DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match.

I love this thread! You guys are amazing for keeping up with all these cases being solved with DNA! Praying that one day, I see the Boy in the Box case here.
You've probably already seen it, but just in case you haven't there's also a thread for the DNA Doe Project.

DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

At one time they weren't researching children, but I think they've broadened out a bit now. Hopefully they (or Parabon etc.) will take up the boy in the box soon.

Last edited:
You've probably already seen it, but just in case you haven't there's also a thread for the DNA Doe Project.

At one time they weren't researching children, but I think they've broadened out a bit now. Hopefully they (or Parabon etc.) will take up the boy in the box soon.
Thank you. I hadn’t seen that thread before. Interesting.

No I’ve not seen this before! Thank you so much! :)

Omg!! I just thought of something,
speaking of the boy in the box (ugh what a horrible title)—

I know there are many UIDs here, but now with this door being opened which is not only limited to tracking down perps, you know what would be incredible? Is if they identified Smurfette and Madison Jane Doe! (Both of their cases can be found here upon a search).

Wow. Just amazing, all this.

I just posted over there suggesting a combination of sorts. So much is happening. The time to organize and create is now! Who has the energy and time to help??? I will and can help but my mind isn’t where I need it to be. Right now anyway but I’m gonna get there. Everyday is progress. For those of you who don’t know wth I’m talking about. I’m recovering from a stroke and a medically induced coma. Long and short story.
Eta: a poster on the other thread suggested her view and it makes sense. Perhaps I should start over at page one of each thread.

Last edited:
A Bakersfield man was charged Friday with capital murder for the slayings of two women in the 1980s, including a woman whose body was found in the trunk of her car in a Burbank parking lot.

Horace Van Vaultz Jr. was linked through DNA to the June 9, 1986, sexual assault and asphyxiation of 22-year-old Mary Duggan, who was found dead in Burbank, and the July 16, 1981, sexual assault and strangulation of Selena Keough, a 20-year-old mother who was killed in San Bernardino County and dumped under bushes in Montclair, Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey told reporters.

Vaultz, 64, is set to be arraigned Monday in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom on two counts of murder, which include the special-circumstance allegations of lying in wait, murder during the commission of a rape and sodomy and multiple murders. The District Attorney's Office will decide later whether to seek the death penalty against Vaultz, who was described by Burbank police Detective Aaron Kay as having a "criminal record consistent with this type of behavior."

Vaultz -- who had been under surveillance -- was arrested Thursday during a traffic stop in the Inglewood area, the detective said.
DNA Links Man to Cold Case Murders of 2 Women
Thread for Mary and Selena:
CA - Mary Duggan, 22, June 9, 1986, Burbank / Selena Keough, 20, July 16, 1981, Montclair *Arrest*

I just posted over there suggesting a combination of sorts. So much is happening. The time to organize and create is now! Who has the energy and time to help??? I will and can help but my mind isn’t where I need it to be. Right now anyway but I’m gonna get there. Everyday is progress. For those of you who don’t know wth I’m talking about. I’m recovering from a stroke and a medically induced coma. Long and short story.
Eta: a poster on the other thread suggested her view and it makes sense. Perhaps I should start over at page one of each thread.
Very sorry to hear about your health issues, I'd never have guessed it from your posts (I hope that doesn't sound patronising, it isn't my intention). Really hope you recover soon and get your mind back to where it should be.

I'm happy to help out if things need organising. I like the idea of a sub-forum, as suggested on the DNA Doe thread.

As we're discussing forum etiquette, am I being presumptuous by posting threads from here in the resolved cold cases forum? Not sure where the best place for them to go is when they don't already have a thread.

This thread is moving so fast, I didn't know if this has already been posted.

Charles Gary Sullivan was charged Friday with open murder of 21-year-old of San Rafael, California, 40 years after the woman's bludgeoned body was discovered in a shallow grave near Reno, Nevada, authorities said...
Police said her eyes were sealed shut with bandaids, her legs were zip-tied, and it appeared that a blow to the head killed her...
Using DNA tools that were unavailable four decades ago, investigators tied Sullivan to Woodward's death, according to an indictment filed in August and unsealed this week.

