GUILTY TX - Stacey Stites, 19, found murdered, Bastrop, 23 April 1996 *Appeal denied*

Thank you, CrimeDawg123! I read an article in the wee hours trying to find an answer, but it really didn't say much about why, just that it had been canceled and attorney's hadn't responded to inquiries yet.

I worry with no mention of a continuance, only that it was canceled. My first thought was if there were intentions of it being rescheduled it would be a continuance, maybe I'm overthinking. I hope, with digits crossed, this buys more time at the very least! :'(

It seems the hearing was cancelled because they are arguing about the judge :
"The Bastrop County District Attorney and the Texas Attorney General’s Office asked the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals to stop Wednesday’s hearing, arguing that Judge Campbell does not have the legal authority to rule on any of the actions Judge Shaver took in the Reed case. The state argued Shaver was legally appointed and has been since taking over the case in 2014.

The Court of Criminal Appeals has given Judge Shaver and Judge Campbell until 4 p.m. on Nov. 13 to issue written responses in the case. The appeals court order states Judge Olen Underwood–who appointed Shaver to the Reed case in 2014– and Reed’s attorneys also “may file responses” by the 4 p.m. Wednesday deadline."

TX appeals court stops Wednesday hearing to void Rodney Reed death warrant
It seems the hearing was cancelled because they are arguing about the judge :
"The Bastrop County District Attorney and the Texas Attorney General’s Office asked the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals to stop Wednesday’s hearing, arguing that Judge Campbell does not have the legal authority to rule on any of the actions Judge Shaver took in the Reed case. The state argued Shaver was legally appointed and has been since taking over the case in 2014.

The Court of Criminal Appeals has given Judge Shaver and Judge Campbell until 4 p.m. on Nov. 13 to issue written responses in the case. The appeals court order states Judge Olen Underwood–who appointed Shaver to the Reed case in 2014– and Reed’s attorneys also “may file responses” by the 4 p.m. Wednesday deadline."

TX appeals court stops Wednesday hearing to void Rodney Reed death warrant

Texas appeals court blocks Rodney Reed execution

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals blocked the execution of Rodney Reed Friday, allowing a lower court to consider Reed's claim that the state presented false testimony and that he is innocent.

——————————-

In spring 2020, there will be a week-long hearing where defense and prosecuting attorneys will focus on these new issues, MacRae said. Once the case heads back to an appeals court, judges will determine if Reed gets a new trial.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/11/15/us...arole-board/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

I remember when Stacey Stites was killed but it wasn't until this article in 2002 in the Austin Chronicle that I understood how questionable Reed's conviction was. In the 17 years since then, even more information has come to light. Thank goodness we're now going to take a break to try to get to the truth.
Who Killed Stacey Stites?

As a Texan, I am ashamed it has taken this long to investigate the information about Stacey Stites' murder while Reed is days away from execution. I am ashamed that we have a history of executing people on flimsy evidence which suits a prosecution's agenda rather than seeking the truth. Case in point - Todd Willingham

Our son and cousin, Cameron Todd Willingham, was convicted of killing his three baby girls by arson. His conviction rested on junk science and a jailhouse informant. In the days before Todd's execution in February 2004, a nationally recognized arson expert, Dr. Gerald Hurst, submitted a detailed report to Governor Rick Perry and Texas courts showing that the arson evidence was false. It was based on false assumptions that had been discredited a decade earlier. Todd didn't spread accelerant around his house and start a fire. No chemical evidence of accelerant was found in the debris.

The fire was accidental—there was no crime at all. Governor Perry and the Texas courts, to our dismay, ignored this finding which has since been confirmed many times over by independent experts and eventually the Texas Forensic Science Commission. A number of arson convictions have been overturned.

After Todd's conviction, the District Attorney illegally reduced the sentence of the jailhouse informant who falsely testified that Todd confessed to him about starting the fire by spreading accelerant and hid that fact, and the informant's efforts to recant, from Todd's lawyers. Todd was only 36 when Texas took his life by lethal injection and shattered the Willingham family forever.

IMO I don't know how Rick Perry sleeps at night.

It's never too late to clear the name of an innocent loved one executed. We know first hand | Opinion

If you're in a monthslong relationship with a girl it seems there would be some, little, something, that you would know about her or her family that she would've relayed to you at some point through conversation, that if verified by family would help corroborate your story. An elementary example would be, the reason for her knee brace. More substantial would be her confiding in him some event in her life or some family dynamic that only those close to the family would know. Something not in the media. I see he's honed his talking points and is fairly well spoken so did anything like that happen? If he knew Stacy for months how well can he speak on her? Doesn't need to be her life story, a few verifiable, unreported nuggets of info would've sufficed.

He should have been able to prove a relationship of that length existed without relying solely on the word of his family. The 11th hour statement from the co-worker that came 23 years after the fact is not something to simply accept at face value.

If you're in a monthslong relationship with a girl it seems there would be some, little, something, that you would know about her or her family that she would've relayed to you at some point through conversation, that if verified by family would help corroborate your story. An elementary example would be, the reason for her knee brace. More substantial would be her confiding in him some event in her life or some family dynamic that only those close to the family would know. Something not in the media. I see he's honed his talking points and is fairly well spoken so did anything like that happen? If he knew Stacy for months how well can he speak on her? Doesn't need to be her life story, a few verifiable, unreported nuggets of info would've sufficed.

He should have been able to prove a relationship of that length existed without relying solely on the word of his family. The 11th hour statement from the co-worker that came 23 years after the fact is not something to simply accept at face value.
Nothing has to be taken at face value. An unbiased investigation should be done, that's all.

Yep. And HEB put up a $50,000 reward for information back in 1996 and these co workers said NOTHING for 23 years until now.

Not buying it at ALL.

No relationship ever existed between SS and RR.

He said the same thing years earlier about another rape he did.

That he was in a secret relationship with the victim.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back