IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The date of the next court hearing is 12/17, which the trial can't start until discovery is complete:

Google Translate

This article goes into more detail including a statement by the prosecution:
"The child of one year and seven months lost her life when her grandmother (husband of the maternal grandmother) exposed her negligently through a window on the 11th floor of the boat," say the statements of the secretary of Justice, Denisse Longo.
Google Translate

Last edited:
And now their lawyer is bailing on them.
He must know the evidence via video is damning to SA.

MW seemed so sure of himself when the "accident" took place, and the family wanted to blame the cruise line. Do I detect fading bravado from Mr. Winkleman? He won't admit to actually having seen the video, but he's probably been made aware of what it shows. That's why he's backing down on his claims on the parents' behalf.

Prosecutor Laura Hernandez told ABC News that prosecutors are confident in the case and would not have pursued a negligent homicide charge if it was not supported by the evidence.

Prosecutors on Wednesday told Judge Gisela Alfonso Fernandez they had discovery evidence to present to the defense. The judge agreed to postpone further proceedings until the discovery evidence was in the hands of the defense.

The date of the next court hearing is 12/17, which the trial can't start until discovery is complete:

Google Translate

This article goes into more detail including a statement by the prosecution:
"The child of one year and seven months lost her life when her grandmother (husband of the maternal grandmother) exposed her negligently through a window on the 11th floor of the boat," say the statements of the secretary of Justice, Denisse Longo.
Google Translate
Just what most of us thought happened IMO. BBM - "through a window" - she was held outside the window and slipped. Next I am predicting a plea deal because otherwise that video may become public and that will haunt this family forever
JMO

^ I have never believed that Grandpa didn't know the window was open. I don't know exactly what his motivation was in lifting Chloe up to the open window, but there is no way that he thought she'd be banging on glass. The windows are obviously tinted and only open windows would be clear. I think he wanted a clear (and open) view of the port and lifted Chloe up to share the view with him.

Esp. IF SA had her little legs or feet sticking out of that window... or if he actually 'dangled' her.
In that scenario --- sounds like an evil cruel act and not an accident; imo.
Guess that video should be revealing !

I want to see if any of the family was lying about where they were when Chloe fell.
Parents say they were in a different part of the ship... were they ?
There's a reason for wanting to know if all parties were being truthful.
And how was Chloe's dad of the mindset to be taking photos in the same hours after she fell ?

An article early on said that Chloe's mom was at her daughter's side soon after she was dropped.
Not sure how she ran down 11 decks so quickly, unless she was already outside the ship ?

And just how did SA 'lose his balance and drop Chloe' if the ship was docked --which it was -- and still ?

Also want to know if he'd been drinking before this , and if he 'looked both ways' to see if anyone was watching him before lifting up that baby.
Again I feel there's something horrible on that video and not just Chloe falling.

As preposterous as it is to think that the step-grandfather behaved in a stunningly negligent way, that seems to be exactly what happened here. The parents and Winkleman only knew what SA told them and he was highly distressed. Maybe he was in fear and denial at what he had done. I am glad that the prosecutors are standing up for Chloe and for all children in taking this case forward. One moment in time and a lot of lives were ruined but most of all this child died a terrible death. We'd all like to believe that no sane grandparent would act in this manner but if that were the case they wouldn't be prosecuting him. I'm glad this is finally going to court and I hope it's taken to a conclusion soon so everyone can move forward. So sickening.

Prosecutors told the court they have witnesses from both on and off the island that they will call to testify and they are expecting to present new evidence later on Wednesday.

The judge agreed to postpone proceedings until the evidence is shared with the defense.

In an interview with ABC News, prosecutor Laura Hernandez said she was confident in her case and would not have pursued the charge if it was not supported by evidence.

Ms Hernandez denied that Royal Caribbean had any influence in the decision to bring the charge.

CCTV key in cruise ship toddler death

Still curious about why the breathalyzer was refused.
Obviously I think he was drinking -- but didn't have to be drunk.

Or maybe he stumbled b/c he was tipsy and tottering all over ?
So then why was Chloe placed in his care ?

Say we take Winkleman at his word--- If SA wasn't a drinker, why not take it to show he hadn't imbibed ?
Nothing to hide and all that.

I still wonder if SA was angry about having to watch her--- this was his vacation as well.

Cruises & Cruise Holidays for 2019-2021 | Royal Caribbean UK
Are the Balconies and Railings safe?

Balconies and railings represent an important safety feature on our ships. Even though our balconies and railings exceed the height requirements of similar shore-side features, it is important that guests do not climb or sit on railings for their own safety. Doing so may result in a guest being injured and is a violation of our Guest Conduct Policy, possibly resulting in the guest's removal from the ship. While it is safe to travel in a balcony stateroom with children, we recommend small children not be left on the balcony by themselves.

Are the Balconies and Railings safe?

Last edited:
IMO if these railings are of legal height and if proven dangerous then ALL cruise lines worldwide will have to be modified. Which would be a massive exercise.

I don’t think they’ll be welding those windows shut just yet. If they did they’d be admitting there was a design flaw.

Last edited:
Esp. IF SA had her little legs or feet sticking out of that window... or if he actually 'dangled' her.
In that scenario --- sounds like an evil cruel act and not an accident; imo.
Guess that video should be revealing !

I want to see if any of the family was lying about where they were when Chloe fell.
Parents say they were in a different part of the ship... were they ?
There's a reason for wanting to know if all parties were being truthful.
And how was Chloe's dad of the mindset to be taking photos in the same hours after she fell ?

An article early on said that Chloe's mom was at her daughter's side soon after she was dropped.
Not sure how she ran down 11 decks so quickly, unless she was already outside the ship ?

And just how did SA 'lose his balance and drop Chloe' if the ship was docked --which it was -- and still ?

Also want to know if he'd been drinking before this , and if he 'looked both ways' to see if anyone was watching him before lifting up that baby.
Again I feel there's something horrible on that video and not just Chloe falling.
I agree - I think there are truths to be told IMO (and the CCTV on RCCL is astounding)
JMO

Attorney Rep'ing Grandfather Anello?
@SpanishInquisition
^ names lawyer José Guillermo Pérez Ortiz as rep'ing G'father.
W a quick search, I did not find anything on him, may not have looked at enough results.
Anyone find something? TiA.
Searching on his full name (thanks!) it seems he's quite active in criminal cases but doesn't appear to be much of a media hound. He was associated with a law firm but it was dissolved in 2017. So maybe he's now in private practice?
Jose G. Perez-Ortiz Leagle Profile | Leagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member