Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone on here has a twitter account and is comfortable reaching out with information about Denim, there is a very active twitter user who has been a game developer in Brooklyn for 20 yrs. I am sure that "community" is enormous, but I wonder if he was interested enough to spread the word - information about Denim might reach the right person.

Current list of exclusions:
MP2469 Michael Davis 06/26/2007 Duval FL
MP11218 James Johansen 06/13/2007 Greenbrier WV
MP4937 Anthony Medearis 08/05/2002 St. Francois MO

MP19181 Sean Nooney 12/15/2012 Pierce WA

MP7406 Shaun Steward 02/01/2008 Maricopa AZ
MP26485 Eric Smith 11/08/2013 Tazewell VA
MP56741 Scott Godsey 07/09/2018 Charlotte FL
MP12308 David Whitehurst 04/17/1992 Hillsborough FL
MP41863 Valentino Malloggi 06/10/2017 Broward FL
MP52000 Paul Glova 08/15/2018 Broward FL
MP30727 Glen Oldfield II 09/17/2015 Skamania WA
MP28265 Roger Temple 12/07/2014 Middlesex MA (link no longer accessible)
- - Alexander Glenn 08/22/2017 Florence County WI

who are you my friend??

David Joseph Broad was added to his rule-out list on NamUs a couple of days back.
Scott David Kurland has been added to the rule-out list.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

According to The Charley Project:
“Kurland was last seen in Wesley Chapel, Florida on November 27, 2017. He arrived home at 1:00 a.m., soaking wet, then left again at 1:30 a.m. and has never been heard from again. His vehicle was later found abandoned in the 30100 block of Elam Road, bear Boyette Road.” (BBM)
266A28EF-7F59-49C0-B860-950FC63207E9.jpeg AA977FA5-4C3E-4CB9-A6ED-D49E1FEAFAE1.jpeg EF24EA3B-4069-4260-9BFA-9D5A9844A7D2.jpeg
Scott David Kurland – The Charley Project

And here is the picture of Denim holding up maps at Mountain Crossings at Walasi-yi that the shop posted on their Facebook and Instagram pages five days later, on December 2, 2017:
C4675BE3-A8D6-4E9C-8B8E-96F3E84304AD.jpeg
Mountain Crossings on Instagram: “This is Denim. He worked in the tech world for the last decade. In June he went for a two week hike on the AT in New York. Today he passed…”

Mountain Crossings at Walasi-yi

Based on the above alone, clearly, Scott is not Denim. So here I am, once again, wondering what the list is based on ....

Last edited:
I’m almost of the same mindset... seems like every time I’m certain it has to be him, the possibility is ruled out quickly... yet some that are even being considered at all are also being ruled out so quickly. I just hope there is a logical explanation and authorities are doing all they can to make sure the exclusions are truly not a match. And FWIW I think so far they have. Although I wish I knew all they knew, as I’m sure most of us do.

that being said lol, I found a missing person on Charley Project yesterday who I think may be a very good possibility (JMO). I don’t want to get my hopes up and preface my suggestion with all the similarities I found between the two men. What do you all think about Kyle Fleischman ? Demographics are pretty much all spot on; disappeared in 2007, would have been 34 years old when UID was discovered, approx 6’0” (estimated, but off a few inches depending on accuracy of info), 180 pounds, brown hair, green eyes, perfect teeth... Kyle Fleischmann – The Charley Project

Again, not trying to get hopes up, but gosh! Not just the resemblance but the circumstances... I’m thinking at this point it can’t hurt submitting?

ETA: This has to be him, right?! :confused:o_O

Last edited:
I think we are focusing too much time and attention on his pseudonym. I am not a social media person and am not the person to do this but I do think that there may be something strait forward that could be done. MH stated to other hikers that he was born or grew up in Baton Rouge. Lots of high school classes have face book pages. It would seem to me that the Baton Rouge area high school face book reunion pages for someone age 40-55 would be good places to post a photograph. Even if he did not graduate from a Baton Rouge area high school but only went to elementary school or middle school there someone in his cohort might recognize him. Only my two cents and my suggestion.

Was not aware of other sites trying to identify MH. Don't know if it permitted, but would some one link those here if it is permitted?

I don’t see a resemblance. He seems much younger than MH. IMO
Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback :)
I was taking into account the 10 year time gap and thought if Denim did have some type of terminal illness, it might have taken a toll on his physical appearance, making him look older than he really was. Something about him seems so youthful, in the earlier photos of him. JMO

I honestly don’t think MH was a missing person or is in any database. He was a dude that stepped out on the trail and passed away.
Agree. Not sure it will contribute anything to look for him in missing persons lists. Not sure that is a productive use of time. My two cents.

Havent heard a thing from that Brooklyn Newspaper I emailed. Rant....... it pisses me off when the info could be right out there!!! LE never contacted Unionville to see about a camping permit, this newspaper never got back to me, the few town fb pages I was able to contact last year never got back to me!! Uuugggghhhhh!!

Bumping for denim. Been so frustrating. I don't get it. When you drop off the map or go missing, things happen. Did he hand a landlord, a car, a cell phone bill, insurance, apppointments, friends, family, former coworkers? So baffling. I keep thinking he was in this Twelve Tribes group or some other sect but he wouldn't have had tech knowledge in that case perhaps, right? I'm baffled.

I found the photo in a comment, so I don't have the original source. I'm not even 100% sure of the location, but it's definitely worth a good search to try to figure it out!

Here's the full version of the photo
67297082_10211447157854527_4552537902080327680_n.jpg

Here's a video about the church's work with AT hikers. It looks like the same place for sure.
@Narkj

One thing I noticed about a couple of his photos, but especially the GoPro video... I’m almost certain he is chewing tobacco. I know it’s stated that his teeth were close to perfect and I’ve watched the video several times, but I’m sure he spits a few times. And I can see the bulge in his lip... maybe he only recently took up the habit? IDK, thought I’d mention it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla