Australia Australia - Peter Falconio, 28, Barrow Creek, NT, 14 Jul 2001

Here's a (redacted) copy of the letter:

8f8e8d22f2b73830be70ba45629b2765.jpg

Here's the text:

THIS IS TO TELL WHAT I KNOW ABOUT WHERE PETER FALCONIO’S REMAINS ARE.

I regret I must stay anonymous as you read on you will see why. I swear the following is the truth as far as I can recall it. I don’t know every detail of times dates exact places but I know enough. I was born and grew up in Perth WA. I did indulge in very petty crime drugs and cars mainly but nothing violent or sexual. And I have no criminal record. I dealt drugs with a crook called (name withheld for legal reasons) he was a Pom but came to WA as a kid he was older than me and would now be if still alive in his late 60s. In his early years he worked in the car trade but later got by on crime. When I knew him he lived in (redacted) but would doss down anywhere then when broke he would go back to his mothers place, she lived at (redacted). He knew and done deals with Brad Murdoch. (Redacted) was very scared of him because Murdoch had a lot on him. I never met Murdock but (redacted) told me a lot about him.

I read about the Falconion murder at the time but never connected it with anyone in WA. Then around 2 years later (redacted) asked to see me he wanted to talk to someone and was very troubled it was no act because he broke down and sobbed he’s heart out he wasn’t drunk or high on drugs so I know he was genuine.

This is what he told me as best as I can remember.

Murdoch phoned him and ordered him to fly to Darwin at once hire a car and meet him in the outback. When they met he told (redacted) that he had murdered a guy in self defence at the time (redacted) had no idea who the victim was. Murdoch had (the following passages and description is too gruesome to publish). He ordered (redacted) to drive to Adelaide leave the car and fly back to Perth. (Redacted) told me he couldn’t even open the bags he was sick and petrified, when he got to Adelaide he didn’t fly but got the Indian Pacific back to Perth, thinking that the 2 large bags would draw less attention on the train. He and Murdoch had connections with Geraldton and Broome they were always going up there to unload or buy stolen goods and drugs. So (redacted) knew northern WA very well. He told me he went way past Geraldton and buried both the bags unopened in a nice spot and even made up a cross. Later he realised who he had buried and was in a bad way about it. He knew I had a sister who worked in law, and asked what I thought he would get if he went to the police. I told him I thought about 5 years for assisting Murdoch. This terrified him. But I did tell him better to go to the police now before Murdock decides to tell the whole story. After that I lost touch with him and never heard from him again.

At that time I married an English lady who was homesick so I came back with her to the UK and we have lived in North London ever since. My wife has been a Jehovah Witness all her life and now I to have joined her as J.W. It is wrong of me to betray (redacted) trust. But I feel the Falconio family and his girlfriend deserve to know what happened to their loved one, and hopefully with the love of Jehovah find peace.

Last edited:
Seven news teaser said police hope to get a deathbed confession so it appears his cancer is advanced.

—————
Bradley John Murdoch, who is serving a life sentence for the 2001 murder of British backpacker Peter Falconio, has reportedly been diagnosed with cancer.

The 61-year-old refused treatment following his diagnosis earlier this year but is now receiving care in Royal Darwin Hospital, The NT News reported on Wednesday

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/falconio-murderer-murdoch-has-cancer-c-553998

A few years ago I took a deep dive into this case and found it rather interesting.

I have taken a particular interest in True Crime around the world (I’m a Yank) and there is a lot of information out there on crimes against foreign tourists. Normally, throughout the world, when some local lowlife murders a foreign tourist, people in that country are outraged that one of “ their own” would do such a thing and are very supportive of surviving victims, but this case seems to have brought an outpouring of support for the perpetrator and bizarre accusations against the victims.

Of course, plenty of Aussies believe Murdoch is where he belongs. However, the very fact that there is enough support for the claim that Murdoch is innocent, that his conviction has earned the label “controversial”, is surprising. The evidence seems to be overwhelming. Yet, his supporters continues to pick apart the case seeking out minute details that might cast doubt on the verdict and attack the surviving victim with outrages claims.

Apparently nativism expresses itself a little differently in Australia than in the US and there is a certain animosity towards immigrants from the UK who have been given the prerogative slang term “pommies” or “ poms”. Murdoch, on the other hand, could be seen as the archetypal Aussie bushman/outlaw/hero in the tradition of Ned Kelly, I guess.

It would be a good thing if Murdoch would give a deathbed confession and, more importantly, give up the location of the body, but I’m not counting on it.

