Identified! AL - Opelika, 'Juvenile Jane Doe', BlkFem, UP9834, 4-7, in woods, abused, Jan'12 *reward* - Amore Joveah Wiggins

Hi everyone. New to the site so still trying to work it. Was really hoping this case would be trending. Its such an unfortunate case and I really hope more is done to solve it. I've been looking into it a bit myself on the little details available. What is everyone's opinions?

What is everyone's opinions?
First of all: Welcome to Websleuths! To answer your question, you should read through the thread. It started for almost seven years ago, and has seen its share of development + theories during those years. Maybe you have a theory that has not been discussed yet?

Apologies, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to share outside links.
There are strict rules for what you may and may not share. For instance, hearsay is a big NO-NO. You find WS ToS here.

Went on a hiatus for a bit from WS and put myself I n a self imposed indefinite time out from fatal child abuse/neglect cases in particular. However, I came across this case again when I saw there had been updates on the case. I immediately thought of Erica Green (aka Precious Doe) and I’m a big believer in comparing similar cases to see what, if any, can be applied to open cases. The fact that both Erica and Opelika Doe where young when they died but no one came forward to claim them is mystery, but I’m not surprised by it. In Erica’s case, the family moved often, staying with relatives and friends for short periods of time, so there wasn’t enough time to notice something was really wrong. Plus Erica’s age is a similar factor because both girls weren’t school aged just yet. Until mandated reporters like teachers are seeing a child on a regular basis, it’s possible that no reports had ever been made to CPS.

So, that got me thinking.......I wonder if Opelika Doe’s family, were displaced by Hurricane Katrina and they hadn’t returned to New Orleans yet. Katrina happened in 2005 and Opelika was found in 2012. Plus, FEMA provided trailers for displaced families to live in while they rebuilt their homes and lives which could explain the trailer park connection. Katrina also destroyed so much and people were sent all over the place, not everyone returned to the area to this day. And while some government documentation could exist for Opelika like a birth certificate, tons of information and records were destroyed completely. With families scattered all over the country, it would be easy to hide a child’s death by saying she’s with relatives or friends in another state.

I don’t know whether anyone else has thought Hurricane Katrina could be involved, I apologize if so. But if Gypsy Blanchard’s mother could fake illnesses in her daughter and get away with it, then anything is possible. They even were given a Habitat For Humanity house donated to them because they claimed to be Hurricane Katrina victims. If Opelika’s eye was something she had at birth or was injured later on, maybe there are pediatric eye doctors who treated her for it. Blaming the Hurricane could certainly be a plausible excuse for how it was damaged. It’s also common for eyes to be affected if mom has any untreated STD’s at the time she’s giving birth.

Anyway, just a thought.....

I'm unsure if LE thinks a stranger committed this murder or a family member...I think a parent or foster-parent could be responsible...This child may not have been reported missing...

I would recommend that LE pull the identies of all residents who had utilities in their trailer at this mobile home park between 2008-2012...

Cross reference that list with family's that received pubic assistance that listed children in their household....Or LE can find out what children were claimed on taxes...

If the child was abused it may have been a pattern...I wouldn't be surprised if CPS visited the household or a caseworker if the child was adopted...

Opelika seems pretty close to GA...It would be an easy place to move to...

My suggestions were probably already done though...

I'm unsure if LE thinks a stranger committed this murder or a family member...I think a parent or foster-parent could be responsible...This child may not have been reported missing...

I would recommend that LE pull the identies of all residents who had utilities in their trailer at this mobile home park between 2008-2012...

Cross reference that list with family's that received pubic assistance that listed children in their household....Or LE can find out what children were claimed on taxes...

If the child was abused it may have been a pattern...I wouldn't be surprised if CPS visited the household or a caseworker if the child was adopted...

Opelika seems pretty close to GA...It would be an easy place to move to...

My suggestions were probably already done though...
It is very close

Reward increases for information about Opelika Baby Jane Doe

5dadca0eac083.image.jpg

The investigation into the mysterious death of Baby Jane Doe, whose remains were found in 2012, continues in Opelika, and the reward for information about the child’s death has increased.

Isotope testing was performed in 2017 on the girl’s bones, revealing more information about who the child was, the Opelika Police Department said.

The results suggested that the girl was from the southeastern part of the United States, and that there is a strong possibility the girl was born and raised in Alabama or surrounding states, police said.

Opelika police also announced the reward for information about the child’s death has increased to $20,000, double the previous amount.
---
The skeletal remains of the unidentified little girl were discovered on Jan. 28, 2012, at a trailer park on Hurst Street in Opelika.

Police believe the girl had been deceased between nine months and two years when her remains were found. It is estimated she died between 2010 and 2012, police said.
---
The girl is estimated to be 4–7 years old. She had medium-length black hair, which was styled in small tight curls. The girl’s height, weight and eye color cannot be determined, said police.

“An anthropological assessment of her bones suggest she had likely been abused and malnourished in life,” a release from Opelika police said.

A long-sleeve pink shirt with heart buttons and small ruffles near the neckline was discovered near the girl’s skeletal remains; however, it is unknown if it belonged to the child, said police.

Reward increases for information about Opelika Baby Jane Doe

$20,000 reward offered in Opelika Baby Jane Doe case

image-6.png

A $20,000 reward is waiting to be claimed as exhaustive efforts to solve a Baby Jane Doe case in Opelika remain just as intense as the day the child’s remains were discovered nine years ago off Hurst Street.
---
Meniefield presented a plaque honoring investigators’ work on the Baby Jane Doe case. “I thought about doing this plaque cause I know they work hard, and I think about this case a lot. This is somebody’s child, somebody’s sister, and a family’s baby girl,” she said.

The plaque was deeply appreciated by several investigators who met with Meniefield on Thursday inside the Opelika Police Department.

Baby-Jane-Doe.png

---
Nine years later, investigators work the case daily, believing the child lived and was murdered in east Alabama by someone familiar with Opelika.

Baby Jane Doe was killed between 2010 and 2012 when she was between 3 to 7 years old.

“Jane Doe” is believed to be the little girl in pictures from Greater Peace Baptist Church Vacation Bible School in Opelika. The child in the photos has never been identified since they first surfaced in 2016.

Detectives believe she suffered long-term physical abuse at the hands of her killer, leaving her left eye blind with a scar on her face.

Baby-Jane-Doe-5-1.png

$20,000 reward offered in Opelika Baby Jane Doe case

I'm covering this one on the blog, now. I saw a few comments previously on this thread about the photos and the child not looking unkempt despite the teacher stating she had. I just wanted to point out that the teachers at the bible school could have had spare donated clothes to change her into, they may have also cleaned her up and done her hair for her. There are some schools in the UK that do this, especially if it's a common occurrence for a child to turn up unkempt.

I'm covering this one on the blog, now. I saw a few comments previously on this thread about the photos and the child not looking unkempt despite the teacher stating she had. I just wanted to point out that the teachers at the bible school could have had spare donated clothes to change her into, they may have also cleaned her up and done her hair for her. There are some schools in the UK that do this, especially if it's a common occurrence for a child to turn up unkempt.

Yes, you could be right. In the Netherlands, especially schools in certain neighborhoods, serve breakfast because the kids are coming to school without having anything to eat, being hungry. Also give them coats and warmer clothing if they are send to school without warm enough clothing for the time of year.

Yes, you could be right. In the Netherlands, especially schools in certain neighborhoods, serve breakfast because the kids are coming to school without having anything to eat, being hungry. Also give them coats and warmer clothing if they are send to school without warm enough clothing for the time of year.
Similar to the UK, there are breakfast clubs for kids in school, for kids whose parents have to leave for work early, and for those living in poverty so they're getting a good breakfast and lunch at least during this week.

Went on a hiatus for a bit from WS and put myself I n a self imposed indefinite time out from fatal child abuse/neglect cases in particular. However, I came across this case again when I saw there had been updates on the case. I immediately thought of Erica Green (aka Precious Doe) and I’m a big believer in comparing similar cases to see what, if any, can be applied to open cases. The fact that both Erica and Opelika Doe where young when they died but no one came forward to claim them is mystery, but I’m not surprised by it. In Erica’s case, the family moved often, staying with relatives and friends for short periods of time, so there wasn’t enough time to notice something was really wrong. Plus Erica’s age is a similar factor because both girls weren’t school aged just yet. Until mandated reporters like teachers are seeing a child on a regular basis, it’s possible that no reports had ever been made to CPS.

