Found Deceased AK - Kathleen Henry, 30, video of murder victim found, Anchorage, 9 Oct 2019 *Arrest*

BSS' family interview... Does anyone have a subscription to Huisgenoot?

Alaska-moorde: Nagmerrie ‘nimmereindigend’, vertel familielid

"Alaska-moorde: Nagmerrie ‘nimmereindigend’, vertel familielid"

Oh dear, what's the title say?
What language is that? German?

PatLaurel, great find. I was hoping some other publication took up the story, but couldn't find any yet. I know if there's anything new that you'll be on it. Thanks.

It'd be greatly appreciated if anyone can get into the article and translate it into English and post some of it here. Please, please, pretty please.

I hope his family has something interesting to say. The man brutally murdered two women -- don't give me that mellow, quiet, just a ukulele-making guy

Oh dear, what's the title say?
What language is that? German?

PatLaurel, great find. I was hoping some other publication took up the story, but couldn't find any yet. I know if there's anything new that you'll be on it. Thanks.

It'd be greatly appreciated if anyone can get into the article and translate it into English and post some of it here. Please, please, pretty please.

I hope his family has something interesting to say. The man brutally murdered two women -- don't give me that mellow, quiet, just a ukulele-making guy

I think this is Afrikaans, spoken in South-Africa. It’s similar to Dutch, but is not the same. Until someone comes around who speaks the language I would hazard a guess based on Dutch:

Alaska murders: It’s a never ending nightmare, says a member of the family

Again this is not an official translation, but a guess because of the similarity with the Dutch language.

I think this is Afrikaans, spoken in South-Africa. It’s similar to Dutch, but is not the same. Until someone comes around who speaks the language I would hazard a guess based on Dutch:

Again this is not an official translation, but a guess because of the similarity with the Dutch language.

It would be a good thing if the South African public was made aware of this man's crimes. Hopefully, it indicates that the S. A. police are investigating the possibility that this man may have murdered women there too.

I notice that a person can register for a free 30 day subscription. I'm reluctant only because I might not be able to figure out how to unregister. ;)

Last edited:
It would be a good thing if the South African public was made aware of this man's crimes. Hopefully, it indicates that the S. A. police are investigating the possibility that this man may have murdered women there too.

I notice that a person can register for a free 30 day subscription. I'm reluctant only because I might not be able to figure out how to unregister. ;)

I hope someone comes here who speaks Afrikaans. Just because I “think” I understood the title it doesn’t mean I could understand the rest...

I too believe it’s very likely he has committed other crimes before. There should be some kind of violent behavior in his past against animals and/or humans IMO. Maybe now we will se stories of his past after this article.

I hope someone comes here who speaks Afrikaans. Just because I “think” I understood the title it doesn’t mean I could understand the rest...

I too believe it’s very likely he has committed other crimes before. There should be some kind of violent behavior in his past against animals and/or humans IMO. Maybe now we will se stories of his past after this article.

You understood very well ;) and you will understand around 95 percent of the article in Africaans if you speak Dutch. South Africaans (previous Dutch colony) is old Dutch language.

Problem is not the language but to access that article. It seems case is somewhat known in SA as they have published quite a few articles previously about it, alas all behind paywall.

It's good to have you understand this man's character beneath the surface. I respect you, and all the posters here, as the comments are enlightening and I hope LE is as smart. Collect those puzzle pieces!

Wasn't the date of the hotel killing early September? It's amazing he was posting like some know-it-all on that site. The answer to a Sept 7, 2019 question is interesting. If you live in a third world country you can't just move to a first world country... You'd need a $500,000 financial sponsor!

I thought I saw, maybe on his fb, that his engagement was three days after moving to Alaska. That's probably when he gave her "his mother's ring". I don't envy her having to learn more about him.

Brian Smith - Quora

Very interesting...and kind of disturbing... In the answer fro Sept 7 is also this
With my immigration to the USA i needed a $500,000 financial sponsor and all the medical checkups, FBI background checks and application cost me $6500.

Does anybody know what kind of checking this is? Would it include his time in South Africa?

In this article Brian Steven Smith: What we know about the SA-born Alaskan killer
I found this

He has no apparent, previous criminal history in South Africa or Alaska.

and this

Suspect not characterized as a serial predator
Deputy District Attorney Brittany Dunlop declined to offer a possible motive for the two murders. She also declined to characterize Smith as a suspected serial predator.

Speaking to reporters, Dunlop said:

“We take every case and every victim as they come. These were two Alaska Native women, and I know that hits home here in Alaska, and we’re cognizant of that.”

Brittany Dunlop, Deputy District Attorney

Well if this is true....what made him kill these two women?

Last edited:
A little about BSS' childhood and family.

“You think you know someone and then you realize you did not know them at all... scary.”

'Quiet' SA man charged with killing multiple women in Alaska | Independent on Saturday

From the article, thanks PatLaurel
Police also submitted to the court that Smith had been linked to the videos of Henry by a detective who recognized him from another case and that Smith had admitted under questioning that he was the man in the footage and that he had disposed of the body.

What is the mysterious other case all about? I would like to know that.

Yes, it's "Afrikaans". I think you did a very good translation. Sadly the article is behind a paywall. I think for me, being Dutch, it would be no problem reading it.

Yes, it's "Afrikaans". I think you did a very good translation. Sadly the article is behind a paywall. I think for me, being Dutch, it would be no problem reading it.
And to @Bit of hope and @Orgona
THANK YOU and great to know you speak Dutch and are willing to help. I'm sure we will be calling on you because I have a feeling this man's evil extends beyond Alaska. He's too old for this to have been his first and second time. IMO.

BSS' family interview... Does anyone have a subscription to Huisgenoot?

Alaska-moorde: Nagmerrie ‘nimmereindigend’, vertel familielid

"Alaska-moorde: Nagmerrie ‘nimmereindigend’, vertel familielid"

You got it Orgona! The MS translator detected the language was Afrikaans. It translates just like you said --
"Alaska murders nightmare ' never ending ' tells family member"

Microsoft Translator

I noticed BSS didn't seem very chummy with a lot of family members on his fb. I thought he was estranged or perhaps didn't keep in contact much after he moved to Alaska. So...I'm really curious about what family has to say. Is the article going to be all about their nightmare and their shock and embarrassment? I would rather hear more about his past, his character, and if he killed any family pets. :rolleyes:

Is the article going to be all about their nightmare and their shock and embarrassment?

SBM

I was able too read a little more and i think you're right...
Here's what it says: "SY EERSTE gedagte toe hy die skoknuus hoor, was iemand het êrens ’n baie groot fout gemaak. Want hoe kan dit wees dat sy familielid – wat hy so goed ken – verdink word van ’n grusame moord(...).

Google translation: "
HIS first thought when he heard the shock news was someone made a very big mistake somewhere. Because how can it be that his family member - whom he knows so well - is suspected of a gruesome murder (...)"

From the google photos search for that article, i think BSS traveled to SA in 2016.

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

https://cdn2-img.pressreader.com/pressdisplay/docserver/getimage.aspx?regionKey=qE6ZxwGHlnXPynjpPc7+nA==

Edit: The photo is with his two sisters and not with SB as i previously said...

And to @Bit of hope and @Orgona
THANK YOU and great to know you speak Dutch and are willing to help. I'm sure we will be calling on you because I have a feeling this man's evil extends beyond Alaska. He's too old for this to have been his first and second time. IMO.

I sure don't hope so, but why "suddenly" kill two native women? That boggles me. Canadian natives where he looked down to....Colored Africans....he looked down to....it's not that hard to imagine he did this before to people he looked down to. And what about his traveling and holidays in America.....thinking this through a group he could have been targeting: African Americans, Native Americans, the LGBT community or African American transgenders..... He seems "just that guy" to me. Mister nice guy...loved by his wife and friends....happy go lucky....hard working, going to church...etc. What does the history about serial killers tell us, totally adapted to and accepted in their community.....

Edited to add.

Last edited:
… snipped …
https://cdn2-img.pressreader.com/pressdisplay/docserver/getimage.aspx?regionKey=qE6ZxwGHlnXPynjpPc7+nA==
Edit: The photo is with his two sisters and not with SB as i previously said...

Interesting. Thanks. The pic of him with apparently his sisters in 2016 shows a possible sibling closeness.

Bashing, stomping, and murdering Brian is capable of hiding his hatred of some peoples from his family? I got more than a hint of it from his quora postings under his real name and pic. Yet, his wife, friends, and family are shocked, and aren't mentioning the BSS we see.

Bit of Hope, I have the same question -- "why suddenly kill two native women?" He confessed to killing Veronica a year before he killed Kathleen. Are we to believe he just started killing recently, since marrying a trusting, supportive woman and moving to Alaska? That seems doubtful.

I made it! It says nothing new... But there is a sentence that caught my attention.

" VIDEOSPELETJIES
Nadat Brian en sy destydse meisie Natal toe getrek het, het hy in die gasvry- heidsbedryf begin werk. In dié tyd het hy aanlyn videospeletjies begin speel en Stephanie daardeur ontmoet.
Toe hy in 2014 emigreer, was dit sy eerste oorsese reis. Hy en Stephanie is in dieselfde jaar in ’n Christelike plegtigheid in Anchorage getroud. Dit is albei se eerste huwelik en nie een van hulle het kinders nie."

Google translation:

" VIDEO GAMES
After Brian and his then girlfriend moved to Natal, he started working in the hospitality industry. During this time he started playing online video games and met Stephanie through it.
When he emigrated in 2014, it was his first overseas trip. He and Stephanie were married in the same year at a Christian ceremony in Anchorage. This is their first marriage and neither of them have children."

A "then girlfriend" and yet his heart was open to find someone new... Love or convenience?

JMO

Full article available here: Alaska-moorde: Nagmerrie ‘nimmereindigend’, vertel familielid

It doesn't allow me to copy and paste... i'm still trying to figure out how to translate it.

Great find @PatLaurel
You can click on the option “Text-Only Version” above the article. That way you can use copy and paste. I have to run out the door ‘till this evening, but if later it’s still not translated, I will try. We have to be mindful of the 10% rule though.

Edit:
Oops, I just saw you found it... sorry

Great find @PatLaurel
You can click on the option “Text-Only Version” above the article. That way you can use copy and paste. I have to run out the door ‘till this evening, but if later it’s still not translated, I will try. We have to be mindful of the 10% rule though.

Edit:
Oops, I just saw you found it... sorry

Thanks for the tip @Orgona! I saved the article as a PDF and i was able to copy and paste it and then translate it on Google.

I made it! It says nothing new... But there is a sentence that caught my attention.

" VIDEOSPELETJIES
Nadat Brian en sy destydse meisie Natal toe getrek het, het hy in die gasvry- heidsbedryf begin werk. In dié tyd het hy aanlyn videospeletjies begin speel en Stephanie daardeur ontmoet.
Toe hy in 2014 emigreer, was dit sy eerste oorsese reis. Hy en Stephanie is in dieselfde jaar in ’n Christelike plegtigheid in Anchorage getroud. Dit is albei se eerste huwelik en nie een van hulle het kinders nie."

Google translation:

" VIDEO GAMES
After Brian and his then girlfriend moved to Natal, he started working in the hospitality industry. During this time he started playing online video games and met Stephanie through it.
When he emigrated in 2014, it was his first overseas trip. He and Stephanie were married in the same year at a Christian ceremony in Anchorage. This is their first marriage and neither of them have children."

A "then girlfriend" and yet his heart was open to find someone new... Love or convenience?

JMO

I like your effort! Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong