MO MO - Earl Joggerst, 15, Arnold, 4 Aug 1972

In an early post, someone alluded to the fact the Geraldine Hearst had passed away. In the statement on his missing persons profile, it says Jay left his home with an unknown 30- year old male and a high school friend which was Geraldine Hearst. It does not indicate whether or not he was running away, but I would have to assume that if they thought he ran away that they would have included that information. However it was so long ago, that it could have easily been forgotten or left out. The question of whether or not he was running away is a good one because it helps put his story into some sort of perspective. I wish I could find more info on this Grealdine Hearst and exactly what she said when she was located in CA.

It would also help to know when she was found and returned and whether someone searched and found her in CA or she called or wrote home asking for help. Most definitely, a timeline would be helpful. The most direct route to CA from eastern MO would be via I-44, which was not far from the South County SC and Arnold. It would take them through OK, TX, NM, AZ ending in the Los Angeles area. If that was the overall route, they could have stopped anywhere along the way with Jay disappearing. Assume that's why LE compared his DNA with the unidentified Corll victims.

Yes, a little info would be helpful. It's possible Jay changed his name, adopted a different lifestyle and is still living. LE seems to believe he met with foul play though. JMO

I wonder how they know that the acquaintance was 30 years old but don't know his name. I can't find a death record for Geraldine--does anyone know when/where she died?

I wonder how they know that the acquaintance was 30 years old but don't know his name. I can't find a death record for Geraldine--does anyone know when/where she died?
They know his name. We just don't know it. I guarantee from personal experience that in every one of these cases, there is so much more information than what is revealed to the public.

They know his name. We just don't know it. I guarantee from personal experience that in every one of these cases, there is so much more information than what is revealed to the public.

Wonder why they don't offer more details that would help find him? Is it implied the 30 yo man wasn't involved in Jay's disappearance or in any foul play? Knowingly taking two minors across state lines in itself is problematic. He should have been arrested for that, at minimum.

Hi! I do believe I'm Betty P's sibling :) I went through grade school with Jay and remember him as always preferring to hang out with the girls and he even had his own Barbie dolls. We left that school in the middle of my 6th grade year and I don't recall seeing him after that but have thought of him throughout the years and wondered how things turned out for him. While it wasn't talked about in that day and age, I've never had much of a doubt that he was probably gay and it makes me wonder if that didn't play a part in his disappearance. He was a sweet kid but in the 60's he would have been a target for a rough time from guys. It makes me sad that he has never been found.

Hi! I do believe I'm Betty P's sibling :) I went through grade school with Jay and remember him as always preferring to hang out with the girls and he even had his own Barbie dolls. We left that school in the middle of my 6th grade year and I don't recall seeing him after that but have thought of him throughout the years and wondered how things turned out for him. While it wasn't talked about in that day and age, I've never had much of a doubt that he was probably gay and it makes me wonder if that didn't play a part in his disappearance. He was a sweet kid but in the 60's he would have been a target for a rough time from guys. It makes me sad that he has never been found.

Thanks, Terri! I was just thinking about him again the other day. I wonder if anyone else from Arnold might know more of the story. Any little clue could help narrow the possibilities.

Correction: He was ruled out as being one of the victims who was found, but I'm assuming the polaroid photo was of a victim whose remains haven't been discovered? If that victim was killed in late 1973, its possible, but AFAIK LE hasn't been able to determine the date of the photo.

Correction: He was ruled out as being one of the victims who was found, but I'm assuming the polaroid photo was of a victim whose remains haven't been discovered? If that victim was killed in late 1973, its possible, but AFAIK LE hasn't been able to determine the date of the photo.

There are still remains according to Henley under the boat shed. And even so, who's not to say that he buried victims elsewhere? The boy in the polaroid bears a huge resemblance to Jay imo.

Ps that poster on the Corll thread went to school with Jay.

Interesting. According to his Mom's obituary, she "loved her vacations in Texas". I wonder if he ever went there with her … and whereabouts in Texas.

Interesting. According to his Mom's obituary, she "loved her vacations in Texas". I wonder if he ever went there with her … and whereabouts in Texas.

She probably liked to go there, in winter or spring. "Snowbirds" - people from the midwest and north getting away from cold and snow to warm weather and a beach. Have not been, but know people who have, who stay a few weeks even, taking travel trailers, etc. Popular areas are along the gulf coast to southwest of Houston, Galveston, etc.

Texas: A Unique Destination for Canadian Snowbirds | TravelAlerts

Dropping in to ask if anyone has wondered if he could be Belle Chasse John Doe? I know it is a pretty out-there theory....
If Geraldine was found safe in another state, maybe Earl lived for a while on the run. In BCJD's suicide note, he says not to deprive his parents of the hope that their "missing" son would return.

Last edited:
The only problem with the note is the father wasn't in his life at all - only his Mom. Other than that, it's hard to say. I also wondered if he couldn't have been one of the unidentified victims in the Up Stairs Lounge fire in New Orleans in 1973.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back