Identified! WI - Racine Co., WhtFem 199UFWI, 14-25, cauliflower ear, July 1999 #2 - Peggy Lynn Johnson *Guilty*

To think that a number of people knew that Peggy was being severely beaten, and then that she was killed - but yet not one people intervened to stop the torture, and not one person reported that she was deceased, let alone murdered. IMO all of those folks should be facing charges...

RIP sweet Peggy.....I don't know what to say....totally lost tracks...This outcome shakes me to the core....

Yep. I thought about how she fell through the cracks as I was driving this afternoon. All the more reason to check on friends, neighbors etc. Especially those who have no family.

I did find some peace knowing she is back with her family-in heaven, and the monster responsible is known to all and going to face justice.

Back to catching up.

What a fiendish, despicable woman. She needs to spend the rest of her miserable life behind bars for taking advantage of this cognitively impaired girl. I’m disgusted and outraged. Let’s hope the Prosecuting attorney is skilled and that she gets the max.

amateur opinion and speculation

Her name is Peggy: The events that led to the death of Racine County's Jane Doe
"Johnson’s parents and brother are all deceased, although she does have a surviving sister whom she never met, Schmaling said. Her body is planned to be exhumed from its resting place and she will be reburied next to her mother in Belvidere, Illinois.

With Johnson not being listed as a missing person, it could explain why she was not identified over the past 20 years as investigators pored over more than a thousand of missing person cases and Johnson’s DNA was added to a missing persons’ database".

Linda LaRoche: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

It blows my mind her ex husband, whose last name is the same as the victims, and her now adult children never reported the abuse.

I believe they didn’t report the abuse for several reasons:
  1. Linda was their income maker, so if she went to jail for the crime, they wouldn’t be able to support themselves and their children.
  2. They were horrified of her, seeing Peggy forced to sleep in a crawl space every night was torture, and she could lose it all, and possibly kill them.
  3. If LE found out Linda killed Peggy, then the husband could be falsely accused of her death, when we now know she killed herself, and Linda drove to Wisconsin to dump her body to avoid involvement in her death.

I’m so sad about this case. I lived here when they found her and I still live here. We visit her grave a couple times a year. I’m going to make one last visit this weekend knowing she will be moved soon. What a horrible and sad life she had. Seeing the pics of her as a child smiling just makes me cry.

1. Linda was their income maker, so if she went to jail for the crime, they wouldn’t be able to support themselves and their children.
  2. They were horrified of her, seeing Peggy forced to sleep in a crawl space every night was torture, and she could lose it all, and possibly kill them.
  3. If LE found out Linda killed Peggy, then the husband could be falsely accused of her death, when we now know she killed herself, and Linda drove to Wisconsin to dump her body to avoid involvement in her death.

i think LL is lying though. i don't think Peggy killed herself.

A Google search of Linda's business shows she wasn't the only family member with their own business. Her children share a last name with the victim, so does her ex husband. Has me wondering if there was a family connection. How exactly did Peggy find Linda? Did Peggy know Linda before her mother died?

What a devastating story. Enraging. Peggy Lynn Johnson was systematically abused for 5 years, and no one noticed? No one reported anything to authorities? I mean, no visitors or extended family saw any red flags?!

I wonder if there wasn't a history of police visits to the home, like domestic violence or noise complaints from neighbors, given what appears to be Linda LaRoche's temperament. From The Journal Times:

According to the criminal complaint, LaRoche’s children recalled the following:
  • Johnson often had signs of injuries caused by LaRoche
  • She had been forced to sleep in a crawl space under the home
  • LaRoche would be “verbally and emotionally cruel” to Johnson, “at times screaming at her like an animal”
  • One of the children told investigators that LaRoche once stabbed Johnson’s head with a pitchfork

Like others on this thread, I also wonder if there isn't a trail of vulnerable people who were victimized by this woman.

Last edited:
A Google search of Linda's business shows she wasn't the only family member with their own business. Her children share a last name with the victim, so does her ex husband. Has me wondering if there was a family connection. How exactly did Peggy find Linda? Did Peggy know Linda before her mother died?
I believe during the press conference they said something about Peggy walking into a hospital and that's when Linda decided to take care of her. I've also been wondering about a possible family connection and the general family situation with Peggy before Linda came in.

What a devastating story. Enraging. Peggy Lynn Johnson was systematically abused for 5 years, and no one noticed? No one reported anything to authorities? I mean, no visitors or extended family saw any red flags?!

I wonder if there wasn't a history of police visits to the home, like domestic violence or noise complaints from neighbors, given what appears to be Linda LaRoche's temperament. From The Journal Times:

Like others on this thread, I also wonder if there isn't a trail of vulnerable people who were victimized/killed by this woman.

I don't know much about the "system", so to speak, vulnerable adults would fall under. To think there was no case worker for Johnson makes me cringe, but it might vary a lot from state-to-state.

LaRoche had to have known the ins and outs of that system in Illinois when she set up the LLC or whatever.

What kind of a deranged person other than the obvious was Linda LaRoche, to talk about it to people in Florida stating she killed someone in Illinois. Was she proud of herself for getting away with it? Thank God for that person that tipped off the police that Linda LaRoche admitted it. Otherwise Peggy would still be unidentified.

I don't know much about the "system", so to speak, vulnerable adults would fall under. To think there was no case worker for Johnson makes me cringe, but it might vary a lot from state-to-state.

LaRoche had to have known the ins and outs of that system in Illinois when she set up the LLC or whatever.

I work with people that have IDD (intellectual and developmental disabilities), and as a group home manager, I know the ins and outs of the system VERY well.

It varies widely from state to state however, and is very progressive. With Peggy’s mother dying 25 years ago, it wouldn’t surprise me that no one followed up. Even as recently as 25 years ago, most people with IDD were still sent to institutions as children, and caring for your child at home didn’t pay social security benefits that it would now. Because she was at home and likely “off the books” (unless she received other social services), she probably didn’t even have a case worker.

What kind of a deranged person other than the obvious was Linda LaRoche, to talk about it to people in Florida stating she killed someone in Illinois. Was she proud of herself for getting away with it? Thank God for that person that tipped off the police that Linda LaRoche admitted it. Otherwise Peggy would still be unidentified.

She has a serious drinking problem and it appears to have gotten worse this year. Her neighbor mentioned that in the last 6 months she would often wander outside in a nightgown and without any shoes, completely drunk & neighbors would have to walk her back inside. She's also been arrested a number of times in recent months, for a DUI and one for being an intoxicated pedestrian or something

So if she had been telling "a number" of people about killing a woman in recent months, I would think it might be related to being drunk so often.

She was drunk when she talked/confessed to neighbours and thanks god for that.

To previous comments - Peggy did NOT kill herself as her killer claimed while changing stories multiple times. She was murdered, hence murder charges.

If she was raped, I would not be surprised if husband or adult son was involved too. Peggy was 5 very long years in that horrendous household with multiple people, all alone and vulnerable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieSnoop1975
Back