Tools to hone your sleuthing skills

What is your favorite True Crime show/movie/series of all time?

• Total voters

RedBeard

Villains beware.
Reaction score
I thought this thread could be a cool place to share methods of observation, tech skills and maybe even have challenges or exercises. Feel free to share and add to the conversation.

Scientific observation. My signature is from as some of you guessed from Silence of the Lambs. A movie from the early 90's: "First principles, Clarice. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?" Now you might ask why would I have such a macabre quote and others can clearly see the importance of the message. Marcus Aurelius was a renowned stoic philosopher and one of my personal influences in daily life.

His quote on observation comes from his most famous work Meditations. A personal diary of his philosophy and observations of the world around him. "“The Emperor counsels simplicity: First principles Of each particular thing, ask: What is it in itself, in its own constitution? What is its causal nature?".
If you are observing Silver-back Gorillas for instance. You go into not knowing anything about the specimens, you look for the unique things within each specimen that define them and name them, you observe who is the head Gorillas and who are lower in the ladder. But you only observe what is there, what is evident. Science doesn't mean true or false it simply is what is evident.

There are gray areas in science just like every other aspect of existence. For example, the Autosomal DNA analysis that tells you what your ethnic composition is might have a flawed algorithm in calculating that, but it holds some certainties such as markers that can catch killers.
It's is irresponsible to put anything forth as true without certainty, but of great value to hypothesize about the true nature of something.

Last edited:
I thought this thread could be a cool place to share methods of observation, tech skills and maybe even have challenges or exercises. Feel free to share and add to the conversation.

Scientific observation. My signature is from as some of you guessed from Silence of the Lambs. A movie from the early 90's: "First principles, Clarice. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?" Now you might ask why would I have such a macabre quote and others can clearly see the importance of the message. Marcus Aurelius was a renowned stoic philosopher and one of my personal influences in daily life.

His quote on observation comes from his most famous work Meditations. A personal diary of his philosophy and observations of the world around him. "“The Emperor counsels simplicity: First principles Of each particular thing, ask: What is it in itself, in its own constitution? What is its causal nature?".
If you are observing Silver-back Gorillas for instance. You go into not knowing anything about the specimens, you look for the unique things within each specimen that define them and name them, you observe who is the head Gorillas and who are lower in the ladder. But you only observe what is there, what is evident. Science doesn't mean true or false it simply is what is evident.

There are gray areas in science just like every other aspect of existence. For example, the Autosomal DNA analysis that tells you what your ethnic composition is might have a flawed algorithm in calculating that, but it holds some certainties such as markers that can catch killers.
It's is irresponsible to put anything forth as true without certainty, but of great value to hypothesize about the true nature of something.
Impressive. Hmmm...

At an upcoming CrimeCon event in October, armchair detectives will have a chance to put their sleuthing skills to the test — and perhaps help bring justice to the victims of unsolved crimes.

CrowdSolve, beginning on October 17 in Seattle, is the first of its kind interactive event that will allow true crime fans to work directly with investigators and forensic experts, putting them right in the center of the action.

“CrowdSolve is our attempt to develop a true crime experience that is active and immersive while also being responsible,” says CrimeCon executive producer Kevin Balfe.

“Attendees will first deep-dive into topics relevant to our cases (like victimology, DNA, profiling, deception detection, and crime scene reconstruction) to get educated, and then they’ll all break up into working group rotations to apply that knowledge to the case files.”
upload_2019-9-15_11-48-53.jpeg
Can true crime fans finally crack these cold case mysteries? Investigators team up with CrowdSolve attendees to find new leads in Karen Bodine murder and missing Nancy Moyer case

Last edited:
Character traits of a successful sleuth
Certainly, a few basic personality traits suitable for detective work are ingrained in some people at birth: perceptiveness and attention to detail, an affinity for puzzles, an innate sense of direction, advanced problem-solving skills and relentless persistence, to name a few.

Research suggests that people who fall into the ESTJ – extroverted, sensing, thinking and judging – personality type on the Myers-Briggs scale may be well suited for police or detective work. Presumably, this has to do with the tendency for ESTJs to have a strong moral compass/sense of right and wrong, an acute awareness of their surroundings and a strong work ethic. Not to mention that extroverts likely have an easier time grilling sources for information in an interview setting than do their more introverted counterparts.
The art of sleuthing: Can detective skills be taught? (TBS Search Party)

I always loved the program Unsolved Mysteries and some of the most interesting unsolved crime cases were featured on it. The episodes are old now but they still contain good information about the case as do the Websites and Message Boards about the program that are around today. Here is a Podcast with an interview with someone who worked on the show:

I always loved the program Unsolved Mysteries and some of the most interesting unsolved crime cases were featured on it. The episodes are old now but they still contain good information about the case as do the Websites and Message Boards about the program that are around today. Here is a Podcast with an interview with someone who worked on the show:

Here is a list of mystery blogs. I post it here because with a program like Unsolved Mysteries you can find out a lot about some crimes:

https://blog.feedspot.com/mystery_blogs/

Its actually kind of neat. And neverending as each will lead you to another similar to year. The more you visit the deeper you'll get.
I've found many cases that I previously had not yet seen. That was a little surprising to me as I have basically at one time or another probably at very least glanced at the majority. Its not a half bad resource Especially for the ability to save easily or share.

Lengthy article.
Nov 12 2019
My Weekend as an Amateur Cold Case Detective | The Crime Report
"Can a “crowd” help crack a real-life murder mystery?

Last month, I joined 300 attendees at the Grand Ballroom of the Seattle Westin Hotel for an inaugural effort to test whether a group of untrained amateur investigators could help professionals sift through clues from cold cases that have gone unsolved for years, sometimes decades."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back