SD SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #4

I just got up to speed on this case, and I am SMH. I am having to sit on my hands on this one. Grrrr.

As someone upthread said, finding someone outdoors is extremely difficult. I am holding on to the magical thinking that someone she knew took pity on her situation, and took her in unbeknownst to LE.

Given her apparent love for the movie Frozen, it would be a cruel and ironic twist that this became her fate. Grrr...sitting on hands before I type what I’d like to say.

amateur opinion and speculation

NOV 18, 2019
Pennington County Sheriff's Office
75402259_2746209988774408_617692545719205888_n.jpg

NOV 23, 2019
The search goes on. Jose and K9 Lola from Search & Rescue Dogs of the United States (SARDUS) are back helping search for Serenity Dennard again this weekend. Some 12-13 ground searchers also took advantage of the weather to scour the area.

NOV 24, 2019
A family fun benefit in honor of Serenity Dennard

Web+image16.jpg

Shine for Serenity benefit brings families together while the search for the little girl who ran away from the Black Hills Children's Home is still missing.

[...]

"Serenity loved other kids. She had so many friends. She would walk outside and walk down the block of the neighborhood and bring five other kids back home to play with her," DG said.

Therefore, having the theme of the movie Frozen helps bring back memories when Serenity would sing Let It Go non-stop.

[...]

From a table of Christmas donations for foster children, to a bake sale to a silent auction, people found Serenity's favorite color, purple, at each station.

Along with Senator Lynne DiSanto, members of the Black Hills Guardians of the Children passed by to show their support. The group is known to sit down with children with troubled pasts and help them cope through the struggles.

Meanwhile, pamphlets encouraging the Serenity Alert system were passed out at the front door by Serenity's biological father.

[...]

Having both families work together means a lot to the Gentrys'.

"We've always joked about it. When she comes back we are going to have this big huge barbecue and all these people are going to be together because that's what Serenity likes," Brian said.

[...]

NOV 23, 2019
'Shine for Serenity' event held at Civic Center to remind the public that Serenity is still missing - KNBN NewsCenter1
‘Shine for Serenity’ was held at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center all day Saturday to keep the public involved in the search for missing child Serenity Dennard.

“Its a wonderful benefit that we are doing for my daughter,” said Serenity’s stepmother DG. “We have games for the kids we have a bake sale we have a silent auction, we have arts and crafts for the kids, we have a slide show we have music playing. Everybody is just gathered here to support this beautiful little girl.”

[...]

Another major issue being discussed at the event is the Serenity Alert System. Serenity’s stepfather has been one of the main driving forces behind this system.

“This started day one, so the entire time Serenity has been gone this alert has been in place. We are trying to implement it all over the world and the first place its going to start is right here in South Dakota,” said BG, Serenity Dennard’s stepfather.

[...]

All of the donations raised at the Serenity Shine event will go towards the Serenity reward fund to keep the community involved in the search for Serenity Dennard.

My nine-year old could not orchestrate this type of an escape. However, when I was 9, I clearly remember a friend in the neighborhood that had a tough life that was capable of doing that and more. I just do not think she is there. She is somewhere else. IMO.

NOV 23, 2019
'Shine for Serenity' event held at Civic Center to remind the public that Serenity is still missing - KNBN NewsCenter1
‘Shine for Serenity’ was held at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center all day Saturday to keep the public involved in the search for missing child Serenity Dennard.

“Its a wonderful benefit that we are doing for my daughter,” said Serenity’s stepmother DG. “We have games for the kids we have a bake sale we have a silent auction, we have arts and crafts for the kids, we have a slide show we have music playing. Everybody is just gathered here to support this beautiful little girl.”

[...]

Another major issue being discussed at the event is the Serenity Alert System. Serenity’s stepfather has been one of the main driving forces behind this system.

“This started day one, so the entire time Serenity has been gone this alert has been in place. We are trying to implement it all over the world and the first place its going to start is right here in South Dakota,” said BG, Serenity Dennard’s stepfather.

[...]

