OK OK - Lauria Bible, 16, & Ashley Freeman, 16, Welch, 30 December 1999 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday, November 1st:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 9am CT) - OK – Danny (40) & Kathy Freeman (37), their daughter Ashley (16) & her friend Lauria Bible (16) (Dec. 29-30, 1999, Welch; girls have not been found) - *Ronnie Dean Busick (66/37 @ time of crime) was arrested (4/22/18) & official charged (4/30/18) with 2 counts of first-degree murder with malice aforethought or accessory to 1st degree murder, 2 additional counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of kidnapping, and 1 count of first-degree arson or accessory to 1st degree arson. $1M bond.
Two other men, Warren Philip "Phil" Welch II (61) died in 2007 & David A. Pennington (56) died in 2015, are implicated in the deaths but have themselves died.
5/11/18: The state is also seeking a hearing seeking the excusing of the endorsements of witnesses, who are only identified by initials in the probable cause affidavit. The case was continued to July 13, when a preliminary hearing will be set.
7/13/18 Update: A preliminary hearing for Busick has been set for 9/14. 9/14/18: Next hearing on Dec. 21.
12/21/18 Update: Defense says Busick is incompetent to stand trial, asks Judge to have mental evaluation done on his mental status. Preliminary hearing rescheduled for 2/22/19.
2/22/19 Update: Preliminary hearing on 4/12. 4/12/19: Next Preliminary hearing on 6/14. 6/14/19: Discussion today about three possible mental evaluations. One prior mental evaluation test gave Busick a 74 IQ. Next hearing on 7/12.
7/12/19 Update: The next hearing has been set for Sept. 27 to give officials enough time to conduct a total of three competency evaluations to determine if Busick is mentally fit to stand trial. 9/27/19: Preliminary hearing on 11/1.

I can not access this article even with Outline - can someone give a 10% synopsis on this please?

https://www.fourstateshomepage.com/...o-stand-trial-for-1999-quadruple-murder-case/
That link isn't working for me, but I've found a different article from yesterday.

VINITA, Okla. — The question of whether Ronnie D. Busick is competent to stand trial in four murders, including those of Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible, nearly 20 years ago could be considered before the year is out.

During a hearing held Friday in Craig County District Court in Vinita, the judge set the next hearing for Busick, 68, of Wichita, for 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 19.

“On that date, we expect (the) judge will set a competency trial date in December,” she said, after speaking with District Attorney Matt Ballard after the hearing. “I would only be guessing at what (the) judge knows, but if a competency trial is expected in December, I would imagine all competency reports are complete. But can’t officially confirm that.”

The suspect's competency has been questioned by his attorneys because of a brain injury he sustained from a gunshot wound to the head in 1978, as well as a history of drug abuse.

https://www.fourstateshomepage.com/...o-stand-trial-for-1999-quadruple-murder-case/

Dressed in deep blue jail clothing, Busick shuffled into the courtroom last Friday slowly, using a cane to walk. During this court hearing, Busick was seated with other inmates in the jury box during his appearance.

Busick searched the courtroom with his eyes, saw the Bible and Freeman family members present, and took in a deep breath while waiting for the court proceedings to begin.

Related Stories
‘It’s like day one’ - Arrest made in missing Welch girls case

Affidavit reveals shocking details in missing Welch girls case – Insurance card key to arrest

Busick back in Craig County to face charges

At one point it appeared Busick asked another inmate to shield him from being videoed from a television reporter aiming a camera at him through the courtroom door window.

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation and Craig County Sheriff’s Office investigators continue to follow any new leads and ask anyone with any further information of the crimes to come forward. A $50,000 reward is offered for information that may help solve the crimes.

This is heartbreaking. I can't help but wonder if LE had followed the insurance card lead immediately if the girls might have been found alive?

Friday, April 12th:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 9am CT) - OK – Danny (40) & Kathy Freeman (37), their daughter Ashley (16) & her friend Lauria Bible (16) (Dec. 29-30, 1999, Welch; girls have not been found) - *Ronnie Dean Busick (66/37 @ time of crime) was arrested (4/22/18) & official charged (4/30/18) with 2 counts of first-degree murder with malice aforethought or accessory to 1st degree murder, 2 additional counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of kidnapping, and 1 count of first-degree arson or accessory to 1st degree arson. $1M bond. Craig County
Two other men, Warren Philip "Phil" Welch II (61) died in 2007 & David A. Pennington (56) died in 2015, are implicated in the deaths but have themselves died.
5/11/18: The state is also seeking a hearing seeking the excusing of the endorsements of witnesses, who are only identified by initials in the probable cause affidavit. The case was continued to July 13, when a preliminary hearing will be set.
7/13/18 Update: A preliminary hearing for Busick has been set for 9/14. 9/14/18: Next hearing on Dec. 21.
12/21/18 Update: Defense says Busick is incompetent to stand trial, asks Judge to have mental eval done on his mental status. Preliminary hearing rescheduled for 2/22/19.
2/22/19 Update: Preliminary hearing on 4/12.

