WI WI - Nicholas Hietpas, 22, & dog, vehicle found abandoned in Oconto Co., Appleton, 1 Apr 2019

A couple questions;
If a bear came onto the camp site as he was setting up, wouldn't there have been some indication of an attack?
How did Samantha's collar come to be on the other side of the highway an be lying on a side road, unclasped. Smart bear?
Where were NH's wallet, keys found? If they were not found,does that mean he stopped during a bear attack and picked them up before he chased the bear to save Samantha?
A tarp and gear were found outside the vehicle, were they just being unloaded or was he in the act of packing up to return home?
Was the dog food he brought for Samantha and his own food nearly gone or were they untouched because he had just started to pitch his camp site?

Still so many unanswered questions for me. I wonder if LE and the parents have the answers or were they never explored.

Maybe the dog got hit by a car or injured and he removed the collar to tend her. The information is a bit vague on somethings as said above.

Too much we aren't privy to, but that is what it is. Deputies or SARs confirm bear tracks in the area. Bear always unpredictable, but if LE has signs at the scene we don't know. There's also the possibility of ruthless locals. Meth problem in many rural forested areas. Could they have happened upon a calndestine cook site ? Have been told by residents of Wi that a lot of local constabulary do not pursue missing adults aggressively because these people have a right to walk away from their lives. I respect that . However sometimes what we see as odd or troublesome LE doesn't. Will keep searching media up there and Keep them and the family in my prayers. Always think hope they are warm and safe. Avid hikers are extremely resourceful ! MOO

Last edited:
I can understand if LE does not release information when they suspect foul play but if they don't and they consider it accidental or a walk away from his life why wouldn't they release everything they know about the camp site, what was there and what was missing etc. They would have nothing to lose and everything to gain, I would think. MOO MOO

Wish we knew, but all we have isn't much. Will keep a lookout in media up there. Deer season,more activity maybe that will turn up sign of them. Before winter sets in. MOO

What sort of surprises me is that none of his friends from home, or co-workers etc. have ever even speculated on SM as to what they thought may have been the reason he went up there that weekend or what they think may have happened. Total crickets and that seems very strange to me. Absolutely no one has talked about it that I can find.

Yes Thanks very much. Haven't checked up there this week, I will try tomorrow. Awful cold now getting some snow Hoping hunters will find signs of them if they hiked back into the woods towards the lake. Any cheeseheads know how the fishing is on Shadow Lake ? TIA

Ive spent a lot of time in Chequomegon Forest around that area grouse hunting in Fall and morel hunting in May. I have been through the tornado scar as well that's mentioned.

1. Seriously doubt black bear attack. Very rare and usually when cubs around which isn't in April. Typically if I come across bears, they bolt and run like the wind.

2. Criminal activity happens in this woods. Large pot grows by Mexican Nationals were found a few years ago, 100s of plants found BUT wrong time of year, more of a concern in August. However, mobile Meth labs, and bad people seek isolation there at times. Friend of mine came across two guys while hiking, and by morning, one had shot and killed the other. I always take a gun when I go in.

Just some thoughts.

I have always been leaning toward this scenario. Particularly since LE has not released ANY information about the camp site, or what was found or not found there. The most puzzling piece for me is where is Samantha and mostly, how did her collar become unclasped and dropped a distance away and who did that.

Perhaps he stumbled upon something and as a “breadcrumb” he unlatched, re-latched, then tossed the dog collar. It is one thing to find an unlatched dog collar, easy to explain it was a safety collar that pops apart if snagged. An intact, latched dog collar is a sign.

Perhaps he stumbled upon something and as a “breadcrumb” he unlatched, re-latched, then tossed the dog collar. It is one thing to find an unlatched dog collar, easy to explain it was a safety collar that pops apart if snagged. An intact, latched dog collar is a sign.
The collar was reportedly found on a road, unclasped. It would have to have been caught on something to pop apart, but it was just laying there. I can think of several different reasons for the collar to be there but none of them make any real sense.

Had hoped that with the hunters being out there would be some sign of them. Always have them in my prayers. Tonight please pray for Nicholas family and friends.. it's gotta be gut wrenching. Every time there's a new post I stop and take a deep breath.Hope he gets home ❤️ MOO

Seems that vehicle abandoned in odd or out of the way place no sign of the person. Looks like they just walked away. Search yields nothing. Vanished ...but that cannot be. Where are Nicholas and Samantha ????? It is not right .....

MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288