ME ME - Anneliese Heinig, 37, Richmond, 26 Nov 2019 *vehicle found*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for pulling those up. I wish Willow would come back and get verified, though she may not know much more.
It takes a while to get verified, iir, and so she may be working on it. Just the fact that these posts have not been removed due to lack of linked sources makes me think it's being worked on. Hopefully we'll hear from her again, as local and verified sources often have a wealth of accurate info to provide.

I remember reading the posts that @Steelslady just posted from A's friend and I did provide the poster with a link to become verified. I'm hoping she (he) followed through. We know it does take some time to become verified.

Last edited:
New here. Created a profile to follow this story. I am friends with both anneliese and her ex husband and their families(acquaintances more so, these days). Anneliese and I used to date when we were 16 or 17. I do not believe that I have any information that hasn't already been discussed yet, I have many questions that remain unanswered and, as it looks here, un asked. Because I am new to this site and not entirely familiar with the etiquette, I will not offer any questions or speculations unless asked by a "well-known" member.

New here. Created a profile to follow this story. I am friends with both anneliese and her ex husband and their families(acquaintances more so, these days). Anneliese and I used to date when we were 16 or 17. I do not believe that I have any information that hasn't already been discussed yet, I have many questions that remain unanswered and, as it looks here, un asked. Because I am new to this site and not entirely familiar with the etiquette, I will not offer any questions or speculations unless asked by a "well-known" member.
Welcome to Websleuths.

RSBM

From the article:

... The car was parked next to the northbound lanes and she was walking south, according to Falmouth police. She left her keys, cellphone and wallet inside the vehicle, which was considered abandoned and was towed that afternoon.

Cpl. FC discovered the vehicle in the breakdown lane of I-295 north at about 8:30 a.m. on Nov. 26. FC conducted “a quick check” of the SUV and the surrounding area before he headed back out on patrol, according to a statement released by Maine State Police on Thursday night.

[…]

By 1:30 p.m. that day, a state Department of Transportation worker called state police and asked if By 1:30 p.m. that day, a state Department of Transportation worker called state police and asked if the SUV could be moved, and the trooper then authorized the tow.

[…]

Falmouth police will continue searching for the foreseeable future with Maine Marine Patrol remaining as the primary presence in the Presumpscot River area. The marine patrol also will continue to fly aircraft over the area during times of favorable visibility.

[…]

I know there were lots of flip-flopping on whether her car was parked northbound or southbound. Has it ever been confirmed more recently with LE that her vehicle was indeed parked northbound as the above newer article Pommy shared says? If so, that would mean she drove south from Richmond towards the Portland area and at some point, ended up going back north towards her work/home. This doesn't read self-harm if AH was heading back home. I don't know what her mental state was at the time, but to me, if her car was northbound, it tells me she was planning on heading back home.

I'm glad to see that this discussion is so active and welcome to new posters, particularly those that know Anneliese.
I've got a couple of points on my mind. First, the consensus seems to be that LE is focusing on "self harm" rather than a crime. I think it's possible that they're equally open to both ideas. Their focus on the waterways by Rte 295 does not suggest to me that they are focused exclusively on suicide. Instead, they could be starting with that as the most logical place for the crime since her car was nearby.
I agree with Pixie above that the car's direction is very important. If she was heading northbound, I would guess that she was heading home (or to work) after spending an overnight with a friend. The fact that she was apparently posting on FB at 2:30am also suggests to me that she may have been up all night. I don't think I could go to bed at 3am and then get up at 6am to drive (maybe when I was 37). Also, while she may have been coming back from Portland since it's the closest city, who knows - she may have been driving up from NH or MA. LE has not put out a request such as "did anybody see AH at XYZ restaurant or bar Monday night in Portland?" so if she was out, I'm guessing it was at a private residence.
Lastly, I'd really like to know if they ran her cell phone for prints or if there's any evidence that it was wiped down. Like some others, I'm not convinced that she made that 2:30am post. Of course, the phone may have been handled by family members on Thursday, preventing that type of examination.

