Found Deceased AK - Kathleen Henry, 30, video of murder victim found, Anchorage, 9 Oct 2019 *Arrest*

Agree! I can't help but wonder if all his gruesome stories and pictures on Quora have a factual basis not in things he witnessed as he claims, but in things he did. And enjoyed, and is reliving through posting comments on Quora. Like he would have relived Kathleen's murder through his videos.

I am hoping some families of missing or murdered women end up getting some closure because investigators are able to link BSS to those crimes. This case has really piqued my interest in the tragedy of missing and murdered indigenous women across North America. I am reading a heartbreaking and fascinating book right now that I think some of you sleuthing this case will appreciate called Highway of Tears.
I had the same thought when I watched his YouTube videos. I just didn't know how to put it into words as well as you did. All those videos he took out in the middle of nowhere.

BBM

Me too. I actually know a bit about the term "black dutch" from growing up in West Virginia. I heard the term as a kid. See below from Wikipedia.

As early as the 18th century, ethnic Germans migrated from Pennsylvania into Virginia and settled in the Appalachian Mountains. They likely continued to use their term of "Black Dutch" to refer to swarthy-skinned people. Historically, mixed-race European-Native American and sometimes full blood Native American families of the South adopted the term "Black Dutch".

The practice of Cherokee and other Southeast Native Americans identifying as "Black Dutch" may have originated during and after the 1830s Indian removal era.

Interesting. We're all the same but embrace different heritage.[/
Wow! Thank you so much. I had tried to find out about it years before the internet came out when grandma told me about it. I remember the German part but didn’t know how the integration with the Cherokee came into play. How interesting. Yes, we are all FAMILY.

Agree! I can't help but wonder if all his gruesome stories and pictures on Quora have a factual basis not in things he witnessed as he claims, but in things he did. And enjoyed, and is reliving through posting comments on Quora. Like he would have relived Kathleen's murder through his videos.

I am hoping some families of missing or murdered women end up getting some closure because investigators are able to link BSS to those crimes. This case has really piqued my interest in the tragedy of missing and murdered indigenous women across North America. I am reading a heartbreaking and fascinating book right now that I think some of you sleuthing this case will appreciate called Highway of Tears.

ETA: I for one sincerely appreciate your focus on diversity, @imstilla.grandma, and being a voice for those left behind in the quest for justice! XOXO
Yes, I never thought of him talking about HIS own stories. Very possible.

“I can’t discuss details of the case but can confirm the FBI has provided and continues to provide investigative and technical assistance to the Anchorage Police Department,” Forrest said by email.

Brian Steven Smith, 48, faces charges of murder, sexual assault and evidence tampering, according to an indictment filed Monday. A court appearance was scheduled for Wednesday.

The card was labeled, “Homicide at midtown Marriott.” Midtown is a section of Anchorage.

Detectives reviewed the card and found 39 photos and 12 videos. The videos showed a man beating and strangling a woman, telling her to die and laughing.

The woman attacked had dark hair and was described as “possibly Alaskan Native.”

The man’s voice in the video had what sounded like an English accent. Detectives listening to the video remembered the voice from a previous investigation and linked it to Smith, an immigrant from South Africa.

Investigators learned that Smith from Sept. 2-4 had stayed at TownePlace Suites by Marriott. Photos on the memory card showed a partial license plate on a black pickup, and detectives linked it to a 1999 Ford Ranger registered to Smith and his wife.

Cellphone records placed Smith in the area where Henry’s body was found shortly after the last photo was taken.

Anchorage police have declined to comment on a previous investigation involving Smith.
FBI helping in investigation of homicide recorded on video | WTOP

The FBI and the Bureau of Indian Affairs have jurisdiction to lead criminal investigations on many Indian reservations but failed to report either the occurrence of these crimes or whether they were cleared through the arrest of the offenders. The Army, Navy, Air Force and Department of Defense have also failed to report to the Justice Department many thousands of homicides and other major crimes for which they had jurisdiction.
Federal Complaint PDF:
https://uc3f39ed9122d17d71c0ee8cfe0...bJNLUxU13lPU1QoqoGWyUraMDOnlp33rQU/file?dl=1#

Murder Accountability Project

View attachment 215487
Dear Governor Dunleavy,

We are reaching out about an important issue that has been ignored for far too long that needs your strong leadership and partnership as part of a collective approach to protect our Alaska Native women and girls.

Alaska continues to face some of the highest rates of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG) in the Nation. In a recent study by the Urban Indian Health Institute, Alaska ranks fourth in the Nation for the highest number of cases of MMIWG, and Anchorage listed as the third highest number of MMIWG cases across the 71 cities included in the study.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has reported that murder is the third-leading cause of death among American Indian and Alaska Native women and that rates of violence on reservations and rural areas can be up to ten times higher than the national average.

The State and law enforcement on all levels continually fail to protect our Indigenous women. Tragedies continue to be inflicted on our people, including most recently the horrific murders of Kathleen Henry and Veronica Abouchuk, two beautiful souls who were taken from us too soon and in a manner no individual should have to endure. Enough is enough. More work must be done to protect Indigenous women and girls. bbm
More at link:
More work must be done to protect Indigenous women and girls - The Delta Discovery, Inc.

