GUILTY NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 #3

Do we know how much time he spent in Australia?
Do they have something like NAMUS in Oz?
How about in NZ?

We have a missing persons register in nz but not of UIDs, we don’t really have many to speak of. Nz is such a small country that any bodies found are usually quickly ID’d.

Not sure about Aus. I do know they have a national register of missing persons.

For any fellow new zealanders - if you have a tor browser (which is simple to download) then you could easily google search the killers name as though you’re in another country.

child sex abuse ??? :eek:

I know the British media has no reason not to publish. I hope the publication of his name overseas doesn’t give him reason to say he didn’t get a fair trial if this is the trial that is pending.

2021 is so far away and I’m thinking his victim may be a minor. Even “just” a young teen.

Last edited:
Without sounding unsupportive to the victims of any future cases - the Daily Mail won't really have any interest in future cases unless they are British (and female young and pretty) also.
Well, I don't know about the UK but in the US they are a gossip and entertainment site that consistently reports on criminal cases like this and they are not reliable when it comes to accurate reporting.

Imo

What is the sentence of first or second degree murder in this country? I'm guessing this will be second degree murder?

Welcome Razman, with your first post, posting at such an important time.:):):)
Hope this Creep is never released.

Grace's positive legacy is already unfolding, in the shape of full-throated advocacy for legal reform of the "rough sex gone wrong" defence. This just in from The Guardian:

Senior lawyers and women’s organisations have condemned the increasing use of “rough sex gone wrong” as a courtroom defence to the murder of women and called for a change to the law in the UK. In the wake of the conviction of British backpacker Grace Millane’s killer in New Zealand, researchers have revealed a tenfold rise over the past two decades in the number of times similar claims have been made in UK courts.

Sarah Green, the director of the End Violence Against Women coalition, said: “Women monitoring femicides in the UK believe the so-called ‘rough sex defence’ is growing. It is deeply alarming and at worst reflects the fact that defence is, actually, a business where some are willing to ‘test’ approaches that might win in court. It sets women up to be harmed in life and grossly insulted after their deaths.

“We’re also appalled at the willingness of large parts of the media to uncritically reproduce this deeply misogynistic line. Editors need to get a hold of this now and stop the thoughtless and sensational communication of cases where women have died.”

Concern grows over ‘rough sex gone wrong’ defence in courts

We have a missing persons register in nz but not of UIDs, we don’t really have many to speak of. Nz is such a small country that any bodies found are usually quickly ID’d.

Not sure about Aus. I do know they have a national register of missing persons.

Agrees we really don’t have that many people unaccounted for and they do ID victims quickly. I can’t find an update article but to 2017 they say 333 people missing for more that a year. I will note since this article they did find Leo.

Without a trace: New Zealand's most enduring missing persons cases

Hi everyone. I have been following cases on here for years with interest but rarely comment. However, there is something I noticed that I don't think anyone has mentioned. I studied criminal law in the UK and I don't know how similar NZ criminal law is but what I noticed is to do with previous convictions. In the UK, there is a lot of law around 'bad character' evidence as it is called. It is determined before a trial whether or not previous convictions can be admitted as evidence but once the trial commences, there are 7 ways they can be introduced. One of the ways is if the defendant or any of his/her representatives speaks negatively about the victim or any witnesses. In plain English, if they slag off anyone else, they become free game.
I noticed when the Defence began presenting their case, he started going to great lengths to make it clear Grace had done nothing wrong.
"I want to be 100 per cent clear there is no blame attributed to Grace, and there should be no shame."
Why not blame Grace? The defendant was fighting for his life and nobody else was in the room. He could have totally blamed her. This makes me strongly believe he has previous convictions. Incidentally, I noticed the same thing in the Vincent Tabak (Joanna Yeates) case when the Defence was very careful about not blaming Joanna for inviting VT in for a drink and it transpired that VT had pictures of women being strangled on his laptop.
Anyway, just my thoughts!

Thanks Legal, for this info.:):):)
Guess, we will hear soon: the sooner the better, of this Creep's past, and now possible, further trials, next.

<modsnip: no link to substantiate information>

Very relieved to have a guilty verdict although believed that was always going to be the case. Too much evidence against the defendent and as a country that prides itself on being so welcome to visitors this has really effected everyone - despite whatever bullcrap the defence tried to throw at it I don't think there would have been a single jury member that could have in their heart let him get away with it (not saying that emotion was used over logic here as, again, evidence was too strong).

In an earlier thread another Kiwi poster posited that he may have been deported from Australia - for those not au fait with that particular diplomatic situation Australia has recently started cracking down and deporting Kiwis who are jailed for crimes in Aus. Would not be surprised if this was why he was back, or at the very least that he was running from something in Aus.

Hope we hear further, why this Moron's name has been suppressed: perhaps past, future trials etc

Last edited:
Ok, have had a look and from what I can tell:

- a person convicted of murder will get a “life” sentence but also included will be a minimum period before parole can be sought. It seems to typically be in the 12-18 year mark but I’ve definitely seen lower. Ten years is the lowest.

- however if a life sentence could be seen to be manifestly unjust, the judge can set a number of years. There was a supposed mercy killing a few years back where the woman got convicted of murder, sentenced to four years and was out in two.

Life imprisonment in New Zealand - Wikipedia

dbm

Last edited:
Ok, have had a look and from what I can tell:

- a person convicted of murder will get a “life” sentence but also included will be a minimum period before parole can be sought. It seems to typically be in the 12-18 year mark but I’ve definitely seen lower. Ten years is the lowest.

- however if a life sentence could be seen to be manifestly unjust, the judge can set a number of years. There was a supposed mercy killing a few years back where the woman got convicted of murder, sentenced to four years and was out in two.

Life imprisonment in New Zealand - Wikipedia

From that same source:

(1) The court must make an order under section 103 imposing a minimum period of imprisonment of at least 17 years in the following circumstances, unless it is satisfied that it would be manifestly unjust to do so:
(a) if the murder was committed in an attempt to avoid the detection, prosecution, or conviction of any person for any offence or in any other way to attempt to subvert the course of justice;

So reading that, he should get at the very least: life with a minimum non-parole period of 17 years

Name suppression order will apparently not be lifted until late 2021

"The identity of Grace Millane's murderer will remain a secret until 2021 due to a suppression order that bans media from naming and picturing him...due to a number of legal issues which are also suppressed."

Grace Millane's killer can't be named for two years due to suppression order

Welcome, trvshyworld, with your first post, and great info.
Guess, we will not have this Creep's id, for sometime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back