CO CO - Dale Williams, 42, Nucla, CO May 27,1999

Tlaw223

Reaction score
ce21b73a1e996a02c0a6415cdf7866485ae4a9e46edf964df43730c0d8fb94afbef55f77c93fcbdde3d1b256693c9e378f450dfcf2fd373af666f2988d87994f.jpeg

The last time I saw my dad, Dale Williams, we met on a local “hwy” between Delta, Colorado and Nucla, Colorado. My car had broken down and we were exchanging vehicles.

Two weeks later, he vanished. I can’t tell you how thankful I am now to remember that I told him I loved him on that mountain road.

On May 27, 1999 my dad and his friend were taking a lunch break visiting and playing a game of darts in his body shop. A call came in from a stranded motorist needing a jump. My dad was a do-gooder and our very small community knew he would help anyone when needed. He volunteered, he was fun, he had many friends, two daughters, a wife, 2 businesses - life seemed ok!

My dad let his friend know the basic details of the call and his friend overheard many important details, including that my dad said he’d bring his wrecker, then changed to his pickup. The caller was in paradox valley near the Bedrock Store. He said his goodbyes and headed out.
He stopped by his best buddies work place and let his wife know that he’d get to their windshield later and he was headed to help themotorist. Personally, I think he may have known something was up and stopped by to see if his friend could go with him, but he wasn’t there - and continued on.

That was the last time anyone talked or saw my father. Although there are reports that his truck was seen at his shop again in the evening, it’s not confirmed.

When my dad didn’t come home that night, my mom became worried, called my grandmother (his mom) and they went searching. After no luck all day they reported him missing to the police that evening. A day later I received a call at my school in Delta asking if I’d seen my father, I hadn’t, nor talked to him, packed up and headed to Nucla.

When I arrived, they had a search party arranged of volunteers, 100s of community member (our little community was only abt 800 people or so). We searched for many days with nothing. No clues, just... air. I will never forget the look of despair from officer mcclellen that night. The pain he felt for us.

A few weeks later, a family was swimming and fishing in a locally known swimming hole near theconfluence in Uravan, Colorado, roughly 30 minutes from Nucla. Their lure was caught on something and the son swam down to release it. He found that the lure was hooked on my dads truck, submerged under 13’ of water. Authorities were called, and they pulled the vehicle.

There were mistakes made at this point, and I believe it was primarily due to inexperienced officers in something like this. No one’s gone missing from Nucla, and many of these officers were friends of my dad! I know they did the best they could with what they knew, after all, my dad was these officer’s friend too.

The truck was pulled with a backhoe and nothing was set up to catch floating objects from the truck. This is confirmed by the kid who found the truck as he offered to swim and get it! They told him no.

The truck was not driven by my father into the river. The window was rolled down, it was walked in with the engine on wipers on and at a low crawl speed turned at a sharp angle.

At this point I guess important to tell you about the ex friend. My parents moved his wife out of state to safety without his knowledge. They never spoke of it, and didn’t tell anyone. Several weeks later my dads shop was broken into with pictures of the four of them torn up and scattered among bullets. Thegun was gone, and was Peter returned in my moms movie store drop box.

This same x-friend was caught camera removing my dads missing posters from the post office over several weeks time.

He has taken a polygraph.

And that’s my dads case. It’s been 20 years this May. No credible leads, no arrests. And like most small towns... everyone’s mouths are sealed tight.

The day my dad went missing, an unknown man went to my work asking for me. I was off. And when they told him I wasn’t there, he went across the street and talked on a pay phone for 10-15 minutes. I found this out this year! I’m 39 now. Was I to meet my fathers doom? Who was this guy and why wasn’t I told about this incident 20 years ago?

Also, my sister and I were never questioned or asked about my father, not even the last time we talked or saw him until 2013 by our current investigator. We weren’t approached by the city, county, CBI or FBI.

Also the tool box that was bolted to my dads truck was removed and missing from it when they pulled thetruck. It’s never been found, but the lid was... many years later in the same area. Many of my dads tools were discovered strewn through themountains - the complete opposite direction of where the truck was found. They still find them, my dad had engraved his initials on many and that is how they have been identified as his. I believe whoever took my dad, did this to throw authorizes off from finding thetruck.

