Mexico - 10 members of Polygamist LeBaron Family murdered, Sonora, Nov 2019 *arrests*

Chihuahua Attorney General César Peniche told Univision the Jaguars are in a turf war with rival gang La Linea, which is connected to the notorious Juárez cartel commanded by Roberto González Montes.
upload_2019-11-7_14-17-52.jpeg
La Linea (The Line) is an enforcer unit of the Juárez Cartel established by former and active-duty policemen, heavily armed and extensively trained in urban warfare.

Before the brutal slaying of the nine Mormons, the group had been responsible for several massacres and countless murders, along with kidnappings and extortion.

The gang has been instrumental in helping the cartel, run by Vicente Carrillo Fuentes, to exert a hold over the drug trade through Ciudad Juarez. The DEA estimates 70 per cent of the cocaine that enters the US flows through this area.

La Línea is linked to some of Ciudad Juárez's most notorious massacres, including the massacre of 16 teenagers at a high school party, the shooting deaths of 19 patients at a rehab center, the massacre of 14 people at a boy's birthday party, and of a mobile phone-detonated car bomb attack – all of them perpetrated in 2010.

Their former gang leader, nicknamed El Diego, was guilty of carrying out more than 1500 killings from 2008 to 2011.

According to Reuters, Escajeda was considered one of the bloodiest hitmen in the crime-ridden state of Chihuahua and a leader of the powerful Juarez cartel.

“They are isolated events,” Mr LeBaron told CNN Espannol. “But these are the bad spirits of bad people wanting control … there is an incredible evil here. I do not know what you call this.

“If they are using us to make a statement, I do not know who it’s for. One cartel towards another.”

But, Mr LeBaron warned: “We do not give in.”
No Cookies | Gold Coast Bulletin

This apparent community leader might not be following the typical Mormon Mexican pattern or Mennonite Mexican pattern.

My general impression is that both communities have long history of political involvement and keeping quiet, low profiles. That means no open political involvement, no large scale disputes with local Mexicans and no photo ops with outsiders- and especially not questionable ones.

Though it is entirely possible that affluent Mormons and Mennonites, like affluent Mexicans pay uhmmmm…. “special fees” for “special” permits that can lead to say, unusual water or land allotments, the historical community practice seems to have been to keep these things low key and discrete.

With out of control cartel violence, the historical norm might need to be changed for community survival. But... possible “special” water considerations that could be over the top leading to avoidable conflicts with locals do not help the greater Mormon community at all.

In short, other community leaders might want to talk to him. If there are “special” water permits connected to the mega walnut grove, it needs to be publicaly scaled back - tomorrow. Local support and local alliances are needed far more than mega groves.

But, Mr LeBaron warned: “We do not give in.”
Well said. Now he needs to seperate his personal interests from community needs.

If the water conflict with locals stems from any say, "special" type permits given to him, the planned agricultural expansion needs to be scaled back fast. Conflict with locals over his expansions do not serve the greater Mormon community.

Last edited:
A Queen Creek family is mourning the deaths of at least 10 relatives, including three mothers and their young children, killed Monday in an ambush in Sonora.

The three mothers who were killed lived in a Mormon community in the state of Sonora and had dual U.S. and Mexican citizenship, according to Leah Staddon, who grew up in the same Mormon community, Bavispe, before moving to Queen Creek.

The three mothers were driving from Bavispe to a wedding in LaBaron, another Mormon community in the state of Chihuahua, when their three vehicles loaded with children were attacked by gunfire, causing one of the vehicles to explode in flames.

Staddon said her nephew's wife and her four children, among them twin 4-month-old babies, died in the blaze.

She said her brother discovered the bullet-ridden vehicle still smoldering with the charred bodies inside and shot a video as evidence.

"It's devastating," Staddon said. "It's incomprehensible, the evil. I don’t understand how someone could do that."

More at link:
Queen Creek woman says at least 10 relatives murdered on way to wedding in Mexico

Hmmm? I have read a few articles that claim they have probably been murdered because of mistaken identities. And this is possible because most of the cartels travel in caravans of black SUVs. But, who knows what goes on down there. Does anyone know if this clan is related to Warren Jeffs's clan in any way that sought sanctuary in Mexico? Not making any judgements. I was just wondering if they are related to him or that Lebron clan? Just being nosy. And I do not know what all of this "DUAL CITIZENSHIP" is about because the last I checked when I was researching ex-pats in Saudi Arabia was the United States does not recognize it. Mexico may recognize it but we do not. And any child born on Mexican soil is a Citizen of Mexico period. It doesn't matter if one or both parents are Americans the child is not American.

