Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CCTV continues to show the accused's movements over the following days.

On December 4 at 2.55pm: The accused is seen with a sports bag he got from Mint Drycleaners the day before.

On December 5 at 3.50pm: The accused is seen emptying the contents of the sports bag into a bin at Albert Park, Auckland.

9d0ff529-92eb-4fab-a9f6-05bc154e91b3_800.jpg

The CCTV timeline continues to December 6, the same day the accused first meets Detective Constable Changhee Han at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

5.18am - On his phone outside his address, the accused is picked up by a white Prius, which is assumed to be an Uber, Detective Adam Bicknell says. Half an hour later the accused is seen walking to CityLife hotel, where he remains until 8.43am.

2.19pm - Detective Toni Jordan, who gave evidence yesterday, arrives at CityLife for routine inquiries to corroborate evidence in the Grace missing person investigation.

2.41pm - The defendant is seen leaving CityLife hotel in the lift in a white shirt and black waistcoat. He goes to a dairy across the road from the lobby. A few minutes later he can be seen peering through the window of the lobby, before heading off on foot towards Queen St.

A few minutes later, two police officers, Detective Toni Jordan and a colleague, exit the lobby and follow him towards Queen St where they catch up with him at a 2 Degrees phone store.

98163b23-3e17-4f50-9f36-d2ae1e5c8d3b_800.jpg

I am absolutely blown away by the CCTV coverage. I live in Auckland and had no clue it was this prevalent; it's really reassuring to know actually.

He obviously had no clue either - he’s completely stitched himself up and I’d love to see the moment he realised his every move was tracked.

It’s making for a very interesting trial and it means there will be justice for Grace

He obviously had no clue either - he’s completely stitched himself up and I’d love to see the moment he realised his every move was tracked.

It’s making for a very interesting trial and it means there will be justice for Grace

Absolutely, I now totally revoke what I said previously about the seemingly potential for a manslaughter charge, and it is still early days in the trial. @Mariposa I am also so impressed with the police work on this case.

"Defence lawyer Ian Brookie tells the court there were five occasions on December 2 where the accused left the CityLife Hotel and returned, which were not shown to the jury on the CCTV timeline.

"This is not intended to be a criticism of you but [it is] not every single coming and going of the accused," Brookie says.

Detective Adam Bicknell confirmed there were five occasions where the accused was not captured on CCTV."

What is the defence even getting at here.

"The court is now hearing from the woman who met the defendant for a date on December 2.

The pair matched on dating app Tinder and agreed to meet the week before, but the location of the date was not confirmed until Sunday, December 2.

The woman, who has name suppression, said the defendant messaged her twice, first at 10am and later around lunchtime to confirm the date.

The second message said something along the lines of it was "cool if you don't feel up for it today".

She confirmed she did want to meet up and they agreed to meet at Revelry bar in Ponsonby at 4pm"

"During their date,the pair started chatting about jobs, where they lived, and what they had been doing that day.

The accused said he had spent the day looking for a large duffel bag with wheels on it. A big one, to fit his sports gear in because he was representing New Zealand or Australia in sport, his date told the court.

He also told her his friends were police officers and his best friend was a Crown prosecutor.

The woman said she felt she should say something at that point, and told him how she had once seen a high court trial about a 21-year-old man who had been sent to prison for manslaughter.

She said it was sad.

He replied: "Yeah it's crazy how guys can make one wrong move and go to jail for the rest of their lives".

Then he told her, he had heard of, or knew of a guy, who had "got done" for manslaughter because his girlfriend died during rough sex."

Oh wow...

"The conversation during the woman's date with the accused continued on the subject of death.

"He said a lot of bodies are going missing the Waitakeres. Police dogs can only smell bodies that are buried more than four feet in the ground and a lot of bodies are going missing in that area," she recalls to the court.

The pair then started talking about poisonous animals in Australia.

When the date finished, the pair walked back to his car. He offered the woman a lift but she said she felt uncomfortable so she didn't accept.

Hours later, he sent her a message saying the date was really fun and they should do it again sometime.

She said: "No, thank you" and left it at that."

"Defence lawyer Ian Brookie tells the court there were five occasions on December 2 where the accused left the CityLife Hotel and returned, which were not shown to the jury on the CCTV timeline.

"This is not intended to be a criticism of you but [it is] not every single coming and going of the accused," Brookie says.

Detective Adam Bicknell confirmed there were five occasions where the accused was not captured on CCTV."

