Found Deceased TN - Devin Bond, 16, Murfreesboro, 30 March 2017

Posted 1 hr ago:
“Detectives, emergency responders process scene where remains were found Wednesday on Morton Road

Rutherford County Sheriff’s investigators and emergency responders processed the scene today where remains were located Wednesday during a search for missing youth Devin Bond, said Sheriff Mike Fitzhugh.

Searchers found human remains believed to be those of Devin Bond in a wooded area Wednesday near the intersection of Barfield Crescent Road and Morton Road.

The medical examiner’s office is expected to review the remains in an effort to make identification, Fitzhugh said.

[SBM]

The investigation started the day his family reported Bond missing when K-9s searched the area around Bond’s home. The following day, K-9s conducted additional searches while an unmanned aerial vehicle and a helicopter with infra-red cameras conducted an aerial search off Barfield-Crescent Road.

A few days later, detectives received a tip Bond was seen about 4 a.m. March 31 on Barfield Crescent Road. A K-9 and handler searched the area but the search dog did not indicate Bond’s presence.

Pinson received Bond’s cell phone records, which showed that the last contact with the cellular network occurred at 4:56 a.m. on the day he disappeared. No precise location was given in the phone records, but they showed that the phone was in the area of Barfield-Crescent Road at last contact. In the following weeks, teams of citizens and detectives each searched the Barfield-Crescent Road area.

Detectives also interviewed Bond’s friends and acquaintances. One friend reported Bond told him he wanted to live as a homeless person. Detectives responded by looking for Bond in homeless camps and distributing flyers offering a reward for information about him to homeless camp residents.

Detectives responded to dozens of reported sightings around South Church Street and Veterans Parkway in the weeks after Bond’s disappearance but were unable to verify any of them.

’In the early days, the primary focus of the investigation was on locating a runaway teenager who was in danger,’ Pinson said. ’We felt he was alive and had run away.’

[SBM]

Earlier this year, an online gaming friend of Bond’s anonymously contacted a friend of Bond’s family. Pinson tracked him to San Antonio, Texas and traveled there to interview him. He told Pinson that Bond had made numerous comments about suicide and depression in the past.

Pinson, La Vergne Fire Chief Chris Clark and Rutherford County Fire and Rescue Captains Adam Rose and John Ingle began planning a large scale search of about 1,000 acres in the Barfield-Crescent Road area. Bond’s family was aware of the planned search from the beginning.

They decided to set the search Nov. 12-13 when typical weather conditions would be more favorable and the lack of foliage would give better sight for the searches. They scheduled out-of-state cadaver dogs and handlers a few months ago.

Pinson, Clark, Rose and Ingle planned the comprehensive search for one month and enlisted help from law enforcement officers, firefighters, paramedics and emergency management agency responders countywide. Having planned a month earlier, they didn’t expect the frigid temperatures when the cadaver dogs and responders searched Tuesday and Wednesday.

During the planning stages and since Bond’s disappearance was reported, Pinson has followed up on numerous reported sightings and investigative leads.

In October, while the search was being planned, people reported a possible sighting of Bond in Peoria, Ill. Pinson reached out to the homeless shelters with a photograph of the man and was able to later identify him as a man from the state of Washington.

‘This has been an exhaustive investigation,’ Pinson said.

Photo: Investigators process the dense area where remains were located Wednesday off Morton Road.” (BBM)
Rutherford County Sheriff's Office

Somewhat O/T:
Skull found in remote area of county

A human skull, unrelated to the search for missing youth Devin Bond, was found Tuesday in the southeastern area of Rutherford County, sheriff’s detectives said.

The skull was carried by a farm dog to its owners who notified the sheriff’s office.

Detective Lt. Todd Sparks said no other remains have been found in this remote area of the county.

Detectives are investigating but are uncertain from where the dog discovered the skull.

“The skull is currently in possession of the medical examiner’s office where it will be examined for preliminary identifying characteristics,” Sparks said.

Detectives are investigating any potential leads that may help determine the identity of this person. (BBM)

Off to start a thread ....

Posted yesterday:
“Remains found as those of Devin Bond

Medical examiners identified missing youth Devin Bond from the remains found Wednesday in the Barfield community of Rutherford County, Sheriff Mike Fitzhugh said.

