CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Public records support SF owns the property and pays the taxes on house and 35 acres.

Dad's entire estate valued at $400k

I think it's clear that SF is the legal owner of the property, and most likely had a separate agreement pursuant to divorce that probably applied to half of the acreage. These agreements often are triggered by the sale of the property, dependent child attaining maturity, etc..

This is very common! And perfectly normal that the heirs are in place to replace dad as beneficiaries of the agreement.

Most important, this topic likely became forefront for the siblings because the executor had to quickly establish the fair market value of the land at the date of dad's death to establish or record the stepped-up basis for the heirs.

Nobody was going to force SF out of her house and on to the street. She's the owner!!

MOO
I agree. When you're divorced you legally split up the marital assets...so this makes the most sense to me. (Of course unless you have kk's arrangement where she still lives with her ex, but that's pretty unusual).

Sam Kraemer on Twitter
It’s seen on surveillance from Williams Furniture Store leaving Berreth’s townhome in a four-hour span. Also at the Ent Credit Union ATM
4:04 PM - 5 Nov 2019
(In response to: Where was the truck when it was seen with the tote?)

Sam Kraemer on Twitter
Yes it is. I saw it https://twitter.com/samkraemertv/status/1191798560024457216?s=21 …
4:22 PM - 5 Nov 2019
(In response to: I thought I read somewhere that after Sean was done on the stand, he looked at PF and rolled his eyes as he was leaving the stand. Is that true?)

Sam Kraemer on Twitter
To me, it was a look of disgust
4:23 PM - 5 Nov 2019
(In response to: I'm curious how did you perceive that eye roll? As in O Brother or as in I'm so done with you.)

Yes, they indicated it plays a role in terms of motive but I'm sure it will be clear when all the details come out.
It may just be to establish that PF was in financial trouble and between that and the child support he would have had to pay it contributed towards a motive.
I still think it had largely to do with his wanting custody and control of the baby, though.
The more motive the better, I guess.

Imo
Yes, I think the motive was complex and there were many contributing factors. His mother disliked his fiancée. So did his sister. He was in financial trouble, defaulted on a $72,000 loan, and was and struggling to provide for his daughter as well as juggle child care duties. He needed land to care for his cattle, which kept him someone stuck at the Franch. He clashed with his siblings over the inheritance from their father. There may even be more. MOO

Yes, I think the motive was complex and there were many contributing factors. His mother disliked his fiancée. So did his sister. He was in financial trouble, defaulted on a $72,000 loan, and was and struggling to provide for his daughter as well as juggle child care duties. He needed land to care for his cattle, which kept him someone stuck at the Franch. He clashed with his siblings over the inheritance from their father. There may even be more. MOO
What I find interesting is that he was not under court ordered child support IIRC - so he could have just been a dead beat dad playing catch up until she took him to court - I’m interested in knowing what triggered him to research and draw up custody papers - did we miss something ? Did KB serve him with something when he missed his support payment? I don’t think so since she was planning a thanksgiving “something” with him - I know most of us think control/custody and/or money but what makes a person decide death is the answer ? I know we see it over and over on WS I’m just very interested in his decision making process and if he Involved others besides KK? And will this come out by the prosecution ? jMO

Yah, don't think it will work for most of the jurors. Just trying to guess at the 'shape' of their defense narrative.

They are going to grab onto the state's assertion that not ALL comings and goings are on surveillance footage. So they can possibly get the jury to agree that NOT seeing Kelsey leave is not solid proof that she was deceased when PF was seen leaving with the baby.

It just goes to the dangerous terrain of reasonable doubt.

And it does change the timeline. If they can convince the jury that she was drunk and depressed, she might have sat alone in her condo for 48 hours, without communicating.

And even if he said she was the one who broke up, they can still say it was mutual, but she was having mental issues, etc. I don't think many people would believe that. But it just takes one.

So he took her phone here and there beside his, then sent it to Idaho with KK? Nobody's dumb enough to buy that.

Last edited:

Yes. I totally agree that there seems to be a lot of motives that may have all contributed.

Another possible one is remember when PF's sister tried to get KB to get dirt on PF for something about the litigation of the estate. Well what if PF and Ma thinks KB is helping that sister, even if KB was definitely not helping the sister, it could be that PF and Ma mistakingly thought she was.

Could just be another possible thing in the long list of possible motives.

Wow! Motive.

We also heard CBI Agent Gregg Slater review other evidence pointing possible motive. That includes letter showing #PatrickFrazee was in default in a $72k loan. He had been paying #KelseyBerreth $700/mo in child support but made last payment in June 2019. @csgazette

ETA: 2019 is a typo. It should read 2018
Lance Benzel on Twitter
This thread is moving so darn fast so apologies in advance if it has been brought up (if so , just ignore this post)...... is it possible that when an estate is being settled, that previous loans considered in default, the amount of the default loan can be deducted from the total estate amount before final payout to the beneficiaries ....ie, $400k less $72=k (or whatever the actual amount is)?

ETA: removing outstanding loans from the post..... most people have those (mortgages, etc but good loans).. only meant to mention default loans.

