Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a defendant should be barred from advancing a defence if he hasn't even admitted that defence in his own words.
Definitely...... I wonder what the defence's retort will be. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping Dickey will bring up the accused's claim he lost his job on the day he met Grace. If he had built up a 'persona' in those 3 months, of wealth and hobnobbing with the rich and famous, and it was going down the toilet fast, he could've taken it out on Grace, she actually had in reality what he craved for. jmo

Crown solicitor Brian Dickey finally turns to the defence's evidence, brought before the jury this week.

Sexual culture expert Professor Clarissa Smith told the court BDSM was extremely popular, especially following the release of sexual fantasy book and film 50 Shades of Grey.

"But people aren't dying in their beds. There aren't mounting bodies on the street from this behaviour," Dickey says.

The court heard from one of Grace's ex-partners who said she was interested in BDSM but said they had experimented and engaged in safe practices.

He also said Grace wouldn't have trusted anyone she met on dating apps enough to try out BDSM practices with them.

On that note, Dickey asks the jury to "please" take the evidence of Grace's messages with other men on BDSM app Whiplr "lightly".

Grace brushed off at least one of those men, and it had not been proved that she met any of them, he says.

Grace Millane murder trial: Crown and defence sum up the case

1:00pm - Dickey notes blood was found around the CityLife hotel apartment, with DNA matching that of Millane.

He says considering the position of her body, and the small size of the room, the accused would have likely had to step over her, or around her, when moving from the shower he claimed he passed out in, to the bed.

On the defence’s case, Dickey questions the relevance of Professor Clarissa Smith’s evidence. Prof Smith - an expert in sexual cultures - who said BDSM was common in society, and considered an umbrella term for many different practices.

He says there "aren’t mounting bodies in the streets" by people touching other people’s necks during sex.

The prosecutor also questions the relevance of knowing Millane had an interest in BDSM or that she has previously been choked during sex by partners. He called it "prurient".

Grace Millane murder trial: Live updates as Crown, defence present closing statements
Just brilliant!

Good point by Dickey—The membership of apps and sites like Whiplr and FetLife would be decimated if neck stuff during sex led to inadvertent death on a regular basis.

It doesn’t really happen, and the one time it happens it befalls a profuse liar who then blithely surfs *advertiser censored*, snaps posed nudes of the newly dead woman, hops back on Tinder and then dumps the woman in the bush like it’s nothing. Things that make you go hmmm...

Crown solicitor Brian Dickey makes his final statement on behalf of the prosecution.

"This case is about whether Grace was strangled to death," he says.

"You can't consent to your own death, your own murder.

"She would have to have consented to someone holding her throat for 10 minutes, even after she had passed out. We've heard her [Grace's] interest and it was really safe."

Dickey says the defence is not saying this was manslaughter, they are saying it was an accident and that the accused should walk free.

"It's Grace’s fault as much as anyone's fault. He didn't do anything wrong [the defence says]."

The actions and lies of the accused following Grace's death "entwine in the same direction, which takes us to a compelling case of murder", Dickey says.

The Crown rests.

Grace Millane murder trial: Crown and defence sum up the case

1:11pm - Wrapping up, Dickey summarises the evidence provided by key witnesses - including the Tinder matches and pathologists.

He finishes by saying considering each witness together, there is a "compelling case" for murder.

The court is now taking a break.

1:08pm - Dickey says the case isn't about consent. He says you can't consent to being murdered.

"She would have had to have consented to someone holding her throat for 10 minutes".

He tells the jury that her interests in BDSM were minor and included safe practises.

Grace Millane murder trial: Live updates as Crown, defence present closing statements

Good point by Dickey—The membership of apps and sites like Whiplr and FetLife would be decimated if neck stuff during sex led to inadvertent death on a regular basis.

It doesn’t really happen, and the one time it happens it befalls a profuse liar who then blithely surfs *advertiser censored*, snaps posed nudes of the newly dead woman, hops back on Tinder and then dumps the woman in the bush like it’s nothing. Things that make you go hmmm...
Exactly, ill be extremely shocked if its anything but guilty tbh

id LOVE to see or hear what the accused's demeanor is after hearing that full closing speech by the crown... who's betting hes sat there sulking and trying to portray himself as being all hard done by? .. maybe feigning a few tears aswell.

WOW, ^^ does that mean if he gets found not guilty he gets acquitted?? surely not?
Not sure but it sounds like it... he gets acquitted he walks free it seems..shiver

Is this defendant held in custody right now, during trial? I assume he’s not on bail. Never followed a case with the defendant name and details suppressed, so much is a cipher

id LOVE to see or hear what the accused's demeanor is after hearing that full closing speech by the crown... who's betting hes sat there sulking and trying to portray himself as being all hard done by? .. maybe feigning a few tears aswell.
Yeah usually the news sites have a mention of his crying distraught displays but haven’t read anything today. Maybe he’s pacing himself for when his attorneys speak

Not sure but it sounds like it... he gets acquitted he walks free it seems..shiver

I think/hope he would still get jail time for hiding her afterwards - I'm not sure what terminology NZ uses but abuse of a corpse, preventing lawful burial etc. Still, there is a worst case scenario (IMO) that he could be walking free much sooner than he deserves.

Surely, if he's found not guilty, it will set a precedent for choking/strangulation deaths, anyone can claim it was an accident?! If he walks free, his name will never be released? He will get the attention he so obviously craves with his tall tales to anyone who'll listen, the sob story for all his future encounters. o_O

I think/hope he would still get jail time for hiding her afterwards - I'm not sure what terminology NZ uses but abuse of a corpse, preventing lawful burial etc. Still, there is a worst case scenario (IMO) that he could be walking free much sooner than he deserves.
Yeah I am wondering. In the US he would be facing conviction on multiple lesser charges besides/in the alternative to murder such as possibly manslaughter and abuse of a corpse and maybe obstruction of justice. I wonder if he has pled to some lesser things that are suppressed ( can’t have pled to manslaughter because Dickey says the defense is not conceding manslaughter).

I’m hoping the judge’s summing up tomorrow lays out what the jury has to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedWriter