Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

Exactly! Always nice to see you posting!

When putting forth any mitigating witnesses it also opens the door for the state to bring forth a plethora of witnesses to refute them all.

Imo, any mitigating witnesses the DT may have been able to scrounge up would have major credibility baggage of their own.

I mean who in the heck would testify to his good character when he has none? Imo, only those just like him who ran in his circle of scams, and cons.

CM really has no one else to blame for the life he's led. It is what it is. He made his bed, and must suck it up now. This is the legacy he's left behind starting as a juvenile, imo.

It's not JSs fault the DT had no truly credible mitigating witnesses to call that would have held up under cross examinations. JS gave them wide latitude to put on their case.

We can all bank on it when the final phase finally comes to pass the state will have enough bad character witnesses against this evil man including McStay family members, and so many more who were also conned, and victimized by Merritt.

As an aside: lately I've been reading how many in CA are sick of their governor already, and how he promised when campaigning he would honor what the majority wanted only to daily do the opposite making the citizens far less safer.

Anyway, it gives me hope he will serve one term, and I believe CA may elect one who believes in honoring what all CA DP juries decided when they recommended the death penalty was the only just sentence in over 700 individuals who haven't been executed.

I also believe they will find a way to expedite the long ridiculous appeals. Iirc, they had already announced they would be doing this before Newsome became governor.

Unortunately it always takes way too long to correct any terrible wrong.

Just look how long it took to enact prison reform for those who were sent to prison for decades for far less crimes. Now they each have their own mentors when released, are learning job skills, and are found employment which gives them the best chance, and is far safer overall for society as a whole. There again it blows my mind it took so so many years to right a terrible wrong, but thankfully it now has happen in 2019.

However in CA they had already been releasing many thousands ...years before prison reform was enacted this year. Those they knew who were violent offenders with many being violent rapists, pedophiles, and even murderers.

I admit I've never understood why CA releases violent offenders back on the streets way before serving their time, and among law abiding citizens again or why their own citizens tolerate it by putting up with it. :(

Jmho
Hi ocean, and always good to see you posting too.
You're certainly right in what you say about any character witnesses regarding CM, i doubt he has any friends that would vouch for him.
We can see what he is by the way he treated Joey and his family. I think JM was way too tolerant of him, but think he realized when it was too late, and was planning to get rid of him anyway, but in doing that it was a most dangerous time for JM dealing with someone like CM. I'm sure JM had no idea what CM was really capable of, and who would ever think someone they helped so much would turn on them in such a horrific way.
It really is a shocking crime.
That's pretty messed up in the state of CA, i wasn't aware of that. And as they say the wheels of Justice grind very slowly as does change to a system, and dreadful they put so many violent offenders back into society, and a big risk to society for sure. Maybe a lot of those citizens there aren't even aware of it either?

Hi ocean, and always good to see you posting too.
You're certainly right in what you say about any character witnesses regarding CM, i doubt he has any friends that would vouch for him.
We can see what he is by the way he treated Joey and his family. I think JM was way too tolerant of him, but think he realized when it was too late, and was planning to get rid of him anyway, but in doing that it was a most dangerous time for JM dealing with someone like CM. I'm sure JM had no idea what CM was really capable of, and who would ever think someone they helped so much would turn on them in such a horrific way.
It really is a shocking crime.
That's pretty messed up in the state of CA, i wasn't aware of that. And as they say the wheels of Justice grind very slowly as does change to a system, and dreadful they put so many violent offenders back into society, and a big risk to society for sure. Maybe a lot of those citizens there aren't even aware of it either?

Morning, Karinna!

Many times the worst enemy they will ever face are within their own circle of friends they mistakenly trusted. CM targeted Joey because he knew he was a good man filled with kindness wanting to see only the good in everyone, but even those like Joey cant ignore any longer the evil intentions of who they once trusted.

Ita, with everything you've said except one thing. Lol!

I think the citizens have to know since they live in CA filled with intelligent citizens. If it's well known by others outside of the state it's very logical to believe most ARE painfully aware.

Many cases where predators, and murderers have been released again to prey on citizens have made national news, Although tragically the so called MSM rarely, if ever, divulges it as they should.

Instead they think by refusing to report all of them it can give a false appearance of what CA citizens have been dealing with for years.

I find most of them online in CA local news outlets or on Fox national news which has more viewers than any other national cable news, and has remained number one for many years. Imo, there is a valid reason for their continuous success. They actually report VETTED news that people care about instead of dwelling on one subject night, and day. Imo.