For what its worth, I believe that Joanne Lees is a liar. I have been following this case from the start and even then it seemed off. Corruption has gone on from on high, and in all fairness, there should have been a retrial many years ago. Falconios body has never been found. There is no evidence of his murder. Lees changed her story multiple times. Why was she not looked into as the possible perp? As for Hepi, that speaks for itself. Re Brad Murdoch, we know that he was carrying drugs and involved with Hepi. He was no angel. However, that does not make him a murderer. From all accounts, he is a very clever man. Too clever to have left "clues" which we are supposed to believe. He took great pains to ensure that his vehicle changed appearance on varying trips, he had a lucrative wee business going and so why on earth would he behave in such a fashion that would jeopardise that life-style? He has nothing to lose now, so if guilty, why not confess and lead the authorities to the alleged body? He would be released all the quicker. It is my belief that he is unable to do so as he, like the rest of us, doesn't know what really happened that fateful night. Joanne does. She is the only one to have profited from this. How she lives with herself is anyones guess.

I completely agree with everything you say Ciana. I followed this case many years ago and it took over way too much of my time ! I made copious notes which I then shredded a few years ago ...wish I had kept them now.
I think JL has lied throughout. Her story is ridiculous, from her description of the van, which changed so many times, her ludicrous tale of hiding in the shrub and saying that the *killer* and his dog were unable to find her, the cable tie story..etc etc...
I could go on, and if I find the time I will have a re read thru my books and refresh myself with the remainder of her *story* and add in my thoughts here.

I don’t believe PF is dead, or he certainly did not die that night and not at the hand of BM.
I have also read, several times, that even the police don’t believe BM killed PF...but he was a useful scapegoat for them and kept tourism happy.

In relation to the reporting of Brad Murdoch dying of cancer - it is a bunch of tosh. I am a member of a closed site re the case and in recent days one of the members has visited him in prison where he was in fine fettle. He has had some sort of minor issue, it certainly is not cancer. Sorry, Joanne Lees.

Channel 4 series starts tomorrow 9.15pm, continues Mon-Tue-Wed 9pm: Murder in the Outback

I didn't know anything much about this case besides the name as I wasn't following true crime much at that time so spent a while reading up on it, as I wondered why it needed 4 hours of tv to re-examine it! This thread has been pretty illuminating about the contradictions and questions; it'll be interesting to see more in the tv series. Certainly sounds like a lot of things don't fully add up based on what I've read here.

I followed this case from the beginning, what’s the consensus here?
I have always said from day 1 that JL knows more. I see now there is some doubt over BM conviction?
What are your thoughts?

Just watched all 4 episodes of the Channel 4 show. Lots of questions that weren't raised in it (I guess that wasn't really the purpose of the show-more to show that he didn't get a fair trial), and apologies if any of these have been covered in the thread already (I'm going back to the start and working my way through now)

1. Did Bradley Murdoch ever confirm or deny if that was him in the footage from the evening of the murder in the shell petrol station?
2. Timeline wise, what time roughly was the 'murder' supposed to have taken place? Joanne says she lay down in the bush for a few hours? How does this match with the time from the petrol station footage? If BM was in the footage, did he have time to murder Peter, search for Joanne for that length of time, then get to the petrol station from the murder site in this time frame?
3. CCTV- a few issues here-
-the truckstop Joanne was driven to after she was picked up by the truckers.
-the cafe/bar that the owners say Peter and Joanne dined in (where Joanne was spotted talking to a man matching her description), that she denied ever being in.
-the sighting of Peter in the days after his apparent murder by the couple that worked in the shop.
-the red rooster restaurant that Lees and Falconio AND BM ate in on the morning of his murder.

Do any of these establishments, or places nearby have CCTV that the police checked?

Thanks.

This is getting too bazaar.

Trucker who rescued Joanne Lees makes explosive claim about Falconio murder

But now, the truck driver who rescued Ms Lees has made a startling new claim.
Vince Millar told a British TV crew he had seen two men bundling a third, "jelly-like" man into a red car that same night.
"I'm pretty sure that bloke in the middle could very well have been Peter Falconio," he said.
Mr Millar claimed he had never shared that information before.

This is getting too bazaar.

But now, the truck driver who rescued Ms Lees has made a startling new claim.
Vince Millar told a British TV crew he had seen two men bundling a third, "jelly-like" man into a red car that same night.
"I'm pretty sure that bloke in the middle could very well have been Peter Falconio," he said.
Mr Millar claimed he had never shared that information before.

Yeah I saw this. An absolutely crazy thing to hold back. Cannot see why he wouldn't have said it at the time and come out with it now.

A trucker has made an explosive new claim about what he saw the night Bradley John Murdoch killed Peter Falconio in the Northern Territory.
But now, the driver of the truck that rescued Ms. Lees has made a surprising new claim.

Vince Millar told a British television team that he had seen two men driving a third "jellied,quot; man into a red car that same night.

"I'm pretty sure the guy in the middle could have been Peter Falconio," he said.

Millar claimed that he had never shared that information before.
The trucker who rescued Joanne Lees claimed she saw two men get third in the car - Up News Info

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back