KY KY - Edward Leroy Nichols, 22, Union, 3 Dec 1974

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
No Photo

Last seen alive: December 03, 1974

Circumstances: Edward Nichols disappeared on 12-3-74 while hunting with friend. The 2 separated and Nichols was not seen or heard from since.

First Name: Edward Leroy
Middle Name: Leroy
Last Name: Nichols
[h=3]Details[/h] Age When Last Known Alive: 22
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 72.0
Weight: 160.0
[h=3]Location[/h] City: Union
State: Kentucky
County: Boone
[h=3]Appearance[/h] Hair: Brown
Head Hair: bushy hair
Eye: Brown
[h=3]Clothing and Accessories[/h] Clothing: blue jeans
army fatigue jacket
white socks

http://www.missingin.org/reg5210/edward_leroy_nichols.htm

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9714/

Please help find a photo of Edward and more info

The Advocate Messenger - 11 Dec 1974

Boone County police believe a hunter missing for a week does not want to be found. Stamper called off the search Tuesday saying Nichols saw searchers and could have contacted them if he wanted to. The search was canceled last Thur when two hunters reported seeing a man they later identified through photos as Nichols. He fled from them but lost a pair of socks. David Sties who first reported Nichols missing said the socks were the type worn by Nichols when he disappeared near the Boone Gallatin county line.

It is a strange case, it is presumed he was attacked by wild hogs all thou their has been no trace of him only the sighting and the socks. His friends that were with him were submitted to a lie detector test and passed. The group were hunting on private property it was also mentioned he was in fear of being arrested for deer poaching.

You can read the articles all on the link that Coffee56 posted found a couple more however their all around the same information.

Needless to say ..... its a strange case

The Advocate Messenger - 11 Dec 1974

Boone County police believe a hunter missing for a week does not want to be found. Stamper called off the search Tuesday saying Nichols saw searchers and could have contacted them if he wanted to. The search was canceled last Thur when two hunters reported seeing a man they later identified through photos as Nichols. He fled from them but lost a pair of socks. David Sties who first reported Nichols missing said the socks were the type worn by Nichols when he disappeared near the Boone Gallatin county line.

This is bizarre. Why/how would he lose only his socks while fleeing searchers? Had he removed his socks for some reason and simply dropped them when he ran? Does this mean he was barefoot when he ran away or wearing shoes/boots without socks?
And why would the police come to the conclusion he didn't want to be found rather than thinking there was something wrong if he is fleeing from people and losing his socks in the process? What a shame they canceled the search. He may have been mentally ill, delusional from dehydration, or perhaps hiding from someone who threatened his life. JMO.

This is bizarre. Why/how would he lose only his socks while fleeing searchers? Had he removed his socks for some reason and simply dropped them when he ran? Does this mean he was barefoot when he ran away or wearing shoes/boots without socks?
And why would the police come to the conclusion he didn't want to be found rather than thinking there was something wrong if he is fleeing from people and losing his socks in the process? What a shame they canceled the search. He may have been mentally ill, delusional from dehydration, or perhaps hiding from someone who threatened his life. JMO.

Gardener I was thinking the same thing the search did resume his mother pushed it up to the State Police all thou they never did find him. there is more information in articles per the link that Coffee56 posted. Found plenty of Nichols in yearbooks however not a pic of Edward thus far

Additional info and newspaper articles

Edward Nichols, Missing 1974, Kentucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attempting to copy some additional articles over here:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Boone County has been previously suspected as "good ol'boys" and was alleged to have been covering up evidence. There have been so many different explanations of what has happened in those words between"friends" but my family has still form no closure. Feds have opened the case a couple times but it keeps getting turned back over to Boone county. I was born in 79, so I did not meet him, but the missing mad Ed Nichols is my mother's brother. I can possibly add photos somewhere? There's also a Facebook page about his disappearance.

It is a strange case, it is presumed he was attacked by wild hogs all thou their has been no trace of him only the sighting and the socks. His friends that were with him were submitted to a lie detector test and passed. The group were hunting on private property it was also mentioned he was in fear of being arrested for deer poaching.

You can read the articles all on the link that Coffee56 posted found a couple more however their all around the same information.

Needless to say ..... its a strange case

Detectives, family of Boone County man search for information in cold case 45 years later

FLORENCE, Ky. (WKRC) - It’s been nearly five decades since Ed Nichols disappeared in the Boone County woods. The case has gone cold over the years but now there’s a renewed hope that detectives will be able solve the mystery of his suspected murder.

Nichols was 22-years-old on Dec. 3rd 1974 when he set off from his parents’ Florence home on a hunting trip with a friend. Detectives with the Cold Case/Homicide Unit at the Boone County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the case and following up on new information while Nichols’ family is pleading for tips.

Edward Leroy Nichols – The Charley Project

nichols_edward.jpg
nichols_edward2.jpg
nichols_edward3.jpg
nichols_edward4.jpg

• Missing Since 12/03/1974
  • Missing From Gallatin County, Kentucky
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Age 22 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0, 160 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description An Army fatigue jacket, blue jeans and white socks.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Nichols's nicknames are Ed and Eddie. He had a beard at the time of his disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Nichols was last seen on December 3, 1974. At 9:00 a.m., he left his parents' home in Florence, Kentucky to go deer hunting with a friend, David Stites. They stopped at a store so Nichols could buy some hunting socks, then went to Shady Nook Bottoms, off Southfork Road, about ten miles west of Union, Kentucky.

According to Stites, when he and Nichols arrived at the place where they planned to hunt and got out of the car, they went off in different directions. They were supposed to meet again at the car at 3:00 p.m. Stites said he last saw him in the woods near the Gallatin County, Kentucky line. When he went back to the car at the agreed-upon time, Nichols wasn't there. Stites waited for him for four hours before calling police.

Stites was subsequently fined $114 for hunting deer out of season, and Nichols would have faced similar charges had he reappeared. Nichols was on probation for a drug charge at the time of his disappearance, and a warrant was issued for his arrest after he missed a meeting with his probation officer after he went missing.

Authorities do not believe Nichols left of his own accord or suffered an accident while hunting; they think he was probably the victim of a homicide. His case remains unsolved

**UPDATE**
Boone County, KY detectives are working this case currently, and have been questioning suspects. I still believed that the entire Dept. Was crooked as our politicians until recently. These detectives are a breath of fresh air and I can't say enough good things about them. I feel in my heart this this case will soon be solved, and that my mother, aunts, and uncle can finally find closure.

24 Unidentified Person Exclusions:
UP9383 03/04/1975 Albemarle VA
UP6700 07/01/1975 Amherst VA
UP6702 07/01/1979 Augusta VA
UP6745 05/22/1981 Virginia Beach VA
UP9399 01/09/1983 Caroline VA
UP6640 08/30/1984 New Kent VA
UP6643 04/11/1987 Caroline VA
UP6018 08/15/1988 Ulster NY
UP6513 01/01/1990 Brunswick VA
UP6474 05/12/1990 Prince William VA
UP6530 05/18/1990 Chesterfield VA
UP6548 10/31/1990 Amelia VA
UP2230 08/19/1991 Richmond VA
UP6304 08/01/1993 Clarke VA
UP6762 10/08/1995 Richmond VA
UP6149 01/22/1996 Halifax VA
UP6171 12/26/2005 Pittsylvania VA
UP6637 10/07/2006 Fairfax VA
UP6278 07/05/2007 Botetourt VA
UP6639 07/28/2007 Fairfax VA
UP14518 04/03/2010 Shenandoah VA
UP11248 08/20/2012 Alexandria VA
UP10908 08/29/2012 Fairfax VA
UP14360 08/14/2015 Bland VA

It's incredibly strange they would repeatedly mention socks. How does one run away and lose a sock unless he was no longer in his shoes/boots? I could ask a dozen questions just surrounding that weird fact alone not to mention other angles of this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back