Last edited:
I agree. When you're divorced you legally split up the marital assets...so this makes the most sense to me. (Of course unless you have kk's arrangement where she still lives with her ex, but that's pretty unusual).
Hmm that makes me ponder something - do we have the divorce date ? Somehow I’m thinking 1990? Or 99? Because sometimes the marital home is given to the custodial parent via deed but then a subsequent deed is drawn up but not recorded until the last child reaches adult age - and the asset is then split based on the divorce agreement ? It’s very unlikely but I’m trying to figure out what the 3 of them could be fighting over
JMO

Lol right---slight glitch there for them to work out...

He didnt mean to take hers? It was in the diaper bag? lol
Then the small added problem of the texts and phone calls that showed the phones communicating with the same towers.

“My client didn’t know he was communicating with himself.”

Catching up! Sounds like another great day for the prosecution IMO

I’m so glad Sean did the right thing today. I’m betting that eye roll was in total disgust as well. Can you imagine having to learn just as we are, what a complete monster his brother is?? That’s gotta suck!! MOO

What I find interesting is that he was not under court ordered child support IIRC - so he could have just been a dead beat dad playing catch up until she took him to court - I’m interested in knowing what triggered him to research and draw up custody papers - did we miss something ? Did KB serve him with something when he missed his support payment? I don’t think so since she was planning a thanksgiving “something” with him - I know most of us think control/custody and/or money but what makes a person decide death is the answer ? I know we see it over and over on WS I’m just very interested in his decision making process and if he Involved others besides KK? And will this come out by the prosecution ? jMO
Why do people become killers? There are only three reasons -- Here they are
Jeez, the Fox article seems to be right on. He had money issues, relationship/sex issues (aka mistress), and a desire for control. Seems as if pf hit the mark on all three.

Yes. What matters is what he did on the stand today.

He effectively buried his brother, linking the evidence that PF was at Kelsey’s house, to his arrival at Thanksgiving (2 hours late).

He completed an important part of the timeline, and provided details that we wouldn’t otherwise know.

Not only did PF arrive late, but he parked to the side of the house. He also spent about half the time outside, probably taking care of business in regard to the tote.

This was damning stuff, and I’m glad he did the right thing.

SF2 is the one witness whose testimony I was most anticipating in this trial.

He was faced with a tough decision, and today we learned which side he chose:

He's one of the Good Guys.

Guess blue blood runs thicker than red blood, after all.

SF2's testimony is going to prove extremely damaging to PF, and by extremely, I mean, utterly and completely catastrophic.

Not only did his testimony regarding PF's movements/actions, etc. on the 22nd completely jibe with the prosecution's timeline, but also, his non-verbal communication, i.e., his reported stare-down and eye roll at PF as he was exiting the courtroom, was a visual exchange that will not have escaped the jurors' notice.

That pointed stare and eye roll spoke volumes, and here's what they said:
"I can't believe what you've done. I wash my hands of you, Moron."
That message of disdain and contempt that SF2 conveyed to PF will have registered with the jury, to devastating effect.

His own BROTHER doesn't believe he's innocent.

Doing the right thing doesn't always feel right.
In fact, sometimes it feels all wrong.
But feelings aren't a barometer for gauging what's true.

Glad SF2 didn't let feelings get in the way of truth.
He got up on that stand and told the truth.

Turns out, not ALL the F's are cut from the same cloth.
This one, at least, is made of much finer material.

Guess we learned today who the pick of that litter is, didn't we?

JMO.

Last edited:
I think he's one of those guys that told lies all his life and it seemed to him that everyone 'bought' into them, so he figured he'll just lie/charm his way out of this one too.

I picture him being the family member who lied all the time, was rude and the others just felt disdain for him.

I bet his Ma had plenty to say to the other siblings about Patrick's behavior.

Sean may have been called on to get him out of trouble before.

Last edited:
Sam Kraemer on Twitter
It’s seen on surveillance from Williams Furniture Store leaving Berreth’s townhome in a four-hour span. Also at the Ent Credit Union ATM
4:04 PM - 5 Nov 2019
(In response to: Where was the truck when it was seen with the tote?)

Sam Kraemer on Twitter
Yes it is. I saw it https://twitter.com/samkraemertv/status/1191798560024457216?s=21 …
4:22 PM - 5 Nov 2019
(In response to: I thought I read somewhere that after Sean was done on the stand, he looked at PF and rolled his eyes as he was leaving the stand. Is that true?)

Sam Kraemer on Twitter
To me, it was a look of disgust
4:23 PM - 5 Nov 2019
(In response to: I'm curious how did you perceive that eye roll? As in O Brother or as in I'm so done with you.)

I'm curious....Did any of you (like me) roll your eyes in disgust to mimic what you picture Sean doing to Patrick?

Then the small added problem of the texts and phone calls that showed the phones communicating with the same towers.

“My client didn’t know he was communicating with himself.”

LOL

This is why I rarely post. Someone always inevitably says the same sort of thing I’m thinking, just in a far more clever way. You and PommyMommy beat me today!

On a different note, can someone ask the prosecution to hold off on KK’s testimony until Friday....so that we can have GoJacks there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88