TX TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

Jay R. Jordan | August 21, 2019

This is the most recent msm link I’m finding, is this correct?

What about also emailing the KHOU News Director since Shern-Min is KHOU and perhaps also other news directors of all the other Houston channels to see if they may be interested in doing a story? At least help them get prepped for a 30 Year Anniversary Story?

KHOU

Meet the KHOU Team | Houston, TX | KHOU.com

Sally Ramirez - Executive News Director - KHOU-TV.
Employer: WGN-TV

KHOU 11 News Houston (@KHOU) on Twitter

FB: KHOU 11 News

—-

KTRK ABC13

abc13 News -- KTRK Houston and Southeast Texas News

They are looking for a news director it seems:
News Director

ABC13 Houston (@abc13houston) on Twitter

FB: ABC13 Houston

—-

KRIV FOX26

Contact KRIV FOX 26 & My20 Vision

FOX26Houston (@FOX26Houston) on Twitter

FB: FOX 26 Houston

—-

KPRC 2

Contact Us | KPRC Channel 2 Contact Information | Click2Houston

Get 2 Know The KPRC 2 Team

Dave Strickland Joins KPRC as News Director.Jul 19, 2016

KPRC 2 Houston (@KPRC2) on Twitter

FB: KPRC2 / Click2Houston

Last edited:
So frustrating! This may be a dumb question, but how do we, the public, push? Do we contact our senators or congressmen? The police/detective directly? I know many of us here would be happy to help.

How were y’all able to get the age enhanced sketch done, @mocity?

When they did the sketch based on the rape victims memory of her attacker they also did the age progressed version.

The only way I know to push is to call the detective. The FBI is involved so I am not entirely sure who is "in charge". We were told the DNA sample was going to Parabon but it did not. They told us another "lab" is working the case.

ATG1220.
Thank you for posting the link to the podcast.
I can understand Garland and any other family members frustration.
Lynda asks what can anyone do to move this along?
This.
Please pass this on to Garland.
Mocity, and any other family member is a victim in this case in regards to sexual assault.
And victims have rights in the state of Tx.
This is the statute.
Scroll down and read article 56.021.
Please pay close attention to section 2 and 3 Subsection a,b, and c.
I'll suggest any requests be made in writing, so there's a record.
Where as Cheryl was sexually assaulted, It may be Mocitys family that has to submit this request.

Snipped:
(2) if requested, the right to a disclosure of information regarding the status of any analysis being performed of any evidence that was collected during the investigation of the offense;

(3) if requested, the right to be notified:

(A) at the time a request is submitted to a crime laboratory to process and analyze any evidence that was collected during the investigation of the offense;

(B) at the time of the submission of a request to compare any biological evidence collected during the investigation of the offense with DNA profiles maintained in a state or federal DNA database; and

(C) of the results of the comparison described by Paragraph (B), unless disclosing the results would interfere with the investigation or prosecution of the offense, in which event the victim, guardian, or relative shall be informed of the estimated date on which those results are expected to be disclosed;

CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CHAPTER 56. RIGHTS OF CRIME VICTIMS
This is post #656
IMO, this is the place to start as far as getting the ball rolling.
Mocity's family will have to start with this part.
This should be done in writing, so it is documented. All responses should be received in writing as well.

If the HPD fails to act on this, they are in violation of the law. Then it's time to contact the Tx. AG. Here.
Contact Us | Office of the Attorney General
Ken Paxton is an elected official, which means he's also a politician.
Politicians do not like bad publicity. If he fails to act, then the news media is the next step.

I think calling is a good idea to help some, but, I doubt it will make much of a difference. Here's why...
First, nothing is documented.
Next, there are things that the detectives are just not going to discuss with the public. Even less than what they have discussed with the family. There are things that may be available through FOIA, but very little and what one may get as far as information goes would be redacted heavily.

Here's another avenue.
http://www.coldcasecrimes.org/index.html

When they did the sketch based on the rape victims memory of her attacker they also did the age progressed version.

The only way I know to push is to call the detective. The FBI is involved so I am not entirely sure who is "in charge". We were told the DNA sample was going to Parabon but it did not. They told us another "lab" is working the case.
Mocity....
You have the right to not only be notified when any DNA is submitted, but you also have the right to be notified when any results are returned. More importantly, you have the right to know when they plan on submitting any, if they haven't.
You have to make the request in writing and specify that's what you want.
It's all posted above.
I'd be more than happy to help you anyway that I can, but this part you, or a family member has to do.
Even Garland doesn't have the same rights as you do, because Cheryl was sexually assaulted, so, it's you and your family members.

