AZ - Barbara Thomas, 69, Timeline, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

@cazador's trip to the Mojave PART I

We walked the zone 3 times front to back. My wife called out my name from various positions and I can hear her from most positions. Most of the time you can see the telephone lines for a landmark position. Kelbaker rd has traffic and you can see roof tops driving the road and motor home are quite visible. You step up on a rock and Everthing is visable. The paved parking area is visable ..
CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

The primitive camping area would be a deliberate walk within full view of Kelbaker rd from most positions. RT could not access this area with a 5fh wheel. If BT accessed this area she would have to walk sideways and climb up and through some major rocks..
CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #12

Call LE and they give me exact location of 5th wheel and where RT was standing. Fact.
I talk with family members both Here and other places. They give family history which is Fact.
I contact Kennel.. Get a Fact.
I go to the Location.. Find no evidence but I get Fact in my mind of what is possible.
I go the the Chevron.. LE has been there. Fact.
I talk with park Rangers.. They tell me how many independent people have searched.
It is not really fact but I do see evidence all over the desert of searchers. " They leave tags" Fact

Yellow .. Green ribbons tied to plants telling other searchers this area has been searched .. Very common.

I was trying to figure out if anyone at the Chevron had seen BT..
He parked across the street in front of the motel and that had already been established. The person I talked with was not the person who sold the ice to RT and did not know much about the case..

Cactus
70328423_3294165070601569_5263679199469633536_o.jpg

We parked where RT parked the 5th wheel
rtparked-jpg.216192

RT & BT cross the road to begin their journey to the rock formations
hiddenhillrd-jpg.216194
hiddenhill2-jpg.216195
hiddenhill3-jpg.216197

75 degree Both Saturday and Sunday in the search of the area. Those rock mountains are breathtaking when you get up close. Gods work of art. :) It is very harsh and I bet both coyote and Lion stay out of this area just because of what they may get in their paws. I had 2 bunnies that hung around and I had found some very small deer track.
You are so right about the lack of rock where we parked.. :)
RT Keys hiding spot appears to be missing.. hmm

@cazador's trip to the Mojave PART II

This is where we encountered the limitation for our dog.. Jet the sniffer dog was retired from the search effort at this moment. On the leash he went and we continue on to the rocks ahead. He would run after the rabbits and we would be at the vet..
walk1-jpg.216206
walk2-jpg.216207
walk3-jpg.216209

Next we find the line of telephone poles that run the whole length of the valley floor and are a road in themselves. You can see these poles from every place on our walk.
teleroad1-jpg.216211
teleroad2-jpg.216212

@cazador's trip to the Mojave PART IV

The walking path splits at the rock. Off to the left leads further back to the mountain wall of rock and to the right leads to the wash out area. In and around this spot are these pics. I start looking for what RT would like to take pictures of .. I am also now realizing the Teddy Bear Cholla " TY mickey2942" :) .. The damn thing drops and the wind carries these very spiny thorns Everywhere !
In back of the rock was a fireplace with very little evidence of people. Pollution free for the most part. Just one very old can used for target practice many years ago. I decide to go walk the wash area.

RTROCK4.jpg RTWALK5.jpg RTWALK6.jpg RTROCK7.jpg

@cazador's trip to the Mojave PART VI

I come back out of the wash out area. I take off down the road to the mountain of rock looking for the picture RT would like. Then I see what would be the picture RT would be after "in my opinion" So it is out there and I go after it.. I not only take pictures I am working the area all around it also.

rtpic1.jpg rtpic2.jpg rtpic3.jpg rtpic4.jpg

I went back out Sunday.. My wife dropped me off and she and Jet went touring the park.. Alone I put the phone down and worked the area for 6 hours very fast. I left knowing in my heart BT is not here at this location.. From so many places you can see clearly the Asphalt parking area and the telephone poles.. There is no way in the world she got lost in my opinion..
With that I am considering the options.. I am sure LE is also..

Oh one more thing.. I am out in the desert floor and I have My wife call out from various spots included is where we parked and I can hear her in most places.
The primitive camping area would not be accessible for the truck and 5th wheel. I think it would have had a hard time and possibly get stuck.
You can see the paved parking spot from where RT said he had last viewed Barbara. And you can see the paved parking from most positions with a few exceptions from the back near the mountain as it is higher then the road. Except when you are in the washout area then you are lower..

primative.jpg

Sunday morning when we pulled in there was a group of people camping in the pull out area.

No I was not concerned at all. I was very comfortable and I never felt I could be in a position where I did not know where I was .. You can hear the traffic and tall vehicles like motorhomes are visible from almost all positions .. You can see the telephone poles ..
I did not encounter one other person walking around out there besides myself and my wife both Saturday and Sunday and there was a lot of traffic on Kelbaker rd both days.
There were many people who stopped at the asphalt pullout area on both days .. You can see that spot from most areas.

Go to Post #296 Look at image rtrock2 and look out in the distance between the rocks. There is a motorhome parked in the asphalt area. Completely visible from where RT last had eyes on BT ... The dirt road leading back to the Hidden Hills turnout where the 5th wheel was parked is not a straight road. So you do lose sight of a person walking back to the road.

I had to cut my images down to 25 % to load them on Websleuths site. At full view the asphalt pullout is quite evident.

When I say a lot of traffic what I mean by that is one car every 5 or 10 minutes ..