Bond, 16, disappeared March 31, 2017. He attended Riverdale High School.

No foul play was involved in Devin’s death, the sheriff said.

‘We are very sad about the outcome as we know this is devastating to Devin’s family,’ Fitzhugh said. ‘I hope this helps Devin’s family to start the healing process.’

The Sheriff’s Office thanks responders who planned and searched for Devin including Rutherford County Emergency Management Agency, Rutherford County Fire & Rescue Department and the Special Operations Response Team, Rutherford County Emergency Medical Services, La Vergne Fire Department, Murfreesboro Police Department, Smyrna Police Department, La Vergne Police Department and the Sheriff’s Office, the K-9 handlers and New Vision Baptist Church, who provided bus transportation for the searchers.” (BBM)

Rest In Peace, Devin. He was such a handsome kid. Prayers for his friends and family, his mom, especially. I have 15- and 17-year-olds at home and cannot imagine what she must be going through.

Last edited:
It happens a lot. Just in my 6 years here I have encountered A LOT of cases where bodies are missed and later discovered and recovered. We can offer a myriad of reasons why it might be, even with the best resources available, but still, it continues to happen.

It happens a lot. Just in my 6 years here I have encountered A LOT of cases where bodies are missed and later discovered and recovered. We can offer a myriad of reasons why it might be, even with the best resources available, but still, it continues to happen.

Yep. Me too. I've seen it over and over again. It seems it's really not that easy to find human remains outside. :(

And I'll add to that with an opinion I have. When someone goes missing and their fate is unknown, those that cared about the individual have a powerful bias: they want the person to be alive even when it defies reasonable conjecture. 'The area was searched extensively and he was not there. Therefore he ran away and we need to find him living on the streets somewhere.' That's what people who are emotionally invested in an outcome will think like. I don't blame them to be honest but it takes neutrality to turn in constructive efforts.
Absolutely. I believe this is sadly 100% true in this case.

Did he commit suicide?

That seems to be what they are implying. They don't have to state it to the public, however, when the death is not a homicide. Police might just say "no foul play" out of respect for the family.

This is so sad. He was only 16. He left home with a gun after breaking up with his girlfriend. I don't know if the break up caused him to take his life but I wish someone could have helped him see that life wasn't so bad and a breakup wasn't the end of the world. Prayers for his family and I hope no one is blaming themselves for his death. The weight of a loved one committing suicide can be a very heavy burden. MOO. :(

Wrist cases can you think of? How far off was the body from last ping?

Leanne Bearden, Timothy Cunningham, Elizabeth Salgado, Caylee Anthony, Nora Quoirin (area she was found was searched previously, albeit the time between the search and the find was not that long), Joseph Lloyd Keller, and many others in national parks especially... This list is not great, there are certainly others more recent. It does happen. Leanne's case was especially harrowing.

ETA: Also pretty convinced Michael Chambers will be found in an area previously searched, and sadly, probably Andrienne Quintal

Leanne Bearden, Timothy Cunningham, Elizabeth Salgado, Caylee Anthony, Nora Quoirin (area she was found was searched previously, albeit the time between the search and the find was not that long), Joseph Lloyd Keller, and many others in national parks especially... This list is not great, there are certainly others more recent. It does happen. Leanne's case was especially harrowing.

ETA: Also pretty convinced Michael Chambers will be found in an area previously searched, and sadly, probably Andrienne Quintal
Also, Blaze Bernstein

Wrist cases can you think of? How far off was the body from last ping?

Drew Browne was a very similar case where a young man committed suicide and was not found by searches. He had run off on foot with a gun. People were in the woods searching for him at the time he ran off and heard a gunshot. He had called his mother right before he killed himself so they had his last known phone ping. Still they could not find his body. It took almost 5 years for his family to hire a PI. The PI retraced Drew's path and searched his last known location and found his skeletal remains right where he was expected to be in the area that had been searched previously. His mother said she had walked right past his remains while searching and never saw him:
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article225007690.html
His thread was not very long but it is here: Found Deceased - NC - Andrew 'Drew' Browne, 23, Raleigh, 24 May 2014

Sadly there are many cases like this that don't receive much media attention. MOO.

I just learned that Devin was finally located. So sorry for his family and friends. :(

I remember when Devin went missing during his spring break. His former girlfriend was going out-of-state for spring break to visit her dad and she broke up with him before she left. I believe it was the same night that Devin disappeared.

