DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not entirely sure if it has been shared on this thread but:

Since it is Christmas season, you can use Amazon Smile and pick DNA Doe Project as your charity and a small percentage of the sale will go to DDP on select items! Anything helps these Does so please use DDP as your charity!

Apparently, they lost some matches since Monday. You can see it on the Google Drive spreadsheet.
Not sure what is going on here but GEDMatch was recently bought by forensic genomics firm Verogen.

That is a very sad case. I'd recommend to call the police department that holds the case and tell them about DDP. DDP doesn't really reach out to law enforcement. It's definitely worth a shot.
I have a feeling we may never know the first few chapters of his story ... seems almost a perfect example of the idiom “let sleeping dogs lie”. :)

So, here is some information from one of their volunteers on Twitter:
Tracie Boyle on Twitter
''Please remember that pulling your opted-in kits from #GedMatch has a direct effect on #Doe cases as well. We're only working with 15% of the database as it is and have lost an additional 11,699 kits since yesterday :(

Some of the loss of kits may be due to the additional EU privacy measures but still, that's a huge blow. This could be the difference of Doe getting their name back in a few weeks or remaining nameless for another few months or even years.''

CeCe Moore of Parabon NanoLabs also reacted:
CeCe Moore on Twitter
'' We don't keep a daily count of matches on Parabon cases so this is new information to me. Very unfortunate and a definite step in the wrong direction for justice, public safety and resolution for the victims and their families. Thanks
@boylegenealogy ''

Another genealogist replied with this to Ms Moore:
'' I’ve been a huge proponent of GEDmatch for adoptee and cold cases with our genealogist favorite site....but too much is happening too soon to break its trust with our community. What’s worse is that I have a cold case in my community from the 1980s that may stay unsolved now. An elderly immigrant from Cyprus never received justice.''

The genealogist community strikes me as one of those ''everyone knows everyone'' communities.
I can definitely envision some of them behind this sudden drop of matches.

I found an article that explains the Verogen take over and I think it may explain why so many DDP case matches were lost: GEDmatch Acquired by Verogen

From that link:

Users when signing on to GEDmatch must read the updated terms and conditions that state that GEDmatch is “operated by Verogen, following the acquisition by Verogen of the website.”

Whether people *actually* read, or not, they must then choose one of the following 3 options:

Verogen-options.png

There can be no question whatsoever that users didn’t have the opportunity to make a choice, because you cannot enter the GEDmatch/Verogen site if you don’t make a selection.

If you choose Option 2, Reject, your entire account along with all of the kits and GEDCOM files are deleted permanently.

-----

BBM. It sounds like many people didn't like being forced to read new terms of service in order to access the website and they hit "reject" which deleted their account? Is that what happened? How unfortunate that they forced people to either accept or delete. Some people may not have known that the company had been sold and may have thought it was a possible scam.

Something similar happened to me here on Websleuths-- I was recently forced to accept the terms and conditions again, even though I had accepted it in the past and I didn't see anything different in them. There had not been any announcements in advance that this was going to happen so I thought it was suspicious. I thought that maybe this was some glitch or that the site had been hacked. I could not get past the "accept or reject" screen in order to check the announcements on the site to see if I was indeed supposed to accept new conditions. It wouldn't even let me sign out of my account here to read while the board while not signed in. I tried closing my browser and clearing out my cache and it was the same when I came back-- I had to either accept or stop reading here. I was so frustrated I almost didn't come back. Eventually I came back and selected "accept" but if my account had been deleted when I rejected it the first time then I would not be on here anymore. My point is that people get suspicious and don't like it when they have to accept new rules without warning-- I was worried I was accepting a virus or something!

MOO.

I've just logged on to GEDmatch for the first time since this change, and accepted the terms... and it looks like my kit has been deleted?? It says 'you have not uploaded any DNA kits'. I know I have. Is this because of the EU laws? I am in the EU (UK). I've just had to upload all over again.

Some updates regarding their cases.
Barron County John Doe from 1982 is now an active case. I hope he has good matches. I'm keenly interested in his case.
Three new pending cases, all from Michigan. Two of them have already been mentioned as potential case in this tread.
Van Buren County John Doe from 1987 and Allegan County John Doe from 2014 are now both in sequencing.
The third case is Berrien County Jane Doe from 1992, a murder victim, and she is also in sequencing.

I've just logged on to GEDmatch for the first time since this change, and accepted the terms... and it looks like my kit has been deleted?? It says 'you have not uploaded any DNA kits'. I know I have. Is this because of the EU laws? I am in the EU (UK). I've just had to upload all over again.

Oh no! I hope this doesn't mean our friends in the Europe are not allowed to use GEDMatch to help DNA Doe Project anymore. Thank you for going to the trouble of uploading it again, MarziPanda. I wonder how many did not have their kits saved on their computer to be able to easily upload again?

Barron County John Doe from 1982 is now an active case. I hope he has good matches. I'm keenly interested in his case.
Three new pending cases, all from Michigan. Two of them have already been mentioned as potential case in this tread.
Van Buren County John Doe from 1987 and Allegan County John Doe from 2014 are now both in sequencing.
The third case is Berrien County Jane Doe from 1992, a murder victim, and she is also in sequencing.

Here's the thread for the Barron County John Doe 1982:
WI - WI - Ridgeland, WhtMale 168UMWI, 18-24, Pins in Left Tibia, Sep'82

There are two Berrien County Jane Does from 1992, so I had to go to Facebook to check the number. I'm pretty sure it is this one from New Buffalo:
MI - MI - New Buffalo Twp, WhtFem 129UFMI, 65-75, wrapped in sheet, Aug'92
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The other Michigan cases were linked a page or two back but if anyone wants those links again, just let me know. :)

The EU is powerful enough to impose their policies on much of the world.
Even American news websites have to abide by their regulations.
I have had trouble at times accessing certain websites from Connecticut and Utah for example.
Neither of those places is in the EU, but neither am I since my country isn't a member state of the EU.

Some new cases and updates on the pinned Facebook post!

Peoria County John Doe 2017 (Illinois) is a new active case. NamUs #UP17560
Park County John Doe 1974 (Colorado) is a new case and is at lab for extractions. NamUs #UP16790

Summit County John Doe (2016, Colorado) is awaiting shipment to sequencing lab. The same is true for Mr X (Johnson County, Texas, 1972) and Houston John Doe, a victim of Dean Corll! This last case is highly interesting to me for a host of reasons and I'm elated to see him progress to the next stage.

Some new cases and updates on the pinned Facebook post!

Peoria County John Doe 2017 (Illinois) is a new active case. NamUs #UP17560
Park County John Doe 1974 (Colorado) is a new case and is at lab for extractions. NamUs #UP16790

Summit County John Doe (2016, Colorado) is awaiting shipment to sequencing lab. The same is true for Mr X (Johnson County, Texas, 1972) and Houston John Doe, a victim of Dean Corll! This last case is highly interesting to me for a host of reasons and I'm elated to see him progress to the next stage.

NAMUS links and threads:

IL - IL - Schuyler Co., WhtMale torso found in Illinois River, Nov'16

CO - CO - Park Co., WhtMale UP16790, 30-60, on hillside, Feb'74

CO - CO - Summit Co., WhtMale, 30-50, Blonde, Wire Glasses, Indiglo Watch, Glock, July'16

TX - TX - Johnson Co., 'Mr. X' WhtMale UP11445, 25-35, @ Matlock Ranch, Dec'72

TX - TX - Houston, 'Swimsuit Boy' WhtMale UP4547, 15-19, Dean Corll victim, Aug'73

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member