Now for the links:
Unsolved Mysteries: The Mysterious Disappearance of Dale Williams - Unsolved Mysteries

CBI: Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Dale Williams

Pictures of where the motorist supposedly was: LEADS – WHERE IS DALE WILLIAMS?

As you will see Bedrock and Paradox are in a DEEP canyon. This is 1999. There is no way there was cell service in that area. No way.

Facebook: Missing: Dale Williams

I did an AMA on Reddit in 2018: My dad is a missing person and was featured on Unsolved Mysteries, AMA : AMA

No one is talking and when this happened the people involved were in their 40s. They are all 60 now and many people in the area have died or moved away. My grandmother died not knowing what happened to her son.

We just want answers. Everyone does, and we and the CBI need all the help we can get!

May 23 2019
20 years later, case of missing Colorado man still cold
"We believe learning more information about the motorist who called Mr. Williams is a critical part of this investigation, but we are looking for any details regarding his disappearance," Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent Brooks Bennett said in a CBI news release Thursday.

Bennett said agents are still actively working the case, hoping someone will come forward "with that key piece of information" that will help investigators determine what happened to Williams.

He was last seen on May 27, 1999, at a family market in Naturita, just south of Nucla, according to his entry in the CBI cold case database . He was wearing a blue t-shirt and blue jeans and driving his 1994 white Ford pickup truck.

Williams was believed to be on his way to help the stranded motorist in the Paradox Valley, northwest of Naturita and Nucla. But Williams never arrived, authorities said.

Five weeks later, in July of that year, Williams' pickup truck was found submerged where the Dolores and San Miguel rivers meet, about 20 miles northwest of Nucla. There were no signs of Williams.

Anyone with information about his disappearance is asked to contact the CBI Grand Junction Regional Office at 970-248-7500."

Dale Duane Williams – The Charley Project
Dale Duane Williams

• dale_duane_williams_1.jpg
  • dale_duane_williams_2.jpg
  • dale_duane_williams_3.jpg
  • dale_duane_williams_4.jpg
Williams, circa 1999
  • Missing Since 05/27/1999
  • Missing From Nucla, Colorado
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 07/15/1956 (62)
  • Age 42 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7, 170 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A dark blue t-shirt and jeans.
  • Medical Conditions Williams was taking medication for an unspecified condition at the time of his 1999 disappearance. He left his prescription behind at his residence when he vanished.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Graying brown hair, blue eyes. Williams has a receding hairline and may have a full beard. He has scars under his chin and on each of his jawbones, and a birthmark under his left jaw."
"Torn photographs featuring Williams and the man's family were discovered outside the Pro Body Shop shortly afterwards, and there were .22-caliber bullets were also scattered near the scene.

Williams's wife operated a local video store and found her husband's .22-caliber revolver inside the nighttime drop box several weeks later. Authorities believe that someone broke into Williams's business and stole the photos and the gun.

Investigators questioned the couple's former friend, who denied involvement in the burglaries. He explained his whereabouts during the time Williams disappeared and investigators dismissed the individual as a possible suspect."

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation is asking the public for help with a decades-old cold case. On May 27, 1999, Dale Williams went missing just north of Telluride. According to the Montrose County Sheriff's Office, Williams, the owner of a body shop in the Western Slope town of Nuclahad, had gone to find a stranded driver who called for help.

Two months later, his 1994 white Ford truck was found in the Dolores River. Leading up to the 20th anniversary of his disappearance, detectives are searching for more clues about the stranded motorist. They told the Cortez Journal, that no clue is too small. The Williams case was also at the center of an "Unsolved Mysteries" episode in 2017.

To report a tip in connection with this case, please call the CBI Grand Junction Regional Office at 970-248-7500.

Public's help needed in 20 year old Colorado unsolved murder case

First, I want to say how sorry I am for your loss. I grew up in Olathe had had a lot of family and friends in the Nucla/Norwood area. I remember hearing about this when it happened, I was just going into high school. When I came across this thread it broke my heart all over again that it has yet to have enough solid evidence to be solved. I want to send love to your family and hope you guys can get closure. From what I remember he was an amazing man

Wow, I just read about your father's case on a Facebook post today, and I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry that you and your family have had to endure 20 years of not knowing. I can't begin to imagine what that feels like.

The "ex-friend" bothers me a lot. I noticed the words you chose in providing his background info: "My parents moved his wife out of state to safety without his knowledge." That to me sounds like he was an abusive husband, capable of violent retaliation, which is why moving the wife had to be done in secret. How did he react when he eventually found out that, though?

I mean, we already know one way he reacted—he repeatedly tore down your father's missing posters, an aggressive act essentially meaning "good riddance." True, that doesn't necessarily translate into direct involvement.

But what about indirect involvement? I understand "he has taken a polygraph" (were the results released?) and "explained his whereabouts during the time Williams disappeared" and was "dismissed." But could he have had someone else do it?

And then there's the incident of the unidentified person asking for you at your job on the day your dad disappeared. I can't believe that's a coincidence. And so if it's related, then to me, that's personal—meaning, it's someone that knows you and your family.

Did this person come looking for you in the morning? I notice you said the call to your dad came during a "lunch break." Could the ex-friend have originally targeted you in order to punish your father for helping to move the wife away? When the person hired by the ex-friend was told you weren't there, he then called the ex-friend, and in 10-15 minutes they came up with plan B, staging a fake incident to lure your dad.

All of this is just my opinion, and it's not my intention to point fingers or create fear, but this is just the sense I can make right now from what you've written.

Wow, I just read about your father's case on a Facebook post today, and I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry that you and your family have had to endure 20 years of not knowing. I can't begin to imagine what that feels like.
Thank you so much.

The "ex-friend" bothers me a lot. I noticed the words you chose in providing his background info: "My parents moved his wife out of state to safety without his knowledge." That to me sounds like he was an abusive husband, capable of violent retaliation, which is why moving the wife had to be done in secret. How did he react when he eventually found out that, though?

I mean, we already know one way he reacted—he repeatedly tore down your father's missing posters, an aggressive act essentially meaning "good riddance." True, that doesn't necessarily translate into direct involvement.
From what I understand, now, yes. Abusive, manipulative, etc.

But what about indirect involvement? I understand "he has taken a polygraph" (were the results released?) and "explained his whereabouts during the time Williams disappeared" and was "dismissed." But could he have had someone else do it?
It's my opinion, and many others, that if people believe what they are saying or are able to control their emotions well, it's pretty easy to pass a polygraph - and that's why they aren't upheld in court. I don't care about the results of his poly... I believe there's indirect involvement and assistance. Even if he didn't have involvement - definitely wasn't a one-man job. The caller was a woman. So, there are others who know what happened to my dad. I think at this point we are hoping for a deathbed confession. I need a PI or someone to ask hard, consistent questions in Nucla, over and over until someone breaks.

And then there's the incident of the unidentified person asking for you at your job on the day your dad disappeared. I can't believe that's a coincidence. And so if it's related, then to me, that's personal—meaning, it's someone that knows you and your family.

Did this person come looking for you in the morning? I notice you said the call to your dad came during a "lunch break." Could the ex-friend have originally targeted you in order to punish your father for helping to move the wife away? When the person hired by the ex-friend was told you weren't there, he then called the ex-friend, and in 10-15 minutes they came up with plan B, staging a fake incident to lure your dad.

All of this is just my opinion, and it's not my intention to point fingers or create fear, but this is just the sense I can make right now from what you've written.
This legitimately scared me, I don't live in the area anymore, and had moved out of state by the time I'd found out. My great aunt and uncle have since passed away. I don't know if they were the ones who talked to this person or if he talked to an employee. I believe it was in the afternoon. Delta is a pretty small area as well. It wouldn't have been difficult to track me down - so I may have been in Grand Junction. I really don't know.

We have recently started a Campaign to try and receive more funds towards the case, a reward, anything to further it. We do have Crimestoppers and CBI's blessing. I am hoping that we get enough to significantly raise the reward for information leading to an arrest - an amount large enough to make someone WANT to talk and tell us what happened, and where he is.

That link is the .com then /dalewilliams if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try to stay more on top of signing in and replying

Thank you so much.

