OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, those fishes must have thought are we really safe with this guy around..:)

There are definetely some ways to "go"... remember to see a tv-show named something like the most remarkable deaths, where one guy went to feed his kittens outside, he slipped, hit his head and passed out and ended up face-down on the bowl where the kittens were drinking from, since his mouth was enough submerged in the water, it triggered a reflex in the throat which prevented him from breathing, so even though his nose wasn't submerged he basically died of asphyxiation...

Last edited:
yeah, those fishes must have thought are we really safe with this guy around..:)

There are definetely some ways to "go"... remember to see a tv-show named something like the most remarkable deaths, where one guy went to feed his kittens outside, he slipped, hit his head and passed out and ended up face-down on the bowl where the kittens were drinking from, since his mouth was enough submerged in the water, it triggered a reflex in the throat which prevented him from breathing, so even though his nose wasn't submerged he basically died of asphyxiation...
O/t The goldfish were at least a foot long, they might have had a feast with this tiny gal!

Now I have a bit of information that just came to me today. I was talking to the PI on Brian’s Case and he received something interesting in the mail. I have his permission to share this with you. He received a letter with no return address, but with some contents. The envelope and the letter were both typed. The only identifying thing from the letter is the postal stamp(which I can’t disclose yet). The contents and the letter give the PI reason to believe Brian is alive. I will update with more once I have it, but this sounds very promising. I’m not trying to be cryptic just trying to wait until we have more details. The information in the past week has been more promising than anything we have ever heard before.

Is this still current (sept30)? Maybe there's something on the next episode...

Might not be the next episode, as I think that might be part two of the John Hurst interview.

The PI with the letter is Don Corbett.

I'm just "guessing" now, but if there been something to it, at par with the post written, it feels like we would have found out by now?....But who's to say and X-mas is just around the corner.. boy would that be a good present if we got to know some info like that..

I'm just "guessing" now, but if there been something to it, at par with the post written, it feels like we would have found out by now?....But who's to say and X-mas is just around the corner.. boy would that be a good present if we got to know some info like that..
I tend to agree with you that there probably isn't anything to it. A case like this provides fodder for any number of hoaxes. Unfortunately, LE has to expend resources running every bogus lead to ground.

Columbus Dispatch, Sep 15, 2008

Sunday’s windstorm killed two central Ohio men, including the father of missing Ohio State University medical student Brian Shaffer. State officials put the death toll statewide at six, and it could go higher. Randall A. Shaffer, 55, was thought to have been walking to a backyard shed when he was struck and killed by a falling limb behind his home in Baltimore, Fairfield County Sheriff Dave Phalen said. Neighbors found his body this morning and he was pronounced dead by the county coroner’s office. Randy Shaffer was a familiar face to many in central Ohio who followed his well-publicized search to find his son. Brian Shaffer has been missing since April 1, 2006. Shaffer’s wife, Renee, died of cancer the month before their son disappeared. “Certainly he was a tragic figure with everything that happened before last night,” Alexis Waggoner, Brian’s girlfriend, said today as she absorbed the shock of the elder Shaffer’s death. In Baltimore in northern Fairfield County, neighbors on Clark Drive were asked to look for Shaffer after he didn’t show up for his job with Midway Electric, said Waggoner. His death leaves Derek Shaffer, Brian’s 26-year-old brother, as possibly the last survivor of the family. “To go from four to one in such a short time is just sad,” Waggoner said.
image_randy_shaffer_280.jpg

The whole funny smell in Yelp review seems pretty unlikely to be related. One, the Gateway theater is on the 2nd floor of the building and not really in the vicinity of the construction area/Sunflower Market area. One would think that the more proximate businesses like Mad Mex (first floor just north of Sunflower construction area) would be more likely to smell a dead body. Additionally if you think about how many customers of the various businesses in that building, and only a few report a bad smell? Much more likely to be a plumbing issue for example. I’ve frequented those establishments plenty of times before, during, and after his disappearance and no smell was ever evident to me.

the fact Brian’s phone doesn’t respond to pings abruptly at the time the bar is closing, then a couple days later starts responding, doesn’t line up with an accident theory. How does his phone ever come back on if he’s trapped in the building? To me this points to Brian likely successfully exiting the building. At that point, he could have disappeared purposefully or met with foul play.