I’m confused if those were not captured on CCTV ( if so how do they know about them?) or what. This description suggests the tapes shown were edited to show key moments

Grace Millane murder trial: Live updates as police interview, CCTV footage shown to jury

Det Bicknell is now being cross-examined by Defence lawyer Ian Brookie. The detective confirms that the CCTV footage shown to the jury is only a highlights compilation. Multiple comings-and-goings of the accused from the CityLife hotel weren't included.

"The woman is now being cross-examined by defence lawyer Ian Brookie.

Brookie begins by going through all the messages exchanged between the pair.

In those messages, the woman tells the accused she is looking for a relationship and he agrees. They arrange to meet on the afternoon of December 2.

"During the date, there was mention of a sexually-related death and you changed the topic to travel, is that correct?" he asks.

"Yes", she replied.

After the date, he messaged you saying: "I'd love to do it again if you're keen?" Brookie asked.

The woman confirmed that was true and said she responded saying she wasn't interested.

The accused did not pursue her, Brookie confirmed to the jury.

His final message was sent at 7.10pm in the evening, which the CCTV timeline has already shown was around the time the accused was driving to a Countdown supermarket to look at Rug Doctor cleaning machines."

What factors are relevant in deciding whether to grant name suppression?
Criminal Procedure Act 2011, ss 200-204

The court may make an order for name suppression only if it is satisfied that publishing the defendant’s name would be likely to:

• cause extreme hardship to the defendant or people connected with the defendant (for example, the defendant’s family)
  • cast suspicion on another person that may cause them undue hardship
  • cause undue hardship to a victim
  • create a real risk of prejudicing a fair trial
  • endanger any person’s safety
  • lead to the identification of another person who has name suppression
  • prejudice the maintenance of the law or the security or defence of New Zealand.

Name suppression - Community Law

Back to the reasons for suppression of the defendant's name. Imo, after these last few days of the trial, two possible reasons stand out to me.

1) create a real risk of prejudicing a fair trial
- imo, this guy has a tainted history which will come out after the trial, he's a prolific liar and con man, testimonies of his past dealings with people in NZ and Australia could prejudice a 'fair trial' for the murder of Grace, (the disposing of her body and possessions, lying and misleading police.) His defense have ensured his unsavoury past won't be revealed quite just yet even though, we've seen and heard the worst! The defense is just going through the motions, squeaking when required, retraumatized the witnesses who had the misfortune to date this lowlife and poor Grace's family.

2) lead to the identification of another person who has name suppression, - protecting the identity of the women who've come to testify in court. Imo, this is the main reason, to protect these brave women who've come of their own free will to testify.

I’m confused if those were not captured on CCTV ( if so how do they know about them?) or what. This description suggests the tapes shown were edited to show key moments

Grace Millane murder trial: Live updates as police interview, CCTV footage shown to jury

Det Bicknell is now being cross-examined by Defence lawyer Ian Brookie. The detective confirms that the CCTV footage shown to the jury is only a highlights compilation. Multiple comings-and-goings of the accused from the CityLife hotel weren't included.

Imo, Brookie is being petty, the accused left the hotel for random and 'innocent' reasons and he wants those shown too? Maybe, the accused wondered aimlessly around town and returned to the Hotel or bought a carton of milk?
Attempting to portray the accused as 'a regular guy' not always doing shifty activities?

"The next witness, Christina Horner, was working at Apex Car Rentals Auckland City on December 2.

When she rented the car to the accused she said he appeared chatty and relaxed.

But he when he returned it the next day, he didn't seen as calm.

"He seemed a little bit flustered, but I assumed that was because he was late and the car wasn't full of petrol," Horner said.

She said she told him he could go fill the car up to avoid a surcharge, which he did.

There was no damage to the outside of the car and the interior was not inspected, the court heard.

The car was taken to be cleaned by Apex employees and that was the last Horner saw of the accused."

"Witness Brandon Payn, a checkout operator at Countdown supermarket, helped the accused rent a Rug Doctor floor cleaning machine on December 2.

At the time, the accused told Payn he had a "red wine" stain he needed to get rid of, and asked what the best product was to get it out.

"I showed him all the different products, some were specifically for carpets, others more generic. I showed him the strongest one," Payn recalled to the court.

Despite ticking the "overnight box", the accused returned the Rug Doctor within an hour.

"I asked him if he got the stain out," Payn told the court.

He replied: "Yeah it worked"."

c5a90044-3f2c-4956-aad9-f6b0ced090c4_800.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads