Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s weird, says page not found when I click on the link.
Found another link:
http://highplainsobserver.com/mdeta...d-thomas-brown-signs-in-canadian-p32741-1.htm

Monday, November 04, 2019
“An HPO announcement was made Tuesday,
November 5, that an arrest was imminent for the person who destroyed some Thomas Brown signs placed about in Canadian, Texas.

Prominent resident, Dr. Malouf Abraham, will be charged with a misdemeanor but is currently in Florida.

Abraham is not required to return, but plans to appear at the courthouse next time he's in town to be officially charged.

KXDJ's Chris Samples has an interview planned on Tuesday, November 12, with Abraham's son, Salem, to elaborate on the situation and story of the signs. The Perryton Today Show will be at 9:15 A.M.
[SBM]

A Canadian resident told the HPO that many think the signs are misleading and cast a doubt on ‘who Canadian is’, stating that Malouf did what many wished they would have done but didn't.
[SBM]”

I am having a very hard time understanding the sentiment expressed in the last paragraph. I look forward to listening to the interview with his son.

Found another link:
http://highplainsobserver.com/mdeta...d-thomas-brown-signs-in-canadian-p32741-1.htm

November 5, that an arrest was imminent for the person who destroyed some Thomas Brown signs placed about in Canadian, Texas.

Prominent resident, Dr. Malouf Abraham, will be charged with a misdemeanor but is currently in Florida.

Abraham is not required to return, but plans to appear at the courthouse next time he's in town to be officially charged.

KXDJ's Chris Samples has an interview planned on Tuesday, November 12, with Abraham's son, Salem, to elaborate on the situation and story of the signs. The Perryton Today Show will be at 9:15 A.M.
[SBM]

A Canadian resident told the HPO that many think the signs are misleading and cast a doubt on ‘who Canadian is’, stating that Malouf did what many wished they would have done but didn't.
[SBM]”

I am having a very hard time understanding the sentiment expressed in the last paragraph. I look forward to listening to the interview with his son.

BBM
Being raised in West Texas and having connections to small town life, I think this has a lot to do with appearances.

So many families in small towns keep their family business private because they want their dysfunctional lives to appear normal.

I think this person just wants to sweep this unpleasantness under the carpet, along with a lot of other people in town.

Not that they don't want Justice for Thomas......let's just not advertise it in open! JMO

Found another link:

[SBM]

[SBM]”

I'm with you, IMHO. This attitude is incomprehensible. If many residents there feel that way then that reveals much more about the town than the fact of there being an unsolved homicide reveals. If they don't want Tom's death to reflect badly on their town, how about they STEP UP and SPEAK OUT and say "enough is enough, Tom deserves justice, Tom's family deserves to know what happened to him". If enough people stood up and sided with Tom's family, then the town would be known for rallying around innocent victims and their family members instead of for trying to silence them. Maybe the people who are embarrassed about there being a killer among them don't know anything about what happened to Tom. But if they choose to try to silence calls for justice it is the same thing as aiding and abetting the killer. Someone in that town knows something that can solve this case and it's time for the good people of the town to call out those who have info but are being silent. It's also time for the honest people to get rid of the corruption in their town. I hope the wealthy/prominent man who vandalized the signs is ashamed of himself and changes his mind to choosing to use his resources to help instead of hinder the case. MOO.

I'm with you, IMHO. This attitude is incomprehensible. If many residents there feel that way then that reveals much more about the town than the fact of there being an unsolved homicide reveals. If they don't want Tom's death to reflect badly on their town, how about they STEP UP and SPEAK OUT and say "enough is enough, Tom deserves justice, Tom's family deserves to know what happened to him". If enough people stood up and sided with Tom's family, then the town would be known for rallying around innocent victims and their family members instead of for trying to silence them. Maybe the people who are embarrassed about there being a killer among them don't know anything about what happened to Tom. But if they choose to try to silence calls for justice it is the same thing as aiding and abetting the killer. Someone in that town knows something that can solve this case and it's time for the good people of the town to call out those who have info but are being silent. It's also time for the honest people to get rid of the corruption in their town. I hope the wealthy/prominent man who vandalized the signs is ashamed of himself and changes his mind to choosing to use his resources to help instead of hinder the case. MOO.
Very, very well said, Gardener. I agree with everything you said. In fact, when I first read the article, I got sick to my stomach. Come Thanksgiving, it will be THREE years since Thomas went missing. All Penny is asking for is the truth. What parent in her situation wouldn’t want the same?

I also appreciate nannymo sharing her/his perspective. Having followed this case since the beginning, it does appear that what she/he suggested is exactly what’s going on. It’s in-comprehensible to the point where in a way, I find it fascinating.

Another thing I struggle to understand about those who appear to want this to simply go away, and those with information: As long as they are protecting the killer, there is always a chance that what happened to Tom will happen to another child. Is that what it’s going to take for someone to finally speak up or the community to demand justice: The murder of one of their own? The individual directly responsible for Tom’s murder already believes he is above the law, and the chances are good that he will reoffend, IMO.

So why is this doctor so upset? It’s not like he lives year round there - he has a home in Sarasota Florida where he is currently.
Doesn’t state a date when he plans to return either. Just next time he’s in town.
Think if it was his son or grandson with all the suspicious things surrounding Tom’s death.

So why is this doctor so upset? It’s not like he lives year round there - he has a home in Sarasota Florida where he is currently.
Doesn’t state a date when he plans to return either. Just next time he’s in town.
Think if it was his son or grandson with all the suspicious things surrounding Tom’s death.

This family has been there for generations and other family members live there. They own multiple businesses and property in town, and the family has invested a tremendous amount into making the community what it is today. it is a lovely little town with amenities much greater than most area towns of the same size, and this is in large part due to the contributions of this family over the decades. Bear in mind that this man is now elderly and has probably been very saddened to see the conflicts and hostility that the aftermath of Tom's disappearance and death has caused within the community. I would assume he spends winters in FL, but I'm unsure on that--could just be a family vacation home. I do know that I read previously where his son Salem (who is giving the interview this week), did turn over videos from his business to Penny from the night Tom went missing, so it appears some family members have tried to help the investigation in the past.

Although it is a double standard not to arrest Dr. Abraham, it's quite likely the city is consulting with his lawyer and negotiating terms, etc. I could see why because of Dr. Abraham's age and his tremendous importance to the community, it would be difficult to know how to handle this situation.

If you do a search on the Hemphill County Appraisal District website, you will see that there are around 200 pieces of property (which includes land, houses, businesses) and around 500 parcels of mineral rights owned by an Abraham family member or entity. That is just in one county, and they also own land and businesses in other nearby counties. County population is less than 4,000 people. This illustrates how prominent and integral the Abraham family is to the town. There are other prominent families in the area who also own large pieces of land, etc. but the Abraham family is likely the largest by far.

This is what the vandalism looked like:
upload_2019-11-11_14-37-6.png
He cut out the part about there being "a killer among us". I guess he's ok with praying for Tom's killer to be brought to justice but didn't agree that the killer is living in Canadian?
Like if the signs had only omitted that phrase they would have been ok? :confused::rolleyes:
So petty and heartless. MOO.
Canadian family says although son is gone and signs damaged, his case lives on

Is it the location of the signs also that people don’t like?

The two placed together is odd - like it’s aimed at someone in particular.

Facing the sheriff’s department? Courthouse?

The signs Malouf Abraham took were on his son's business property. Those were different than the ones that were vandalized.

I just listened to the KXDJ radio interview of Salem Abraham. It was very helpful. I imagine the audio will be released in segments on highplainsobserverperryton.com sometime this week.

Salem grew up and graduated with Tom's mom Penny and several of his kids were in high school when Tom disappeared. His daughter was Tom's friend, and they were involved in speech/debate and student government together.

Salem firmly believes Tom was murdered and that there is no way he committed suicide. He committed to Penny that he would file trespassing charges against whoever took the signs. Eyewitnesses who had seen Dr. Abraham take the signs came forward with that information, and Salem pressed charges against his own dad. He said that he firmly believes in following the rules, and that he would have pressed charges against anyone for taking the signs--that he thinks it is wrong for someone who is prominent or wealthy to get special treatment when it comes to following rules/breaking laws, etc.

Salem expressed a desire for the entire community to support Penny and the search for the truth behind who killed Tom Brown. He said if it were one of his kids who had died, he would have put even more signs and billboards up all over in the search for answers.

All in all, I feel very positively towards Salem Abraham after hearing his heart. It's easy to see why the Abraham family is held in such high regard in Canadian. Although I still don't fully understand why Dr. Abraham felt compelled to remove the signs, I am not going to berate an 80 year old man for doing something he thought was in the best interest of the town he loves. However, he should still face the consequences, and I hope he has had time now to think about what he did and why it was wrong!

The signs Malouf Abraham took were on his son's business property. Those were different than the ones that were vandalized.

I just listened to the KXDJ radio interview of Salem Abraham. It was very helpful. I imagine the audio will be released in segments on highplainsobserverperryton.com sometime this week.

Salem grew up and graduated with Tom's mom Penny and several of his kids were in high school when Tom disappeared. His daughter was Tom's friend, and they were involved in speech/debate and student government together.

Salem firmly believes Tom was murdered and that there is no way he committed suicide. He committed to Penny that he would file trespassing charges against whoever took the signs. Eyewitnesses who had seen Dr. Abraham take the signs came forward with that information, and Salem pressed charges against his own dad. He said that he firmly believes in following the rules, and that he would have pressed charges against anyone for taking the signs--that he thinks it is wrong for someone who is prominent or wealthy to get special treatment when it comes to following rules/breaking laws, etc.

Salem expressed a desire for the entire community to support Penny and the search for the truth behind who killed Tom Brown. He said if it were one of his kids who had died, he would have put even more signs and billboards up all over in the search for answers.

All in all, I feel very positively towards Salem Abraham after hearing his heart. It's easy to see why the Abraham family is held in such high regard in Canadian. Although I still don't fully understand why Dr. Abraham felt compelled to remove the signs, I am not going to berate an 80 year old man for doing something he thought was in the best interest of the town he loves. However, he should still face the consequences, and I hope he has had time now to think about what he did and why it was wrong!
Thanks for this very enlightening update (IMO). Perhaps there is hope for Justice for Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member