I have been following an unfolding story concerning rapists, and pedophiles who were all illegal immigrants. 9 or 10 different violent offenders that happened within a few short weeks of each other. :( they all were released instead by local LE.

Due to the city being a sanctuary city the local police let them go even though each one were violent criminals, even though ICE had a legal retainer on all of them.

Anyway the citizens spoke up loudly in protest, and the mayor due to the citizen backlash only wound up having to amend the sanctuary laws, and protections, which are actually allowing, and protecting countless violent offenders to roam these streets again to prey on others again, which unfortunately has continued to happen also.

I follow so many important news stories, but I believe this one is in MD. It's happening all across our nation in many states though. :(

Anyway, CA citizens do know what's happening within their beautiful state. Imo, they too have powerful voices in great numbers who must also rise up, and say they will no longer be silent, and voiceless about all of the grave injustices they are also experiencing.

It's not only in the justice system either. Imo, they have so many harmful things happening now.

Imo that is why those who can afford to leave are moving out in the hundreds or thousands each day. :(

Those who have chosen to stay MUST make a stand to return their gorgeous state back to them, and not under only the smothering control of state government officials that is harming them in so many dangerous ways.

Jmhoo tho.

Last edited:
Morning, Karinna!

Many times the worst enemy they will ever face are within their own circle of friends they mistakenly trusted. CM targeted Joey because he knew he was a good man filled with kindness wanting to see only the good in everyone, but even those like Joey cant ignore any longer the evil intentions of who they once trusted.

Ita, with everything you've said except one thing. Lol!

I think the citizens have to know since they live in CA filled with intelligent citizens. If it's well known by others outside of the state it's very logical to believe most ARE painfully aware.

Many cases where predators, and murderers have been released again to prey on citizens have made national news, Although tragically the so called MSM rarely, if ever, divulges it as they should.

Instead they think by refusing to report all of them it can give a false appearance of what CA citizens have been dealing with for years.

I find most of them online in CA local news outlets or on Fox national news which has more viewers than any other national cable news, and has remained number one for many years. Imo, there is a valid reason for their continuous success. They actually report VETTED news that people care about instead of dwelling on one subject night, and day. Imo.

I have been following an unfolding story concerning rapists, and pedophiles who were all illegal immigrants. 9 or 10 different violent offenders that happened within a few short weeks of each other. :( they all were released instead by local LE.

Due to the city being a sanctuary city the local police let them go even though each one were violent criminals, even though ICE had a legal retainer on all of them.

Anyway the citizens spoke up loudly in protest, and the mayor due to the citizen backlash only wound up having to amend the sanctuary laws, and protections, which are actually allowing, and protecting countless violent offenders to roam these streets again to prey on others again, which unfortunately has continued to happen also.

I follow so many important news stories, but I believe this one is in MD. It's happening all across our nation in many states though. :(

Anyway, CA citizens do know what's happening within their beautiful state. Imo, they too have powerful voices in great numbers who must also rise up, and say they will no longer be silent, and voiceless about all of the grave injustices they are also experiencing.

It's not only in the justice system either. Imo, they have so many harmful things happening now.

Imo that is why those who can afford to leave are moving out in the hundreds or thousands each day. :(

Those who have chosen to stay MUST make a stand to return their gorgeous state back to them, and not under only the smothering control of state government officials that is harming them in so many dangerous ways.

Jmhoo tho.
Yes that's very true about the enemy being in a person's life in some way or another. It happens a lot that psychopaths/sociopaths will predate on someone they know and manipulate a situation for their own personal gain. It's sad when we lose trust in people because of being burnt by them.
And JM and his family paid that price in the worst possible way, :(
And not very well versed in the things happening in CA, so thanks for all that info. I did read a while back a lot of people were leaving the state of CA though.

Morning everyone! LTNS my fellow Meritt trial watchers!
I felt all along JS would resolve the conflict issues.

While we would like to know what specifically the conflicts were, what is most important they have been legally resolved. I have no doubt whatsoever JS put everything on the record that he legally knew is required to be there in order to protect the case.

While this CA trial has been beyond bizarre, I've never heard of any DT using their own chosen strategies against themselves as part of wanting a new trial.

Imoo a new trial will not be granted.

As far as using prosecutorial misconduct that's become so common place now. It's easy to accuse anyone of anything as we saw this DT do throughout the trial, but to actually prove it requires a very high burdern of proof. So is using ineffective assistance of counsel.

All of JSs rulings were soundly based backed up with cited law. If trials are overturned as you know, it is mostly done when the presiding judge erred in their rulings.

The rulings must be so egregious overall it would have changed the overall total outcome against any defendant including the verdict.