So, that got me thinking.......I wonder if Opelika Doe’s family, were displaced by Hurricane Katrina and they hadn’t returned to New Orleans yet. Katrina happened in 2005 and Opelika was found in 2012. Plus, FEMA provided trailers for displaced families to live in while they rebuilt their homes and lives which could explain the trailer park connection. Katrina also destroyed so much and people were sent all over the place, not everyone returned to the area to this day. And while some government documentation could exist for Opelika like a birth certificate, tons of information and records were destroyed completely. With families scattered all over the country, it would be easy to hide a child’s death by saying she’s with relatives or friends in another state.

I don’t know whether anyone else has thought Hurricane Katrina could be involved, I apologize if so. But if Gypsy Blanchard’s mother could fake illnesses in her daughter and get away with it, then anything is possible. They even were given a Habitat For Humanity house donated to them because they claimed to be Hurricane Katrina victims. If Opelika’s eye was something she had at birth or was injured later on, maybe there are pediatric eye doctors who treated her for it. Blaming the Hurricane could certainly be a plausible excuse for how it was damaged. It’s also common for eyes to be affected if mom has any untreated STD’s at the time she’s giving birth.

Anyway, just a thought.....

Sorry just seen this, I researched this and it did hit Alabama, however from what I remember from my research I had ruled out her being around during Katrina. I'll see if I can find out my reasoning in my notes and I'll update you. There was another hurricane after Katrina, too and several storms as I thought perhaps the skull and remains had been swept down the creek by a storm, then wind or an animal had carried the skull away. Possibly a farfetched explanation, but I ruled it out through timeframes, I'll confirm that 100% though once I go through my notes.

I didn't know that about untreated STD's causing that, it's an interesting theory.

Sorry just seen this, I researched this and it did hit Alabama, however from what I remember from my research I had ruled out her being around during Katrina. I'll see if I can find out my reasoning in my notes and I'll update you. There was another hurricane after Katrina, too and several storms as I thought perhaps the skull and remains had been swept down the creek by a storm, then wind or an animal had carried the skull away. Possibly a farfetched explanation, but I ruled it out through timeframes, I'll confirm that 100% though once I go through my notes.

I didn't know that about untreated STD's causing that, it's an interesting theory.

I found my notes, so reports say that Baby Doe would have been aged between 4 - 7. This means she would have been born between 2004 (7) - 2007 (4) this would be if she died in 2011, but we, of course, don't know as she could have been dead up to 2 years before she was found. They had also mentioned in the isotope testing that she was from Alabama or surrounding areas so this would rule out her being from another place. You could be right that her parents or family were from other areas of the US and moved to Alabama after Katrina.

Hurricane Ivan hit in 2004, followed by Katrina in 2005. Alabama was never directly "hit" by a hurricane, but it was hit by six category 3 storms, Katrina's caused damage to Mobile Bay, Bayou La Bartre, Dauphin Island and stretched to the east of Destin. No one from Alabama perished in the storms. This is the link to the site I got this information from.

Opelika Police receives award for work on found-girl case

[...]

Not much is known about the girl other than her estimated age and race, but detectives at the Opelika Police Department have worked each day since her discovery to shed light on the situation.

Capt. Jonathon Clifton and Lt. Bob Hester are two of the primary detectives that worked alongside Capt. Shane Healey on the case.

“This case has been and will be a priority for us until it is solved,” Hester said. “We will stay motivated to give justice to Baby Jane Doe.”

There is a $20,000 reward in place for anyone with any information about the identification of the little girl.

“We have been working this case for years and we will continue to work this case diligently for as long as it takes,” Clifton said. “We are determined to get answers. We are determined to find out Jane Doe’s real name, and we are determined to do whatever it takes to solve this case.”

Read more: Opelika Police receives award for work on found-girl case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back