Found Deceased AK - Kathleen Henry, 30, video of murder victim found, Anchorage, 9 Oct 2019 *Arrest*

… snipped ...
Google translation:
" VIDEO GAMES
After Brian and his then girlfriend moved to Natal, he started working in the hospitality industry. During this time he started playing online video games and met Stephanie through it.
When he emigrated in 2014, it was his first overseas trip. He and Stephanie were married in the same year at a Christian ceremony in Anchorage. This is their first marriage and neither of them have children."

A "then girlfriend" and yet his heart was open to find someone new... Love or convenience?

JMO

I say -- Oh please, I beg of you, former dumped girlfriend, talk to the press and tell us about the real Brian!

You're a gem contributor, PatLaurel. Thank You.

SBM and BBM

n early October, Anchorage police found the body of Kathleen Henry, a native of the Yupik village of Eek in southwestern Alaska, along a stretch of highway south of town. Her alleged killer might never have been arrested had someone not found video of her slaying contained in a lost digital memory card.

Brian Smith, a naturalized U.S. citizen from South Africa, has been charged not only with her murder but that of another Yupik woman, Veronica Abouchuk, from the western Alaska village of Stebbins. Now, Anchorage is wondering whether it has a serial killer on its hands.

Rena Sapp, outside a courtroom Monday, Oct. 21, 2019, in Anchorage, Alaska, shows a photo of her sister, Veronica Abouchuk. Sapp attended the arraignment of Brian Steven Smith, who is accused of killing Abouchuk.
It’s a question many American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/ANs) have asked, given the epidemic of missing and slain indigenous people across North America. Many of these cases go unsolved.

Thirty years ago, the FBI launched the Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (ViCAP), a database of unsolved violent crimes, allowing police agencies around the country to report violent crimes, analyze existing data and find patterns that could lead them to the perpetrators.

But as The Atlantic reported in 2015, out of about 18,000 law enforcement agencies across the country, only about 1,400 participate in the system. This led investigative journalist Thomas K. Hargrove to create the Murder Accountability Project (MAP), a database that tracks unsolved killings across the United States. It includes not only FBI data but also information from police agencies that do not use ViCAP.

n early October, Anchorage police found the body of Kathleen Henry, a native of the Yupik village of Eek in southwestern Alaska, along a stretch of highway south of town. Her alleged killer might never have been arrested had someone not found video of her slaying contained in a lost digital memory card.

Brian Smith, a naturalized U.S. citizen from South Africa, has been charged not only with her murder but that of another Yupik woman, Veronica Abouchuk, from the western Alaska village of Stebbins. Now, Anchorage is wondering whether it has a serial killer on its hands.

Rena Sapp, outside a courtroom Monday, Oct. 21, 2019, in Anchorage, Alaska, shows a photo of her sister, Veronica Abouchuk. Sapp attended the arraignment of Brian Steven Smith, who is accused of killing Abouchuk.
It’s a question many American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/ANs) have asked, given the epidemic of missing and slain indigenous people across North America. Many of these cases go unsolved.

Thirty years ago, the FBI launched the Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (ViCAP), a database of unsolved violent crimes, allowing police agencies around the country to report violent crimes, analyze existing data and find patterns that could lead them to the perpetrators.

But as The Atlantic reported in 2015, out of about 18,000 law enforcement agencies across the country, only about 1,400 participate in the system. This led investigative journalist Thomas K. Hargrove to create the Murder Accountability Project (MAP), a database that tracks unsolved killings across the United States. It includes not only FBI data but also information from police agencies that do not use ViCAP.

Wow...sweetie (sorry, I really mean it and in a non patronizing way)...great! Thanks for posting this.

Wow...sweetie (sorry, I really mean it and in a non patronizing way)...great! Thanks for posting this.
The entire article has so much info. I wish I could have posted it all. I’ve been on a rage reading and realizing the indigenous people problem. So many many missing and murdered and it is written as is if no one cared. I’m referring to those LE people of power. What is going on? I’m shocked reading the stats. It’s crazy scary.

The entire article has so much info. I wish I could have posted it all. I’ve been on a rage reading and realizing the indigenous people problem. So many many missing and murdered and it is written as is if no one cared. I’m referring to those LE people of power. What is going on? I’m shocked reading the stats. It’s crazy scary.

Yes, it is a real big problem. Same problem with African Americans....and nobody still cares, not the way all this people deserve, that's why the upraise of the community is a good thing. Not for nothing there is a phenomena called the "missing white woman syndrome". Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia

I know Wiki is not a "real" source, but just to illustrate.

Last edited:
News OPINION:
There is a historic backlog of untested rape kits in Alaska and across the US. One woman in Alaska waited 18 years to have her rapist arrested because her rape kit wasn't processed. Our state's backlog and current testing is only being address because Rep. Geran Tarr, a woman, had to pass two laws to address the problem. No male legislators or governor saw this as a priority. She did. Women's priorities are often different from men's.

We all play a role in maintaining the system as it is. We are comfortable with the status quo. Fortunately, the "Me Too" movement has shone a bright light on the problem of sexual assault and rape. According to the American Journal of Psychiatry, "Sexual assault is about power and control and is not motivated by sexual gratification."

Mass media too needs to examine its role in maintaining the status quo. Consider the initial demeaning coverage of Kathleen Henry and her brutal death in an Anchorage hotel. The Anchorage Daily News detailed Henry's substance abuse and criminal history. That kind of reporting implies she somehow deserved it. The focus should have been on the murderer. Empathy should have been given to the victim. Only after public outcry was the story changed.
To end sexual assault, we must shift the status quo

A University of Oklahoma history professor and author of many books on the fate of Native American populations said he couldn’t write his latest book until more recent years.