@cazador's trip to the Mojave PART VII

The spot where RT said he lost sight of BT

Behind the spot where RT said he lost sight of BT

Failed drone attempt. This is the beginning of the walk from the Highway and the drone is supposed to follow me.. But it gets a mind of its own and wont..
You can see how sparse the area is from overhead.. The rocks at the base of the mountains 1/2 mile ahead is where RT said he lost sight of BT

Last edited:
@cazador's trip to the Mojave PART VIII
I did not have my mile meter with me.. When I think about it, it did not feel like 1/2 mile to the rocks. It sure looks it in pics.. but I timed it at 15 minutes to walk it from the road to the rock wall and where RT said he lost sight of Barbara was 5 minutes before..

I did not walk the dirt road behind where the RV was parked. I did go back there and and look around and thought to myself that he would get his RV stuck or at least really dirty and that would have put LE on alert that his RV had been in the back country .. If I go back I will take a 4wd vehicle.. My wife wanted to drive her race car so that is what we did :) Google Maps

News Update!!: Essex, CA: Missing hiker Barbara Thomas still not found 4 months later.
According to an email from San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department’s Public Information Officer Cindy Bachman, “There is no new information regarding the search for Barbara Thomas. We have asked Volunteer Forces to contact us with any additional search information. 911 recordings are not released as they are considered investigative records. No arrests have been made.”
@cazador , did you share your foto's and video's with LE ?

Last edited:
News Update!!: Essex, CA: Missing hiker Barbara Thomas still not found 4 months later.
According to an email from San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department’s Public Information Officer Cindy Bachman, “There is no new information regarding the search for Barbara Thomas. We have asked Volunteer Forces to contact us with any additional search information. 911 recordings are not released as they are considered investigative records. No arrests have been made.”
@cazador , did you share your foto's and video's with LE ?

Thanks for sharing this

Barbara Thomas – The Charley Project

thomas_barbara.jpg
thomas_barbara2.jpg
thomas_barbara3.jpg
thomas_barbara4.jpg
thomas_barbara6.jpg

Barbara, circa 2019
  • Missing Since 07/12/2019
  • Missing From San Bernardino County, California
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth0 6/11/1950 (70)
  • Age 69 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'9, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A black bikini, tall black socks, tan hiking boots and a red and white baseball cap.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, green eyes. Barbara's ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Barbara was last seen in San Bernardino County, California on July 12, 2019. She was hiking in the Mojave Desert with her husband of fourteen years, Robert Thomas, when she disappeared. A photo of Robert is posted with this case summary. The couple is from Bullhead City, Arizona and had taken a short trip in their camper when they parked off Kelbaker Road and went for a two-mile hike to explore rock formations.

They only had a backpack, beer and a gallon of water with them, and Barbara was wearing a bikini due to the extreme heat. Temperatures that day were over 100 degrees. According to Robert, they were on the way back to their camper when he stopped to take a photo and his wife walked on ahead of him and vanished. He assumed he would find her when he arrived at the camper in a few minutes, but she wasn't there and the door was still locked. After calling for Barbara and searching the area for her, he called 911 and the police launched a search.

An extensive search turned up no indication of Barbara's whereabouts. She had no supplies, identification or cellular phone with her when she disappeared. Robert speculated that someone picked her up after he lost sight of her. In an interview with the media he stated he had failed a polygraph test and investigators viewed him as the prime suspect in her case. Barbara's relatives characterized Robert's story as "highly improbable" and said she had no history of illness and no reason to leave of her own accord.

It's not clear whether Barbara became lost in the desert or if there were other factors involved in her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

Barbara Thomas

MISSING PERSON
Barbara Thomas

Barbara-Thomas-149331.JPG

MISSING SINCE: 07/12/2019
SEX: Female
DOB: 06/11/1950
RACE: White
HEIGHT: 5' 9"
EYES: Green
WEIGHT: 130 lbs.
HAIR: Blonde
CLOTHING: Black bra and underwear, black tall socks, tan hiking boots, and a white hat
DENTAL X-RAYS AVAILABLE: No
Barbara was last seen on July 12, 2019.
Contact AGENCY: San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office
PHONE NUMBER: (909) 387-3695
CASE NUMBER: 101900230
Updated - Dental X-Rays are available.

Barbara Thomas | State of California - Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
DENTAL X-RAYS AVAILABLE: Yes

DEC 16, 2020
Remains of woman lost in Mojave Desert last year found
[...]

According to Supervisor Jeff Lewison of the San Bernardino County Sheriff Coroner's Division, her body was located on November 27 of this year in the desert near Essex, California.

An autopsy has been completed, Lewison confirmed, but the cause of death is still pending.

[...]

DEC 17, 2020
Missing woman's body found | News West Publishing (mohavedailynews.com)
[...]

The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department confirmed that a body found late last month is that of Barbara Thomas. ... The body was discovered Nov. 27 in the desert near Essex, California, the sheriff’s department said.

[...]

No additional information, including a cause of death or the condition of the body, was available Thursday night.

SBCSD Colorado River Station
Missing Person/Death Investigation - the human remains found have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas
3:50 PM · Dec 18, 2020

http://nixle.us/CE3JA
Missing Person/Death Investigation - the human remains found have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas

DATE/TIME: July 12, 2019 2:30 pm **UPDATE**
INCIDENT: Missing Person/Death Investigation
VICTIM: Barbara Thomas, 69 years old, resident of Bullhead City, AZ
DESCRIPTION: 5'9, 130 lbs., Blonde hair, Green eyes, last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks

UPDATE – December 18, 2020
On November 27, 2020 two people were hiking in a field off Kelbaker Road when they discovered human remains. On November 28th a further search was conducted, and additional bones and evidence was recovered.

The remains have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas. The cause of death is pending.

No other details are available for release at this time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back