From what I understand, now, yes. Abusive, manipulative, etc.

It's my opinion, and many others, that if people believe what they are saying or are able to control their emotions well, it's pretty easy to pass a polygraph - and that's why they aren't upheld in court. I don't care about the results of his poly... I believe there's indirect involvement and assistance. Even if he didn't have involvement - definitely wasn't a one-man job. The caller was a woman. So, there are others who know what happened to my dad. I think at this point we are hoping for a deathbed confession. I need a PI or someone to ask hard, consistent questions in Nucla, over and over until someone breaks.

This legitimately scared me, I don't live in the area anymore, and had moved out of state by the time I'd found out. My great aunt and uncle have since passed away. I don't know if they were the ones who talked to this person or if he talked to an employee. I believe it was in the afternoon. Delta is a pretty small area as well. It wouldn't have been difficult to track me down - so I may have been in Grand Junction. I really don't know.

We have recently started a ******** Campaign to try and receive more funds towards the case, a reward, anything to further it. We do have Crimestoppers and CBI's blessing. I am hoping that we get enough to significantly raise the reward for information leading to an arrest - an amount large enough to make someone WANT to talk and tell us what happened, and where he is.

That link is the .com then /dalewilliams if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try to stay more on top of signing in and replying

Thank you so much for your response—and especially for the additional information you've provided.

I hadn't realized the caller was a woman! I think this was intentional, as a female caller would've sounded less suspicious than a man. (Although the Unsolved Mysteries segment suggests he still "felt uneasy about who he was going to give a tow to.") Dale might've been more inclined to help a woman because I'm sure he would've wanted the same for you or your sister, if you had been in that position.

I agree with everything you said about the ex-friend and polygraphs. We've seen cases on here where the guilty party had actually passed one, so they're not always reliable.

And I agree that this was not a one-man job. I feel like there are at least three people involved: the female caller, the unknown man who asked for you, and the actual assailant. I doubt the assailant and the unknown man are the same individual because it would've been risky to show himself in public like that. Plus who was he on the phone with?

Did LE ever check who/where the call to Dale came from? Or what outgoing calls were made on the payphone near your job on that day? I don't know how much info would still be extant 20 years later, but someone like a PI would definitely know more than we do.

Have you considered officially becoming a Verified Insider for this case on here? As Dale's daughter, you would certainly qualify, and my understanding is that you wouldn't need to back up any claims or opinions with mainstream media posts. That might lead you to connect with other professionals on here who could help. On this site, I've seen law enforcement officials, private investigators, even forensic sketch artists who provide valuable insight and assistance to many different cases.

I hope this helps!

I just sent the email to become a Verified Insider :)
I'm starting a new job at the beginning of next year that will allow me to put a little more time into things like these where my dad is concerned - I am hoping that if I am more consistent with answering questions that I can about his case, it'll pick up more traffic

I hadn't realized the caller was a woman! I think this was intentional, as a female caller would've sounded less suspicious than a man. (Although the Unsolved Mysteries segment suggests he still "felt uneasy about who he was going to give a tow to.") Dale might've been more inclined to help a woman because I'm sure he would've wanted the same for you or your sister, if you had been in that position.

We believe the caller was a female, and whether they knew of any further plan, I don't know. Maybe someone convinced her it would be a fun joke.

Did LE ever check who/where the call to Dale came from? Or what outgoing calls were made on the payphone near your job on that day? I don't know how much info would still be extant 20 years later, but someone like a PI would definitely know more than we do.
I believe they tried to. It was 1999, so it was a lot harder to track someone down. I think it was a burner phone and that the call was NOT made anywhere near Bedrock. For one, if there's cell service there now, there definitely wasn't then. I am pretty sure that the owners of the Bedrock Store knew my dad, everyone knew him, and if, big 'if', it was a stranded motorist that called from the store for assistance, it's likely that the owners would have suggested my father. But again, I want to reiterate that I do not think the person who called was a stranded motorist. I think it was someone the assailant knew and manipulated them somehow into calling my dad - and that my dad, likely knew the person calling but may not have recognized their voice because he just knew them - not spent any significant time with them. I think that if they told my dad who they were on the phone, that my dad would have told Tom Ross who he was going to help.

Netflix just announced that they will be picking up Unsolved Mysteries. My dad's case aired on September 17, 2002. I am desperately trying to find a way to get into contact with them, but cannot find a link or a number or anything to try to get my dad's case on the upcoming episodes. If anyone has any ideas or contacts please contact me directly!

ALL-NEW UNSOLVED MYSTERIES COMING TO NETFLIX AS A GLOBAL ORIGINAL DOCUMENTARY SERIES

Hey Websleuths- join us live tonight (Tuesday 7/12)at 9PM Eastern as we dive into the puzzling disappearance of Dale Williams.

You will be able to ask questions in chat, share theories, call in to leave voice mails, etc
Leave us a voice mail at- https://www.speakpipe.com/citizendetective
Where do you tune in to take part, or watch?
Our Facebook homepage:
https://www.facebook.com/CitizenDetectivePodcast
Our Youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSgvqIuf4-sEF2aDdNGip2w
Our Twitch page:
https://www.twitch.tv/citizendetective
On Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CitizenDPod

Hey Websleuths- join us live tonight (Tuesday 7/12)at 9PM Eastern as we dive into the puzzling disappearance of Dale Williams.

You will be able to ask questions in chat, share theories, call in to leave voice mails, etc
Leave us a voice mail at- https://www.speakpipe.com/citizendetective
Where do you tune in to take part, or watch?
Our Facebook homepage:
https://www.facebook.com/CitizenDetectivePodcast
Our Youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSgvqIuf4-sEF2aDdNGip2w
Our Twitch page:
https://www.twitch.tv/citizendetective
On Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CitizenDPod
Join us live in 15 minutes

That being said, the podcast episode on Dale's case is out

Last edited by a moderator:
Means, Motive and Opportunity

Twelve months before Dale vanished, he and Diana had helped move the man’s ex-wife to another state without his knowledge. Diana thinks this was the basis for a motive:

“He was angry at Dale for helping his ex-wife move. And then we wouldn’t tell him where she was or anything like that. And I feel like he was really angry with Dale for that.”
A month after the move, Diana said that Dale found some disturbing items outside his shop:

“He went to work and he noticed some pictures torn up there. Just lying all over the ground.”
The torn photographs had been stolen from his shop. They were pictures of Dale and Diana with their now divorced friends. Several .22-caliber rounds were scattered on the ground. A few days later, Diana made a strange discovery in the drop box at the video store she managed: a .22 caliber revolver. The gun — like the torn photos — had been stolen from Dale’s shop:

“I was really nervous ’cause I didn’t know what to think. And Dale just told me to not worry about it, things would be okay and things will settle down. Whatever happened, it was more to scare him, he felt like, than anything.”

The Mysterious Disappearance of Dale Williams - Unsolved Mysteries

Seems open and shut to me. What's the hold up on arresting this guy?
Did LEO fingerprint the gun dropped into the return box at Dale's wife's video store, the .22 rounds of ammo or the torn photographs?

We cannot do their normally expected police work for them.

Means, Motive and Opportunity

Twelve months before Dale vanished, he and Diana had helped move the man’s ex-wife to another state without his knowledge. Diana thinks this was the basis for a motive:

A month after the move, Diana said that Dale found some disturbing items outside his shop:

The torn photographs had been stolen from his shop. They were pictures of Dale and Diana with their now divorced friends. Several .22-caliber rounds were scattered on the ground. A few days later, Diana made a strange discovery in the drop box at the video store she managed: a .22 caliber revolver. The gun — like the torn photos — had been stolen from Dale’s shop:

The Mysterious Disappearance of Dale Williams - Unsolved Mysteries

Seems open and shut to me. What's the hold up on arresting this guy?
Did LEO fingerprint the gun dropped into the return box at Dale's wife's video store, the .22 rounds of ammo or the torn photographs?

We cannot do their normally expected police work for them.
Because the two things may NOT be connected, and there is no evidence or witness implicating this guy. Not to mention, would Dale have trusted this guy to meet him out in the middle of nowhere for car trouble help? Probably not, meaning if he was involved- he had an accomplice most likely. Who was that person?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back