This is a great podcast from Sept 2017 with many insights spoken by his mom -- best of Vanished. It's about 30 mins.

https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/the-vanished-podcast-234629/episodes

November 14 at 3:11 PM ·
Detectives, emergency responders process scene where remains were found Wednesday on Morton Road

Rutherford County Sheriff’s investigators and emergency responders processed the scene today where remains were located Wednesday during a search for missing youth Devin Bond, said Sheriff Mike Fitzhugh.

Searchers found human remains believed to be those of Devin Bond in a wooded area Wednesday near the intersection of Barfield Crescent Road and Morton Road.

The medical examiner’s office is expected to review the remains in an effort to make identification, Fitzhugh said.

Bond’s family reported him as missing March 31, 2017. He was a Riverdale High School student.

Sheriff’s Detective Will Pinson said the investigation of Bond’s disappearance was extensive.

The investigation started the day his family reported Bond missing when K-9s searched the area around Bond’s home. The following day, K-9s conducted additional searches while an unmanned aerial vehicle and a helicopter with infra-red cameras conducted an aerial search off Barfield-Crescent Road.

A few days later, detectives received a tip Bond was seen about 4 a.m. March 31 on Barfield Crescent Road. A K-9 and handler searched the area but the search dog did not indicate Bond’s presence.

Pinson received Bond’s cell phone records, which showed that the last contact with the cellular network occurred at 4:56 a.m. on the day he disappeared. No precise location was given in the phone records, but they showed that the phone was in the area of Barfield-Crescent Road at last contact. In the following weeks, teams of citizens and detectives each searched the Barfield-Crescent Road area.

Detectives also interviewed Bond’s friends and acquaintances. One friend reported Bond told him he wanted to live as a homeless person. Detectives responded by looking for Bond in homeless camps and distributing flyers offering a reward for information about him to homeless camp residents.

Detectives responded to dozens of reported sightings around South Church Street and Veterans Parkway in the weeks after Bond’s disappearance but were unable to verify any of them.

“In the early days, the primary focus of the investigation was on locating a runaway teenager who was in danger,” Pinson said. “We felt he was alive and had run away.”

Pinson acquired records related to Bond’s social media accounts, but found no useful information. Bond hadn’t accessed any of the accounts since his disappearance.

Earlier this year, an online gaming friend of Bond’s anonymously contacted a friend of Bond’s family. Pinson tracked him to San Antonio, Texas and traveled there to interview him. He told Pinson that Bond had made numerous comments about suicide and depression in the past.

Pinson, La Vergne Fire Chief Chris Clark and Rutherford County Fire and Rescue Captains Adam Rose and John Ingle began planning a large scale search of about 1,000 acres in the Barfield-Crescent Road area. Bond’s family was aware of the planned search from the beginning.

They decided to set the search Nov. 12-13 when typical weather conditions would be more favorable and the lack of foliage would give better sight for the searches. They scheduled out-of-state cadaver dogs and handlers a few months ago.

Pinson, Clark, Rose and Ingle planned the comprehensive search for one month and enlisted help from law enforcement officers, firefighters, paramedics and emergency management agency responders countywide. Having planned a month earlier, they didn’t expect the frigid temperatures when the cadaver dogs and responders searched Tuesday and Wednesday.

During the planning stages and since Bond’s disappearance was reported, Pinson has followed up on numerous reported sightings and investigative leads.

In October, while the search was being planned, people reported a possible sighting of Bond in Peoria, Ill. Pinson reached out to the homeless shelters with a photograph of the man and was able to later identify him as a man from the state of Washington.

“This has been an exhaustive investigation,” Pinson said.

Photo: Investigators process the dense area where remains were located Wednesday off Morton Road.

76612209_10157903512871204_2650290534425296896_o.jpg

Pulling together news accounts, here's a map that I think may show approximately what happened that morn. Possible route is a guess based on fact that Devin was reportedly potentially last seen walking north along Barfield Crescent Pkwy toward Veteran's Pkwy at around 4:30am. Shame they couldn't find him sooner, but there is clearly a great deal of heavily wooded area in that region.
RIP young man.

devin-png.283407

Attachments

• Devin.png
    Devin.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors