CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Failed drone attempt.. This is the beginning of the walk from the Highway and the drone is supposed to follow me.. But it gets a mind of its own and wont..
You can see how sparse the area is from overhead..
The rocks at the base of the mountains 1/2 mile ahead is where RT said he lost sight of BT
I supplied pics and video of that area already..

S0...it wasn't 1/4th of a mile from the RV, it was ½ mile. Interesting.

It was less sparse last July, of course, but still. I think you're right about the likelihood of mountain lions in that area being really small.

bbm

I'm wondering if any of the huge boulders observed during your outing appear to have moved (if possible to determine) from the most-recent round of earthquakes that hit the area.

Ha. No. They've been where they are since the first geologic surveys of the area were published in the 50's. I suppose some small rocks could have shifted. Those things are poking up out of the dirt surrounding them, but are essentially bedrock. The earthquake (200 miles away) was barely felt at that distance. It was the Ridgecrest area that was impacted, but even there, no big movement of boulders.

The area Cazador photographed exposes granite bedrock and granite is difficult to move. It's the more recent rocks formed of loose sand and other rocks that moves around in an earthquake (along with riverbeds).

There's a science center immediately adjacent to the Granite Mountains and yes, I do believe movement of any big boulders would be noticed by them (or rangers). Those boulders all have centuries of silt/packed mud around their lower edges (and characteristic weathering on their bottom side) so yes, someone would notice if one of them moved (and I do believe it would be all over social media within the travel/national park sector).

S0...it wasn't 1/4th of a mile from the RV, it was ½ mile. Interesting.

It was less sparse last July, of course, but still. I think you're right about the likelihood of mountain lions in that area being really small.

I am probably wrong and you are correct. I did not have my mile meter with me.. When I think about it, it did not feel like 1/2 to the rocks. It sure looks it in pics.. but I timed it at 15 minutes to walk it from the road to the rock wall and where RT said he lost sight of Barbara was 5 minutes before..

Last edited:
this is great @cazador ! did you search the side where the RV was parked? Are you able to mark your search route on a map and post it here please?
I fell terrible I did not walk the dirt road behind where the RV was parked. I did go back there and and look around and thought to myself that he would get his RV stuck or at least really dirty and that would have put LE on alert that his RV had been in the back country ..
If I go back I will take a 4wd vehicle.. My wife wanted to drive her race car so that is what we did :)

Google Maps

Last edited:
this is great @cazador ! did you search the side where the RV was parked? Are you able to mark your search route on a map and post it here please?

It would be great if you could mark your search route(s) on a map for us. I realize you walked around the trails several times.

It would be great if you could mark your search route(s) on a map for us. I realize you walked around the trails several times.
It is every place floor level you can see in the photos.. from the Asphalt parking area to 1/4 mile past the walking path across the street from where we parked. Then all the way back to the rocks at the base of the mountain..
I will make something and upload it..
Where is my crayons ?? hmm :)

Did we ever establish that they do in fact own a boat ?
If so what make is it, the length of the boat.
Most important, where do they keep it..

No clue about such details, but The VI said they had a boat: "besides the rv they also regularly camp on their day boat on the Colorado river." CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

I think there's a photo of a boat among the photos the VI posted. Should be in media thread.
ETA: Here's a photo:
173715-74e99a45586f4e91f451ddcefec1b5da.jpg

Last edited:
It is every place floor level you can see in the photos.. from the Asphalt parking area to 1/4 mile past the walking path across the street from where we parked. Then all the way back to the rocks at the base of the mountain..
I will make something and upload it..
Where is my crayons ?? hmm :)

Thanks. I keep fooling around with Google Maps trying to mark up a map of the area with possible routes RT &BT might have taken, but I lack the skills. I need a "maps for dummies" guide!

No clue about such details, but The VI said they had a boat: "besides the rv they also regularly camp on their day boat on the Colorado river." CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

I think there's a photo of a boat among the photos the VI posted. Should be in media thread.
ETA: Here's a photo:
173715-74e99a45586f4e91f451ddcefec1b5da.jpg
If that is the one then they put it in the water as needed and they keep it in the storage yard around the corner from their home.. OK ...I take that one off my list.. I was considering they might have had it in a birth. I am just considering what is possible after leaving their home for this trip as Barbara is not visual anywhere past the point of them leaving for this trip.. But we do not have access to LE files and for all we know they have witness statements from people who actually watched both of them walking at Kelbaker rd. Just like people were watching me from the asphalt parking area as I walked around.

bbm
If that is the one then they put it in the water as needed and they keep it in the storage yard around the corner from their home.. OK ...I take that one off my list.. I was considering they might have had it in a birth. I am just considering what is possible after leaving their home for this trip as Barbara is not visual anywhere past the point of them leaving for this trip.. But we do not have access to LE files and for all we know they have witness statements from people who actually watched both of them walking at Kelbaker rd. Just like people were watching me from the asphalt parking area as I walked around.
...wondering how many of them were undercover LE ...watching...

Yes, It is time to look elsewhere, time to sleuth other possible locations.Much time has been spent searching only here.
Your pictures and video has helped seal that for me and others.I hope LE is looking into other search areas.
They should start closer to home and surrounding areas and along the route from home to this location.

LE has told family that no further searches are planned.

Surely LE has GPS records for the one phone, for the day.

The route between their home and this area contains thousands of square miles. There are many many places along the road where a big truck and trailer rig could pull out. All sorts of dirt roads that are still passable. Unless LE has some clue from the phone, it's absolutely hopeless to search outside the regularly hiked/touristed areas. The entire region is filled with even more desolate places than Kelbaker Road, years and years of searching could still be fruitless without clues as to where the person was last seen.

Keep in mind that LE has stated that they have photographic proof that Barbara was at Kelbaker some time that day. I'm inclined to trust LE in their few statements to our VI, so far. I also think they used RT's phone to decide to visit the convenience store, so I assume they have stopped by every place that the phone shows it went that day. As far as we know here on WS, it's just two places.

I think Cazador's pictures of what lies immediately beyond the area where RT says BT went missing are intriguing. Miles and miles of desert. The initial search area appears to be no more than 2 square miles out of a much larger area that's accessible from where the Thomases parked.

bbm

...wondering how many of them were undercover LE ...watching...

In Mojave Preserve? My guess would be zero.

Robert Thomas declined to comment to The Republic. On July 15, he told KTNV-TV, a Las Vegas TV station, that he believes his wife was abducted after rounding a corner during their hike while he stopped to a take a photo. He believes she may have been taken to Las Vegas.
Family suspects foul play in disappearance of Bullhead City woman

Which leads us to Highway 95 just out of Needles Ca. on Highway 40
I have found various spots along that route she could have ended up at.

After all RT has already set it up for whomever finds BT ..

Then he just says.. See I told Everyone.. !!
Trying to get himself out of it..
I wonder how many 69 year old women have ever been abducted?

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

There's a lot of sick people out in the world. Here's an example.

74-year-old woman kidnapped, raped in San Francisco home: police

Authorities said the woman was walking through the Crocker-Amazon district around 8 a.m., when a man pulled her into a house. There was reportedly a pit bull inside that bit her. The man then locked the woman in a room and repeatedly raped her, authorities said.

74-year-old woman kidnapped, raped in San Francisco home: police

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone actually walked 1/2 mile in the Mojave desert in July?

My Mom is a dedicated "desert rat" after living in Las Vegas for over 40 years, and she only walks very early in the morning, because by 8:00, it is literally too hot. A woman in a bikini would have been fried.

On July 12, it was 102 degrees there, with no humidity. Even young folks, in good shape, can hike a ways in heat like that, but at 69....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member