OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot recall whether or not if there has been any discussion about Brian slipping out and up to the roof, was the roof searched too, is there a chimney?
It came to mind after reading this recent news..
Locked-out teen gets stuck in chimney
"Authorities say the 17-year-old girl and a friend were locked out of her home Wednesday night and tried to climb in through the chimney on the roof.

Firefighters say she became stuck above the chimney's flue and used her phone to call 911 and her sister."

I’m not certainly dismissing that theory , its very well put togheter , the issue is if something is suggested that doesn’t follow that pattern then is one to dismiss that?

also needless to say LE doesn’t pursue this as one of the main theories because they are adamant they searched the construction area thoroughly and Hurst stated in the last episode it’s impossible Brian’s there. So are you to dismiss this entirely?

Now for the pings, do I understand it correctly you mean since they started pinging on monday they received feedback or a handshake from the phone, had they done it on saturday already they would have gotten the same result?

So, yeah, Hurst made a perfect example of dismissing a theory - he says no way Brian died in the Gateway complex. So that is to dismiss, i.e. reject. Of course, Hurst has a vested interest in Brian's not having died in the complex. If Brian died there in the construction area, Hurst and CPD failed, their investigation was inadequate. Hurst says the construction area was completely dug up, including big hole at elevator shaft, yet I've never heard him say even a single shovel full of dirt was moved during the investigation...

I don't think I dismissed anything. It is one thing to dismiss/reject. It is another to argue the pros and cons, to try to keep myths and errors and misunderstandings from morphing through repetition into seeming facts, to speak in terms of probabilities and likelihoods...

Needless to say, I don't know what happened to Brian. But I have a theory, and it is not consistent with Hurst's stated view, that is for sure.

Last edited:
Yes Brian did text some. CPD does have his text and call records And went through them in depth. I can’t speak to what his texts were about, but I know That there were no clues from the phone records. I do not have the text logs, but I have his call logs for several months before his disappearance. I personally called every person Brian spoke to the day he disappeared and several from the days and weeks before his disappearance. I didn’t get much from the records Other than finding out there were several other people out that night and that Brian had an after part planned at his house. From the time Brian was last seen on camera until the phone line was shut off there were no calls/texts made or answered.
What time was the phone turned off or otherwise prevented from receiving a call/ringing? And how is the time known - by Cingular records, by the phone going straight to VM, or what? I know you had stated that Clint had texted Brian at 2:11am. Is the assumption that sometime between that successful text and a subsequent phone call that went to VM is the time when the phone was seemingly turned off or blocked from signal? Thx.

Last edited:
I have seen these reviews as well and they are actually the reason I initially thought Brian was killed and concealed in the building. They still intrigue me.
Have you, in your investigative efforts, ever encountered anyone who told you that they themselves smelled the stench in the Gateway complex?

So, yeah, Hurst made a perfect example of dismissing a theory - he says no way Brian died in the Gateway complex. So that is to dismiss, i.e. reject. Of course, Hurst has a vested interest in Brian's not having died in the complex. If Brian died there in the construction area, Hurst and CPD failed, their investigation was inadequate.

I don't think I dismissed anything. It is one thing to dismiss/reject. It is another to argue the pros and cons, to try to keep myths and errors and misunderstandings from morphing through repetition into seeming facts, to speak in terms of probabilities and likelihoods...

Needless to say, I don't know what happened to Brian. But I have a theory, and it is not consistent with Hurst's stated view, that is for sure.

I meant you as in oneself not you you..:) but anyways, It's all about likelihood in Brian's case almost. We'd sure need some expert-level feedback on a lot of things in this thread, starting with the pings amongst else...I don't see we have that luxury though...I'll dig deeper into the pings, pro-level, we're good at telecommunications where I'm from.

On Hurst, he said also that he goes by facts, he doesn't do opinions... and look where that's got the investigation of Brian Shaffer.

Question for Looking4Brian or Det. Hurst: I would love to get more clarification on the cell phone pings. Specifically, 1) would a phone that has battery power but is turned off respond to the ping? 2) would a phone that is powered on but not in range of cell service respond to the ping? And 3) would a phone with a dead battery respond to the ping?

I remember the cell phone days around that time and I would be surprised if Brian’s phone could last 30 days on battery after a full day/night of bar hopping and making calls and texts, unless it were charged at some point. (The statement made was “ Brian did not talk on his phone a lot so it was odd to me how many people he called that night.”)

Question for Looking4Brian or Det. Hurst: I would love to get more clarification on the cell phone pings. Specifically, 1) would a phone that has battery power but is turned off respond to the ping? 2) would a phone that is powered on but not in range of cell service respond to the ping? And 3) would a phone with a dead battery respond to the ping?

