UK - 39 bodies found in lorry container, Essex, 23 Oct 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Not every migrant in a trailer is there as a result of traffickers or with the complicity of the drivers . Look at a BBC short feature on YouTube “I’m a Trucker not an Immigration Officer” where drivers (Irish as it happens) talk about migrants getting into their trucks, including fridge trailers, and them being expected to deal with it. There is also press coverage from 2015/16 of drivers using pork to try and deter refugees getting into their trailers ( sad and desperate all round).

The drivers can get fined £2k per person for people they have tried to deter.

The camps around Calais where the BBC film is shot have been dispersed but those migrants are still making their way to other ports, allegedly with less surveillance.

This matches the material I read in truckers forums. Where the drivers get arrested ‘on suspicion ‘ or taken in for questioning when they had no knowledge.

Obviously there ARE haulage networks connected to smuggling and trafficking but there are also innocent drivers.

Not every migrant in a trailer is there as a result of traffickers or with the complicity of the drivers . .

Well said.

It should also not need to be pointed out that not everyone discovered in the back of a truck is an innocent being trafficked. Some are individuals who are attempting to enter the country illegally by circumventing the legal processes.

Are these countries sending them back to where they came from?[/QUOTE

What a good question.

In this particular case, the reports suggest that the bodies are being returned to Vietnam, although there seems to be some debate as to who is paying and what form the return actually takes.

There were reports attributed to Pham Tra My's brother which suggested she had been caught earlier whilst attempting entry.

"She flew to China and stayed there for a couple days, then left for France," he said.

"She called us when she reached each destination. The first attempt she made to cross the border to the UK was 19 October, but she got caught and turned back. I don't know for sure from which port."

Vietnamese families fear relatives among 39 dead

In the case of those discovered in the lorry coming from Holland yesterday.. The boat was returned to port in Holland.

25 verstekelingen levend aangetroffen in koelcontainer op veerboot Vlaardingen

Presumably because it was still in Dutch waters?

What happens to them after that is a little unclear (to me).

In the case of those found in the back of the lorry in Chippenham, they were made the responsibility of the UK Home Office, and I presume detained for entering the country illegally, whilst their claim for asylum is considered.

I am unclear what happens to those whose claims are rejected..

Are they returned to their "home country" or just to the country they last left?

Is there a debate about the funding of this transport?

21 November 2019

Extradition hearing for lorry driver Eamonn Harrison begins

The court heard Mr Harrison is sought in respect of 41 offences, 39 counts of manslaughter which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, one count of a human trafficking offence and one count of assisting unlawful immigration.

The court also heard Mr Harrison drove the lorry used to deliver a container to the port in Zeebrugge and was identified as the driver on CCTV in Belgium.

Mr Harrison signed the shipping notice for the container, which was later found in Essex with the bodies of 39 people inside, Dublin Central Criminal Court heard.

More:

Defence for Mr Harrison Siobhan Stack SC has raised a number of issues with the warrant for extradition.

"The fundamental defect is limited information," she told the court.

She says that where and when exactly Mr Harrison committed his alleged offences is not listed or detailed in the warrant, or the degree in which Mr Harrison was involved.

The warrant also states Mr Harrison is a British citizen, but Mr Harrison was travelling on an Irish passport and says he is an Irish citizen.

She told the court the warrant has been "rushed".

"Defence for Mr Harrison Siobhan Stack SC has raised a number of issues with the warrant for extradition....
She told the court the warrant has been "rushed". "

Well, god forbid that the police should be able to question him before anyone he might mention had had time to hide the evidence, hide themselves.....

"Defence for Mr Harrison Siobhan Stack SC has raised a number of issues with the warrant for extradition....
She told the court the warrant has been "rushed". "

Well, god forbid that the police should be able to question him before anyone he might mention had had time to hide the evidence, hide themselves.....

Or get himself killed.

Eamonn Harrison, a lorry driver wanted in connection to the deaths of 39 people in Essex has appeared in court again. Defence argues warrant was "rushed", and could not be acted on it's current form, number of issues including Mr Harrison's nationality are missing or incorrect.

aoife-grace moore. on Twitter

Justice Binchy, scheduling next hearing for December 12 said: "Brexit looms large over all of this, not in this application alone, I'm doing my utmost to have all requests from the UK disposed of before the end of this term, so I'm trying to achieve it in this case also."

aoife-grace moore. on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members