The bizarre details surrounding Henry's death, a murder caught on camera, have drawn national attention but Webb says it is just another example of countless cases in which Native women have been targeted. bbm:

"There are cases that get a lot more attention than others, but none of these women are any more important than any other one of them," she said. "I really hope that her case brings more answers for some of the other people that are still missing."
Direct video:
Kathleen Henry's portrait is added to The Kuspuk Project (Embedded Video - 564643312)

View attachment 215496
Amber Webb works on her kuspuk, which currently features the faces of more than 100 missing and murdered indigenous women.

WATCH: Kathleen Henry's portrait is added to 'The Kuspuk Project.'

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-16_12-52-32.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-16_12-52-32.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 17
I'm part of several research projects that are led by and work with Indigenous elders and youth and there is awareness of this case among several groups, but there are so many cases, and so many new ones, that it's difficult for that awareness to be sustained beyond adding Kathleen and Veronica to the roll of missing and murdered Indigenous women and finding time to honour them also.

I've never understood the tendency to disregard and/or downplay crimes against our most vulnerable people. There are so many we don't help when help might have made a difference -- the very least we can do is help make sense of the harm done to them.

In Kathleen's case, of course, there was at least a quick resolution. But that image of this useless SOB kicking her and laughing is absolutely stomach-turning. That he felt like he could do this because of who they both were -- and that, most of the time, he'd be right.

I'm part of several research projects that are led by and work with Indigenous elders and youth and there is awareness of this case among several groups, but there are so many cases, and so many new ones, that it's difficult for that awareness to be sustained beyond adding Kathleen and Veronica to the roll of missing and murdered Indigenous women and finding time to honour them also.

I've never understood the tendency to disregard and/or downplay crimes against our most vulnerable people. There are so many we don't help when help might have made a difference -- the very least we can do is help make sense of the harm done to them.

In Kathleen's case, of course, there was at least a quick resolution. But that image of this useless SOB kicking her and laughing is absolutely stomach-turning. That he felt like he could do this because of who they both were -- and that, most of the time, he'd be right.
You are so right. I applaud your post! I wish I could help. Is there anything or anyone I can help research? Please let me know if I can contribute. Seriously. Research is my thing.

Last edited:

ETA: I for one sincerely appreciate your focus on diversity, @imstilla.grandma, and being a voice for those left behind in the quest for justice! XOXO
I can already tell...just the feeling I got when I clicked over there ~ it will break my heart. Thank you for the kind words. Really, this is nice to read.

I’m having a hard time reading about these stats in my home state. Just looking at this sign feels creepy.

Killers on wheels

In the early 2000s, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation noted a pattern in a string of women’s bodies that had been dumped along Interstate 40 in four states. This prompted the FBI to establish a Highway Serial Killings Initiative, which tracks known and unknown killers. The program initiative noted that suspects included predominantly long-haul truck drivers.

Today, the FBI has collected profiles of as many as 400 truckers who may still be active serial killers, Arntfield said.

Trucking, he explained, is an ideal profession for serial killers, as it gives drivers both mobility and anonymity.

Tower sign advertising a truck stop in Van Horn, Texas, 26 June 2008.
"It also provides a veneer of legitimacy to serial killers being on the highway or at truck stops in the middle of the night,” he said. “Truck stops are known hotbeds of the sex trade, and truckers with nefarious motives can exploit that.”

Native women are at particularly high risk of commercial sexual exploitation, according to a 2009 study by the Minnesota Indian Women’s Sexual Assault Coalition, which blamed historic trauma, poverty, alcohol or substance abuse, domestic violence and homelessness.

Native women and girls may be exploited into trafficking by force, fraud or coercion. Others may turn to prostitution as a means of economic survival.

Many Native women and girls, lacking cars or access to public transportation, are forced to rely on hitchhiking to get from place to place, making them easy prey for killers.
Data Suggest Serial Killers Active in Indian Country

Eta:
https://www.usccr.gov/pubs/2018/12-20-Broken-Promises.pdf

Last edited:
I’m having a hard time reading about these stats in my home state. Just looking at this sign feels creepy.

Killers on wheels

In the early 2000s, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation noted a pattern in a string of women’s bodies that had been dumped along Interstate 40 in four states. This prompted the FBI to establish a Highway Serial Killings Initiative, which tracks known and unknown killers. The program initiative noted that suspects included predominantly long-haul truck drivers.

Today, the FBI has collected profiles of as many as 400 truckers who may still be active serial killers, Arntfield said.

Trucking, he explained, is an ideal profession for serial killers, as it gives drivers both mobility and anonymity.

"It also provides a veneer of legitimacy to serial killers being on the highway or at truck stops in the middle of the night,” he said. “Truck stops are known hotbeds of the sex trade, and truckers with nefarious motives can exploit that.”

Native women are at particularly high risk of commercial sexual exploitation, according to a 2009 study by the Minnesota Indian Women’s Sexual Assault Coalition, which blamed historic trauma, poverty, alcohol or substance abuse, domestic violence and homelessness.

Native women and girls may be exploited into trafficking by force, fraud or coercion. Others may turn to prostitution as a means of economic survival.

Many Native women and girls, lacking cars or access to public transportation, are forced to rely on hitchhiking to get from place to place, making them easy prey for killers.

Eta:
Thx. I always thought truckers had the potential, but never heard it actually said.

Interesting that the media says he has no criminal background in SA. In one of his quora answers to someone asking about representing himself in a SA criminal case, BS answers:

"Get a laywer. I tried defending myself in a case that I was innocent of and I was found guilty because the other guy had an attorney. This is not something that you learn from Googling it."

June 5, 2019

Killers on wheels

Eta:

Oil & gas is another industry to watch as far potential perpetrators.

“Oil and gas operations, man camps, pipeline installation, fracking sites, all of these things — our women go missing around these sites,” says Gray. “And no one seems to care, but we do. Those are our sisters and our mothers and our grandmothers. We want their names out there.”

Why Indigenous Activists Are Hanging Dresses Along the 16th Street Mall

New Report Finds Increase of Violence Coincides with Oil Boom

Reclaiming power and place : final report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.: CP32-163/2-1-2019E-PDF ; CP32-163/2-2-2019E-PDF - Government of Canada Publications - Canada.ca

This industry tends to hire misogynistic men (think Chris Watts, for example) and bring them in from other states and overlook criminal records (so a lot like trucking there) because locals and folks with clean records and other employment options don't want any part of trashing the environment where they and their families live.

Interesting that the media says he has no criminal background in SA. In one of his quora answers to someone asking about representing himself in a SA criminal case, BS answers:

"Get a laywer. I tried defending myself in a case that I was innocent of and I was found guilty because the other guy had an attorney. This is not something that you learn from Googling it."

June 5, 2019

I'm going to zero back in and focus on this man already captured and responsible for killing two women. Don't want to get too scattered. Sadly,
there's a war on women everywhere.

Good find! Brian certainly came across as a man who thought he had all the answers. Sounds like a civil, business case before, but it makes one wondered what other trouble he got in. Ah, this time BSS has got himself in a whole lot of legal trouble.

For a man thinking he's so smart, he stupidly took video and pics of himself committing a horrible crime then somehow lost the labeled memory card!!! It seems doubtful an attorney will be able to help. What's an awful thought is he might not have even been caught if someone hadn't found that memory card. :eek:

Do you think there are other memory cards of other murders perhaps labeled? How do you figure he lost that memory card?

JMO and ETA the link to that June 4th post he made.
Brian Smith - Quora

Last edited:
I'm going to zero back in and focus on this man already captured and responsible for killing two women. Don't want to get too scattered. Sadly,
there's a war on women everywhere.

Good find! Brian certainly came across as a man who thought he had all the answers. Sounds like a civil, business case before, but it makes one wondered what other trouble he got in. Ah, this time BSS has got himself in a whole lot of legal trouble.

For a man thinking he's so smart, he stupidly took video and pics of himself committing a horrible crime then somehow lost the labeled memory card!!! It seems doubtful an attorney will be able to help. What's an awful thought is he might not have even been caught if someone hadn't found that memory card. :eek:

Do you think there are other memory cards of other murders perhaps labeled? How do you figure he lost that memory card?

JMO and ETA the link to that June 4th post he made.
Brian Smith - Quora
Such a unique case. Trying to put it all together in my mind. I'm sure the authorities know much more.
✓He is a less common immigrant w/British accent.
✓Had unusual comments on quora.
✓Older guy, but he was never married before/no kids.
✓His equipment got stolen. (I imagine the thief pulled out the card so there would be less evidence of a THEFT).
✓Someone found the card.
✓Two women found deceased so far. If not for card and confession, though, who knows?!
✓This case brings about aware of what's going on with the indigenous women in Alaska. I'm on the other side of US. Clueless.
✓He liked to go out in the wild. That doesn't sound good.
Though he dumped the two known bodies not far away, it certainly seems like he's contemplating (if not already) becoming a serial killer.
✓Of course his employment in the hotel industry. I think dna would be much harder to trace there.
Incomplete list. Crazee, sad case. Thank God he's caught.
Me, I imagine he did other crimes (or war crimes, etc.) which they have no evidence of.

Excellent list, Aydrianna523!

Anyone reading his comments on Quora will realize BSS wants to come across as smart and caring, but has some very odd racist views that he supports with historical tidbits. IMO, he's sometimes a big hypocrite. He can sound quite cold at times, but other times you'd think there is no way this man would rape or hurt a woman. He expressed such great deal of feeling and empathy in his answer about receiving his DNA Ancestry, Genealogy, and Ethnicity Report. IMO, I can't post the whole thing here, but it's worth looking it up.

Brian Smith - Quora

Feb 1, 2019 Quora of Brian Stephen Smith
What is the saddest event in your family tree?
"...Since I learned this I can not sleep at night. I can hear the screams and begging of my ancestors as they were being raped..."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back