CA - 3 dead, including gunman, Saugus High School, Santa Clarita, 14 Nov 2019

Report that the shooter's girlfriend is described as being his 'emotional anchor' and they'd been having issues recently.

"Federal and state investigators are also trying to determine whether the handgun used by the suspect was made from parts purchased separately and then assembled, law enforcement sources told The Times.

These so-called ghost guns are unserialized weapons manufactured from parts that can be ordered through the mail or machined parts acquired from underground makers."
Santa Clarita shooting: Teen dies of self-inflicted wound; guns seized from his home

He should have been arrested at least twice but wasn't because the school didn't report the incidents to police because of a school district aimed at reducing the so called school to prison pipeline. Had he been arrested and convicted, he wouldn't have been able to buy his weapons legally.

He was never reported for any of the various threats he made against students or the multiple times he said he was going to shoot up the school. The FBI had two tips on him they failed to follow up on. There we so many failures at all levels it's mind boggling

that is not true. He was on an IEP. Children on an IEP have many protections. Parents have demanded that special needs students have legal protections

The school wanted him committed but the doctors didn't agree and the same police officer who failed to act the day of the shooting had in the beginning wanted to initiate the Baker Act but then changed his mind after visiting his house. Had they done that he for sure would have red flagged on the background check. Since nothing was ever done about his behavior or violent incidents, there was nothing in the system to red flag him.

There was other threats against students that they themselves they didn't report along with other school shooting threats they didn't take seriously enough to report.

I don't think the FBI seriously investigated it. Between this and the night club shooter, that's two instances where they knew about the shooter beforehand and nothing happened.

I don't blame them either but at the same time some of their anger is directed at the wrong people. We know David High isn't going to come out and criticize the FBI because of his father. I never heard any of them criticize the school or BCSO for their failures along the way which allowed him to buy his weapons

the school did what they were legally allowed to do. Please read about the rights of special needs students

I had pondered earlier if he had problems with the girlfriend. If she as stated was his emotional anchor I'm sure she has much info. That may have been the trigger. I feel for her being so close to this. Not to mention the toll on her as a teen herself being his anchor. That's a lot for a young girl.

dominic-blackwell.jpg

Dominic Blackwell
https://nypost.com/2019/11/15/dominic-blackwell-identified-as-saugus-high-school-shooting-victim/
“On Nov. 14, 2019, this world lost a bright, shining light … personified by a goofy laugh, cheesy smile, and a huge, caring heart,” his page said.

“He was taken from his family and friends in the most senseless of ways,” the page said. “His three brothers will miss their big brother greatly, and his parents’ dreams for him will never be realized.”

Dominic was also remembered by a friend as a football player who played on a local youth team, ABC Los Angeles reported.

Out of the mouths of babes...rbbm.
It Finally Happened Here
I live in Santa Clarita. Here's what it was like as America's latest school shooting unfolded.
By
Anthony Breznican
November 16, 2019

"One couple I know told me their neighbor, an LAPD officer, urged them to get their child out of school. Uncertainty about the whereabouts of the shooter, along with the possibility of copycats, made home the safest option.

I decided to ask for my own children to be pulled out of class. The father of my son’s six-year-old best friend asked for his boy to be brought out too, and they emerged together. Neither understood what was happening, except that a bad guy was on the loose nearby. “Venom is in the school,” my son’s friend said, eyebrows flashing, referring, I suppose, to the only kind of bad guy he could imagine: Spider-Man’s snarling alien symbiote foe.

Another mom told me she walked into her daughter’s fifth-grade class to find the teacher kneeling in a circle of her students, leading them in hushed prayer. When my daughter emerged, she looked heartsick.

She was still wearing her black-and-white Pilgrim outfit for that afternoon’s Thanksgiving presentation. I asked her what she knew, what the teacher had told them.

She didn’t look up. “Someone at Saugus High…hurt kids.” It was barely a whisper. Then her face broke, and she cried as I hugged her."

I hope I don't get too much hate for posting this, but what do you think of this epidemiologist's take on violence prevention? I came across this a few weeks ago and find it to be a very interesting and compelling theory. (This guy also runs an NGO which is getting some pretty good results using this theory as an anchoring point for violence interventions.)

I can definitely see how the type of dynamic described in this theory might have been at play here, given the background information we know so far.

VIOLENCE IS A CONTAGIOUS DISEASE - Contagion of Violence - NCBI Bookshelf

Dear @NJSleuth91,

I'm so glad you shared this link and information.

