CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #66

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense doesn't have to prove anything including who wrote the letters. The entire burden is on the prosecution. I'm looking forward to closing arguments.

JMO

That statement betrays a total lack of understanding of the process, with respect.

The state has the burden of proving he murdered Kelsey, beyond a reasonable doubt. They produced testimony and evidence that was admitted without objection or cross examination. It was authenticated. That is their burden. Once they met that burden it is the defense’s job to refute that authentication if they can.

There will be no jury instructions saying that question of the letter’s authorship is up for grabs. Credibility of the informant is a different matter but as authenticity wasn’t challenged that will be largely irrelevant.

Wright given to these letters as to how much they show consciousness of guilt will likely be part of the instructions but it is absurd to think that an innocent man would try to get all the witnesses against him to be killed.

To look forward at this stage to the defense’s closing arguments as if those will be meaningful for the defendant can only be possible IMO if one hasn’t truly followed this case.

The defense literally put on no case. Nothing at all. And using logic, they would’ve had to to cast reasonable doubt based on the theory they proposed in their opening.

PF has learned a great deal since he killed KB, smugly believing that 'no body' there was 'no crime'.

When he's instructing his jail pal on the murdering KK, he stipulates : 'No video, no weapon, no body, no forensics'.

Looks like dimwit has realized it's not enough to 'disappear' the body and weapon - he left videos and forensics.
Do you think there may be video lurking around some where? A really sick thought, but wondering why he mentioned videos?

If I were the defense, I would truly be having a terrible time even thinking about how to frame all of this..... His paper towels have added a complexity that I would not wish on any attorney at the last hour. An attorney's worst nightmare....your client's own statements destroying the case during the 4th quarter.
Absolutely agree. No Hail Mary Pass possible here for the Defense Attys. Agree that the PF paper towel notes with the '12 Person Hit List' simply sent the defense options down the drain with a very loud FLUSH.

I do wonder if the only option available to the defense would be discussion of KK character?

Its a tough call because the Prosecution so brilliantly corroborated the KK testimony via other credible witnesses and evidence IMO that really no matter what you think of KK that when you consider her statements, that they are supported by other testimony or actual physical evidence which I believe that most 'reasonable' folks would be comfortable with here.

Last edited:
If I were the defense, I would truly be having a terrible time even thinking about how to frame all of this..... His paper towels have added a complexity that I would not wish on any attorney at the last hour. An attorney's worst nightmare....your client's own statements destroying the case during the 4th quarter.
I know- isn’t it beautiful?
JMO

I wouldn’t be worried except there are Frazee’s on the outside and I’m thinking of the Rhoden case.

Custody of a child makes people insane. So does losing.
I agree, @gitana1 . This really worries me. Especially since it appears from the letters he wrote to Doe in prison alluded to the fact that MaF was aware, at the very least, of this hit list. I gleaned that he was confident that Doe was going to do what he wanted with those people on his list (yeah, let's kidnap all the witnesses and lock them all in a small room!), and he was letting his mother know it was all set in code.

We see on here all of the time, parents, ex boyfriends/girlfriends, etc kidnapping children, and sadly, some of them end up deceased. I wouldn't put it past Patrick to have some characters on the outside that just might eventually do what he asks, for the right price. Some of these criminals are desperate for cash and don't care- any way to money for their fix.

It’s easy to see that Artis is suggesting other murders. This guy is a monster and I agree with Artis. This is deadly serious.

Sometimes we need a little humor to soften the deadly serious stuff we read here and
I expect that even Kelsey's family has found some humor in Patrick's antics.

No question that he is a monster but his ineptitude at hiding these crimes makes me less likely to think he's a serial killer....or even a cereal killer. (Sorry!)

If those mystery teeth have any meaning I have no doubt that fine LE team will ferret it out.

The good news is that Patrick will most likely be in jail for life where he might write more Paper Towel Tales on napkins to answer Artis' and your questions.

I can completely picture PF replying 'don't bother' if they told him they would mount an investigation and strong opposition if he didn't write them.
JMO

This brings up an interesting thought. PF, sitting in jail, described every witness he wanted to be rid of (he knew who they all were,) and described where they presently lived; he knew the area well. In testimony, Slater confirmed the descriptions of each person and their places of residences were all accurate.

(While there is no mention of this, it is possible that there was a recorded call from SF to PF in jail giving him some help, arranging this list and what to do. Maybe we'll find that out later.)

Perhaps the reason the defense didn't make a bigger deal out of this list was: If they had done so, it would have caused PF to have to admit to solicitation to murder all of these additional people - LOTS more charges would be opened up. (Note: He has already been charged with solicitation for first-degree murder of KB.) Instead, the defense choose to skip over all of that.

It was easier, since he knew he'd written the letters/notes, to not make a bigger deal out of it. I'm sure there are legal ramifications here that come into play, and we may hear more about them in the future.

Last edited:
Not sure what PF memory and knowledge of his personal contact list while in jail has to do with the 17 letters exactly but it was clear looking through the letters that PF did not have perfect information on all of the people on the 'hit list'.

The letters so far as I can tell don't have GPS pin point accuracy on how to find each of the named individuals on the PF 'Hit List'. PF instead named names, gave physical descriptions, said who was hanging out with whom and where and other details on how to find the folks on the "Hit List". In short, the information PF gave in the notes was probably good enough for a reasonably intelligent 'hitman' to find all the people on the list IMO.

PF had enough information on Michelle Stein for example to share where she lived in terms of town and how she could be found.

Unless his 'hitman' was totally inept (totally possible IMO here with PF) then it would most likely be not too hard to track down Michelle Stein and KK or any other of the players on the PF "Hit List" IMO.

And, as the 'hitman' wasn't doing charity work for PF, PF seems somewhat clear that the 'hitman' was to contact SF for possible payment or further details although this was left a bit more vague IMO.

I do hope LE will investigate this aspect of the letters as the idea of people outside the jail sanctioning and paying for action on a 12 person 'hit list' prepared by PF is concerning given the fate met by KB in this tragic case.
I’m very worried about this hit list by PF- I really hope to see an arrest after the verdict Monday - more than one actually as I think this is a conspiracy IMO

The man who dropped the first bomb of the day, was Jonathyn Priest, a man with quite the resume.

I said months ago that Tom Bevel himself, couldn’t save the defense.

Ironically, this guy works for Bevel’s firm. Great call by the prosecution.

Experts of Bloodstain Pattern Analysis and Crime Scene Reconstruction — Bevel, Gardner & Associates

Viewers might remember Denver Homicide Detective Jon Priest from the TV show, I Detective. The show was originally shown on Court TV and can now be seen on the Justice Network. He has a excellent reputation.

@riolove77

Happy to see you today!!!!

Question, Could/would the person that posted bail for the jail house witness be charged ? Someone put up the money for bail, in good faith to solidify the deal.

If so, what would the charges be?

If the person put up the money knowing it was payment for what they thought would be hits taken out on others, I would personally file conspiracy to commit murder charges. You need at least two people plus one affirmative action, and that suffices.

Call me crazy but I think any defense team would be beating the bushes for proof of innocence whether they had a burden to do so or not.

An innocent man would have been screaming from his chair, "I didn't write those letters! Get me a handwriting expert!" Paramedics would have to carry him out in a strait jacket.
Absolutely, we also didn't hear the normal PF conspiracy theories about the notes either which I found quite interesting. No calls about 'being framed' or 'they are out to get me'. Nope, none of this. PF was SILENT.

But it was the press accounts of PF sitting glum and white faced as each and every one of the notes was read in their entirety that absolutely convinced me that he was well and truly sunk and down for the count.

Do you think there may be video lurking around some where? A really sick thought, but wondering why he mentioned videos?

I think he's referring to all the footage of him on various camera systems: the condo, bank, gas station, etc. He obviously never gave it a second thought. He's making sure the hitman he thinks he is hiring won't be as stupid as he was.

I think we can be sure of this: that the closing arguments of the defense will be different from what they would have been two weeks ago now that all the evidence has been presented, including the Paper Towel Tales.

No one would still be trying to defend long-discounted theories of the case once they were outed by facts.

“Paper Towel Tales” ....... love it! :D

And you think PF, sitting in jail, has memorized the addresses of people like Michelle Stein? I certainly don't believe that at all.

JMO
Remember that Patrick had a good bit of time to ponder all this before he went to jail.

Once he got there he was allowed phone calls which I imagine gave him access to info from Ma F. (LE may have had an "Aha" moment when they matched up taped phone calls to info on the paper towels.)

Most jails also have plenty of cell phones in the "supply chain" so a little surreptitious research wouldn't be impossible.

A criminal genius like Patrick Frazee wouldn't let a lack of addresses get in the way of his success!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What would really be interesting is if the teeth found at the frazee’s end up being found to have no Frazee dna on them. Like other posters have said I’m not sure this is PF’s first murder (& his disregard for any life makes it plausible).
I think it's very possible he could have murdered others, especially hookers or other young women he could catfish. If that's true then KB may have been one of the few to live so long after meeting him. The others would have been girls who might have reasons to disappear. We've seen this a lot. But KB had family, a normal job where she would have been missed then she got pregnant and expected him to honor his promises. PF kept his relationship with KB mostly on the DL, which I'm sure so he could pursue other women, and he used KB2 as bait IMO. I have doubts, too, though. He was so stupid for one thing, talking about killing Kelsey, trying to get KK to do it. And, somewhere I read that he said to KK something like, "next time I'll stick with normal weapons." Of course, I don't know if he really said that or if it was KK gilding the lily. MOO.

“Ignore everything the prosecution has presented, and vote with your heart, not your head. This won’t be popular with the public, but I ask that you do what is best for my client. He’s got animals to abuse, and those cattle aren’t going to beat themselves. Please do what any good gangster would do, and set my client free. I have one question for you: How gangster will you be?”
I just can’t imagine their closing ? They don’t have much to work with IMO - how can they spend 30-60 minutes talking about his innocence? Seems an impossible task JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77