Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This trial has been getting to me. I dreamt about it last night.
I keep telling myself 'this will never happen to you, because you're not on Tinder, you don't have one night stands, etc'. But the truth is, it could easily be me. I could be murdered by a guy I sleep with on the fourth date. I could be murdered by a guy I'm in a relationship with. And I might decide to go home with a guy I just met someday, and he could murder me.
I'm sorry if this sounds depressing but Grace never would have thought events would unfold as they did. It could have been any one of us. And I have absolutely no way of guaranteeing my safety - ever.

RSBM

This is good analysis, but devils advocate - in the rape trial of Rikards, Schollum and Shipton, the accused Schollum and Shipton did not have name suppression even though they were already in jail for rape. Only the evidence of the prior rape convictions was kept from the jury. So prior misdeeds would not normally be enough.

I wonder if the international media frenzy led to a very cautious approach in this instance.

I just remembered the PM called a news conference at the time, extremely rare situation for this to occur, so yes, it caught the attention of the UK, Aus and of course, NZ, the reason for the name suppression.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern fought back tears on Monday (December 10) in Wellington as she apologised on behalf of New Zealand to the family of Grace Millane for their daughter's murder.

Ardern told reporters that the New Zealanders she had spoken to felt an "overwhelming sense of hurt and shame" that this crime happened in New Zealand.

more at The Sun link -

I keep telling myself 'this will never happen to you, because you're not on Tinder, you don't have one night stands, etc'. But the truth is, it could easily be me. I could be murdered by a guy I sleep with on the fourth date. I could be murdered by a guy I'm in a relationship with. And I might decide to go home with a guy I just met someday, and he could murder me.
I'm sorry if this sounds depressing but Grace never would have thought events would unfold as they did. It could have been any one of us. And I have absolutely no way of guaranteeing my safety - ever.

Remember there are lots of good people out there too. Just have your wits about you, unfortunately it’s the world we live in. But in general people are good and not capable of these gross acts of violence.

Remember there are lots of good people out there too. Just have your wits about you, unfortunately it’s the world we live in. But in general people are good and not capable of these gross acts of violence.
How would having her wits about her helped Grace? It's a genuine question. I hope this doesn't come across as victim blaming at all because that's not my intention, but if a killer's gonna kill, what can I do/look out for to ensure it's not me? Obviously the woman who went on the date with him after he murdered Grace sensed something was off, took a cab home and said a clear 'no' to another date. Grace did not have any sense she was in danger until it was too late. Was he more convincing? Did she miss red flags? From everything I've heard, she just had no way of knowing what was awaiting her. And that's what scares me. It could be any man, any woman, any encounter.

"David Millane and his wife Gill, from Wickford, Essex, have sat through the harrowing murder trial hearing how their daughter died on a Tinder date in Auckland, New Zealand.

In court on Wednesday, they saw how CCTV captured the 27-year-old suspected murderer transporting the British backpacker’s body in a red Toyota he rented on the day she died in December.

They began to cry as they watched the accused move the suitcase which contained their daughter’s body."

CCTV shows Millane's Tinder date 'killer' taking body to woods

Can someone remind me when it was that he searched for 'time now in London'? Was it in the early hours of the morning at his apt, or was it when he and Grace were out in public on the date?

How would having her wits about her helped Grace? It's a genuine question. I hope this doesn't come across as victim blaming at all because that's not my intention, but if a killer's gonna kill, what can I do/look out for to ensure it's not me? Obviously the woman who went on the date with him after he murdered Grace sensed something was off, took a cab home and said a clear 'no' to another date. Grace did not have any sense she was in danger until it was too late. Was he more convincing? Did she miss red flags? From everything I've heard, she just had no way of knowing what was awaiting her. And that's what scares me. It could be any man, any woman, any encounter.

Maybe he was a very persuasive guy. There seem to be two sides to him - the one that talks straight off to his 'dates' about what they should do (in a sexual capacity), and the one that likes to get to know his date first. There was another one who was talking to him for a long time online who he hinted that if things went well, they could move to Australia together ... despite all the warnings we hear about things exactly like this, maybe he just had the gift of the gab that made a lot of the women he came into contact with, feel safe?

The woman who he met up with after the tragedy maybe had fantastic intuition skills that escape most normal people - although, I do wonder how they got onto the subject where he mentioned about the bodies in the Waitaks and how most of his mates were police officers ...

My opinion only - but I wonder if he put Grace at ease, telling her she didn't have to do anything she didn't want to, but then when she said no he attacked her. She was clearly comfortable with him (going by the CCTV footage and her texts to her friend).

Luckily you are somewhat protected by the law of big numbers

eg. Only 35 people were murdered in NZ in 2017 out of 4.5m+

Can someone remind me when it was that he searched for 'time now in London'? Was it in the early hours of the morning at his apt, or was it when he and Grace were out in public on the date?

I read it as the early hours of the morning of the 2nd ...

"Analysis of the phone's contents found internet searches for "Waitakere Ranges" and "hottest fire" were made in the early hours of December 2. A number of *advertiser censored* websites were also accessed at about 1.26am on December 2. The Crown say those searches were made by the accused. Seven intimate photos of a woman, the Crown says is Grace, were also found on his phone. Further searches for "bags", "car hire", "rigor mortis", "time in london", "beaches" and "Rug Doctor" were made." (From: Grace Millane murder trial: Evidence of backpacker's demise found in accused killer's room)

I read it as the early hours of the morning of the 2nd ...

"Analysis of the phone's contents found internet searches for "Waitakere Ranges" and "hottest fire" were made in the early hours of December 2. A number of *advertiser censored* websites were also accessed at about 1.26am on December 2. The Crown say those searches were made by the accused. Seven intimate photos of a woman, the Crown says is Grace, were also found on his phone. Further searches for "bags", "car hire", "rigor mortis", "time in london", "beaches" and "Rug Doctor" were made." (From: Grace Millane murder trial: Evidence of backpacker's demise found in accused killer's room)

Thanks for that, I couldn't find it when I searched in the previous thread.

hahahahaha!!!!

"She told the court the accused mentioned all his mates were police officers, with whom he would enjoy barbeques with.

"I thought it was strange that all his friends were police officers, I thought that was a bit odd," she said.

The accused, the woman told the court, also said he was "trying to find a really large duffel bag".

"He really wanted to find a big bag with wheels on it."

The accused, the woman said, also told her one of his friends had come to New Zealand to be a Crown prosecutor."

Grace Millane murder trial: Accused on CCTV cameras moving body, buying shovel

I was going to say surely this guy can't come out with anything more ridiculous? But let's watch over the next few days, I bet he does! :rolleyes:

Wasn’t the woman he went on a date with afterwards a journalist/ ex-journalist? Perhaps she’d met with many types of people due to her job and knew how to identify behaviour that was ‘off’ in some way.

From watching his police interview, the suspect comes over as chatty and friendly. Maybe he put Grace at ease and she felt flattered by his interest in her and the compliments he paid her (‘beautiful, very radiant’ for example). She was very young and I doubt she’d been unfortunate enough to come across his type before. I do think there were some red flags, like the controlling way he kissed her with his hand on the back of her head and the very quick intimacy he initiated. But she probably just thought he really liked her and didn’t read too much into it. Most people would never think things like that would happen to them.

Ugh, I've just watched the footage of him stood at the door, asking the detective if he's been arrested for something he hasn't done. The stupid OTT outward breath he does when the detective says he hasn't been arrested for anything. It's like he thought they would let him go and he had got away with it at that point. Definitely not the sharpest tool in the box, is he.

I just remembered the PM called a news conference at the time, extremely rare situation for this to occur, so yes, it caught the attention of the UK, Aus and of course, NZ, the reason for the name suppression.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern fought back tears on Monday (December 10) in Wellington as she apologised on behalf of New Zealand to the family of Grace Millane for their daughter's murder.

Ardern told reporters that the New Zealanders she had spoken to felt an "overwhelming sense of hurt and shame" that this crime happened in New Zealand.

more at The Sun link -

I love Jacinda Ardern, NZ is lucky to have her.
Don't suppose there's any chance of a swap for Boris? Nope, didn't think so....

Wasn’t the woman he went on a date with afterwards a journalist/ ex-journalist? Perhaps she’d met with many types of people due to her job and knew how to identify behaviour that was ‘off’ in some way.

From watching his police interview, the suspect comes over as chatty and friendly. Maybe he put Grace at ease and she felt flattered by his interest in her and the compliments he paid her (‘beautiful, very radiant’ for example). She was very young and I doubt she’d been unfortunate enough to come across his type before. I do think there were some red flags, like the controlling way he kissed her with his hand on the back of her head and the very quick intimacy he initiated. But she probably just thought he really liked her and didn’t read too much into it. Most people would never think things like that would happen to them.

I think that after hearing him talk to police, his tone and way of speaking - coupled with the smart appearance, would definitely have made Grace feel like she wasn't in any danger with him. He's certainly not the type of 'guy to avoid' here in the UK that she might be used to ...

To add ... is it just ne, ir is showing the suitcase in the ground just a step too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea