Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few details from the article - I think it's within 10%

Earlier in proceedings forensic pathologist Dr Simon Stables said a deep internal bruise on the 22-year-old's neck and others on her chest and arms suggest she was pinned down with considerable force.

He told jurors at Auckland's High Court her alleged killer's claims that she died during consensual 'rough' sex were the first of their kind he had come across in New Zealand.

Dr Stables said: 'From my point of view it is incredibly rare. I have never heard of another case.... in New Zealand.'

[...]

Dr Simons gave cause of death as 'pressure to the neck', explaining it would need to be sustained with immense pressure for four to five minutes.

The bruise was deep inside the neck, he added, and invisible on the surface, suggesting it happened at the time of death.

Other, blue bruises on her torso, he said, were 'consistent with some level of restraint.'

Dr Stables said that obstructing the blood flow or the airways in the neck to cause death by cutting oxygen to the brain would require between two and five kilograms of pressure.

The woman said the man had pretended to be dying of cancer on the night of their Tinder date in November last year [...]

He also said an All Blacks player was his cousin and had invited him to watch New Zealand's last game with the team's wives and girlfriends, she said.

He even pretended to call the star and leave a phone message for him, she told the court.

The man also boasted about a $500,000 business deal he had pulled off that day and told her he had been raped by a male relative but had enlisted members of a gang to chase the man away.

She added: 'I didn't believe a word he said.

Grace Millane suspect tells police he left her after date, but he actually took her to his hotel | Daily Mail Online

He lies about anything and everything - his credibility is shot at this early stage of the trial - I'm pretty sure on that basis alone he'll be convicted. I'll bet there's a lot to come out after trial about this fantasist, and could be the reason there is name supression.

As for Grace having no defensive injuries or broken nails, that says it all. Defence attorney has only highlighted that she couldn't move.

He lies about anything and everything - his credibility is shot at this early stage of the trial - I'm pretty sure on that basis alone he'll be convicted. I'll bet there's a lot to come out after trial about this fantasist, and could be the reason there is name supression.

As for Grace having no defensive injuries or broken nails, that says it all. Defence attorney has only highlighted that she couldn't move.

Yes which matches the woman witness

he kneeled on their arms

Wow, just watched the interview. He’s so brazen with his lies, how did he think they wouldn’t see any cctv that contradicted his story and proved he was lying? I don’t understand how he was so delusional in thinking he wouldn’t get found out??

A lot of these types are not very clever - they just think they are smarter than everyone else.

I mean for starters, killing someone on a tinder date puts you in the picture as suspect no 1 straight up

I agree that he thinks he is very smart and able to pull the wool over people's eyes. I felt that he might have thrown in that comment about feeling 'safe' to demonstrate that he is safety conscious and also a sense of vulnerability about him and that as such he is no threat - this image he paints of himself seems to totally go against the evidence we have heard in court though!

I'm beginning to think that he was building up to wanting to kill, even though he hadn't actually formulated a plan for body disposal until afterwards. I think it was more than recklessness. Possibly a hatred of women and Grace being a traveller presented him with the opportunity of getting away with it. He obviously wasn't aware of the hotel cameras.

He chose an unusual route, he said, because “it’s a lot safer than walking down the backstreets.”

In fact, the court has heard, the man and Grace carried on drinking at two more bars before entering his at the GBP190 a week apartment at CityLife hotel on central Auckland’s main thoroughfare, Queen Street.

Oh it’s less than I was expecting!

It is actually scary how delusional and brazen this guy is, a clear pattern of lies and delusions of grandeur shows he doesn’t have even an ounce of credibility. Really hope justice prevails here because the best thing for this guy is for him to never see day light again.

I hope he gets put away in jail for life. He is a danger to women. I keep thinking of Grace’s last moments. She would have been so scared. Probably shocked that the friendly man she spent the evening chatting and drinking with was a cold, calculating murderer. She should have been able to go home safely that night and celebrate her birthday the next day. To call up her family, hear their birthday wishes and eventually return home after a great adventure and see them again. Instead she had her life stolen from her. It makes me so angry that he is even allowed to use this ridiculous defence.

I hope he gets put away in jail for life. He is a danger to women. I keep thinking of Grace’s last moments. She would have been so scared. Probably shocked that the friendly man she spent the evening chatting and drinking with was a cold, calculating murderer. She should have been able to go home safely that night and celebrate her birthday the next day. To call up her family, hear their birthday wishes and eventually return home after a great adventure and see them again. Instead she had her life stolen from her. It makes me so angry that he is even allowed to use this ridiculous defence.

Danger to women for sure. That has to be the most important point here.

Finally caught up! Thanks @jamjim for the updates!

How the defense treats these people is absolutely disgusting!!!!

Something has to change with this kind of evidence.

Why would the witness want to humiliate herself in Court? There needs to be some kind of evidential basis before the defence ought to be allowed to accuse her of lying.

Agree!

I'm surprised the prosecutor didn't object?

You can read the detectives face , listening to the lies , knowing they have got their man . When he slids the photo across to the accused , must have been a breakthrough moment on this case .

The clip with the detective with the tattooed arm, the facial expressions on the detective were gold. Especially during the ‘catfish’ explanation.

What a squirrelly dude the defendant is, quite a prim concern for his own personal safety. I echo what was noted above that the defendant sees Grace waiting at SkyCity and turns around briefly like he’s leaving. Wish he had.

Wonder how the detectives first linked the defendant to CityLife hotel, as defendant tried to mislead them on his address. Also how soon after that interview they got their hands on his phone and the damning photos. I suppose that might be presented in court today.

The trial of the man accused of murdering British backpacker Grace Millane is set to resume at the High Court at Auckland at 10am.

It's 10am now (so they're 13 hours ahead of us in the UK) I wonder what horrors we will hear. Today has been the most horrible for me on this forum with various cases on trial, wish I could bleach my memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member