Imo, JS made sound legal rulings. He will not grant a new trial he presided over with due diligence. Imo, it's a total waste of time.

As far as the Arias trial, I do not think the appellate court will overturn her trial either. Even if prosecutorial misconduct occurred behind the scenes it did not affect the trial itself, and she was highly represented by KN, and team. She got more than a fair trial. Imoo.

Jmho
No he definitely will not get a new trial. I don't foresee him seeing the light of day outside prison walls ever again. Besides he is as after all "afraid of the light".

No he definitely will not get a new trial. I don't foresee him seeing the light of day outside prison walls ever again. Besides he is as after all "afraid of the light".

Ita! No matter what shenanigans CM pulls or his lawyer he's going to death row where he belongs.

Even death row inmates have their own creed, and do not take lightly those who have murdered two innocent little children, and the way he chose to murder them both will make him even more of a target. Although ruthless, and deadly most have children of their own.

He will be among the worst of the worst who have absolutely nothing to lose.

I'm sure he thinks about that often even though of course he wouldn't openly ever admit it.

Jmho

Friday, November 22nd:
*Deadline for Defense Motions (@ am PT) - CA – Mc Stay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith aka Chase Jarvis (57/now 62) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19. Dark on all Fridays. Jurors started with 8 women & 4 men; now have 9 women & 3 men (alternates started with 4 men & 2 women-alternates left 1 men & 1 woman). Took about 22 hours of deliberations for guilty verdict on all 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstance.
Trial Days (1-63: 1/7/19 thru 6/7/19) & Verdict (6/10/19) & Penalty Phase (Day 1-5: 6/11/19 thru 6/21/19) reference post #998 here:
GUILTY - Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

6/24/19 Day 6: Jurors have reached a verdict after 5 hours of deliberations. It will be read at 4pm. Verdict: Count 1 LWOP (Joey), Count 2 Death (Summer), Count 3 Death (Gianni), Count 4 Death (Joey, Jr.). Judge dismisses jurors. Judge Smith sets sentencing on Sept. 27.
9/27/19 Update: The lead defense attorney James McGee has filed a motion (on 9/17/19) to withdraw from the case and asked to delay the scheduled Friday, Sept. 27, sentencing of his client. In a court filing, James E. McGee said a conflict of interest has emerged that prevents him & a lawyer in his firm from continuing to represent Merritt: “Counsel is informed and believes that the motions Mr. Merritt wishes to bring has created an actual conflict of interest.” Judge met with counsel & Merritt in chambers to discuss further. Judge: Defense needs additional time to file any motions for a new trial and to reduce the sentence. Judge set deadlines: Motions (Motion for New Trial & Motion for Reduction of Sentence) by defense to be filed by Nov 22, response from state Dec. 9. Hearing on McGee's motion to withdraw is set for Nov. 1 (closed hearing). Sentencing hearing was rescheduled for December 13th, post conviction defense motions will also be heard on that date. Both at 1:30pm. Judge: If we reach the point where Mr. McGee still says he has a conflict and he can't continue we need to reassess if Mr. Maline can continue.
11/1/19 Update: McGee was allowed to withdraw and it is solely on Maline now. Also the Sentencing has been changed to Jan. 17, 2020 from Dec. 13, 2019.

Anyone know if the defense filed their motions by 11/22? State's response by 12/9 per my notes.
Then on 12/13 - post conviction defense motions - I "think".

Anyone know if the defense filed their motions by 11/22? State's response by 12/9 per my notes.
Then on 12/13 - post conviction defense motions - I "think".

There is nothing updated on the court site, but not sure if it would show up there if/when it is filed anyway. The sentencing date/post conviction motions were moved to Jan 17/20, so unsure if the dates for filing also changed.

The last update was on the 21st:

11/21/2019 Copy Sent:

Comment
of police report to Appellate Services Unit Attn: Ventura Hoots

Chase Merritt is a baby killer ...be bludgeons babies and their parents in cold blood.

this is the summation of his character, there is nothing left to say.

guilty as charged and prison is too good for him,

Monday, December 9th:
*Deadline for State’s Response to Defense Motions (@ am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith aka Chase Jarvis (57/now 62) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19 & ended 6/24/19. Dark on all Fridays. Jurors started with 8 women & 4 men; now have 9 women & 3 men (alternates started with 4 men & 2 women-alternates left 1 men & 1 woman). Took about 22 hours of deliberations for guilty verdict on all 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstance.
Trial Days (1-63: 1/7/19 thru 6/7/19) & Verdict (6/10/19) & Penalty Phase (Day 1-5: 6/11/19 thru 6/21/19) reference post #998 here:
GUILTY - Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

6/24/19 Day 6: Jurors have reached a verdict after 5 hours of deliberations. It will be read at 4pm. Verdict: Count 1 LWOP (Joey), Count 2 Death (Summer), Count 3 Death (Gianni), Count 4 Death (Joey, Jr.). Judge dismisses jurors. Judge Smith sets sentencing on Sept. 27.
9/27/19 Update: The lead defense attorney James McGee has filed a motion (on 9/17/19) to withdraw from the case and asked to delay the scheduled Friday, Sept. 27, sentencing of his client. In a court filing, James E. McGee said a conflict of interest has emerged that prevents him & a lawyer in his firm from continuing to represent Merritt: “Counsel is informed and believes that the motions Mr. Merritt wishes to bring has created an actual conflict of interest.” Judge met with counsel & Merritt in chambers to discuss further. Judge: Defense needs additional time to file any motions for a new trial and to reduce the sentence. Judge set deadlines: Motions (Motion for New Trial & Motion for Reduction of Sentence) by defense to be filed by Nov 22, response from State Dec. 9. Hearing on McGee's motion to withdraw is set for Nov. 1 (closed hearing). Sentencing hearing was rescheduled for December 13th, post-conviction defense motions will also be heard on that date. Both at 1:30pm. Judge: If we reach the point where Mr. McGee still says he has a conflict and he can't continue we need to reassess if Mr. Maline can continue.
11/1/19 Update: McGee was allowed to withdraw and it is solely on Maline now. Also the Sentencing has been changed to Jan. 17, 2020 from Dec. 13, 2019.

I cannot BELIEVE this is still dragging on. For the love of all that is decent and holy, it will be close to a year since this trial started and he still hasn't been sentenced. It's an unfathomable travesty of justice to me! The only comfort is that Chase is still sitting in jail...but ugh! Terrible.

Ita! No matter what shenanigans CM pulls or his lawyer he's going to death row where he belongs.

Even death row inmates have their own creed, and do not take lightly those who have murdered two innocent little children, and the way he chose to murder them both will make him even more of a target. Although ruthless, and deadly most have children of their own.

He will be among the worst of the worst who have absolutely nothing to lose.

I'm sure he thinks about that often even though of course he wouldn't openly ever admit it.

Jmho

if he is on death row in CA, he wont be physically around other inmates.

if he is on death row in CA, he wont be physically around other inmates.

Really? I didnt know that. Thanks.

I was under the impression they would from seeing photos of Scott Peterson around other death row inmates.

I actually hope it's true though. Total isolation for this gabby conman will be a miserable existence for him.

Jmho

Monday, December 9th:
*Deadline for State’s Response to Defense Motions (@ am PT) - CA - McStay Family: Joseph (40), Summer (43), Gianni (4) & Joey Jr (3) (Feb. 4, 2010, Fallbrook; found Nov. 11, 2013) - *Charles "Chase" Ray Merritt aka Charles Ray Mandel aka Charles Ray Morritt aka Chase Meredith aka Chase Jarvis (57/now 62) arrested (11/5/14) & indicted (11/7/14) of 4 counts of murder with special circumstance. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DP case.
Trial started 1/7/19 & ended 6/24/19. Dark on all Fridays. Jurors started with 8 women & 4 men; now have 9 women & 3 men (alternates started with 4 men & 2 women-alternates left 1 men & 1 woman). Took about 22 hours of deliberations for guilty verdict on all 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstance.

9/27/19 Update: The lead defense attorney James McGee has filed a motion (on 9/17/19) to withdraw from the case and asked to delay the scheduled Friday, Sept. 27, sentencing of his client. In a court filing, James E. McGee said a conflict of interest has emerged that prevents him & a lawyer in his firm from continuing to represent Merritt: “Counsel is informed and believes that the motions Mr. Merritt wishes to bring has created an actual conflict of interest.” Judge met with counsel & Merritt in chambers to discuss further. Judge: Defense needs additional time to file any motions for a new trial and to reduce the sentence. Judge set deadlines: Motions (Motion for New Trial & Motion for Reduction of Sentence) by defense to be filed by Nov 22, response from State Dec. 9. Hearing on McGee's motion to withdraw is set for Nov. 1 (closed hearing). Sentencing hearing was rescheduled for December 13th, post-conviction defense motions will also be heard on that date. Both at 1:30pm. Judge: If we reach the point where Mr. McGee still says he has a conflict and he can't continue we need to reassess if Mr. Maline can continue.
Is the hearing still happening today? Heard it was vacated, or was that the Dec 9th one?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back