TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make sure she wasn’t getting back up IMO. What a risk tho. The killing and the drive by afterward. MOO
That's what the husband said as well. And Liz was still alive for more than a day afterward despite being shot 4 times. Even though it sounds like a hit, she was shot at close range and survived for that long, so does that mean this was an inexperienced shooter; I don't have a clue.

Great to hear that the Texas Rangers are involved now. With their resources and experience, hopefully they solve this sooner rather than later. Interesting to hear the detective believing that there are multiple suspects involved. I’ve gone back and forth on this, but now do think it’s a man in costume. Just the way they lean over, take the last shot, and run off looks like a male to me. Everything is really planned out well by the murderer, so I think a costume would be part of the plan to throw off any witnesses if there were any while actually committing it in the killer’s mind. I wonder if they covered up the license plates on the truck while carrying out the murder too?

Can you please link to the source that states the Texas Rangers are involved?
Many thanks.

That's what the husband said as well. And Liz was still alive for more than a day afterward despite being shot 4 times. Even though it sounds like a hit, she was shot at close range and survived for that long, so does that mean this was an inexperienced shooter; I don't have a clue.

Can you please link to the source that the states the husband (or anyone) said the perp’s truck came back to the scene of the crime?

Interesting:

The truck was there the night before and again AFTER the murder?

So this was planned, staked out, and the killer returned to the area. LE knows exactly what model truck but they haven't been able to connect a person who owns one of these and Liz. This was definitely not a random nut with no connection to Liz (one of my original theories).

"Ritchie said his best clue is the suspect’s truck, a Nissan Frontier 4x4. Investigators were able to get several pieces of surveillance video from people living in the neighborhood and nearby businesses. The videos showed the truck in the neighborhood the night before and again after the murder."

Can you please post the MSM source for this quote?

Interesting:

The truck was there the night before and again AFTER the murder?

So this was planned, staked out, and the killer returned to the area. LE knows exactly what model truck but they haven't been able to connect a person who owns one of these and Liz. This was definitely not a random nut with no connection to Liz (one of my original theories).

"Ritchie said his best clue is the suspect’s truck, a Nissan Frontier 4x4. Investigators were able to get several pieces of surveillance video from people living in the neighborhood and nearby businesses. The videos showed the truck in the neighborhood the night before and again after the murder."
Can you please post the MSM source for this quote?
Not the OP, but I think I found the msm source for the quote:

Tomball woman's murder remains a mystery | khou.com
Tomball murder mystery: Who killed Elizabeth Barraza?

Liz was still alive for more than a day afterward despite being shot 4 times.

Even though it sounds like a hit, she was shot at close range and survived for that long, so does that mean this was an inexperienced shooter; I don't have a clue.

Experienced hitman are probably extremely rare outside of the narco cartel world. Thus, I would say that if it were an arranged 'hit', the murderer was not experienced.

As for being an experienced shooter..... studies have shown that the abilities of even experienced paper target range shooters can deteriorate significantly in real world situations. Therefore, it could be impossible to tell if the shooter was an experienced range shooter or a novice.

Looking at the footage, the shooter did manage to hit the victim four times while under stress. This could point towards an experienced shooter. Then again, the range was very close and the shooter did not seem to be using advanced techniques such as trained stances, 'double taps' etc. This could equally indicate a novice shooter who got lucky.

Experienced hitman are probably extremely rare outside of the narco cartel world. Thus, I would say that if it were an arranged 'hit', the murderer was not experienced.

As for being an experienced shooter..... studies have shown that the abilities of even experienced paper target range shooters can deteriorate significantly in real world situations. Therefore, it could be impossible to tell if the shooter was an experienced range shooter or a novice.

Looking at the footage, the shooter did manage to hit the victim four times while under stress. This could point towards an experienced shooter. Then again, the range was very close and the shooter did not seem to be using advanced techniques such as trained stances, 'double taps' etc. This could equally indicate a novice shooter who got lucky.

That's really helpful, thanks. I didn't know any of that.

I think she was kept “alive” in the hospital only because she was a donor. If I had to guess, she was probably brain dead immediately after being shot. 3 to the chest & 1 to the head, or 2 & 2 that up close, just seems the most likely outcome imo.

To make sure she wasn’t getting back up IMO. What a risk tho. The killing and the drive by afterward. MOO

My opinion is that the perp’s truck did not drive by the scene again after the shooting. I believe the statement below of HCSO homicide investigator Ritchie refers to residential or business security video showing the truck leaving the neighborhood.