“I couldn’t write ‘Massacre in Minnesota’ in the 1980s and 1990s. Then I took on the idiots bound and determined to show it (Dakota War of 1862 and aftermath) wasn’t genocide,” said Gary Clayton Anderson at the Brown County Historial Society Annual Meeting at the Best Western Conference Center Thursday.

Anderson said the U.S. government forced 130,000 Indians to move west after the war.

“That’s ethnic cleansing,” he said.

Anderson said 635 people died (including 52 in Milford Township), mostly women and children in two days in August 1862. It was a white massacre,” Anderson said. “I documented virtually every person. It gets hard to read. Kids were tomahawked in the head. Those that survived ran away in their night clothes.”

Anderson said the public execution of 38 Dakota Indians at Mankato, the largest mass execution in U.S. history, followed very brief murder trials in which the Indians did not realize what was happening.
Author says Dakota ethnically cleansed, robbed | News, Sports, Jobs - The Journal

Don't make me cry. Are you native yourself? It's totally ok if you don't want to share this.

A University of Oklahoma history professor and author of many books on the fate of Native American populations said he couldn’t write his latest book until more recent years.

“That’s ethnic cleansing,” he said.

Author says Dakota ethnically cleansed, robbed | News, Sports, Jobs - The Journal

How awful.

This case should have WAY more coverage. And to add, I thought there would have been many more people here at WS on this thread. Those of us who are here will keep on digging. I check MSM for updates every day too. Thanks!

Don't make me cry. Are you native yourself? It's totally ok if you don't want to share this.
I’m Choctaw from Daddy’s side and Cherokee from Mama. I cry every time I read about the Cherokee Trail of Tears. I’m proud of it. We are so strong. Because. They suffered for us. I’m so proud to say I’m an Okie forever. My ancestors gave so much property to townships to form cities in southeastern OK. Mama used to climb and play on the Heavener Runestone that was eventually found to have Vikings inscriptions dating before Columbus. My maiden name is Heavener. I know, TMI. This is me. What else can I say?

Last edited:
I’m Choctaw from Daddy’s side and Cherokee from Mama. I cry every time I read about the Cherokee Trail of Tears. I’m proud of it. We are so strong. Because. They suffered for us.

Thank you so much for sharing. I cry for your people...in my heart....I'm a total white female with roots from Spain, gypsies and the Vikings...so all mixed up...looking white. Soon I will be doing a DNA test to find out, what I'm really "made of". I will wait for a discount. hahaha

Last edited:
How awful.

This case should have WAY more coverage. And to add, I thought there would have been many more people here at WS on this thread. Those of us who are here will keep on digging. I check MSM for updates every day too. Thanks!
Thank you so much for saying what I’m thinking. It makes me sad that others may not even realize the consistency of trends ignoring people of color.

Thank you so much for sharing. I cry for your people...in my heart....I'm a total white female with roots from Spain, gypsies and the Vikings...so all mixed up...looking white. Soon I will be doing a DNA test to find out, what I'm really "made of". I will wait for a discount. hahaha

Well I, myself, am an Appalachian American from West Virginia. (Although I don't live there anymore).

I married a Puerto Rican. So I jokingly call myself a "West VirginiaRican". Lord only knows what my DNA would reveal. lol.

Well I, myself, am an Appalachian American from West Virginia. (Although I don't live there anymore).

I married a Puerto Rican. So I jokingly call myself a "West VirginiaRican". Lord only knows what my DNA would reveal. lol.
I know I have Black Dutch, who aren’t colored black so I don’t really understand the name, from my grandmas side. Then married an Indian. She is listed as Squaw on the rolls. I don’t like that but...They came over by boat from England. I look totally white but almost everyone can tell from remarking on my high cheekbones. I really like meeting new people who are open to conversation.

Last edited:
I know I have Black Dutch, who aren’t colored black so I don’t really understand the name, from my grandmas side. Then married an Indian. She is listed as Squaw on the rolls. I don’t like that but...They came over by boat from England. I look totally white but almost everyone can tell from remarking on my high cheekbones. I really like meeting new people who are open to conversation.[/QUOTE
BBM

Me too. I actually know a bit about the term "black dutch" from growing up in West Virginia. I heard the term as a kid. See below from Wikipedia.

As early as the 18th century, ethnic Germans migrated from Pennsylvania into Virginia and settled in the Appalachian Mountains. They likely continued to use their term of "Black Dutch" to refer to swarthy-skinned people. Historically, mixed-race European-Native American and sometimes full blood Native American families of the South adopted the term "Black Dutch".

The practice of Cherokee and other Southeast Native Americans identifying as "Black Dutch" may have originated during and after the 1830s Indian removal era.

Interesting. We're all the same but embrace different heritage.[/

Last edited:
If he killed someone in 2018 and again in 2019 that's super close together. He's 48ish?
Of course he probably killed in the service, as well.
Agree?
Agree! I can't help but wonder if all his gruesome stories and pictures on Quora have a factual basis not in things he witnessed as he claims, but in things he did. And enjoyed, and is reliving through posting comments on Quora. Like he would have relived Kathleen's murder through his videos.

I am hoping some families of missing or murdered women end up getting some closure because investigators are able to link BSS to those crimes. This case has really piqued my interest in the tragedy of missing and murdered indigenous women across North America. I am reading a heartbreaking and fascinating book right now that I think some of you sleuthing this case will appreciate called Highway of Tears.

ETA: I for one sincerely appreciate your focus on diversity, @imstilla.grandma, and being a voice for those left behind in the quest for justice! XOXO

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SAGEWITHRAGE