Man arrested in 40-year-old cold case murder of California woman

NV - NV - Julia Woodward, 21, Washoe County, 1979

“BAYTOWN, Texas -- A man has been charged in the death of Nataliya Shal, whose body was found lying on the floor of her Baytown apartment on Mother's Day 2016. The case went cold for nearly a year and a half until forensic evidence, much like that seen on a CSI television show, helped lead investigators to her alleged killer.”

‘All pieces of puzzle fell together’: Familial DNA helps crack case of woman murdered on Mother’s Day, police say
DECEMBER 27, 2017

Assembling the puzzle pieces

"Kind of the way this came about, we had been working this case for some time and the first part of this year, a homicide investigator actually went to a training session with the CODIS lab. And during that training session, they started talking about Familial DNA," Dorris explained. "A theory was posed if that we ever had a case that met this certain criteria, would we be interested in looking at it? And it just so happened that one of my guys in the training session said 'I think we've got a case.'"

Snip

“"In June of this year, we submitted that same DNA evidence to the DPS CODIS lab to have it tested for any familial links to persons currently in custody," Dorris explained.

As a result of that testing, on Nov. 28, detectives were able to identify Collins as a person of interest.

"Once we figured out who a family match was we started the process of elimination and looking at who a potential suspect may be and came up with Byron Collins," Dorris said.

While conducting surveillance on Collins, detectives were able to get a sample of his DNA -- a cigarette butt -- which was sent to the Harris County Institute of Forensic Science and compared to the DNA evidence collected at the crime scene.

The lab confirmed a positive match on Dec. 18.”

Coleman reportedly choked 40-year-old Lula Cunnigan, ran her over with a vehicle and possibly sexually assaulted her.

Police had a breakthrough in 2015 when DNA from Cunnigan's sexual assault kit matched Coleman. According to court documents, in years since, Coleman admitted coming across the victim and having sex in a van. But blames another man for driving over her.

"It's not everyday that any police department is able to make an arrest in a 25-year-old homicide," Interim Chief Vic Wahl, Madison Police Department, said.

Madison, Wisconsin police arrested Coleman in Marion where he will be held while awaiting prosecution.
Indiana man arrested in Wisconsin homicide cold case

Police said Friday that through genealogy DNA testing, the deceased woman was positively identified as Marcia Kaylynn Bateman of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Bateman’s family has been contacted and they are “grateful” that she’s been located.

Investigators are still working to determine how Bateman ended up dead in Michigan.
‘I-196 Jane’ cold case victim found in 1988 has been identified

Evidence revealed during a bail hearing Wednesday included DNA of two unidentified men and the defendant in a Woonsocket murder case.

Matthew Dusseault, 22, was arrested last year and charged with murdering 81-year old Constance Gauthier, who according to police was stabbed more than 60 times in her Woonsocket home in 2016.

Dusseault, who has been held without bail since his arrest, appeared for a bail hearing in R.I. Superior Court on Wednesday.
DNA evidence details revealed in Woonsocket murder case

An acquaintance of Bey recalls meeting her in 2015. "I picked her up, and, you know, we had just a couple bucks, and she was hungry, and she was quiet," said Lisa Caputo.

Caputo says she and her friend had just picked up Bey from jail in Belle Glade just months before investigators say Hayes killed Bey and left her naked body near the Beeline Highway and Indiantown Road in March of 2016.

Caputo said, "She was a sweet girl. Through my experience if the drugs don't get you, the lifestyle will. It's unfortunate what happened to her."

She says they both were doing drugs at the time. Investigators say Bey was the last of four women Hayes murdered after moving to Palm Beach County from Volusia County.

The chief of forensic services with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Loria Napolitano, said, "The connection through these cases to the Palm Beach case was through the crime lab DNA left at the crime scene."
Local woman recalls meeting fourth victim of Daytona Beach serial killer

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back