And I do not know what all of this "DUAL CITIZENSHIP" is about because the last I checked when I was researching ex-pats in Saudi Arabia was the United States does not recognize it. Mexico may recognize it but we do not. And any child born on Mexican soil is a Citizen of Mexico period. It doesn't matter if one or both parents are Americans the child is not American.

snipped for clarity
I think you are mistaken. A baby born abroad to an American parent or parents can absolutely obtain US Citizenship. Birth | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Mexico

Thanks. I also that the coordinated attacks were performed by a cartel faction. There seem to be only two feasible suspects: Cartel faction or angry locals in water dispute.
The coordination, scale, brutality and possible use of automatic weapons (one vehicle was struck 200 times), all indicate the perpetrators being members of a cartel faction.

Had the motive been a water dispute, I think the circumstances would have been: Angry local uses a hunting rifle to fire at Mormon truck hauling a commercial water pump- one Mormon was badly wounded. Or, Mormon male killed in local village during an altercation. The assailant made references to water usage before shooting the victim with a pistol”.

Likewise, I think you are right about the survivors being allowed to leave. On report stated that the gunmen did not shoot children at close range (adults were another matter). Instead, they slinked off.

well said, we’re certainly on the same page. The more I read the more sure I am that this was a cartel and the LeBaron’s were the target.

Them letting the federales operate out of their compound is enough on its’ own.

And I do not know what all of this "DUAL CITIZENSHIP" is about because the last I checked when I was researching ex-pats in Saudi Arabia was the United States does not recognize it. Mexico may recognize it but we do not. And any child born on Mexican soil is a Citizen of Mexico period. It doesn't matter if one or both parents are Americans the child is not American.

From the state department's own website (emphasis mine):

"U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship...For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. national parents may be both a U.S. national and a national of the country of birth. Or, an individual having one nationality at birth may naturalize at a later date in another country and become a dual national."

Dual Nationality

Also, AvaBraun, welcome to Websleuths. Curious about the origins of your username, if you are inclined to share...

First ~10 minutes of today's Texas Standard talks about the murders:
"Women and children killed in northern Mexico. Questions remain about whether they were targeted and what happens next. That massacre in Mexico is an example of the violence asylum-seekers from the country say they need to get away from. We’ll have a report."

Texas Standard For November 7, 2019 | Texas Standard

Hmmm? I have read a few articles that claim they have probably been murdered because of mistaken identities. And this is possible because most of the cartels travel in caravans of black SUVs. But, who knows what goes on down there. Does anyone know if this clan is related to Warren Jeffs's clan in any way that sought sanctuary in Mexico? Not making any judgements. I was just wondering if they are related to him or that Lebron clan? Just being nosy. And I do not know what all of this "DUAL CITIZENSHIP" is about because the last I checked when I was researching ex-pats in Saudi Arabia was the United States does not recognize it. Mexico may recognize it but we do not. And any child born on Mexican soil is a Citizen of Mexico period. It doesn't matter if one or both parents are Americans the child is not American.
I was born in Spain of a Spanish National and America citizen. I was automatically given US citizenship. Both my children were also born in Spain and automatically given US and Spanish citizenship. We each have two passports and two birth certificates.

The LeBarons are not of the same fundamentalist church as Warren Jeffs’ people who are FLDS. The LeBarons have a different or multiple fundamentalist church names. Their ancestors were all part of the mainstream Mormon church who splintered off when the main church renounced plural marriage in order to obtain Utah statehood. They have intermarried in the past but my understanding is that they don’t do so in the present. They do all attend each other leader’s funerals and used to have fundamentalist church conferences before Warren Jeffs took over after his father’s death and went totally rogue.

we've discussed that they are Lebaron clan at length. yes, they are related to that lebaron clan.

‘We’re never coming back here again’ — Families with ties to Utah plan to move out of Mexico community stunned by killings

Sitting at his mother’s kitchen table, slicing and tearing open a pomegranate grown in one of the orchards here, Ben Langford said he was done with La Mora and Mexico.

“If I can sell, I’ll sell,” Langford said of his house and ranch. “As of right now, half the families are moving out of here.

'I Tried to Take Photos That Meant Something': After the Cartel Ambush in Mexico

It was tough being there. Yes, it felt sometimes invasive. But Adrian welcomed us. And probably because he welcomed us, all of his sons and daughters and his family welcomed us too. They wanted this tragedy to be known. They wanted things to change in this country, in this state, in this community.

They were telling me that we want people to know what happened because if they don’t know, if things don’t change, their deaths will have been for nothing. So something good has to come out of this. Something powerful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back