GUILTY CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe for the fund started up for flight school.
Actually, it's a pretty cool reason. Had no idea!

U.S. Air Force on Twitter
#DYK: There's a tradition amongst student pilots & instructors upon their first flight in specialized undergraduate pilot training.

High school alumni continue “dollar ride” tradition > Vance Air Force Base > News

VANCE AIR FORCE BASE, Okla. – In the early 1900s, pilots would charge a dollar at the fair for customers to ride front seat of the airplane and act like they were flying. Today, in Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (SUPT), the “dollar ride” is a little different.

The dollar ride is the first flight a student pilot takes during SUPT. Since it is impossible for a student pilot to fail their first flight and nothing in life is free, the students give their instructors a decorated dollar after the flight to pay them back for the ride.

This was from a Facebook page, not related to KB case

WHY DOLLAR RIDE?
There is a tradition in the military flying schools for which the first flight in pilot training is called “dollar ride,” usually this term is applied to the first flight in any flying training program in a new aircraft.

The student is very clueless and the instructor pilot (IP) has to DEMOnstrate (and so fly) so much that the student is essentially a passenger, for this reason the student gives the IP a dollar bill as a “tip” for the ride. The dollars are always decorated with magazine clippings (some more risqué than others), phrases, or other details that might characterize the flight, the student, or the IP, some of the dollars that I have seen are more a big collage than a single bill and most of them are very naughty and funny!!! Many instructors’s desks are littered with those special dollar bills.
Thank you!! That makes sense.

NOV 22, 2019
‘Not only was she loved, but she loved everyone else:’ Remembering Kelsey Berreth 1 year after her death
Even amid a tragedy that leaves behind more questions than answers, one thing is abundantly clear: Kelsey Berreth was loved by everyone who knew her.

[...]

She died one year ago Friday, on Nov. 22, 2018. We won't talk about the circumstances surrounding her death here -- those details have already been widely reported. Instead, we'll share some of the kind things the people who knew and loved her have said in recent weeks.

"Not only was she loved, but she loved everyone else," her uncle Scott Morin said.

b284c5d0-fd5c-492e-b3f5-d6fb39d8fc4c_750x422.png

Kelsey Berreth worked as a flight instructor for a company that trained future Air Force pilots. An arduous job to begin with, the 29-year-old excelled in the position even as she commuted two hours round trip to work as a new mom.

[...]

Dollar bills signed by students were hung at Berreth's desk near photos of her baby daughter and a calendar of Bible quotes. The last one she opened — dated Nov. 21, 2018 — was Philippians 2:13.

Berreth was adored by the students she spent hours conducting training exercises in a tight cockpit.

[...]

“It was probably a little bit difficult as a single mom to balance the work-life thing, I can’t imagine how she did it,” CS said. “I live 10 minutes from work and she lived over an hour. It’s a fairly stressful job to begin with and what a woman of strength to be able to do that. I don’t know if I could.”

More than anything though, Kelsey Berreth was a mother.

“[Her daughter] is … Kelsey’s life,” Cheryl Berreth said. “Her world revolved around [her daughter]. She was a great mom.”

[...]

Outside of coffee, Cheryl Berreth said her daughter needed three pretty basic things to be happy.

“She needed a good night sleep, she needed to spend her time with God and she needed to go running,” Cheryl Berreth said.

[...]

“[The killer] took a shining light from this Earth, and we’ve heard over and over again from everybody who knew her,” said Jennifer Viehman, a senior deputy district attorney.

"She mattered," Viehman added. "Kelsey mattered.
"

Bbm, Oh she mattered. To hundreds of us strangers here who felt her in our hearts. Just think of those that haven't joined us. She mattered all right.

Remembering Kelsey, the beautiful woman she was, a shining light in this world, her adorable little girl and her family.

From her Pinterest:

If the words
don't add up,
It's usually because
the truth
wasn't
included in the equation.

How well this quote reflects on those two devils (liars and false accusers) that conspired to kill her and the fools around them that could not ascertain "the truth".

Remembering Kelsey, the beautiful woman she was, a shining light in this world, her adorable little girl and her family.

From her Pinterest:

If the words
don't add up,
It's usually because
the truth
wasn't
included in the equation.

How well this quote reflects on those two devils (liars and false accusers) that conspired to kill her and the fools around them that could not ascertain "the truth".

Goes for those that didn't know how to add up before he murdered her too.

This is my first time posting on Websleuths but I've been lurking here since the very beginning. I've been here to read every single horrific and tragic development from this case, crying and stunned by how many people failed Kelsey, her sweet baby, and her family. How no one thought to say something, anything, will always bring tears to my eyes and a profound sadness that cannot be put into words. I've learned so much from this community of people in this corner of the internet, seeking truth and justice for the Kelsey and the entire Berreth family. I never really had anything valuable to add to the conversation that hadn't already been said or discussed at great length by all of you. I'm grateful that justice came swiftly and decidedly so this day could be dedicated to remembering what a light Kelsey was and how she was loved by so many, including those who never had the chance to know her personally.

Thank you all for the insightful discussions and always keeping your sights set on justice for Kelsey above all.

I hope the Berreth family somehow finds peace in all of this tragedy. I know Baby K will be raised to be a strong, kind, wonderful human in a loving and caring home with her mother's family - both she and Kelsey both deserve absolutely no less. R.I.P Kelsey. We will not forget you.
Welcome, and thank you for your very eloquent post. I'm glad that you felt our shared passion in seeking justice for Kelsey above all else.

Today as many gather to remember this loving mother, daughter, sister, pilot, and friend, we join them in celebrating her life and affirming that she was a bright, shining light in this world. We send our prayers, love, and light to her
family, who we know will keep her memory alive, particularly for her sweet daughter. Rest in love, dear Kelsey, and fly with the angels.

Last edited:
Kelsey, you are missed by so many people! I know everyone said she liked french manicures best, but I thought since so many have described her as such a positive light in their lives that she deserved a little - ok, a lot- of extra sparkle. Yes, I’m holding one of my sons planes...it seemed fitting. Also, the name of this polish is Sylph, which is a mythological air spirit. I’d like to think of Kelsey that way now ❤️

Very lovely!

I don't know. I'm curious about that too. MOO

I'm thinking they were somewhat following a military custom of placing coins on a gravesite in appreciation. Each coin from penny to quarters designated rank with quarter being a big gun.
Now having said that, I have left quarters in the angels hands at the site of the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire that to this day is still unsolved with 165 people dying 42 years ago. IMHO

Actually, it's a pretty cool reason. Had no idea!

U.S. Air Force on Twitter
#DYK: There's a tradition amongst student pilots & instructors upon their first flight in specialized undergraduate pilot training.

High school alumni continue “dollar ride” tradition > Vance Air Force Base > News

VANCE AIR FORCE BASE, Okla. – In the early 1900s, pilots would charge a dollar at the fair for customers to ride front seat of the airplane and act like they were flying. Today, in Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (SUPT), the “dollar ride” is a little different.

The dollar ride is the first flight a student pilot takes during SUPT. Since it is impossible for a student pilot to fail their first flight and nothing in life is free, the students give their instructors a decorated dollar after the flight to pay them back for the ride.

Absolutely very cool!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member