Found Safe NY - Christopher Ruane, 51, marathon runner from UK, Manhattan, 3 Nov 2019

Mersault

Reaction score
Missing East Sussex man fails to return from New York Marathon trip

A missing man from East Sussex failed to make his return flight following the New York Marathon.

Police are concerned for Christopher Ruane, who they say was due to fly back to his home in Uckfield on Monday (November 4).

image.jpg

Christopher Ruane is missing from his home in Uckfield, East Sussex. Photo provided by Wealden Police

According to Wealden Police, Mr Ruane failed to make his flight and hasn’t been heard from by his family or friends since this date.

Christopher had travelled to take part in the New York Marathon. He may have visited the suburbs of Queens, Astoria and Midtown Manhattan, police said.

A spokesperson for Wealden Police said, “We would like to hear from anyone who has information and could assist us.”

Contact police on 101 or visit sussex.police.uk

According to the results, he ran the marathon in just under 7hrs.

Missing East Sussex man fails to return from New York Marathon trip

A missing man from East Sussex failed to make his return flight following the New York Marathon.

Police are concerned for Christopher Ruane, who they say was due to fly back to his home in Uckfield on Monday (November 4).

image.jpg

Christopher Ruane is missing from his home in Uckfield, East Sussex. Photo provided by Wealden Police

According to Wealden Police, Mr Ruane failed to make his flight and hasn’t been heard from by his family or friends since this date.

Christopher had travelled to take part in the New York Marathon. He may have visited the suburbs of Queens, Astoria and Midtown Manhattan, police said.

A spokesperson for Wealden Police said, “We would like to hear from anyone who has information and could assist us.”

Contact police on 101 or visit sussex.police.uk

According to the results, he ran the marathon in just under 7hrs.

So his pace for the marathon would’ve been, if I’m guesstimating accurately, somewhere in the range of 15-16 minutes per mile. While I have loads of respect for anyone who finishes a marathon AT ANY PACE, this speed suggests to me that he may have been a casual or inexperienced runner. I bring up this fact only because I wonder if he might’ve experienced a medical crisis some time after completing the race—sometimes people who are new or inexperienced long-distances runners push themselves to finish, and because their adrenaline is pumping, feel pretty decent; later on, when that has ebbed away, they might experience cardiac or respiratory distress or cognitive issues which might send them to the hospital. He could also have been running with a pre-existing medical condition or just while feeling under the weather—once you’ve registered for the NYC Marathon, I would imagine neither hell nor high, uh, fevers would keep you from showing up!

I just hope all the hospitals in Manhattan and the other boroughs have been told to look out for a man matching his description in the event that he’s there with no ID and/or is unable to communicate his identity...

MOO

I ran a half marathon...once lol and absolute respect to those who do full ones...it is tough...I’m thinking medical misadventure too...7 hrs does seem a longer time to complete the course.

Finish line is in Central Park near Tavern on the Green Restaurant. Where do the runners go after they finish? Where would/could he have gone after finishing? Is that the last time anyone saw him?

Do runners celebrate somewhere? Or return to a hotel to sleep? Or a restaurant to eat? Is there a medical staff at the end to check on them?

I would like to know if he was booked overnight somewhere, if he went somewhere after the race with another runner, or even if he had friends or family there to support him.

Not much info to help figure out what may have happened to him.

Just because he's a slow runner doesn't mean he's inexperienced. Some people are just slow runners.

If he had a medical emergency, wouldn't he have been found by now? I wonder if he checked out of his room.

So there is a little info on Facebook, he is a seasoned runner but his time suggests he mostly walked after 15k so may have been injured or ill. He did not get scanned out of Central Park but he might have used the VIP exit. The medical tents weren't taking details of who they were seeing.

Last edited:
Ah here it is -

Sussex Police

We are very concerned for missing Christopher Ruane?

Christopher from Uckfield was due to fly back into the country from New York on Monday, November 4. He failed to make his flight and hasn't been heard from by his family or friends since this date.

Christopher had travelled to take part in the New York Marathon. Did you see him there? NYPD

He may have visited the suburbs of Queens, Astoria and Midtown Manhattan.

We would like to hear from anyone who has information and could assist us.

Sussex Police
2 hrs ·
Christopher Ruane, 51, from Uckfield, reported missing after he failed to return from New York on 4 November, is still thought to be in the USA. He has not been found, but has been in contact with his family. Although apparently okay, his behaviour is out of character and concerns for his welfare remain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back