December 13, 2017
upload_2019-11-6_10-8-10.png
"It was the same meal every year," Darren told HELLO! Online. "They're actually boring when it comes to festivities! They didn't do hams or anything, just traditional turkeys. We did three turkeys for the Queen and her family in the royal dining room, one for the children's nursery and then more for the 100 or so staff, so everyone had a Christmas lunch." While the Queen and senior royals would dine in the main room, the young Princes and Princesses would eat in the nursery, looked after by their nannies."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305