CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #66

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense challenged the admissibility of the evidence from the criminal gang member. No, the jury was not present when that challenge was made.

JMO
And then they did exactly nothing, when presented with an opportunity to attack the legitimacy of the evidence provided by this gang member.

Not a single thing.

They merely questioned his motives, which doesn’t change those letters, which were way more important than anything he had to say.

BBM. Good question. Many jails and prisons have strict guidelines on the type of writing instruments and often only special, flexible pens or pencils are allowed. Any forensic analysis is going to come after this trial concludes but it won't do PF any good if his fingerprints are on the documents. A career-criminal who sports prison gang tattoos and manages to get a major felony bumped to a misdemeanor isn't the most credible of witnesses.

The judge said he was allowing the writings as a reflection of consciousness of guilt but PF doesn't admit to killing KB and he doesn't admit to knowing where she is now. About all the defense can do is point out the incredible amount of hearsay and deals that were offered as incentives to testify.

JMO

The testimony of the criminal isn’t what’s crucial in relation to these letters. The testimony of PF himself in those letters is what’s crucial.

He sunk himself.

Put another way, if the inmate was just testifying about what he heard and no letters? That would not be very persuasive. Not like this is.

Please reread my comment.
The jury heard the testimony about the letters today
because the judge said they were admissible.
The media heard the testimony about the letters today
so we heard the testimony about the letters later today.
It all happened.

I think the defense likely challenged it during the closed door hearing.

JMO

No. They likely challenged its admission into evidence. But on cross they didn’t utter one word to challenge the investigator in his analysis of the handwriting. Didn’t ask if he had tried to see if it had fingerprints or DNA.

If any of that had happened it would’ve been published.

It didn’t happen because they know what the results would be.

They may have had questions, but I believe it’s up to the judge to determine which questions can legally be asked. I sat on a CO jury for a simple trial. We had two questions but the judge denied both. One asked if defendant had prior convictions and the judge explained that info was not admissible. Can’t remember the other question but it was denied for similar legal reasons.

I want to know why she's not arrested.

I also want to know if PF had somehow put money into Doe's account, how did that transaction happen, how much was it- was it enough to bond him out? If that transaction did occur, I hope they followed the money trail.......you can't tell me that PF had that cash in his own account. Did they bring this up in court? Sorry, I missed a bit today, and I am trying to catch up the best that I can.

There's that day Slagle went with him to the bank. I wonder who is handling the money withdrawn and how much was withdrawn?

sam notes #7

- Defense never objected about PF's handwriting in the open hearing
- Could PF face charges for solicitations of all the witnesses he wanted to have killed in those notes?
- Sam thinks no because he's already facing life sentence... if there is a not guilty verdict, maybe that changes, but he doesn't think they are tacking that on
- jury did hear the John Doe guy
- not sure why cookie cutters needed to be cleaned... likely had blood on them
- Sam is surprised defense didn't call any witnesses... or their own expert to poke holes in testimony
- no trial for KK... she will have sentencing... maximum is 3 years...
- the videos shown in court are not of the blood... it's video of KK in KB's house showing them where the blood was...
- somehow John Doe was bonded out of jail... not sure if PF or Sheila did that..
- KK has a review hearing in her case scheduled for December 2, 11:00 a.m.
- Civil case for Berreth family.. put on hold until this trial plays out
- Sam didn't look over at jury today... Slater went through those notes so quickly that Sam was so busy taking notes, he didn't look over at jury
- audible gasp from the general gallery during John Doe ... no one wasn't expecting that
- were the bags of teeth mentioned during trial... mentioned a few different teeth.. not sure
A huge thank you for transcribing Sam's videos for us. It is very kind of you and greatly appreciated. :) MOO

Holy Cow! Sam thinks PF or SF bonded out JohnDoe?! If SF did, then Can she be charged with soliciting murder? How would that work?! Oh my gosh, can this get any stranger?
It's kind of frightening, to be honest.

I am really worried about the Berreth's. I wish we could find out who bonded Doe out and how they were able to put up that money, if it is related to anyone around Patrick. It does look like one individual could have done it outside of the jail, as I doubt Patrick had that amount in his prison account.

I know no one wants to hear this and I am so sorry for bringing this up, but I do worry for Baby K's safety as well. She is considered safe with the Berreth's, and I know they will do everything in their power to protect her, but with Cheryl on his list and the other mother battling for custody, they would just be sick enough to try and do something out of anger. As if this were any of their fault!