What does it mean that the state is seeking "the excusing of the endorsements of witnesses, who are only identified by initials in the probable cause affidavit?" TIA I'm not familiar with that phrase.

Very troubling that many people kept quiet. Wouldn't of saved the girls but I believe it would of led to the girls remains and punishment of perps. I understand the fear these guys had over people but how do they look at themselves in mirror.. :(

It might have saved the girls. I read in an article upthread that the insurance card was found within 2 days of the fire, iirc. And the girls were kept alive for days rather than hours. This case is so heartbreaking, and infuriating at the same time. I can't imagine being a surviving family member and having to deal with this knowledge. :(:(:(:(

Tuesday, Novmber 19th:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 9am CT) - OK – Danny (40) & Kathy Freeman (37), their daughter Ashley (16) & her friend Lauria Bible (16) (Dec. 29-30, 1999, Welch; girls have not been found) - *Ronnie Dean Busick (66/37 @ time of crime) was arrested (4/22/18) & official charged (4/30/18) with 2 counts of first-degree murder with malice aforethought or accessory to 1st degree murder, 2 additional counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of kidnapping, and 1 count of first-degree arson or accessory to 1st degree arson. $1M bond.
12/21/18 Update: Defense says Busick is incompetent to stand trial, asks Judge to have mental evaluation done on his mental status. Preliminary hearing rescheduled for 2/22/19.
2/22/19 Update: Preliminary hearing on 4/12. 4/12/19: Next Preliminary hearing on 6/14. 6/14/19: Discussion today about three possible mental evaluations. One prior mental evaluation test gave Busick a 74 IQ. Next hearing on 7/12.
7/12/19 Update: The next hearing has been set for Sept. 27 to give officials enough time to conduct a total of three competency evaluations to determine if Busick is mentally fit to stand trial. 9/27/19: Preliminary hearing on 11/1.
11/1/19 Update: Found competent to stand trial. Next preliminary hearing on 11/19.

11/1/19 Update: Found competent to stand trial. Next preliminary hearing on 11/19.
RSBM. Are you sure he's been found competent? I didn't think they'd had the competency hearing yet:

Nov 1, 2019

During a hearing held Friday in Craig County District Court in Vinita, the judge set the next hearing for Busick, 68, of Wichita, for 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 19.

“On that date, we expect (the) judge will set a competency trial date in December,” she said, after speaking with District Attorney Matt Ballard after the hearing. “I would only be guessing at what (the) judge knows, but if a competency trial is expected in December, I would imagine all competency reports are complete. But can’t officially confirm that.”

https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/local_news/ronnie-busick-s-competency-evaluation-results-could-be-heard-before/article_07faa771-6b5b-5205-90d6-d8e08581619f.html

Tuesday's search is only to asses the integrity of the shaft and to help them decide if they can search it in the future.

Investigators are working with experts who specialize in mine searches to try and help them locate the girls' remains.

Busick is currently in prison, and said he has no idea where the girls' remains are and denies any role in their deaths.

Tuesday's search begins at 11 a.m.
Investigators To Search In Picher For Remains Of Welch Girls Kidnapped in 1999

DA: Search to continue for remains of Welch girls missing since 1999

A mine shaft in the Tar Creek area of northern Ottawa County where a witness reported to authorities he saw two deceased murder suspects leave will be looked at by authorities to determine whether a camera can be lowered into the shaft.

“This is not a search for the Welch girls,” said Gary Stansill, District 12 District Attorney’s Office investigator, referring to Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible, the two missing 16-year-old Craig County best friends who disappeared almost two decades ago.

The camera drop is scheduled for Tuesday.
Tip about missing Welch girls prompts plan to test camera in mine shaft

Jury trial to determine competency set for suspect in Welch girls' killings

Last edited:
“We're actually not searching," said Gary Stansill, an investigator with district attorney Matt Bullard’s office serving Craig, Mayes and Rogers counties. "We're making an assessment of the walls of the shaft to see if it is searchable."
upload_2019-11-26_13-58-50.jpeg

Investigators on Tuesday search a mineshaft in Picher to see if it's safe for divers to conduct a search for the remains of two missing Welch girls.
Credit: Globe | Gary Crow

Justin Farley, a member of the dive team, said, "As far as putting a diver down in something like this it would be almost impossible."
Submersible camera used to search mine shaft for remains of missing girls

The camera was lowered into the mine shaft in the Tar Creek area of northern Ottawa County.

"It’s the same mine shaft where a witness reported to authorities he saw three men,” said Gary Stansill, District 12 District Attorney investigator.

“This sighting was sometime in 2000 — he remembered it was warmer weather,” Stansill said. “He also remembered the vehicle they were in. He gave details of the vehicle and description of the individuals he saw.”
Authorities lower camera into mine shaft as part of investigation of missing Welch girls

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member