Wondering if this reporter, Peter Elkind, is still writing for Texas Monthly, making a note:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/nurse-genene-jones-really-kill-babies/

Seems he’s written many articles about this case / compilation of his articles:

TX - TX - Genene Jones, Serial Baby Killer, Scheduled For Early Release
PE does not seem to write for that publication anymore, imo.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/prosecutors-race-keep-angel-death-behind-bars/
May 25 2017
"Peter Elkind is a former Texas Monthly staff writer and author of The Death Shift."

@mocity Hey man, new to the forums. Im assuming MoCity is "missouri city"? That's my hometown. Went to Elkins.

I've tried to catchup on the info but you mentioned Cheryl's sketchy group of friends in the past and they creeped you out.
In what way did they creep you out? Just sleezy or dangerous? Sexual in nature?
I know they've been cleared through DNA but just wondering if perhaps through them, Cheryl met some sketchy people?
Were they into occult/satanic/esoteric imagery/ideas/beliefs?

Woah @mocity have you listened to this podcast? Idk if you're in contact with Andy's family but this is his father, pretty interesting tidbits.

HPD being sketchy about sending DNA.
FBI swoops in and takes DNA when Garland tries to have it privately tested?
HPD giving him the run around

Hi - Yes we are in touch with Andy's family and aware of the DNA run around. Cheryl's family is in the same meetings. It's all very frustrating but hoping something will change soon.

Dear @mocity ,

My early Christmas present to you :) :

TX - Cheryl Henry & Andy Atkinson, Houston, 21 Aug 1990, MEDIA/MAPS/TIMELINES *NO DISCUSSION *

This is a work in progress. If there are any articles or anything else that is incorrect information and needs to be removed, please let me know and I’ll reach out to a mod, or you can alert on the post. I’m noticing as I go that there may need to be some corrections. I’m pulling all the MSM, etc. that I can find online, as well as bringing forward other members’ reference posts from in here. I’m trying to do this in chronological order - so far I’ve covered up to page 11 out of the 40 pages in this thread.

I’ve also noted the dates and authors of the articles wherever I could with hopes of reaching out to the original reporters for a follow up story request for the 20 year anniversary...I figure I’ll make the reporters’ jobs easier and pull all the reference for them. :)

Also, thank you to all the members for your contributions that I’ve brought over to the media thread.

Please of course feel free @mocity and everyone else to add what you can if you’d like. I’m hoping to get through all the posts in here as soon as I can and have the media thread all up to date. It will be good to have all reference in one place going forward, especially since we are going back almost twenty years, sadly.

Please continue to keep us updated here, mocity.

Hugs,
Margarita

Last edited:
Mocity, Sorry I meant 30 years above, not 20. Sorry, I’ve been up all night working on the thread, eyes and brain are fried, too late to edit my post.

Dear @mocity ,

My early Christmas present to you :) :

TX - Cheryl Henry & Andy Atkinson, Houston, 21 Aug 1990, MEDIA/MAPS/TIMELINES *NO DISCUSSION *

This is a work in progress. If there are any articles or anything else that is incorrect information and needs to be removed, please let me know and I’ll reach out to a mod, or you can alert on the post. I’m noticing as I go that there may need to be some corrections. I’m pulling all the MSM, etc. that I can find online, as well as bringing forward other members’ reference posts from in here. I’m trying to do this in chronological order - so far I’ve covered up to page 11 out of the 40 pages in this thread.

I’ve also noted the dates and authors of the articles wherever I could with hopes of reaching out to the original reporters for a follow up story request for the 20 year anniversary...I figure I’ll make the reporters’ jobs easier and pull all the reference for them. :)

Also, thank you to all the members for your contributions that I’ve brought over to the media thread.

Please of course feel free @mocity and everyone else to add what you can if you’d like. I’m hoping to get through all the posts in here as soon as I can and have the media thread all up to date. It will be good to have all reference in one place going forward, especially since we are going back almost twenty years, sadly.

Please continue to keep us updated here, mocity.

Hugs,
Margarita

Mocity, Sorry I meant 30 years above, not 20. Sorry, I’ve been up all night working on the thread, eyes and brain are fried, too late to edit my post.

The time flies by in these terrible crime cases as well as life in general. Better to get it wrong that way as you always stay ten years younger:) Good luck with trying to solve the case in my mind I have a pretty good suspect but there may be others.

WOW Margarita25! What an amazing thing for you to do. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you doing that plus your interest in Cheryl's case. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

WOW Margarita25! What an amazing thing for you to do. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you doing that plus your interest in Cheryl's case. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My pleasure, mocity. Happy to help however I can.

This is my first post to WS.

My name is Mick Stewart and I went to school with Cheryl Henry ( Clements High School, Sugar Land, Texas ), 1983-85. Like other Clements students who knew Cheryl, a wonderful cherub, sweet-hearted we were absolutely shocked to first hear then read about the double murder. I was working part-time law enforcement in Fort Bend County and remember the area quite well ( we all did ) as it was a seminal right-of-passage for high school and college students to drive out there and park. My heart goes out to the family. As Clements alum we still talk about her overtime we meet. She is not forgotten.

Wonderful post about Cheryl.

Last edited:
Just read this whole thread and am very invested in this. I compile a spreadsheet of all incidents in the United States and found 2 within the same timeframe that might be worth looking at.

TX - TX - Jane McDonald-Crone, 34, possibly kidnapped, Houston, 14 Nov 1993

Cases from 1970-1979

Both have a few similarities to this case.

Thank you for taking an interest in this case. With respect to Jane McDonald-Crone what similarities are you seeing to Cheryl's case? The nightclub connection? Cheryl and Andy were at a club we frequented at the time but had then gone to a park where we use to all hang out after hours sometimes. On the second link, which case are you referring to? Looks like a group of women in one thread. Thanks!

Coincidentally, I just came across Jane’s case while posting the below article in the media thread which mentioned Cheryl and Andy:

If you can solve one of these terrifying Texas mysteries, you'll get $3,000

I’ve updated Jane’s thread with latest Doe Network and Charley Project information if you want to take a look, @mocity:

TX - TX - Jane McDonald-Crone, 34, possibly kidnapped, Houston, 14 Nov 1993

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I tend to not give the "lovers lane" much credence. After Cheryl was killed we spoke with the detectives. I told them it was a place we would go to "hang out". It was basically a gathering place for people to listen to music, drink, etc. Somehow that evolved into a place where young adults "park".

I think the clarification about this being a hangout is important, mocity, for a few reasons. This is something I’d like to see touched on in future msm. Once I pull everything together in the media thread, perhaps we can work on what we would like to see in print as new going forward. I’ve started a list of notes on the side.

Rsbm We also asked about Parabon. Get this, we were told that they will only do that when all leads are exhausted. What? Its been 27 years. I highly doubt they have any hot leads.

Wow.

mocity..
After reviewing unsolved cases in Houston, I happened to notice a woman that disappeared in Aug of 1992. Her name is Tara Breckenridge. She was a waitress at The Mens Club. After checking Google Maps, The Mens club is not far from Gigis, where the rape victim worked a few months before your sister was killed.
Although I would think that detectives tried to include/exclude this case as being connected to your sister by now, do you know if they processed her red Pontiac Fiero for DNA and/or fingerprints?
Here's the link.
Cold Cases - Featured Cases

Hi Rocky - Yes, they have looked into this to see if they are related. They haven't established any link that they have told us about. A friend of mine pointed out there was a note left in Tara's case (I can't remember the circumstances right now) and my friend thinks the handwriting is similar to the note in Cheryl's case that was sent to HPD. Thanks for pointing it out. I am going to look it over again especially now that we have a detective that is communicating with our family.

Looking at Tara’s thread now.

The Drive Home that Went Mysteriously Wrong

I wonder if LE has compared the handwriting of the letters that Tara received to the note sent to LE in Cheryl’s and Andy’s case?

Also, it seems her boyfriend was a POI in her case. Someone mentioned his similarity to the sketch. Was his DNA ever tested? I need to reread the above article.

TX - TX - Tara Suzette Breckenridge, 23, Houston, 4 August 1992

ETA: Just seeing this, @mocity. Sorry I’m behind in here. Taking a look now:

Posting a picture of the note that was sent to HPD related to Cheryl and Andy's case and a picture of the note in the Tara Breckenridge case. A friend of mine pointed it out and thought they appear similar. Thoughts?

attachment.php

cherylnote-jpg.130122

—-

I just read up on her case, and I would like to know the time of day/night she got that flat tire.
This is why:
All 3 of these cases Cheryl, Tara, and the rape victim happened after the clubs closed.
I see other similarities that I will post, but I'd like to finish reading this entire thread before I comment.

I also wonder if Tara’s and Stephanie's cases are connected here. And Jane’s.

Thank you:
I read a comment here where someone thought that because there was blood in the car, and someone mentioned a bloody Golf Club, that they were thinking the attacker may have used this before they were led into the woods.
I was asking because over time the facts/stories can change.
For example. After watching the links you posted, there is no mention of the clubs having blood on them.
In your second link, it is said that Houston PD found her car instead of a security guard. I know you have posted many times it was a security guard.
I am thinking along the lines that they both were in the car with the seats reclined, and were attacked by surprise.
I would think that if they did decide to get out of the car to hit golf balls, that they would have uprighted the seats when they sat up, before they got out of the car. I am not sure if the windows were down, but unless they were listening to the radio from outside while hitting golf balls, they would have not left the key on "ACC"
I think the attacker returned to the car after he killed them in an attempt to rob any valuables, and that's where the blood came from. He must have had a lot of blood on him.
I know her purse was found in the car, but not sure if he looked inside for money or not. That's when he took the club out. and pointed it in Cheryls direction.
I am only basing the robbery thought on the previous rape victim, who was also robbed. I don't think he bothered checking Andys pockets at the moment, because he was preoccupied with restraining them both and after, there was just too much blood IMO.
I asked about her clothing, because he had to wipe his hands someplace and I wasn't sure if her clothing was bloody or not. If they were, I'd guess that's where he wiped his hands, because they were removed before she was killed.

I’m still reading through the thread checking for posts I’ve missed as I update the media thread.

I’m wondering if and when all the evidence collected has been re-examined lately?

Where is the vehicle now? Is it still in the HPD storage?

Last edited:
@mocity , I’m looking back to see exactly how long it’s been since there’s been an age progression on the sketch.

I wonder if he may wear a beard now, or have a salt and pepper goatee. Maybe he’s even balding. Just a thought. How much has his appearance changed I wonder since the last age progression? Looking for date of last age progression.

Man I wish/hope we can get an updated computer generated sketch from Parabon.

Not sure if I answered this but it was a security guard from a nearby office building. He found the car which was Andy's. It has been said it was Cheryl's which is wrong too.

Gosh so much misinformation. All this needs to be cleared up going forward, moo.

Thinking out loud..
If both were taken from the car at the same time by one person, to me, it would make sense that both would have been led from the car to the tree, Andy would have been tied up and no longer a threat, and then Cheryl led away the 100 yards away.
rsbm.

I wonder if he had Cheryl tie up Andy. This happens sometimes with dual victims, moo.
(Sorry @mocity :( )

Trying to separate fact from fiction.
What we know.
1) It was Andys car, and not Cheryls.
2) It was a Security Guard that found the car, and not HPD.
3) It wasn't "Lovers Lane" but a hang out spot for drinking and socializing.
4) The reason the Security Guard called was because he found something in Cheryls pocketbook, and not because he ran Andys plate number.

Still not sure about the rumor of the golf club having blood on it. I found this article that says there was. ( To me, that's important, because if there was, but no sign of injury on either Cheryl or Andy, that means he made two trips to and from the car, one with blood on his hands, yet no scent from the dog?)
Star-News - Google News Archive Search

Mocity:
I read old posts where it was stated that Andys father owned a strip club? Was it a strip club, or a Golds Gym?
I also read there were two types of rope used. Is this true?

Marking this post for reference as we aim to clear up some of this misinformation going forward.

If someone was on foot, That means they would have had to either know Cheryl and Andy were going to show, or were lying in wait for someone else. To me, because they brought rope, and a knife, they had planned on tying someone up in advance. It also means they would have had to hang around in hopes that someone would show up.
It would be nice to know if the tracking dogs were used to try and track a scent through the woods.
We know they were used to find Cheryls body. According to the weather reports, There were heavy thunderstorms on Aug 21, before Cheryl and Andy left the club, and there was a thunderstorm between 2:30 and 3:30 pm on Aug 22,, along with light rain around 4 pm for a short while, before the bodies were found later that evening. If the dogs were able to track Cheryls scent, I don't see why they couldn't track the exit of the killer, if he was on foot.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=
https://www.wunderground.com/histor...statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Getting an error on these links now, as happens in many old posts here, which is why it’s great that some content has been noted along with the links that no longer exist - making a note to find updated weather link.

Last edited:
Wonder if there are any police reports from that area before the murders of any noises or susipous people. I would not be surprised if other people that went to that spot did not have a run in with somebody odd or out of place there

This is a good thought about previous police reports in general. Houston’s such a big city, and it would be a needle in a haystack, but I wonder what other incidents, rapes and attempted rapes there may have been during time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back