Welcome and glad you're here. Please get yourself verified by mods if you have anything personal about Anneliese you'd like to share.

I haven't read back yet, but have a few questions after reading this news story Maine trooper failed to follow policy when he had missing Richmond mother’s car towed
  • A witness saw AH at 6:30 am walking away from her car. Was she on her way to work? Why would she leave keys, her purse & cell phone in the car? Was it broke down?
  • Why was she driving her parent's car, did she not own one?
  • Does anyone suspect she accepted a ride from a passing motorist?

RSBM

I know there were lots of flip-flopping on whether her car was parked northbound or southbound. Has it ever been confirmed more recently with LE that her vehicle was indeed parked northbound as the above newer article Pommy shared says? If so, that would mean she drove south from Richmond towards the Portland area and at some point, ended up going back north towards her work/home. This doesn't read self-harm if AH was heading back home. I don't know what her mental state was at the time, but to me, if her car was northbound, it tells me she was planning on heading back home.

Law enforcement officers from seven agencies on Monday expanded their search around the Prescumpscot River for 37-year-old Anneliese Heinig, who was reported missing on Thanksgiving Day.

The Richmond woman stopped her SUV early on the morning of Nov. 26 on the shoulder of the northbound lanes of Interstate 295 in Falmouth, just north of the Presumpscot River overpass, where another motorist spotted her walking south, away from her vehicle, said Falmouth Police, who are assisting in the search.
Police expanding search for missing Richmond woman

Falmouth Maine Police Department
last Monday
The Falmouth Police Department, in collaboration with its law enforcement partners at the Maine State Police, Maine Marine Patrol, Maine Warden Service, Richmond Police Department, Portland Police Department, and Falmouth Fire Department, are expanding the search for 37-year-old Anneliese Heinig, who was reported missing on Thanksgiving day.

Acting on recent information, community members should expect to see an increased law enforcement presence in the areas of I-295, Middle Road, and the Presumpscot River in Falmouth. As part of the search efforts, citizens may see Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and water patrols in these general areas. Law enforcement plans on working these locations throughout the day, and we ask for your patience as we safely conduct these searches in inclement weather.

78111898_2866001750085086_1806113788978528256_o.jpg

12980758_20191204_Search0419-1024x665.jpg

Falmouth police Lt. Frank Soule looks out on the Presumpscot River from the bridge on Route 9 in Falmouth on Wednesday as the search continued for Anneliese Heinig. Shawn Patrick Ouellette/Staff Photographer

From your link Knox:

“A Maine State Police trooper failed to follow department policy when he made no effort to contact the owners of an SUV parked along Interstate 295 and did not inventory the vehicle’s contents before he ordered it towed and impounded, potentially delaying the search for a woman who remains missing more than a week later.”

From your link Knox:

“A Maine State Police trooper failed to follow department policy when he made no effort to contact the owners of an SUV parked along Interstate 295 and did not inventory the vehicle’s contents before he ordered it towed and impounded, potentially delaying the search for a woman who remains missing more than a week later.”

Yep, that trooper is taking a beating over not contacting the vehicle owner or itemizing the contents in the car. To be fair, it sounds like the policy is not specifically followed in every instance. I would imagine unless the circumstances are suspicious, towing is just a routine occurrence.

But in this instance, not following the protocol is problematic. I'm still not clear why no one missed her for two days? Did she work, where were her kids? I understand it wasn't until she didn't show up for Thanksgiving dinner that the alarm bells went off?

Yep, that trooper is taking a beating over not contacting the vehicle owner or itemizing the contents in the car. To be fair, it sounds like the policy is not specifically followed in every instance. I would imagine unless the circumstances are suspicious, towing is just a routine occurrence.

But in this instance, not following the protocol is problematic. I'm still not clear why no one missed her for two days? Did she work, where were her kids? I understand it wasn't until she didn't show up for Thanksgiving dinner that the alarm bells went off?

I think we all have those questions but we also have no idea what her work schedule was like, or what her arrangement with the kids/their living situation is. I don't have kids, but I do have a friend who is divorced and single with a 21 year old, and both she and her daughter are all over the place with their schedules. Though we are close friends, it wouldn't be unlikely for me not to hear from her for a few days, or for she and her daughter not to be together all of the time.

I think we all have those questions but we also have no idea what her work schedule was like, or what her arrangement with the kids/their living situation is. I don't have kids, but I do have a friend who is divorced and single with a 21 year old, and both she and her daughter are all over the place with their schedules. Though we are close friends, it wouldn't be unlikely for me not to hear from her for a few days, or for she and her daughter not to be together all of the time.
Completely understand. However, when you have minor children usually you are in contact with someone who would be alarmed if you did not communicate for two days. I found more details about her living circumstances below.

This is a informative story with comments from Anneliese's mom Friends and family of missing Richmond mother paint portrait of loving, caring woman

“We still don’t what happened or why she was headed to Portland that day,” said her mother. “But we’re here to focus on how many lives she’s touched.”

Once Heinig was reported missing, Richmond police traced the location of Heinig’s cellphone. That led them to a South Portland tow company that had removed the car she was driving from the highway at the request of Maine State Police on Nov. 26, the last day she was seen.

Family members said they, along with police, have been to Heinig’s apartment in Richmond and found nothing out of order. Her mother had spoken to her on the Monday before Thanksgiving and said she was “in a great mood.”

Family members doubt Heinig locked herself out of the car. Anne Heinig noted that the SUV was equipped with a numerical keypad to unlock the driver’s door, so Anneliese could have gotten back into the car without keys.

When Heinig’s parents picked up the SUV from the tow lot in South Portland, they noticed the low-gas light had come on, and the tank was so close to empty that a tow truck driver followed them to a gas station after the family picked up the vehicle. Family members believe she might have been walking to get gas, carrying cash on her and leaving her wallet in the car.

Heinig lives with her 16-year-old daughter in Richmond. Her 5-year-old son lives close by with his father, Anne Heinig said. Anneliese Heinig recently went with her daughter to get their nails done together, for her daughter’s birthday, and the two were planning a spa day, the family said. Heinig works at a Brunswick company that provides customer service for other businesses, and loves the job and the people she works with, her father said this week.

At the vigil Friday, Anderson told Heinig’s friends and family to remember to check in on each other and support each other as often as possible.

Last edited:
So the vehicle was low on gas, ok that makes sense, she could have grabbed cash and left her purse. The car had an external entry keypad, that potentially explains leaving the keys in the car. But wouldn't you want to take your cell phone for safety?

I believe her daughter returned home from the 2-day sleepover, and noted the house looked the same as when they left. She hadn't heard from AH, and was unable to contact her, then made the report.

What a lovely picture at the vigil.

So they're still continuing to search for Anneliese in the water?
It appears so. There has to be some reason for the focus on that area. Wish we knew what it was. MOO
@PommyMommy
You've followed a lot of cases. Do you recall anything like this with such a lack of info and no pressers, no family TV pleas for help, etc?
Oh yes, and much worse than this. In some cases, family and LE have NEVER spoke with the press and really all we have is the initial missing report. MOO

Welcome to Websleuths, @Serpico Charlie! If you feel comfortable answering this, I just have one question; do you have any idea why Anneliese would travel south to the Falmouth/Portland area?

I haven't read back yet, but have a few questions after reading this news story Maine trooper failed to follow policy when he had missing Richmond mother’s car towed
  • A witness saw AH at 6:30 am walking away from her car. Was she on her way to work? Why would she leave keys, her purse & cell phone in the car? Was it broke down?
  • Why was she driving her parent's car, did she not own one?
  • Does anyone suspect she accepted a ride from a passing motorist?
Her parents drove the car from the impound lot and noted that it was low on gas.

She was borrowing her parent's vehicle until she could save enough money to purchase one of her own.

It's possible that she accepted a ride but LE has focused their search on the bridge area, so I'm not sold on that idea. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa