***Jury Recommends DEATH for Mark Sievers*** Penalty/Sentencing Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many death penalty attorneys become death penalty attorneys because they oppose the death penalty, period. They do not think the state should have the power to execute a citizen or they think the criminal justice system is so inherently corrupt/biased that there is no way for a state to fairly carry out executions. Organizations like the innocence project - where attorneys fight to get cases reopened due to mistakes or misconduct - fall along the same lines. So a good DP attorney can believe their client is guilty and deserves LWOP but not want to see their client executed. It is a difficult field.

Mr Mummert is not a DP qualified attorney . There was a hearing and Mark fought to keep him anyway. The guy with the longer hair, that handled the defense today ,was brought in to be the DP qualified atty on the defense team.

Jury recommends death penalty for Mark Sievers after plotting wife's brutal killing
Investigators believe Mark Sievers hired two men to kill his wife, Teresa.

Tuesday, December 10th 2019, 6:13 PM EST by Vanessa Bein

LEE COUNTY, Fla. - A jury has recommended the death penalty for Mark Sievers after he was found guilty of first-degree murder in his wife's brutal killing.

Investigators believe Mark Sievers hired two men to kill his wife, Teresa.

Teresa was a holistic doctor. Teresa and Mark have two daughters.
The two men Mark hired to kill Teresa were also arrested. Curtis Wright, Mark's best friend, took a plea deal in the case. Part of the deal required him to testify in Mark's trial, as well as the other hired hitman's trial, Jimmy Rodgers.

Rodgers was found guilty of second-degree murder. His sentencing is scheduled for this Thursday, Dec. 12.
tmar,

Jeezopeez what the heck is going on with journalism these days? Starting with the sentence used twice and having nothing to do with anything at this point: "Investigators believe Mark Sievers hired two men to kill his wife, Teresa."
That's what you say before a verdict is rendered. The entire piece is odd. One statement contradicts another and so on. Meh, I'm cranky these days about amateur journalism.

Just the biggest creep to me. He acted like he was one of the attorneys. I cannot stand him. The arrogance. The cool evil. The presumption.
I feel the same way - I followed this one from afar - but considering he was able to manipulate two people to kill his wife in a brutal way - and got away with it for a bit - I’m glad the jury got this one right IMO

Mark Sievers Trial - YouTube
Mark Sievers Trial
0 / 51 completed

11:14NOW PLAYING
Mark Sievers Penalty Phase - Jury Instuctions
Law & Crime Network

14:38NOW PLAYING
Mark Sievers Penalty Phase - Prosecution Opening Statement
Law & Crime Network

5:38NOW PLAYING
Mark Sievers Penalty Phase - Defense Opening Statement
Law & Crime Network

21:17NOW PLAYING
Mark Sievers Penalty Phase - Victim Impact Statement - Mary Ann Groves - Victim's Mother
Law & Crime Network

1:18:54NOW PLAYING
Mark Sievers Penalty Phase-Bonnie Sievers-Mother, Scott Sievers-Brother, Connie Reiss-Stepsister
Law & Crime Network

6:53NOW PLAYING
Mark Sievers Penalty Phase - Charge Conference
Law & Crime Network

40:00NOW PLAYING
Mark Sievers Penalty Phase - Prosecution Closing Argument
Law & Crime Network

14:47NOW PLAYING
Mark Sievers Penalty Phase - Defense Closing Argument
Law & Crime Network

26:08NOW PLAYING
Mark Sievers Penalty Phase - Jury Instructions, Charge & Alternates Reliesed, Plus 1st Question
Law & Crime Network

13:24NOW PLAYING
Mark Sievers Penalty Phase - Verdict
Law & Crime Network

The jury did not uphold the pecuniary gain as aggravating factor beyond reasonable doubt and yet the entire case is based on it, as Hunter pointed out in his closing argument (which was risky to explicitly referring to at this point IMO). What was the beyond reasonable base then for the conspiracy conviction to begin with? If not for money, for the kids then? Interesting.

ALL IMO

-Nin

I’ll agree to disagree. I’ve seen some posts that are disappointing to say the least. We can’t bring ourselves down to these levels where we lose all sense of humanity. Wanting these criminals “taken care of” in jail doesn’t make you (collectively, not you specifically) much better than MS imo. I don’t condone his actions. His behavior throughout the trial was appalling. He was smug and I don’t condone any of it. All that said, he still has a mother and daughters... he’s still human. And for those reasons I can’t bring myself to have the hatred he had/has in his heart. But by all means...
Being happy that a man got a severe punishment for a cold blooded and calculating crime deserves to be posted. He's human but not a very good one. Quite honestly, he is a dangerous human that only thinks of himself. Did he think of others when he planned to have Teresa killed? No he didn't. He didn't care what the girls would go through when their mom was murdered. He deserves no individual respect, JMO

Although I believe some people deserve to die, I am against the death penalty as an institution. It’s unequally applied, innocent people have been sentenced to death and executed and we are the only westernized nation to still have the death penalty. We are like Saudi Arabia or Iran when it comes to that. So that’s my dilemma.

I’m fine with the length of time because people on death row for years have been exonerated via the Innocence Project. If they’d just been taken out back and shot, oops.

That being said, I don’t feel sorry for him. Or Scott Peterson. Or any of those similar monsters on death row.

And I don’t feel sad to know that for the guilty, death row is vastly different than regular prison. He is going to have a horrible existence before he is ever executed.

Yes. It may take years but they will be far more miserable than if he was sentenced to life.

Just look at Jodi Arias. She’s living a life. She’s the queen where she’s housed. They get to work. Socialize. Engage in recreation with other inmates.

Not this convict.

And that doesn’t bother me one bit.
BBM. Agree that death penalty is very unequally applied. Lots of people don't even get the innocence project to help them. It depends on the state as to how it is applied by case. It really seems unlawful but that is a whole different discussion. JMO

uh did I see this correctly...when Teresa's mom is talking about how they miss her and all of the impact of that...he is crying??? wth?
He doesn't get to cry when her mother is speaking. Teresa didn't get to cry.
So disrespectful.
I would have told him to sthu.
oh and btw...he is sniveling while she is speaking of her tremdous loss...but did he cry while he used this same mother, while staying in her home, as an alibi during the murder of her own daughter? NO.
disgusting

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads