Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're all creatures of habit.

When I was a kid our group used to always hang around the same spots. We liked them for whatever reason. Maybe a place had a cool patch of dirt to skid our bikes on, or a big old tree to climb or whatever. You probably had some spots you hung out at many times too.

I'm not saying the guys you refer to were involved in the TH story.

But I am saying that there's going to be 'regulars' who are at the Rec Grounds area on a frequent basis. And the majority of them will live nearby.

So that night, while the residents were mostly at home, at least some of the Rec Ground regulars would have been around the Rec Grounds.

And it's not a stretch of the imagination to assume that one or more of them will have seen or heard something.

And because they live there and the Rec Grounds are a place they like to hang out, even if they stayed away for a while, by now they will have gone back because they like their hangout spot.

But what can we do with that?

It would be a big job to find out who the regulars are. Then what? Offer a reward?

Or figure out their weak links and information about some of them that could be leveraged to get info about that night?

Any ideas anyone here?

Ann764 addressed this too previously (not long ago and possibly in the second thread, but I can’t yet find it). Ann suggested like you to infiltrate the group, by finding a weak link or a willing insider who’s motivated to discreetly speak due to the offer of an appealing reward or some personal benefit.

Those youth most likely hold the secret, or at least crucial info. If they’re serious about resolving this this needs to seriously be contemplated. The rec grounds is the last place there’s high likelihood Theo was physically at. They need to be working from and out of there.

If Théo wrote anything like 'urgh' it could be 'hein ?!' (French/Belgian slang) which means 'What ?!'

I'm not aware of all the new vocabulary of Théo's generation and of course I trust what his family says.

Could that 'urgh' be the way the Australian jounalists tried to write down the prononciation of the word 'hein' ?
I'll leave it here my brain does not follow anymore.

Last edited:
Those youth most likely hold the secret, or at least crucial info. If they’re serious about resolving this this needs to seriously be contemplated. The rec grounds is the last place there’s high likelihood Theo was physically at. They need to be working from and out of there.

I agree that this is where the most attention should be focused. That 7 minute stop.

In the 8 days we were in Byron staying by the rec field, there was activity there every night even on weekdays. If anybody in Byron knows what happened in that 7 minutes and maybe beyond, the best place to find them (or someone who knows them if they have gone underground) will be at those fields at night.

I agree that this is where the most attention should be focused. That 7 minute stop.

In the 8 days we were in Byron staying by the rec field, there was activity there every night even on weekdays. If anybody in Byron knows what happened in that 7 minutes and maybe beyond, the best place to find them (or someone who knows them if they have gone underground) will be at those fields at night.
I think that 7 mins at Tennyson is the most crucial aspect of this whole case.

There is plenty of evidence that the spot where Theo’s phone stopped for 7 mins is a regular hang out for people/groups. There is evidence that people get approached there, locals say not many go to that particular area where his phone stopped for 7 mins.....yet we continue to focus on CC.

The oddsmaker would have Theo at short odds to be at that spot In Tennyson himself, as oppose to CC where it’s a lot more questionable that his physical being actually made it to CC.

If you find out what happened in those 7 mins at Tennyson, I bet the rest becomes a helluva lot clearer IMO

I took an interest in this case after staying in Byron last month - I was staying in accom called Turtle Bay which is located at 36 Cowper St.

The house is actually on the path maps shows TH taking after leaving the Tennyson St - and I recall there were CCTV cameras on the house - but surely all houses along the route would have already been canvassed for footage?
Hey man.
I've seen a few of your posts. I imagine you you've heard the podcast??
I'm still curious as to 'the Judge' bludgeon, and the others found in another location.
Did you get the sense while staying in BB, that there was animosity from the local community towards the tourist community, or towards the outside community, enough to warrant something like a vigilante group.

I just wanted to share this pic I took when I was in Byron. This pic is literally standing at the entrance of the Milne track/fire trail (just in from milne street entrance) I’ve blacked out my partner who was walking with me for obvious reasons but I just wanted to show the scale of the walk to CC. Cos if you look in the background you can see the lighthouse and cliffs at CC.

It’s a pretty big walk, and the path he chose had a dead end...and he chose to take this route in between 11/12 at night!! Just imagine that for a moment.

