GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

OH, thanks for reminder!

I wonder how a guy seen on the lawn on Saturday can refuse a polygraph if he's considered a suspect and seems LOGICAL he would be a suspect or POI ! That should be enough to get a warrant or whatever is needed to force a polygraph?? OR since they arent allowed in court, can that even be forced!?

I still wonder who this guy was that was never discussed further by SS once he was questioned and released.......was not a big news story, you'd think it would be!.....but ..makes sense he wouldnt take a poly.....

Im sure they know who did it, just need some damning proof

No one can be forced to take a polygraph examination.

I wish this case would be solved. This area is so beautiful and secure. I think the only why in would have been by boat.Very strict gated community.

Thank you, that makes sense

So maybe there is how SS knows who it is and they wont take a polygraph, seems somewhat telling

Seems it COULD BE the man on the lawn.......... the reason SS said he suspects a few but no proof and since one article said the Man on the lawn was questioned and released.......

So IF he was in fact questioned and refused a polygraph, then how did SS come to know WHO this man was to be able to question him since no one could positively identify him

If found out and he didnt come forward of his own accord, it looks really bad. So DID HE COME FORWARD?? It was never told in the news

ALso, IF the man on the lawn came forward .......is that all SS gets to do is question him and listen to his lies and release him? Since he was AT the crime scene the day of the crime I would hope there would be more there to hold him

I do remember SS stating in at least one of his interviews that there has been zero coming out of the prisons, meaning nobody inside seems to have any knowledge, or be talking about it. That would make sense if it was someone who isn't from that world, but did it just this once for whatever reason, and hasn't been caught or in prison yet. An as-of-yet unlikely prison candidate.
Many of those in history, finally one day they're caught

I understand..........he is wishy washy or his talk is confusing for whatever reason.......he's probalby dropping hints but they end up being confusing instead

Wondering if he was questioned and released adn maybe later he still considers him a suspect because he wouldnt take a polygraph

I would have thought it would be big news though

Reason for my anger ad confusion, this article stating it but SS talking as if he hasnt been discovered

BUT SS I believe said there is more than one that he has suspicions of but with no real reasons, just his suspicions......so that would rule out the man on the lawn.............him being there the day of the murders is REASON to suspect him

This is why I went searching for words directly out of the mouth of SS, rather than MSM articles, since we can't be sure whether SS actually said that, or if something got confused between SS saying something and the reporter writing it differently. I transcribed some of his interviews, and pretty much don't pay a lot of attention to articles that say he said something, unless he is directly quoted with quote marks. (Even then I suppose there is room for error, but hopefully a lot less error, and hopefully if it was said wrong, SS would let the reporter know?)

I have said before that I believe SS speaks in a way which CAN (presumably intentionally) make it confusing, and keep people not really knowing what's going on. There was talk at one point about a cement/concrete contraI underctor - he was interviewed; I'm wondering if he kind of intertwines subjects while he's talking and then it leads to misrepresentations and misunderstandings, which perhaps SS never asks the reporter(s) to correct in the end story. Just my impression of SS.

I think three people were involved like I’ve always said. One female and two males. Maybe the man on the lawn had a reason or excuse for being at the Dermonds. If you remember two guys have refused polygraphs.

The only reason that makes sense to me is that the evidence is so thin that unless someone comes and tells him information then what little evidence they have won’t stick.

I understand..........he is wishy washy or his talk is confusing for whatever reason.......he's probalby dropping hints but they end up being confusing instead

Wondering if he was questioned and released adn maybe later he still considers him a suspect because he wouldnt take a polygraph

I would have thought it would be big news though

Reason for my anger ad confusion, this article stating it but SS talking as if he hasnt been discovered

BUT SS I believe said there is more than one that he has suspicions of but with no real reasons, just his suspicions......so that would rule out the man on the lawn.............him being there the day of the murders is REASON to suspect him

I think three people were involved like I’ve always said. One female and two males. Maybe the man on the lawn had a reason or excuse for being at the Dermonds. If you remember two guys have refused polygraphs.

The only reason that makes sense to me is that the evidence is so thin that unless someone comes and tells him information then what little evidence they have won’t stick.
How do we know it was 'two guys' who refused polygraphs, as opposed to a guy and a female, or two females?

True, and if SS had a 'person of interest', meaning someone he thought might be able to shed some kind of light on the events, and he subsequently brought that person(s) in for questioning, perhaps not even as a 'suspect', but just in hopes of getting further in the case, and that person refused to speak to police, which is their right.. that could have elevated that person's status to more of a suspect in SS's eyes? Not only can people refuse a polygraph, they can also refuse to answer questions, or even to say a word at *all*. IIRC, SS said one 'spoke' and one didn't, even though both refused polygraphs. Just goes to show how much police rely on people 'talking', in order to move a case forward.

I’ve asked this twice and never received a reply.

is the Sheriff investigating this case by himself or does he have a detective unit at his disposal?

I know that he turned down an offer of help from the GBI.

My assumption is SS has (and would utilize) a team of detectives.

IIRC he stated that he welcomed help from any LE source. And, he also talked about sources he had used to solve this case. I thought this was on the "Into The Case" podcast - but those recordings don't seem to work for me now.

My assumption is SS has (and would utilize) a team of detectives.

IIRC he stated that he welcomed help from any LE source. And, he also talked about sources he had used to solve this case. I thought this was on the "Into The Case" podcast - but those recordings don't seem to work for me now.

I saw him on television and on a podcast and both times he said he didn’t need the GBI.

Just found out that the county has less than 20 deputies and one investigator (probably Sills). That there is the reason that this is an unsolved case.
I think he has access to resources *if* he asks for assistance. I think he spoke about having the resources to interview 200 people in one day. (The issue would be whether he would ask for assistance if he wasn't getting anywhere after years?)

From one of his interviews, although I believe he has stated this in many of his interviews:
(Transcribed by me)
INSIDE EDITION InDepth
6:02 AM PDT, May 9, 2018
SS: As far as suspects, we still don’t *have* any suspects. Maintenance workers, yard workers, uh people like that, their children, their adult children, we’ve found out uh, where they were at the time, uh uh, we polygraphed them, uh and then we interviewed uh hundreds of people. We simultaneously, my detectives along with the FBI and uh, detectives from other sheriffs’ offices, interviewed over 200 people one day, certainly never done anything like that before.
Timeline of 2 Murders: How the Killings of Russell and Shirley Dermond Unfolded

I can’t copy and paste because I’m on a phone.

in May of 2018 Sills was interviewed by channel 11 in Atlanta about his refusal to use the resources of the GBI. His response was nonsensical. Then he added his distaste for the Georgia State Patrol (state police). He said that the GSP is not allowed to use the Putman County station or jail for any reason.

Those things are prima fascia evidence why elected sheriffs are counterproductive. Years ago I had to drive up into the wilds of Virginia to a very rural county to interview someone in a murder case. The newly elected sheriff gave me the use of his interview room. What I’ll never forget is that the sheriff had been a tow truck driver before he ran for sheriff.

And you wonder why the Dermond case is still open?

I can’t copy and paste because I’m on a phone.

in May of 2018 Sills was interviewed by channel 11 in Atlanta about his refusal to use the resources of the GBI. His response was nonsensical. Then he added his distaste for the Georgia State Patrol (state police). He said that the GSP is not allowed to use the Putman County station or jail for any reason.

Those things are prima fascia evidence why elected sheriffs are counterproductive. Years ago I had to drive up into the wilds of Virginia to a very rural county to interview someone in a murder case. The newly elected sheriff gave me the use of his interview room. What I’ll never forget is that the sheriff had been a tow truck driver before he ran for sheriff.

And you wonder why the Dermond case is still open?
Yes, he is an interesting fellow, for sure. This must be the interview referred to. Is there no way for the public to insist that he get the GBI involved? (Or is it too late now anyway?):

Sheriff Sills Interview – Why he won’t ask GBI for help

11Alive News
May 3, 2018

Part of interview:

SS: I don’t understand why I’m expected to call the GBI.

Doug Richards: To get a second or third set of eyes on the case file?

SS: Well we’ve done that early on. If I *need* em, I’ll *call*.

Doug Richards: In *most* Georgia counties the Georgia Bureau of Investigation *is* the lead investigator in murder cases. The GBI has a crime lab which processed physical evidence in the Dermond murders. GBI investigators routinely assist local investigators, *when* local officials request help. So why won’t Sheriff Sills do it?

SS: I’ve had repeated cases early in my career where political involvement, uh, there was a litmus test uh, in the way that they did things, uh, that I just don’t care to be around. Uh, I’ve been involved in investigations where uh, they’ve literally uh, told people to destroy evidence?

Doug Richards: Sills declined to describe those incidents on the record. The GBI declined comment. Sheriff Sill’s disdain for the GBI extends to another state-run police agency, the Georgia State Patrol. When state troopers make arrests in Putnam County they have to book their suspects into the Eatonton City Jail to get them photographed and fingerprinted because Sills won’t let them do it at his jail.

SS: I will gladly follow my duties in accordance with law. But, I’m not gonna kiss the Georgia State Patrol’s **advertiser censored**, when I don’t see a need to.

Doug Richards: Sills says he is still seeking tips *and* assistance from the public to help solve the Dermond murders.

SS: I’d work with the *devil* if I thought I could find out who killed these people.

Doug Richards: But he won’t ask for help from the GBI. In Eatonton, Doug Richards, 11Alive News.

What's odd though, is he didtn come forward right away............I still would think it would be big news........still confused about this.........was it a decoy to scare someone out? Did the journalist misquote? Did the man come forward sooner than we think? What was the reasons for delaying coming forward......if he exists did he refuse a poly?

IDK, still so many questions to me

I posted a while back that ALL THE FAMILY HAS TO DO is take it over SS head to the GBI........information discovered, not sure if I posted a link.....dont remember where i foudn that info

Not sure if the public can do insist though

AND.....SS has a deep hatred for the GBI it seems. Remember in the nuwapian case, they tried to have SS investigated.......maybe he was borderline pushing the law IDK

BUT GBI is tainted a bit...........and a current murder case I know of in GA , it's being investigated now, they may have withheld evidence required by brady law to turn over to defense atty.......

I dont know if they can do anything, another set of eyes would be beyond awesome though!

It could be any professionals willing to help out.....

Maybe SS could get a cold case team going

Anything

And I still dont think the county/states databases are linked though......which would be more helpful......

Just some thoughts and opinions
Yes, he is an interesting fellow, for sure. This must be the interview referred to. Is there no way for the public to insist that he get the GBI involved? (Or is it too late now anyway?):

Sheriff Sills Interview – Why he won’t ask GBI for help

11Alive News
May 3, 2018

Part of interview:

SS: I don’t understand why I’m expected to call the GBI.

Doug Richards: To get a second or third set of eyes on the case file?

SS: Well we’ve done that early on. If I *need* em, I’ll *call*.

Doug Richards: In *most* Georgia counties the Georgia Bureau of Investigation *is* the lead investigator in murder cases. The GBI has a crime lab which processed physical evidence in the Dermond murders. GBI investigators routinely assist local investigators, *when* local officials request help. So why won’t Sheriff Sills do it?

SS: I’ve had repeated cases early in my career where political involvement, uh, there was a litmus test uh, in the way that they did things, uh, that I just don’t care to be around. Uh, I’ve been involved in investigations where uh, they’ve literally uh, told people to destroy evidence?

Doug Richards: Sills declined to describe those incidents on the record. The GBI declined comment. Sheriff Sill’s disdain for the GBI extends to another state-run police agency, the Georgia State Patrol. When state troopers make arrests in Putnam County they have to book their suspects into the Eatonton City Jail to get them photographed and fingerprinted because Sills won’t let them do it at his jail.

SS: I will gladly follow my duties in accordance with law. But, I’m not gonna kiss the Georgia State Patrol’s **advertiser censored**, when I don’t see a need to.

Doug Richards: Sills says he is still seeking tips *and* assistance from the public to help solve the Dermond murders.

SS: I’d work with the *devil* if I thought I could find out who killed these people.

Doug Richards: But he won’t ask for help from the GBI. In Eatonton, Doug Richards, 11Alive News.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back