CA - Melvin Just, POI in Humboldt Homicide

EastHumboldt

Reaction score
Profiled in the documentary Just Melvin, Just Evil

'JUST MELVIN': Just,the family next door

Subject Melvin Just is alleged to have raped and murdered Josephine Spegel, a social worker, around March 11, 1969 while his family lived in Carlotta, California (In Southern Humboldt). While sensational, it is unfounded and no charges were brought against Just. Miss Spegel's case remains unsolved and long forgotten.

I've created the following timeline for Just;

Born in Bremerton, Washington 1929, Died in Seabeck, Washington 1999. Just enlisted in 1946 serving in the Korean War. He married in 1957 back home in Washington. Records from 1960 - 1970 place Just and his wife living in San Jose, where he worked as a mechanic, with the exception of years 1962 and 1969.

In 1972 he was granted a divorce in Humboldt County, there is a large gap of information until he is convicted in 1978 of 12 counts of molestation against various family members through the Humboldt County Court. He then served 8 years in San Luis Obispo.

I estimate that he would have been active in the Humboldt County area, with ties to San Jose via Highway 101, between the years 1969 - 1978. Based on the Spegel evidence his preferred method of operation (MO) is to strangle and rape his victim. In the documentary his daughter alleges he coerced her in a wooded area, Spegel was found partially buried off a forest road.

From 1975 - 1976 there were a number of women found in the Humboldt area fitting the described MO.

Janet Lee Bowman Sept 30, 1975
Karen Frances Fisher Jan 18, 1976
Sherry Lynn Smith May 2, 1976 (Likely John Annibel)
Vicki Lynn Schneider Jul 2 1976 (Attributed to Henry Lee Lucas)

In a news article regarding one of the women the Sheriff stated that his office had received 35 reports of rape in the year of 1976.

It may be that multiple suspects were active during this time period but, as far as, Annibel he should be credited for the women known to him, in these cases Sherry Smith stands out. It's been speculated that Henry Lee Lucas gave evidence provided to him in an attempt to form a plea bargain.

On the subject of John Annibel, if he were as prolific a rapist and murderer, why were there no victims attributed to him for over 19 years (post LaDeRoute?) It is reasonable that he was publicly linked to Smith and LaDeRoute and wanted no further attention. But is it possible that 3 out of 4 victims mentioned weren't tied to him to begin with?

I suspect Melvin Just because post 1976 (sans LaDeRoute) the killing spree sharply declined. In 1977 Just would be locked in a custody dispute that would end in his incarceration. With no family to return to he would leave the State altogether and return to Washington to live out the remainder of his life.

It seems that Josephine Spegel will remain a cold case but the question I would pose is if those rape reports for the 31 others still exist, are there suspect descriptions? The Spegel investigation mentions a vehicle. Maybe that's a start.

Thanks for bringing our attention to Melvin. I wonder if his DNA was collected. So many women disappeared from Humboldt (and Sonoma County) in the later part of the last century. It is time that some of POIs rise to the surface.

Interesting post, EastHumboldt. Some of the victims you mentioned are being considered as a series of homicides called The Humboldt Five:

I have never before seen a claim that Lucas operated up here in the ET. I would like to see evidence of that.

Just realized upon re-reading that the above last sentence may seem insulting. Such is not the intent.

Poor Josephine Spegel. I couldn't find enough on her to begin her thread. How pitiful, to have faded so far from memory.

Poor Josephine Spegel. I couldn't find enough on her to begin her thread. How pitiful, to have faded so far from memory.

I've uploaded a collection of press clippings on Josephine Spegel I've re-typed since the originals are in poor quality for scanning. Sheriff Cox is the same Sheriff who suggested women stop hitchhiking when asked what his unit was doing about the large number of rapes happening in Humboldt County.

Attachments

• Josephine Spegel Press.pdf
    124.7 KB · Views: 15
I found Melvin about five years ago. He liked little girls the most. He molested and raped all of his daughters and stepdaughters and his only son. His youngest victim was two years old. One victim was handicapped.

Warning graphic in language and sexual content.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back