I remember the cell phone days around that time and I would be surprised if Brian’s phone could last 30 days on battery after a full day/night of bar hopping and making calls and texts, unless it were charged at some point. (The statement made was “ Brian did not talk on his phone a lot so it was odd to me how many people he called that night.”)
Good questions. My guesses, FWIW:
1) yes. Personally, I doubt Brian would have turned his phone off that eve with planned after-party pending and with GF out of town (might make her wonder)
2) no - phone situated too far from any tower in the provider's network means no successful ping
3) no - I think with no juice phone is basically a rock
As to how long battery power might have lasted, I'd guess 7-10 days or so in those pre-smartphone days before big displays and data rather than voice started sucking all the juice. I'd note that we don't know on which days that at least two pings reportedly successfully reached the phone during that 30 day period - prolly in the first 10 days or so before battery of Brian's phone presumably fully drained would be my guess.

This phone ping info is so interesting. To me, it seems to suggest that Brian's body remained in the Columbus area, perhaps within the Gateway complex just feet from where he was last seen. Others interpret the info as suggesting the Brian's phone was on the move, either with hiding Brian or with his killer(s).

Mobile phone tracking - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Yes Brian did text some. CPD does have his text and call records And went through them in depth. I can’t speak to what his texts were about, but I know That there were no clues from the phone records. I do not have the text logs, but I have his call logs for several months before his disappearance. I personally called every person Brian spoke to the day he disappeared and several from the days and weeks before his disappearance. I didn’t get much from the records Other than finding out there were several other people out that night and that Brian had an after part planned at his house. From the time Brian was last seen on camera until the phone line was shut off there were no calls/texts made or answered.
Thank you for this info. Is it just me or does it seem odd that given he was having an after party, he received no communication from any of those he had invited to the party when he didn’t show up? Also, is it known who was planning to attend the party, and if so I assume they were questioned by LE? TIA :)

I reheard the podcast where Kelly talks about saturday at 10 am and Meredith giving Clint a ride back to his car, which was parked at Brian apartment? If I heard the aforementioned correctly, it seems there was no attempt to contact Brian then, neither by Clint or Meredith, either by phone or physically checking his apartment. I mean they were eager to get hold of him like eight hours prior and now not so much, where they pissed because he had wandered off in that manner ealier?

Wasn't it Clint who alerted Brian's family that he hadn't heard from Brian from 2am when they were at the UTS?

I reheard the podcast where Kelly talks about saturday at 10 am and Meredith giving Clint a ride back to his car, which was parked at Brian apartment? If I heard the aforementioned correctly, it seems there was no attempt to contact Brian then, neither by Clint or Meredith, either by phone or physically checking his apartment. I mean they were eager to get hold of him like eight hours prior and now not so much, where they pissed because he had wandered off in that manner ealier?

Wasn't it Clint who alerted Brian's family that he hadn't heard from Brian from 2am when they were at the UTS?
Mozez, I don't recall having heard that about Sat at 10am. And I think I've listened to all the podcasts. Would like to listen again. Can you identify the podcast for me? Thx.

Mozez, I don't recall having heard that about Sat at 10am. And I think I've listened to all the podcasts. Would like to listen again. Can you identify the podcast for me? Thx.

found it, I was about to write and I checked the Q&A ep 5 on the older podcast but It's actually on the latest episode at round 36.00 , it's in the timeline given by Meredith.

Chapter Three: The Inside Track

(OT: how did Brian get back to his apt from the steakhouse, did he take his car back to his place, did Randy ride him home or did Clint pick him up at the steakhouse and they drove back to his apt? - Then from there they walked over to high street and the UTS? Around half an hours walk?)

Last edited:
found it, I was about to write and I checked the Q&A ep 5 on the older podcast but It's actually on the latest episode at round 36.00 , it's in the timeline given by Meredith.

Chapter Three: The Inside Track

(OT: how did Brian get back to his apt from the steakhouse, did he take his car back to his place, did Randy ride him home or did Clint pick him up at the steakhouse and they drove back to his apt? - Then from there they walked over to high street and the UTS? Around half an hours walk?)

I can actually answer my own OT question: Clint said that he went to Brians apartment, and Brian & Randy were taking a beer there. So Randy probably drove Brian back to his place, or they took their own respective cars back. Since Brian left with Clint soon after, Randy would have been stuck there otherwise, when he in-fact lived in Pickerington.
I remember Randy saying in the aftermath that either the car or the apartment or both was exactly how he had left it. He Should have known, since he was there. The lot probably exited at the same time from the apartment and said goodbye, then Clint and Brian took off by foot towards High Street.

And Meridith filled in that Clint had driven and parked his car at Brian's, and later retrieved it at 10 AM on Saturday.

(Before this I had seen versions that Clint met Brian at the UTS, and other that Clint had picked Brian up at point x y , and varieties of both)

Last edited:
Here is a very good podcast on YouTube from Tiffany Renee about the Brian Shaffer case.

The Disappearance of Brian Shaffer. Where Is he?

Meredith Reed:
meredith-reed-png.220040

Attachments

• meredith reed.png
    meredith reed.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 162
Just a reflection about the emergency exit in UTS , in the news broadcast from '06 Detective Edwards said if used, a camera would zoom in and out, and something like 'it would not have been possible for him to go out that way'.

In the latest podcast Hurst said that this camera was overriden by staff and that the UTS had security standing outside to guard the exit. And that they 'promised them' no-one had wandered off that way.....

emergency-exit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member