Ritchie said his best clue is the suspect’s truck, a Nissan Frontier 4x4. Investigators were able to get several pieces of surveillance video from people living in the neighborhood and nearby businesses. The videos showed the truck in the neighborhood the night before and again after the murder.

Tomball murder mystery: Who killed Elizabeth Barraza?

I've been popping in and out of the thread and came back to check progress. I am absolutely stunned that there hasn't been an arrest. Some *coward(s)* are remaining silent. All it's going to take is one anonymous call, and I suspect there is more than a couple people who know who did this. If they are smart, they will cooperate with the DA.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I think she was kept “alive” in the hospital only because she was a donor. If I had to guess, she was probably brain dead immediately after being shot. 3 to the chest & 1 to the head, or 2 & 2 that up close, just seems the most likely outcome imo.

I believe she was kept on life support until they could donate her organs.

I believe she was kept on life support until they could donate her organs.
She died about 30 hours later. Does the process take that long? I honestly don't know.

She died about 30 hours later. Does the process take that long? I honestly don't know.

Oh yes easily. It's not a quick process due to the legality of it as well as the importance or testing to make sure the person/ patient is an appropriate candidate for organ donation.

-First the patient has to be tested to be declared brain dead.
-Then the hospital contacts the donation center who contacts the family to discuss donation. If the patient is not a registered donor the family may not make their decision immediately and might take some time to discuss it.
-Once family decides or it's confirmed patient was registered as a donor then the organ donation center has to do a complete medical workup and history on a patient. (I've been the nurse on the phone with the donation center reading them off every lab result the patients had done, every medication we had given the patient ect.) They need copies of old medical records ect.
-Once patient is confirmed to be a good donor they will complete the matching process which I believe is computerized to determine which person is the best match for each organ to be donated.
-The family is then given their time to say goodbye and transplant team will arrive and patient will be taken to the operating room for retrieval.

Oh yes easily. It's not a quick process due to the legality of it as well as the importance or testing to make sure the person/ patient is an appropriate candidate for organ donation.

-First the patient has to be tested to be declared brain dead.
-Then the hospital contacts the donation center who contacts the family to discuss donation. If the patient is not a registered donor the family may not make their decision immediately and might take some time to discuss it.
-Once family decides or it's confirmed patient was registered as a donor then the organ donation center has to do a complete medical workup and history on a patient. (I've been the nurse on the phone with the donation center reading them off every lab result the patients had done, every medication we had given the patient ect.) They need copies of old medical records ect.
-Once patient is confirmed to be a good donor they will complete the matching process which I believe is computerized to determine which person is the best match for each organ to be donated.
-The family is then given their time to say goodbye and transplant team will arrive and patient will be taken to the operating room for retrieval.

Thank you, that's very helpful!

This reminds me a bit of the Dan Markel case. When they (the hitmen) left the residence after shooting Markel, the neighbor was able to describe the vehicle. The police checked the turnpike for green Prius's and bingo they found it traveling to Miami. The 2 men had rented the car at a place not generally known to the public. Very little paperwork was exchanged. These quick thinking detectives also pulled video off the buses that day and they got great video of the perps in the car.

So I wonder if the truck was rented at a podunk place somewhere far from Houston. And if there weren't cameras or tolls out on the highway, there would be no way to track the direction of the vehicle. Small chance this is the case but thought I'd mention it.

This reminds me a bit of the Dan Markel case. When they (the hitmen) left the residence after shooting Markel, the neighbor was able to describe the vehicle. The police checked the turnpike for green Prius's and bingo they found it traveling to Miami. The 2 men had rented the car at a place not generally known to the public. Very little paperwork was exchanged. These quick thinking detectives also pulled video off the buses that day and they got great video of the perps in the car.

So I wonder if the truck was rented at a podunk place somewhere far from Houston. And if there weren't cameras or tolls out on the highway, there would be no way to track the direction of the vehicle. Small chance this is the case but thought I'd mention it.
bbm
It doesn't sound that far-fetched to me, @Razz. If whoever-did-this was planning this somewhat intelligently, seems to me, s/he would take the time to be as "unknown" as possible. And we've all agreed, that with the shooter being costumed, the vehicle is very important for trying to find this ~person~. If a podunk (delighted to see that wonderful little word!) car rental place was indeed used, I feel sure that the renter would look at the money more closely than the face of the person who was renting it. And this angle would really IMO be a tuff one to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361