IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something really sickening about this whole thing. I remember posting a few weeks ago that this was going to get even worse. So SA will get convicted but the family will get plenty of $$$, and this story isn't going away until they do.

I thought from the start that it was inappropriate for the Indiana police to post their statement regarding what happened (which they did right after the event).

One thing I didn't realize before is that it is every other window that opens on that level. Surprising that more of them weren't open at that point, several hours after boarding.

I saw this quote:

Last month, Anello told “CBS This Morning” he picked Chloe up and put her on a railing to look out a bank of windows before the girl fell to her death.

He held her in a hug, he said, as she was on the railing. But he then let one arm go as he and his granddaughter both reached out to knock on the glass, as they had done at hockey games.

The above is what the article says, however it's a description of what he said. I don't remember him saying specifically that he "let one arm go" in that interview. But that is probably what happened. He literally had no grip on her, otherwise she would still be here. Even that high off the floor he just let go of his grip. NO ONE does that to a baby even if they are *seated* (on a thin round railing). Instinctively one would be holding on securely.

Family of Granger toddler who died in cruise ship fall to announce lawsuit against Royal Caribbean

I hope RCCL totals up how many millions have been on this ship, including how many children 5 and under, who have not fallen out of a window 4+ feet off the ground.

I just watched the press conference coverage. I think I'm going to be sick. It was a complete *advertiser censored* show with Winkleman controlling the narrative as expected. None of the reporters asked any questions that were relevant or hadn't already been answered. Sam refused to answer any questions himself. To me, the whole family came across as defiant (& of course devastated) and MW literally makes my skin crawl. If you just watched this video clip, knowing nothing else of the events that happened, it would be likely you would buy into the (IMO) lies and excuses. It is so sad that Chloe's life seems to have been traded for a huge lawsuit settlement and Gramps might just get away with this. It makes me incredibly depressed and angry. I don't know why this case is hitting me so hard. I want justice for Chloe and this latest development is disturbing. I hope when the video footage is released the truth comes out.
As an afterthought, is the mom, Kim, just in the worst case of denial ever? I feel terrible for her, I really do. I don't know how it feels or what I would do in her shoes. I think if SA had any moral turpitude he would admit responsibility and apologize so they could try to begin to heal.
This whole situation gives me a bad feeling and I STILL think there's more to the story. Whether we'll ever know the truth is anybody's guess. All of the above is MOO and possibly terribly insensitive. I will repeat once again that I just want justice for the little girl whose life was cut short due to SA's actions. IMO.

@oviedo :) or Anyone?
About 40 sec into vid, Winkleman says...Lawsuit filed on behalf of the family and [garbled to me].
Who is the "and"? Sounds to me like "Kim and Alan." Aren't they the "family" referred to?
Any version of this presser w captions? Thx in adv.

Also if anyone has found pdf/image of the complaint itself, a link would be helpful. TiA.

The windows are open for ventilation (otherwise it gets very hot and stuffy) and to ensure safety, the cruise line not only puts the windows about five feet off the floor and places a safety railing in front of them, so that passengers can look out but not fall out. How could they foresee that someone would deliberately circumvent the safety measures?
I guess if nothing else, the suit will force the cruise line to Idiot Proof their ships. SMH

I guess if nothing else, the suit will force the cruise line to Idiot Proof their ships. SMH

you can NOT screen in full decks of a cruise ship. Its impossible. It would make it HOT and cut down on air flow. Many decks have NO windows and JUST a 5' railing. Freaking 'blame everyone else for your stupidity' lawsuits just piss me off.

@oviedo :) or Anyone?
About 40 sec into vid, Winkleman says...Lawsuit filed on behalf of the family and [garbled to me].
Who is the "and"? Sounds to me like "Kim and Alan." Aren't they the "family" referred to?
Any version of this presser w captions? Thx in adv.

Also if anyone has found pdf/image of the complaint itself, a link would be helpful. TiA.
I’m not sure it’s filed yet - he will have to use the Florida eportal to file and that will take a day or two for the case number to be assigned by the clerk - I’m not sure the jurisdiction is Miami-Dade County though but with all his prior lawsuits I’m sure he knows which court to file in

There's something really sickening about this whole thing. I remember posting a few weeks ago that this was going to get even worse. So SA will get convicted but the family will get plenty of $$$, and this story isn't going away until they do.

I thought from the start that it was inappropriate for the Indiana police to post their statement regarding what happened (which they did right after the event).

One thing I didn't realize before is that it is every other window that opens on that level. Surprising that more of them weren't open at that point, several hours after boarding.

I saw this quote:

Last month, Anello told “CBS This Morning” he picked Chloe up and put her on a railing to look out a bank of windows before the girl fell to her death.

He held her in a hug, he said, as she was on the railing. But he then let one arm go as he and his granddaughter both reached out to knock on the glass, as they had done at hockey games.

The above is what the article says, however it's a description of what he said. I don't remember him saying specifically that he "let one arm go" in that interview. But that is probably what happened. He literally had no grip on her, otherwise she would still be here. Even that high off the floor he just let go of his grip. NO ONE does that to a baby even if they are *seated* (on a thin round railing). Instinctively one would be holding on securely.

Family of Granger toddler who died in cruise ship fall to announce lawsuit against Royal Caribbean

I hope RCCL totals up how many millions have been on this ship, including how many children 5 and under, who have not fallen out of a window 4+ feet off the ground.