The whole funny smell in Yelp review seems pretty unlikely to be related. One, the Gateway theater is on the 2nd floor of the building and not really in the vicinity of the construction area/Sunflower Market area. I would disagree - the elevator shaft (Hurst in his recent comments seemed to consider it part of the construction area), which was under construction and was a big hole in the ground when Brian went missing, is directly adjacent to the cinema. One would think that the more proximate businesses like Mad Mex (first floor just north of Sunflower construction area) would be more likely to smell a dead body perhaps patrons there did notice odor, we don't know. Additionally if you think about how many customers of the various businesses in that building, and only a few report a bad smell? Yelp was brand new at the time - most people had never heard of it. Most likely, others smelled same stench but didn't bother to go online and write it up. Tens of thousands have no doubt visited the cinema over the years, only a tiny percentage have left online reviews. Much more likely to be a plumbing issue for example. I’ve frequented those establishments plenty of times before, during, and after his disappearance and no smell was ever evident to me.

the fact Brian’s phone doesn’t respond to pings abruptly at the time the bar is closing, then a couple days later starts responding, doesn’t line up with an accident theory. Not sure you have this right. Brian's phone seemed to be either turned off or perhaps blocked from getting a steady signal, such as if buried or in a low interior spot for example. Cingular began pinging the phone later on Monday 2.5 days after Brian disappeared. At some point over the ensuing contracted 30 day ping period, pings from at least two towers reportedly reached the phone. No reason to think Brian's phone was unable to receive a ping from 2am Saturday till Monday, Cingular was not transmitting pings yet. How does his phone ever come back on if he’s trapped in the building? It probably didn't - if I understand correctly, phone needn't be on to receive system ping, just needs to have a charge (FWIW, I had a pre-smartphone phone thru Cingular till 2004, and it used to hold a charge for a week or so if not used much or at all). To me this points to Brian likely successfully exiting the building. At that point, he could have disappeared purposefully or met with foul play.
Perhaps he left the building, but CPD review of video evidence inside seems to suggest he may not have. Plus, he hasn't been seen anywhere outside the building in 13+ years, on vid or in person. Anywhere. I find it likely the reason he was never heard from post 2am is cuz he was dead. Perhaps his presumed death and seeming failure to exit the building with its active and 'completely dug up' construction area are linked...such as by causality...

See bolded above.

Last edited:
Much more likely to be a plumbing issue for example.

A year after Brian went missing, there was actually a lawsuit between the madmex and the UTS. Apparently some plumbing issue at the UTS caused a massive flooding of the mad mex restaurant, someone "funny" or "disturbed" wrote that it could have been Brian's body causing that , but...... No doubt there must have been some foul smell somewhere in the nearby areas because of that.

the fact Brian’s phone doesn’t respond to pings abruptly at the time the bar is closing, then a couple days later starts responding, doesn’t line up with an accident theory.

Who knows maybe Brian's phone was snatched from him - (happens to millions of people US alone)

Phone Theft in America: What really happens when your phone gets grabbed
"But once they’ve got your phone, what do thieves do? First, a thief is going to try to disable your phone.

- prior of him entering the construction area......

Or he might have lost it, forgot it somewhere, and someone took it and Brian didn't even notice before entering. Or it is the very reason why he entered that area to pursue some1. "How do you react? Well, try not to be like the 68 percent of people who put themselves in some amount of danger when their phone is stolen"

When the phone was turned on later on monday the culprit or person who found it didn't have the pin number to the sim card so they couldn't be making , receiving calls but the phone itself would still be pinging?

Last edited:
When the phone was turned on later on monday the culprit or person who found it didn't have the pin number to the sim card so they couldn't be making , receiving calls but the phone itself would still be pinging?
Do you know of any evidence the phone was turned on on Monday, April 3, 2006?

Do you know of any evidence the phone was turned on on Monday, April 3, 2006?

I should have wrote "If" the phone was turned on, in answer to that question. But if it starts pinging two days later , what's your assumption then? It must have been turned on or resurfaced from an area where there was no signal prior. Or what's your take

I should have wrote "If" the phone was turned on, in answer to that question. But if it starts pinging two days later , what's your assumption then? It must have been turned on or resurfaced from an area where there was no signal prior. Or what's your take
Its not my take so much as my understanding, based on info provided by others, that CPD paid Cingular to send pings through its network of towers for 30 day beginning on 4/3/06. The purpose was to determine, if any pings successfully reached Brian's phone, from which towers were such successful pings emitted. That would indicate which towers were within x number of miles - perhaps 20 miles or so - of Brian's phone at the time of the successful pings. Conversely, it proves where Brian's phone was. There were reportedly at least two successful pings from at least two towers. Both towers were in the Columbus metro area. Thus, Brian's phone was apparently in the Columbus area on those dates in April 2006 after he went missing. The phone may have been moved during that period, or it may not have (it could have received pings from more than one tower whilst having been in the same place unmoved).

It is my 'take'/opinion that
* Brian was very likely deceased by the time pings began on 4/3. Its not that he was hiding or on the run or being transported by some killer, but likely dead.
* Brian's phone likely then was and still is on his body
* Brian likely did not turn his phone off that early morn of 4/1/06
* Brian likely died in an accident, likely in the Gateway complex construction area
* Brian's phone likely never moved after the accident
* Brian's remains are likely in/under the Gateway complex to this day

In other words, the whole thing was likely just a stupid, unfortunate, drunken, freak accident, and the mystery persists simply because search of the premises (on Weds April 5 and Thurs April 6 if I understand correctly) was inadequate (did searchers there in the 'completely dug up' construction area move even a single shovel full of dirt? - not that I've heard) and thus failed. That is my take.

Last edited:
I’m not certainly dismissing that theory , its very well put togheter , the issue is if something is suggested that doesn’t follow that pattern then is one to dismiss that?

also needless to say LE doesn’t pursue this as one of the main theories because they are adamant they searched the construction area thoroughly and Hurst stated in the last episode it’s impossible Brian’s there. So are you to dismiss this entirely?

Now for the pings, do I understand it correctly you mean since they started pinging on monday they received feedback or a handshake from the phone, had they done it on saturday already they would have gotten the same result?

I’m not certainly dismissing that theory , its very well put togheter , the issue is if something is suggested that doesn’t follow that pattern then is one to dismiss that?

also needless to say LE doesn’t pursue this as one of the main theories because they are adamant they searched the construction area thoroughly and Hurst stated in the last episode it’s impossible Brian’s there. So are you to dismiss this entirely?

Now for the pings, do I understand it correctly you mean since they started pinging on monday they received feedback or a handshake from the phone, had they done it on saturday already they would have gotten the same result?
I've been following the discussions on this topic for a while
My understanding is that the answer is, "Yes, they would have gotten the same result if they had pinged the phone on Saturday."

Thank you @Looking4Brian . In follow up then,

-Did he do text messaging and were they able to get those?

-Was there anything in the calls and texts, in the days before and then after, indicating he had arranged to meet up with someone after leaving the UTS?

-Were there completed calls in which Brian actually talked to the person , or did they all go to voice mail?

-And did LE question / investigate everyone he had received calls from?

Thank you very much in advance!
Yes Brian did text some. CPD does have his text and call records And went through them in depth. I can’t speak to what his texts were about, but I know That there were no clues from the phone records. I do not have the text logs, but I have his call logs for several months before his disappearance. I personally called every person Brian spoke to the day he disappeared and several from the days and weeks before his disappearance. I didn’t get much from the records Other than finding out there were several other people out that night and that Brian had an after part planned at his house. From the time Brian was last seen on camera until the phone line was shut off there were no calls/texts made or answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708