As we question why these shootings are occurring so frequently, this subject aptly fits into this thread.

When Dr. Slutkin returned from working in countries after successfully lowering epidemic rates there, he became interested in what was behind the rise of shootings.

Dr. Gary Slutkin didn't just put his theory out there - his practice of working to lower epidemics was put in place in Chicago and the number of shootings decreased dramatically.

I recommend his Ted Talk on this to see the graphs and stats on this.
Let's treat violence like a contagious disease

Many people believe that social media contributes to this epidemic of shootings and I agree with this as well.

Any work with the goal of decreasing shootings is invaluable and I feel that Dr. Slutkin's contribution to this is commendable.

There is always hope.

These are only my opinions.

Last edited:
I always feel terrible for the families of the kids that do this stuff. I don't know if I could live with it, if it was my kid. Specially when it's kids like this one, apparently "normal", with friends, participating in activities at school and in their community. I would go crazy.

All sounds like a very typical history for school shooters -- sudden loss of a parent (with the additional trauma of being the one to find the body), history of parental substance abuse and possible domestic violence, relationship problems and loss of a support system shortly before the event, easy access to guns in the home, etc. I even read in some FBI study that school shooters tend to be above-average students.

Also I could be wrong, but I'm kind of getting the impression that he was somewhat isolated over the past few years. Like he was friendly with people on a surface level but maybe not really close to many people...the comment from his friend about how he was "doing his own thing" and all that.

Also I have to say, after following a certain spree killing case over the past few months, it's very refreshing in a way to see the police being this transparent with information even just one day after the shooting.
Apparently, NB was brain dead upon entering the hospital. It was just a matter of time. Probably why LE was transparent.

I am a huge supporter of organ transplant. One of my besties is a 39 year kidney recipient (sister donated) and I myself filled out card to let them have whatever is useful at the time of my passing. I gotta say if I was to get his heart I wouldn't want to know it was his. Sorry to say. I hope whoever gets it lives a long and healthy life.

Dear @NJSleuth91,

As we question why these shootings are occurring so frequently, this subject aptly fits into this thread.

When Dr. Slutkin returned from working in countries after successfully lowering epidemic rates there, he became interested in what was behind the rise of shootings.

Dr. Gary Slutkin didn't just put his theory out there - his practice of working to lower epidemics was put in place in Chicago and the number of shootings decreased dramatically.

Many people believe that social media contributes to this epidemic of shootings and I agree with this as well.

Any work with the goal of decreasing shootings is invaluable and I feel that Dr. Slutkin's contribution to this is commendable.

There is always hope.

it is wonderful, but social media exists everywhere. School shootings are incredibly rare in other parts of the world. All nations have video games, social media, divorce, psychotropic drugs, and every other social ill. America is alone in this

I bet you he had some kind of internet history that would tie him to doing some kind of crap like this. The FBI needs to start taking people who make THREATS online more seriously, as well as those who have particular extremist views showing up and online activity history.

Totally agree.
This young man came from an UNSTABLE family:
2015- his father was arrested for domestic violence/battery on his mother. Father was
reported to have alcohol problem, was big game hunter, owned numerous guns.

2016- His mother filed for full custody of 3 children.
2017- His father died suddenly from heart attack.
2019- Shooter decides to commit suicide on his
16th birthday. His internal anger and disrespect
for other and life cause him to take out others.
He was probably depressed.
His problems all started and ended within his chaotic
family life.
No mystery here.
MOO

The father being a big game hunter and owning numerous guns doesn’t mean the family is UNSTABLE.

Dear @NJSleuth91,

There is always hope.

Yes that's what makes his theory so compelling (besides the fact that it just viscerally makes sense to me) -- it seems to be getting really good results. Which is really the only thing that ultimately matters.

I don't subscribe to the "we can't prevent these things from happening because some people are just evil and that's that" theory. That attitude just seems like a way to abdicate responsibility as a society for solving this problem. And furthermore, it's not backed up by the scientific evidence on the subject.

Apparently, NB was brain dead upon entering the hospital. It was just a matter of time. Probably why LE was transparent.

Yeah unfortunately in some cases (and some countries specifically), even the death of the suspect(s) does not cause the police to be any more transparent with their investigation. Even when it comes to sharing basic information with the suspects' families about what happened...and even when it comes to sharing basic information with the public like "what type of weapon was used to commit the murders" and "approximately when did the suspects die."

But I digress. In any case I appreciate that the police are being open with what they're doing, and what they do and don't know, in this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back