All of the donations raised at the Serenity Shine event will go towards the Serenity reward fund to keep the community involved in the search for Serenity Dennard.
I love the Serenity Alert System Idea.

Pennington County SO on Twitter
Jose, K9 Lola, and Rockerville Fire Chief Gail Schmidt spent today again searching for Serenity Dennard. The dog team is part of Search & Rescue Dogs of US. @sarDogsUS
EKLmzY-XsAAixgS.jpg
EKLmzWqX0AAXcj6.jpg
EKLmzWyXsAAk0BT.jpg

8:23 PM - 24 Nov 2019

Please pardon my ignorance as a non-Dakotan - what are the log structures in the second photograph? I had not noticed them in other search photos. Are they common throughout the region, and would they have been present last February? Would searching all of them, including any that didn't make it through the last 3 seasons intact, be a daunting task? My inner 9-year-old thinks they look like a perfect shelter and play spot - like a tipi. Serenity could have curled up inside one and gone to sleep ... and never woken up. :(

Please pardon my ignorance as a non-Dakotan - what are the log structures in the second photograph? I had not noticed them in other search photos. Are they common throughout the region, and would they have been present last February? Would searching all of them, including any that didn't make it through the last 3 seasons intact, be a daunting task? My inner 9-year-old thinks they look like a perfect shelter and play spot - like a tipi. Serenity could have curled up inside one and gone to sleep ... and never woken up. :(
I'm guessing slash piles - created from trimming, pruning, etc. and set up that way to dry for future burning.

They do look like teepees, don't they? I don't know if they were present when Serenity disappeared but I think they would have been searched, regardless. MOO

Slash Piles - InterNACHI®

I'm guessing slash piles - created from trimming, pruning, etc. and set up that way to dry for future burning.

They do look like teepees, don't they? I don't know if they were present when Serenity disappeared but I think they would have been searched, regardless. MOO

Slash Piles - InterNACHI®

Thank you for that info and the link! It sounds as though they would only be present on owned properties, not so much federal or state prairie and forest, so the chance of them being located somewhere remote that is rarely visited even by foresters is slim. It also sounds as though they are fairly solid piles, and there wouldn't be space to shelter within even if a few logs are removed.

NOV 25, 2019
Help Find Serenity: meet the volunteers sustaining missing girl's memory
Serenity Dennard is the subject of South Dakota's largest missing persons case in recent history, but since the Super Bowl Sunday that she went missing, one group of volunteers has keep her name in the public eye.

HelpFindSerenity-1.jpg

One of these volunteers, TD, is a Wisconsinite man with two full-time jobs - and he only makes a living from one.

[…]

Any time not spent passing state lines is dedicated to a volunteer Facebook page: Help Find Serenity - Missing from Rockerville S.D.

[…]

Knowing that Serenity was in deep trouble, Dalton and co. started their Facebook page to "help any way [they] could."

[...]

Today, they engage over 13,000 people with creative means to raise awareness for the case.

[...]

They also make a big impact with small tokens: the group designed business cards labeled with Serenity's information, which they distribute wherever they go.

[...]

For all the work they've done, TD said bigger plans are still on the way: "we're trying to get a 53-foot semi trailer ... that [is] wrapped fully with Serenity's information."

[...]

"We just hope that she's alive and we just - we're going to just keep doing everything we do every day to raise awareness," Dalton finished.

NOV 26, 2019
SD lawmaker who shared ‘All Lives Splatter’ meme resigns
A South Dakota lawmaker who came under fire two years ago when she shared an “All Lives Splatter” meme on Facebook has resigned.

[…]

Last summer, DiSanto was hit with a no-trespass order after a social media blowup with a constituent over her activism in a missing girl case. The constituent accused the lawmaker of using Serenity Dennard’s disappearance for personal gain. Serenity was 9 when she walked away in February from the Black Hills Children’s Home and remains missing despite multiple searches.

[…]

You know, so very many searchers have returned time after time, these people and those with their dogs are absolutely GOLDEN. They've never stopped. The terrain has never been easy. task is a sad one yet they persevere. I am humbled by their dedication. I honor their efforts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back