In the interview video it's even worse than just having one arm, but he also had a close fist as well...he was barely holding her at all as he placed her dangerously on the railing.

This family and their ship-chasing attorney make me want to puke :mad: The timing of the lawsuit filing seems fishy and is likely intended as a preemptive strike before the criminal trial. I hope a jury will see this for what it is: A ploy to blame RCCL for Grandpa's careless, reckless stupidity. Chloe has been long-forgotten. The Wiegands and Mr. Winkleman want a huge payday from Royal Caribbean and don't want SA to take responsibility for Chloe's death. Shame on all of them!

This family and their ship-chasing attorney make me want to puke :mad: The timing of the lawsuit filing seems fishy and is likely intended as a preemptive strike before the criminal trial. I hope a jury will see this for what it is: A ploy to blame RCCL for Grandpa's careless, reckless stupidity. Chloe has been long-forgotten. The Wiegands and Mr. Winkleman want a huge payday from Royal Caribbean and don't want SA to take responsibility for Chloe's death. Shame on all of them!
I wonder if there is a possibility they will change the charge ? Is there something worse than negligent homicide that isn’t murder ? By now they will have all the video from many angles - I hope they have all his actions from boarding to the drop of the baby on these videos - IMO

Maybe I need to sit down for a moment. I'm dizzy & terribly disoriented from trying to follow all the different narratives & versions of events & stories that keep changing in this case. (Now we're back to the banging glass story? Really?)
Its like watching a kaleidoscope where nothing ever quite fits into place but makes a darn pretty picture for a few seconds, trying to appear as though it's real before shifting again to create yet another illusion/ psuedo- reality when that becomes necessary. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain....
You really can fool some of the people all of the time, eh, Winkleman?

.... I don't know why this case is hitting me so hard. ...

It really does hit hard and the only word is anguish.

As an afterthought, is the mom, Kim, just in the worst case of denial ever? I feel terrible for her, I really do. I don't know how it feels or what I would do in her shoes..

I feel terrible for the parents too and will continue to, as much as I wish they were not filing a lawsuit. I think they are trying to hold it together and make sense of this and keep their family from falling apart. Especially where their son is concerned. It is heartbreaking all around. They lost a precious child, in such a horrific way. In their shoes and talking to attorneys going on saying that the ship did wrong, I might be doing the same thing. But I hope I would just have grieved in private and stayed out of the media.

If I were the grandparent who did this, I know at least one parent (especially the non-blood-related) would have at best never spoken to me again and at worst have done a lot worse, and I would have wanted to kill myself. I might have left the family and moved far away in order to prevent further harm or pain. I don't know; can't know.

I notice a lot of self-comforting behavior from SA in that press conference. The most heartbreaking part is seeing Chloe's father. He has been less vocal here so it is easier to sympathize with him; this whole family is acting as a group; individually other actions might have been taken. I'm sure Chloe's mother is also suffering equally.

This event and case is so painful sometimes I just can't read about it and have to take time off from it.

Last edited:
Those you mentioned are possible motives. But to me, it's the way that everyone involved acted immediately following the incident. Not sticking around for a thorough investigation, for one.If it were MY child , I would want to know EXACTLY what happened, especially since I wasn't present to see it with my own eyes. Immediately lawyering up. Being oh-so-forgiving of the person who caused my child's death. Spreading lies about the circumstances of the occurrence. CHANGING of stories. Multiple fundraisers. The whole situation is just beyond accidental, MOO. Too many red flags, and I probably am missing some. If I am wrong, I will be happy to admit it.
I would think that after a tragedy such as this there would be a time of grief then answers demanded starting with who had her last - IMO - it just seems odd to me those first few days

And knowing what we do now about the ship being docked in port on U.S. territory explains a lot about why the family and Winkleman are so intent on pursuing this. As they say, just follow the money. Makes me sick.
And good ole gramps, sitting there all tongue tied, still too big of a coward to admit the truth and own HIS negligence, responsibility, and gross lack of judgment in this tragedy.

This was no freak accident, it was willfull negligence that required not one, but a series of actions by that man.
1. picking Chloe up,
2. holding her up to a high open window,
3. recklessly leaning over and out through the window with Chloe
4. carelessly not holding her tightly and in a safe manner
5. then pushing / dropping her out the window to her death.

I’m so livid, I wanted to reach through my computer screen.

And I’m shocked, truly shocked, Chloe’s father would go along with this charade. But maybe I shouldn’t be.

And that the SB FOP voiced their opinion on the case is IMO highly inappropriate for public servants to do so in a case like this. They are supposed to be in the position of law enforcement, now they have switched roles and have instead chosen the path of blind loyalty. WTH?!

If SA hadn't had anything to drink, then I think Winkleman would have already said this to the press by now.

btw Winkleman never used the word teetotaller, he just said "Sam is not a drinker," but that can mean "not a heavy drinker."

Those you mentioned are possible motives. But to me, it's the way that everyone involved acted immediately following the incident. Not sticking around for a thorough investigation, for one.If it were MY child , I would want to know EXACTLY what happened, especially since I wasn't present to see it with my own eyes. Immediately lawyering up. Being oh-so-forgiving of the person who caused my child's death. Spreading lies about the circumstances of the occurrence. CHANGING of stories. Multiple fundraisers. The whole situation is just beyond accidental, MOO. Too many red flags, and I probably am missing some. If I am wrong, I will be happy to admit it.
FWIW, the did mention paying medical bills as one use of the funds raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288