I don't think that Patrick will ever stop trying to get revenge on those people on his list, and unfortunately, there are some crazy people out there that would, if the money was right, help him out. Doe appears to have a conscience, but not every criminal does, especially those desperate for money. He gave Doe their names and addresses! Who else will he give that information to in the future?

I vote this post below by @MassGuy on March 16, 2019 the best premonition in the history of Websleuths!!

PF DID cast written votes against himself at trial. On jail paper towels.

Bravo @MassGuy, Bravo!

"MassGuy said:
Haaaa. It’s rare to have a case like this, where the killer’s very efforts to misdirect law enforcement, end up making their case for them.

The digital evidence is so extensive, that it cannot be explained away.

It’s quite impressive.

For his next trick, PF will manage to cast a vote against himself at trial."

This thread is dedicated to discussion of Kelsey's case and the current trial. It is not a personal chat room.
We don't mind the odd bit of levity or the occasional quip, but when that odd quip ends up with umpteen odd quips or hilarity in response, it is derailing the thread ... when other members and guests, family or friends of the victims, come here to read about such a serious matter.

Please stay on topic and use private messaging for all the other things that don't relate directly to the case.

I vote this post below by @MassGuy on March 16, 2019 the best premonition in the history of Websleuths!!

PF DID cast written votes against himself at trial. On jail paper towels.

Bravo @MassGuy, Bravo!

"MassGuy said:
Haaaa. It’s rare to have a case like this, where the killer’s very efforts to misdirect law enforcement, end up making their case for them.

The digital evidence is so extensive, that it cannot be explained away.

It’s quite impressive.

For his next trick, PF will manage to cast a vote against himself at trial."

He sure did! Nice find.

On the final day of testimony, he basically testified against himself.

He did it without ever taking the stand, which was indeed a feat of magic.

It's kind of frightening, to be honest.

I am really worried about the Berreth's. I wish we could find out who bonded Doe out and how they were able to put up that money, if it is related to anyone around Patrick. It does look like one individual could have done it outside of the jail, as I doubt Patrick had that amount in his prison account.

I know no one wants to hear this and I am so sorry for bringing this up, but I do worry for Baby K's safety as well. She is considered safe with the Berreth's, and I know they will do everything in their power to protect her, but with Cheryl on his list and the other mother battling for custody, they would just be sick enough to try and do something out of anger. As if this were any of their fault!

I don't think that Patrick will ever stop trying to get revenge on those people on his list, and unfortunately, there are some crazy people out there that would, if the money was right, help him out. Doe appears to have a conscience, but not every criminal does, especially those desperate for money. He gave Doe their names and addresses! Who else will he give that information to in the future?
Could the letter receiver have been an inside CI?
Placed with him on purpose?
If he was would it be a problem or a resolution?
Patrick was unloading some major stuff! To a stranger who he believed thought like him
Poor guy was probably completely freaking out as each note came
I never heard did PF get notes back or nods?
Moo

I can picture it now...

They didn't bring this up. LE/DA only found out Sun/Mon best as I can tell. There's a lot of evidence to wade through about this, I'm sure. I trust them to do the right thing. Don't arrest her before you can convict her. But, please, please do it somewhere we can get a picture of it!
Agree- a picture would be so well worth the wait. Makes me shudder in relief that she didn't get custody of Baby K.

"One of the people PF solicited the jailhouse snitch to "take care of" was a LEO.
That's a HUGE no-no."

What did miss???

Knowing that an LE was on PF's hit list, Officers where PF is stationed, will certainly remember this fact.
Any requests from PF will be ignored.
Once in Prison, the same.
PF's life, from now on, will be miserable.
MOO.

Right now, I am all indignant at the mere thought that SF called Kelsey a hooker.

How dare she. How freaking dare she.

Yet that son of hers, she just may be helping in some capacity while he's in a dog crate, where he belongs for life. Shame on her.

As I wrap up my night I just can’t get over the stupidity here. It’s one of the most incredible cases I’ve ever seen, and it ends with Patrick enlisting a fellow inmate to murder nearly every single witness in the case, and he does it all in WRITING!

The book about this case is gonna be a fun one, that’s for sure. Can’t wait to see his and Moms face when they sentence him to LWOP.

From start to finish he is one of the stupidest murderers I’ve seen. Patrick and Watts would probably be best friends

Also, I really hope Sam gets a raise for his coverage of this trial. He’s been fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member