WA WA - Deanne Hastings, 35, Spokane, 4 Nov 2015

I just watched the Disappeared episode about Deanne, and I have a few questions.

(1) In the reenacted scene where Riley and James find her coat and take the debit card(s), there's a pair of ankle boots abandoned as well. This was never mentioned in the actual program. Is there evidence somewhere that her boots were there as well as her jacket, or that Riley said they were there?

(2) I noticed that an earlier news report mentioned here talked about three people being brought in for questioning regarding the attempted use of Deanne's identity. The third person seems to have been omitted from the Disappeared story. (I'm assuming the other two are Riley and James?)

Did I have another question?....I guess not. I just keep thinking of those birthday candles and feeling very sad.

The biggest red flag to me,(other than the last guy to be seen with her "finding" her EBT card the next day) is that he actually used her EBT card. He would've needed her pin code to use it. Therefore Deanne must've told him her pin #. Ebt cards are useless without it. They're not like a debit card where you can use it online, or to buy gas, or order a pizza without having the pin. It's a food stamp card, so you cannot buy anything other than groceries, and you need to enter the pin at every transaction. I'm worried he might've tortured her to get her pin code.

I live in Spokane and we have a huge heroin problem here just like most cities do. Users will buy b-day candles to smoke Heroin off of foil. Lighters will get too hot and start to melt so a little candle works great and is cheap. I'm just throwing that out there, I have no idea if Deanne was a user or not.

Deanne's Disappearance: Beauty school student, mother remains missing | Fox 11 Tri Cities Fox 41 Yakima

9211692_G.jpg
Deanne Hastings seemed to have it all before she vanished back in November of 2015. She was starting beauty school, had three great kids, and was engaged to be married. Loved ones said they can’t help but fear she met an evil end.

“Deanne was an amazing person,” brother Carson Crider said. “An amazing family member. She cared more about others than she did herself.”

You’ll notice Carson talks about his missing sister in the past tense. He believes too much time has gone by to hold onto any hope that she is still alive. It’s a painful truth her fiancé Mike Tibbets says consumes him.

I just watched the Disappeared episode. I wonder if LE checked with the insurance company about the fiancee's claim that when he offered to pay cash for her preferred psych medication, the insurance company said they'd drop her coverage. As a pharmacist who deals with insurance all the time, I can tell you this is HIGHLY unusual and suspicious. An insurance company cannot dictate what medications a patient chooses to take if the patient is paying cash. As long as a patient has a valid prescription written (and barring no harmful drug interactions or drug abuse issues.), that patient has a right to that medication. The way they pay for it is up to THEM. The insurance company can only choose to cover certain medications or not. Insurance companies, especially state medicaid programs, often do suddenly drop coverage of a drug and ask a patient to try a different drug. The doctor can contact the insurance company for what's known as a "prior authorization" and if the doctor convinces the insurance company that the specific drug is necessary and other drugs haven't or won't work, the insurance company will cover it, but in other cases the prior auths are declined. It sounds like the prior auth was declined in this case. In cases of declined prior auths, the patient can and often will opt to pay cash for the medication instead (if they can afford to).

There is no precedent that I am aware of that allows insurance companies to threaten to drop coverage because a patient opts to pay cash for a medication!!! This is just ludicrous. So I certainly hope LE looked into that claim. It sounded very suspicious to me.

Changing psych meds can be very dangerous. It can be difficult and take time to find a the right drug(s) and dose(s), and once you do, you do NOT want to make changes. I would like to know more about what specific drug changes were made to her regimen and if she was adherent to the (new?) regimen. Starting a new psych medication can take 4-6 weeks to show full effects (sometimes longer), and she'd also need to wean off the other ("banned" by insurance) drug. If she suddenly stopped the original psych med, that could definitely cause psych issues for her. Or even if she weaned off it (which it sounds like the insurance company didn't give her the chance to do), starting a new psych med can cause a host of problems too if it's not the right one. I can definitely see how she would feel "drugged" or confused, and then combining that with vodka would only compound the situation.

I think a potential key to solving the case is finding out what medications she was on, when and how she stopped them, what new medication(s) did she start, and how was she taking them. Also, why was she deceived about losing her insurance if she paid cash for the preferred psych med?

Last edited:
Why did the Disappeared episode name Randy Riley but only refer to James as 'James'? Why is Randy more important than James? Also, what was all that about James contacting someone on Facebook, desperate to talk to the family, but then he didn't actually tell them anything?? Is there any more info on that/ him?

Still following this hoping her family will get some closer. Her poor kids. It still amazes me how people seem to get away with crimes and murder this day and age.

Deanne Hastings left her fiancé a note on the night of November 3, 2015 saying she was headed to the store. She never returned. The 35-year-old had finished her first day of cosmetology school that afternoon. The following morning, her credit card was used at a store not too far from her home outside Spokane, Washington. Security video shows Deanne leaving that store around noon the day after she had written the note to her fiancé. Her car was later discovered parked in downtown Spokane, and it appeared to have been left there since the night she vanished. In February of 2016, a man was arrested and charged with using Deanne’s credit cards. He spent several months in jail and was released in September 2016. Neither he, nor anyone else, has been charged in connection to Deanne’s disappearance.

Five years of Dateline’s Missing in America: 109 still missing

Spokane has a handful missing person cases that drive me nuts: Julie Weflen, Heather Higgins, Laurie Patridge to name a few. And now Deanne. It makes me sick! The victims seem to disappear into thin air. Heather Higgins alleged POI's mother states what was done to her body and to this day she has not been found.

Regarding the claims of the fiancé about the Deanne’s “insurance” and his offer to pay for her medication. It was “state issued insurance”, aka Medicaid. And the “card” that was reference in the episode as being used was her EBT card. So she was receiving public assistance. And as a social worker who works for the state and has dealt with these issues concerning eligibility for benefits my entire adult life, I can assure you, the state most certainly can, and will, drop you if the are made aware that you have some other source of funds with which to pay for anything for which they are providing you assistance. By the fiancé saying that he is willing and able to pay for any part of her medical care, he is telling the state that Deanne is not in need of assistance. Her doctor, who is also being paid by Medicaid, would not be allowed to prescribe her any medications that are not covered by Medicaid. If this were insurance for which she pays market value, of course she would be able to private pay for anything she wanted. But, because this is “welfare” and the people receiving it are economically disadvantaged, have no power, and are at the mercy of the others, they are expected to just be grateful for whatever inadequate help they are given.

I just watched the Disappeared episode. I wonder if LE checked with the insurance company about the fiancee's claim that when he offered to pay cash for her preferred psych medication, the insurance company said they'd drop her coverage. As a pharmacist who deals with insurance all the time, I can tell you this is HIGHLY unusual and suspicious. An insurance company cannot dictate what medications a patient chooses to take if the patient is paying cash. As long as a patient has a valid prescription written (and barring no harmful drug interactions or drug abuse issues.), that patient has a right to that medication. The way they pay for it is up to THEM. The insurance company can only choose to cover certain medications or not. Insurance companies, especially state medicaid programs, often do suddenly drop coverage of a drug and ask a patient to try a different drug. The doctor can contact the insurance company for what's known as a "prior authorization" and if the doctor convinces the insurance company that the specific drug is necessary and other drugs haven't or won't work, the insurance company will cover it, but in other cases the prior auths are declined. It sounds like the prior auth was declined in this case. In cases of declined prior auths, the patient can and often will opt to pay cash for the medication instead (if they can afford to).

There is no precedent that I am aware of that allows insurance companies to threaten to drop coverage because a patient opts to pay cash for a medication!!! This is just ludicrous. So I certainly hope LE looked into that claim. It sounded very suspicious to me.

Changing psych meds can be very dangerous. It can be difficult and take time to find a the right drug(s) and dose(s), and once you do, you do NOT want to make changes. I would like to know more about what specific drug changes were made to her regimen and if she was adherent to the (new?) regimen. Starting a new psych medication can take 4-6 weeks to show full effects (sometimes longer), and she'd also need to wean off the other ("banned" by insurance) drug. If she suddenly stopped the original psych med, that could definitely cause psych issues for her. Or even if she weaned off it (which it sounds like the insurance company didn't give her the chance to do), starting a new psych med can cause a host of problems too if it's not the right one. I can definitely see how she would feel "drugged" or confused, and then combining that with vodka would only compound the situation.

I think a potential key to solving the case is finding out what medications she was on, when and how she stopped them, what new medication(s) did she start, and how was she taking them. Also, why was she deceived about losing her insurance if she paid cash for the preferred psych med?
It was state issued insured

Regarding the claims of the fiancé about the Deanne’s “insurance” and his offer to pay for her medication. It was “state issued insurance”, aka Medicaid. And the “card” that was reference in the episode as being used was her EBT card. So she was receiving public assistance.

Yes, I've recently heard that may be the case in some states (to my surprise). I don't recall being privy to the specifics about her insurance; can you provide the link/source? In any case, in some states people on Medicaid do pay out of pocket for drugs their insurance doesn't cover. There is no law in my state preventing people from doing it, for example. I can't find anything online about Washington state Medicaid laws but would be interested to read about it if available.

I pray her family and loved ones get some closure on this case. I’ve followed this case for quite some time and am sad to see very few new details for a long time now. I do wonder however If the candles she bought were a sort of distraction for the alcohol she also purchased.
One other thing I have read and that I also noted from the Disappeared episode was that several people stated she had talked about needing to leave the relationship she was in. I do wonder if LE has investigated any deeper into some of those claims.

deanne_hastings_10cef43210ca81ec8684682c155046ee.fit-760w.png

https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/six-years-dateline-s-missing-america-134-still-missing-n1096226

I just watched Deanne's Disappeared Episode on ID on Demand last night. (I never heard of her case before) She was a beautiful woman with a loving family. My heart broke for her mom, brother and children. I know her fiancé was looked at as a person of interest, but to me it looked like he truly cared for her and wouldn't hurt her. Mental illness is no joke. I think she got involved with the wrong people due to her mental illness and they took advantage of her. I hope her family can find her and they can have some closure.

No disrespect for any family members.
Why was it ok for her fiancé to open her car , move her car and was any forensic testing done on the car , especially in light of the fact the friends say she was planning to leave him?
He refuses to turn over the phone because he doesn’t want to lose pictures? Hasn’t he heard of iCloud or Google pics , that’s suspicious to say the least. Has he ever been named a person of interest?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back