That’s why I still can’t reconcile he willingly took this route at that time of night!

Attachments

• 75AA6308-224A-42D7-863A-5B1401E4656F.jpeg
    75AA6308-224A-42D7-863A-5B1401E4656F.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 79
I just wanted to share this pic I took when I was in Byron. This pic is literally standing at the entrance of the Milne track/fire trail (just in from milne street entrance) I’ve blacked out my partner who was walking with me for obvious reasons but I just wanted to show the scale of the walk to CC. Cos if you look in the background you can see the lighthouse and cliffs at CC.

It’s a pretty big walk, and the path he chose had a dead end...and he chose to take this route in between 11/12 at night!! Just imagine that for a moment.

That’s why I still can’t reconcile he willingly took this route at that time of night!
Would you do it with another person, or in a group?

Would you do it with another person, or in a group?
Just to clarify, do you mean if I was theo would I walk with another person or a group or would I myself walk that path again?

For me I don’t have any hesitation in walking that path during the day with another person or group. I’m a pretty stocky/tall bloke who can and has been able to handle myself in cities like New York etc. the biggest danger IMO would be the snakes! However I would seriously have to be with a group of trusted friends/family to walk that path at night! In my honest opinion I would not walk that path at night with just one other person (even trusted person) or people who I don’t know well.

Just to ad, before I knew about the dark side of Byron I would have gladly gone through the bush at the end of Tennyson to Gilmore at night to get to the beach, it seems short, and not far til you are in the relative safety of houses and street lights etc.

I would not have walked that track to CC at night. No way....it looked quite daunting standing there at night!

Hey man.
I've seen a few of your posts. I imagine you you've heard the podcast??
I'm still curious as to 'the Judge' bludgeon, and the others found in another location.
Did you get the sense while staying in BB, that there was animosity from the local community towards the tourist community, or towards the outside community, enough to warrant something like a vigilante group.

No, wouldn’t say I felt that, for someone local at Theos age it would have been that way (more tourists than locals) their whole life. It’s more likely they regularly engage the tourists as fun/entertainment. Potentially a group have done this, something has gone wrong and they’ve covered it up?

The way the Byron locals embraced the family and took up the search says a lot too.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, do you mean if I was theo would I walk with another person or a group or would I myself walk that path again?

For me I don’t have any hesitation in walking that path during the day with another person or group. I’m a pretty stocky/tall bloke who can and has been able to handle myself in cities like New York etc. the biggest danger IMO would be the snakes! However I would seriously have to be with a group of trusted friends/family to walk that path at night! In my honest opinion I would not walk that path at night with just one other person (even trusted person) or people who I don’t know well.

Just to ad, before I knew about the dark side of Byron I would have gladly gone through the bush at the end of Tennyson to Gilmore at night to get to the beach, it seems short, and not far til you are in the relative safety of houses and street lights etc.

I would not have walked that track to CC at night. No way....it looked quite daunting standing there at night!

When you travel around by yourself for a while, and of course, you try to be careful about the people you have interactions with, but on the other hand, you also have to be open to some and risk gaining trust. I'm sure you get what I'm saying no. Traveling alone, even with family in the same country, still makes one feel isolated and needing interaction, unless of low mood, or on a spiritual kind of journey. Trusting a stranger becomes a part of the process. Judging the right people to trust becomes part of the process also. Sometimes people get it wrong, unfortunately. The perception of the town from a newcomer would have impacted how TH percieved locals in the community also. Friendly Aussies in the most well known, relaxing, chilled-out town known to international tourists. What could go wrong, right??

No, wouldn’t say I felt that, for someone local at Theos age it would have been that way (more tourists than locals) their whole life. It’s more likely they regularly engage the tourists as fun/entertainment. Potentially a group have done this, something has gone wrong and they’ve covered it up?

So in the podcast, these weapons that were found, & the one with bloodstains and the words 'The Judge' written on it, would suggest a group of people arming themselves for a particular reason. I understand rabbits are illegal as pets in NSW. I imagine they are serious pests, but I did not see any when I was there, or in Nimbin, and I spent 16 months between the 2 towns.

If it's not a group of youths who made them, it's possible some of the homeless population made them and placed them there.
I wonder what type of blood was on that bat.

When you travel around by yourself for a while, and of course, you try to be careful about the people you have interactions with, but on the other hand, you also have to be open to some and risk gaining trust. I'm sure you get what I'm saying no. Traveling alone, even with family in the same country, still makes one feel isolated and needing interaction, unless of low mood, or on a spiritual kind of journey. Trusting a stranger becomes a part of the process. Judging the right people to trust becomes part of the process also. Sometimes people get it wrong, unfortunately. The perception of the town from a newcomer would have impacted how TH percieved locals in the community also. Friendly Aussies in the most well known, relaxing, chilled-out town known to international tourists. What could go wrong, right??
I totally get what you’re saying. I once took a greyhound bus trip from Greeley, Colorado to LA, it took 28 hours and when I got the bus stop at LA I was a long way from the airport. So I hopped into a car with a complete stranger who gave me a lift to the airport. No one apart from me and the other dude knew I got into that car,mu was just lucky I suppose.

One thing that was touched on from drifter was how the person who approached their group was how he was acting a bit odd, asking for a Baccy bong. I wonder if someone who didn’t speak the language that well might not have picked up any ‘odd’ signals from someone who approached him? And that gap in language and culture allowed Theo to be more trusting?

I know travelling alone and trusting strangers is apart of it, however I still find it hard to accept he willingly went into that scrub with anyone at that time of night, let alone trusting a stranger enough to follow them into that blackness!

I totally get what you’re saying. I once took a greyhound bus trip from Greeley, Colorado to LA, it took 28 hours and when I got the bus stop at LA I was a long way from the airport. So I hopped into a car with a complete stranger who gave me a lift to the airport. No one apart from me and the other dude knew I got into that car,mu was just lucky I suppose.

One thing that was touched on from drifter was how the person who approached their group was how he was acting a bit odd, asking for a Baccy bong. I wonder if someone who didn’t speak the language that well might not have picked up any ‘odd’ signals from someone who approached him? And that gap in language and culture allowed Theo to be more trusting?

I know travelling alone and trusting strangers is apart of it, however I still find it hard to accept he willingly went into that scrub with anyone at that time of night, let alone trusting a stranger enough to follow them into that blackness!

I've done dumber things when drinking.

If Théo wrote anything like 'urgh' it could be 'hein ?!' (French/Belgian slang) which means 'What ?!'

I'm not aware of all the new vocabulary of Théo's generation and of course I trust what his family says.

Could that 'urgh' be the way the Australian jounalists tried to write down the prononciation of the word 'hein' ?
I'll leave it here my brain does not follow anymore.

It sounds like the French version of the Australian “errr” which is like “um” meaning I’m just quickly thinking about the answer or trying to work it out as I’m not sure. It doesn’t stand out to me as odd, and seems consistent with the French accent saying a mix of our err, umm & hmmm, or a non native English speaker trying to spell our err or umm. ie “Um/hmm/err I think U2 are coming here in October” = “Urgh I think U2 are coming here in October”.

So in the podcast, these weapons that were found, & the one with bloodstains and the words 'The Judge' written on it, would suggest a group of people arming themselves for a particular reason. I understand rabbits are illegal as pets in NSW. I imagine they are serious pests, but I did not see any when I was there, or in Nimbin, and I spent 16 months between the 2 towns.

If it's not a group of youths who made them, it's possible some of the homeless population made them and placed them there.
I wonder what type of blood was on that bat.
What other weapons were found?
Rabbits are common. I often see them in residential areas further north. Some are cute.
Wild dogs are common. I'd think of the possibility of wild dogs in the bushland near Tallow Beach. Baiting is common further north and west (I can't speak for Byron) but they keep coming back.

Generally in the area and mostly the hinterland but they wild dogs do make it coastal areas:
North Coast wild dogs run rampant

Last edited:

Farrrr out, uh uh nooooo way! Thanks so much T, that gives so much perspective and context. I darkened it to give further emphasis to that night itself, which was described as moonless and as black as coal.
If he went there it was definitely:
1. Not at his choosing
2. With a local who knows this area very well.

Attachments

• 97F5A20E-B129-4B8C-A06A-81092B398972.jpeg
    97F5A20E-B129-4B8C-A06A-81092B398972.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 46
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics