***Jury Recommends DEATH for Mark Sievers*** Penalty/Sentencing Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It may take years but they will be far more miserable than if he was sentenced to life.

Just look at Jodi Arias. She’s living a life. She’s the queen where she’s housed. They get to work. Socialize. Engage in recreation with other inmates.

Not this convict.

And that doesn’t bother me one bit.

rsbm

My sentiments exactly.

Yes but “if he had any part in it”???

He was found guilty. The evidence was incredible.

Correct, but I wasn’t there and while it certainly seems like he had something to do with it, I won’t say with certainty one way or another. That’s why I said “if he did, he had this coming”. I just can’t be the one to decide that.

Correct, but I wasn’t there and while it certainly seems like he had something to do with it, I won’t say with certainty one way or another. That’s why I said “if he did, he had this coming”. I just can’t be the one to decide that.

bbm

Fair enough. You will always get out of jury duty then. :)

I need clarification on a few things please.

One of two had to be evident. Jurors found Mark guilty of the cold cruel crime part. I think I understood it was decided by jurors that Mark didn't premeditate his wife's death for financial gain. Why did the jurors not believe it was for financial gain?

I didn't think double indemnity is awarded for murders, just accidental deaths. Is that true?

I think the jury probably thought he did it for financial gain, but they didn't think the state proved it beyond a reasonable doubt.

Oh, that answers my question. I can see that. I do think if that financial planner gave straight answers it might have helped. She was a strange witness for either side.

I agree his attorneys did a great job. But if I was shopping around for a defense attorney I would look at their win/loss record. Wouldn't you?

Almost any publicity is good publicity for criminal defense attorneys when it comes to high profile cases. Unless they do a poor job.

Regardless, these are excellent attorneys. They did very well for their client. But he's guilty. This was a death penalty qualified jury. There were aggravators. There were no mitigators. So the jury followed the law. Other defendants understand that. But they tend to be impressed with defense attorneys who are well known due to being in a high profile case.

Let me put it another way - there are no high quality criminal defense attorneys who have a higher record of wins than losses. Not close. It's not football. Almost all their clients are guilty so it's impossible to have a high record of outright wins.

One of two had to be evident. Jurors found Mark guilty of the cold cruel crime part. I think I understood it was decided by jurors that Mark didn't premeditate his wife's death for financial gain. Why did the jurors not believe it was for financial gain?

I didn't think double indemnity is awarded for murders, just accidental deaths. Is that true?
You can thank Ms. Lyons testimony for that part. IMO

You don't have to decide. It has been decided. He is guilty as charged.

Policies may vary, but from Wikipedia: "This includes murder by a person other than, and not in collusion with, the beneficiary of the insurance policy, and most accidental deaths." It's possible that if the murder of TS was never solved and determined to be a result of a random burglary, there would be double payout. I don't know if the kidlets will get double if their father was the murderer.

Yikes to see that some policies will pay triple the face value.

bbm

Fair enough. You will always get out of jury duty then. :)

Hopefully. The standard isn't certainty. It is beyond a "reasonable" doubt. We desperately need jurors who understand what reasonable means and that it doesn't mean "beyond any doubt whatsoever". I feel good that lately it seems juries are understanding that.

oh WOW !!! The Jury went into deliberation before I left work, I got home, hurried up and booted up computer to see if a decision has been made and saw this !!!
For some reason, I cannot watch anywhere. UGH
After watching live streaming through his whole court proceedings and watched and listened all day today at work, I did not get to see the decision.
Maybe it will be updated tomorrow and I can watch.
God Bless this jury and both families. What an emotional day for all of them.
It has to be gut wrenching for all. It is so sad for both families. How awful for his family to know that their brother and son was someone they did not know. I wonder if they really believe he is not guilty. It would be interesting to know.

The verdict doesn't mean they decided he did not premeditate his wife's murder for the purpose of monetary gain. It means they didn't feel that particular element was proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Almost any publicity is good publicity for criminal defense attorneys when it comes to high profile cases. Unless they do a poor job.

Regardless, these are excellent attorneys. They did very well for their client. But he's guilty. This was a death penalty qualified jury. There were aggravators. There were no mitigators. So the jury followed the law. Other defendants understand that. But they tend to be impressed with defense attorneys who are well known due to being in a high profile case.

Let me put it another way - there are no high quality criminal defense attorneys who have a higher record of wins than losses. Not close. It's not football. Almost all their clients are guilty so it's impossible to have a high record of outright wins.
Point taken.

His facial expressions and actions are all over the place, but I didn't see his trembling chin today. He showed more fear with the initial guilty verdict the other day. Did he want this verdict for some reason?

My prayers go out to the daughters, and Teresa's long suffering family. I saw Teresa in her mother's face today, as though she were in that courtroom too. Teresa would want her loved ones to start healing and find peace now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charharr