Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotr

Reaction score
Pharma giant and philanthropists Barry and Honey Sherman found dead
Pharmaceutical giant Barry Sherman and his wife Honey Sherman were found dead in a home in Toronto’s York Mills neighbourhood on Friday afternoon, sources confirm.

Emergency crews responded to a 9-1-1 medical call at a house located at 50 Old Colony Road, which is in the area of Bayview Avenue and Highway 401.
Firefighters, officers and paramedics arrived on scene just before 12 p.m. and located two bodies inside.
Barry Sherman was the chairman of generic drug company Apotex Inc. He and his wife were well known Toronto philanthropists.

Canadian Business magazine recently listed Barry Sherman as the 15th richest person in Canada, with a net worth of $4.77 billion.

Speaking to reporters in front of the home, Const. David Hopkinson said the victims’ deaths are being treated as suspicious at this time.

“The circumstances of their deaths appear suspicious and we are treating it that way,” he said. “Our investigators are inside (the home) investigating and taking apart the scene.”

Verified Insider

Kerry Winter

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9

Thread #10
Thread #11 - Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11
Thread #12

Last edited by a moderator:
This LE report caught my eye, not likely related to this case- but as these two men were involved in pharmaceuticals, the "odd ducks" comment by the real estate agent comes to mind.
speculation, imo, fwiw..
Toronto Police Service :: News Release #46027
"It is alleged that:

- two men approached an owner of a Toronto-run bakery and offered to buy the business

- there was a sale agreement, however, upon the Wednesday, April 24, 2019 closing date, there were no money exchanged

- despite this, the two men had taken possession of the 36,000 square foot building and $9 million worth of industrial machinery inside

- there was no intention of payment for the business

It is further alleged that:

- the two men are the Operators of Easton Pharmaceuticals Inc., which is a traded on the OTCMKTS

- they altered attorney letters to reflect having legitimately bought the bakery"
ETA rbbm.
Police are concerned there may be more victims

Last edited:
Just a bit more..rbbm.fwiw.
Two GTA men charged in 'high value fraud' involving bogus bakery purchase
"Two men listed as a director and the CEO of a small Toronto pharmaceutical company allegedly attempted to buy a large Etobicoke bakery worth millions without paying a dime, in what Toronto police described as a “high value fraud.”
"A sale agreement was drawn up and the company the men belonged to, Easton Pharmaceuticals, issued a statement saying it had bought the bakery to launch a cannabis edibles line."
"In its latest quarterly report, filed in October, Easton Pharmaceuticals listed its headquarters as the address of the bakery facility."

This LE report caught my eye, not likely related to this case- but as these two men were involved in pharmaceuticals, the "odd ducks" comment by the real estate agent comes to mind.
speculation, imo, fwiw..
Toronto Police Service :: News Release #46027
"It is alleged that:

- two men approached an owner of a Toronto-run bakery and offered to buy the business

- there was a sale agreement, however, upon the Wednesday, April 24, 2019 closing date, there were no money exchanged

- despite this, the two men had taken possession of the 36,000 square foot building and $9 million worth of industrial machinery inside

- there was no intention of payment for the business

It is further alleged that:

- the two men are the Operators of Easton Pharmaceuticals Inc., which is a traded on the OTCMKTS

- they altered attorney letters to reflect having legitimately bought the bakery"
ETA rbbm.
Police are concerned there may be more victims

I googled Easton Pharmaceuticals, and found that Dr. Jack Barkin is part of the company (could he be related to the Barkins of the Sherman saga?). KW’s late adoptive father was Dr. Martin Barkin. ‘Jack’ is noted in his obituary as his grandson.

“Easton Pharmaceuticals Announces Dr. Jack Barkin MD, FICS, FACS, DABU, MHM, CCPE, FRCS (c) Has Accepted The Position of Senior Vice-President and Chief Medical Officer Dr. Barkin Is a World-Renowned Expert on Disorders of Sexual Dysfunction, Past Chief Urologist, Present Chief of Staff at a University Affiliated Toronto Hospital and an Assistant Professor in The Department of Surgery at the University of Toronto TORONTO, ONTARIO–(Marketwire – 06/22/11) – (Pinksheets:EAPH – News) – Easton Pharmaceuticals, a specialty pharmaceutical company that designs, develops, and markets a premium array of topically-delivered therapeutic healthcare products, announced today that Jack Barkin, MD, FICS, FACS, DABU, MHM, CCPE, FRCS (c) has agreed to join the company as Senior Vice-President and Chief Medical Officer. Dr. Barkin is the past Chief Urologist and present Chief of Staff at a university affiliated Toronto hospital, and an Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Toronto.”
*EAPH News* – Breaking Into Emerging Markets Will Boost Revenue Stream! | Stock Market Newsletters

Bloomberg’s report on Easton’s stock value:

3FFC2515-4766-4FF9-B3F5-F9F4CF290CCE.png

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

What a strange crime. They took illegal possession of the bakery—to do what?

Allegedly to produce cannabis edibles. (I had a hard time figuring out how they took possession with no money changing hands.)
Over the course of my lifetime, I have heard of ... not commercially, but residentially, homesellers 'allowing' their buyer to start moving their stuff in, prior to the official closing, when the monies change hands. I remember one time asking my lawyer if we should allow that, and he said NO. Now I know why!

Sounds like this place was going to make a pile of baked goods containing cannabis? Like brownies and such?

Over the course of my lifetime, I have heard of ... not commercially, but residentially, homesellers 'allowing' their buyer to start moving their stuff in, prior to the official closing, when the monies change hands. I remember one time asking my lawyer if we should allow that, and he said NO. Now I know why!

Sounds like this place was going to make a pile of baked goods containing cannabis? Like brownies and such?

From the news release above "the two men are the Operators of Easton Pharmaceuticals Inc., which is a traded on the OTCMKTS"

I think this was less to do with making cannibis edibles, and more about something like selling inflated shares of the company, or borrowing a large amount of money in some other way.

There's tons of investment capital out there, eager to buy into cannibis because investers believe it's like buying Apple shares back in 1980. But they're not going to invest unless the company has real prospects, like a facility and a big name scientific advisor.

Sherman Institute inaugurated |
Dec 4 2019
"The establishment of the Dr. Barry Sherman Institute for Medicinal Chemistry celebrated the visionary gift of the Sherman family of Toronto to advance research on basic research in drug discovery. The new Sherman Institute is headed by Dr. Sarel Fleishman of the Department of Biomolecular Sciences."
"The Sherman Institute funds innovative research on compounds that hold promise for becoming therapies for a range of human diseases and disorders, including autoimmune diseases, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases and infectious diseases.

Among the investigations that are expected to be undertaken at the Sherman Institute are efforts to develop new antibiotics so as to overcome the growing challenge of antibiotic resistance."

5 most popular Canadian biz books from the week of November 25 to December 1
"1. The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman
Kevin Donovan"

Bumping to say, just waiting and wondering if there will be any kind of an update article or statement or announcement or anything at all on the 13th, which is tomorrow, and which is believed to have been the evening/night on which the couple were killed.

Bumping to say, just waiting and wondering if there will be any kind of an update article or statement or announcement or anything at all on the 13th, which is tomorrow, and which is believed to have been the evening/night on which the couple were killed.

Barry and Honey Sherman’s bodies were found posed like the sculptures in their basement | The Star

Sorry about the paywall. Those sculptures are seriously creepy and it sure looks like the staging of the bodies was a deliberate copy. Big reveals in article are an open basement window and an unlocked door to the house.

Barry and Honey Sherman’s bodies were found posed like the sculptures in their basement | The Star

Sorry about the paywall. Those sculptures are seriously creepy and it sure looks like the staging of the bodies was a deliberate copy. Big reveals in article are an open basement window and an unlocked door to the house.

Thanks for the link, Freaky !
sherman_sculptures.jpg

Barry and Honey Sherman’s bodies were found posed
Thu., Dec. 12,
"The positioning of the bodies of murder victims Barry and Honey Sherman was eerily similar to a tableau of two life-sized, human-shaped art figures in a basement room near the crime scene in the billionaire couple’s Toronto home.
The Sherman bodies and the two art figures owned by the Shermans were in a seated position, and both Barry Sherman and the male art figure had one leg crossed over the other."

"The figures are male and female. The male sculpture’s left leg is crossed over its right leg. One of the Sherman children described the sculptures to the Star as “creepy,” adding, “We all hated those things.” A regular visitor to the home recently used the same word — “creepy” — to describe the figures."

Last edited:
Fwiw.
The Sculptor (Sam Markham, #1) by Gregory Funaro
The Sculptor
by Gregory Funaro
"Killing Is An Art
In life, they were flawed. In death, they are perfect works of art--killed, preserved, and carefully molded into replicas of Michelangelo's most celebrated creations. Only The Sculptor can bring forth their true beauty and teach the world to appreciate his gift."

Still Life: The Fine Art of Murder (1990
"The alleys of downtown Manhattan become a modern killing field when corpses begin turning up, disfigured and gruesomely posed to appear as pieces of art. In the frightening climate of the "Art Killer", Peter Sherwood, a struggling musician, is hired to compose for a patron of the arts, and thinks his dreams are coming true. But as the body count continues to rise, the clues surrounding the murders oddly begin to lead police closer and closer to Peter and his new job. Suddenly, all eyes are on Peter and he must scramble to find the real killer - before he becomes his next masterpiece".

I Am the Night Made Its Own Surrealist Art for That Haunting Black Dahlia Twist
I Am the Night
"Looking at the paintings showing women’s severed torsos and limbs carefully posed, Jay’s recalls the crime-scene photos he’s seen of Elizabeth Short — the real-life aspiring actress who was brutally mutilated and murdered in 1947 and dubbed the Black Dahlia — followed by the photos he took of another murdered woman, Janice Brewster, in the premiere episode. He realizes that the Black Dahlia murder may have been Hodel’s own sick Surrealist masterpiece."
"George Hodel was friends with the American artist Man Ray in the 1940s, and his son believes that the severing and positioning of Short’s torso and the cutting of her mouth were homages to two of Man Ray’s most famous works from the previous decade: Minotaur and Observatory Time: The Lovers."

Wow, I honestly thought this case was forgotten, and now finally more info is coming out.

The news of the seating position makes it pretty clear this was not a suicide/murder suicide imo.

To me what is significant, if there is a relationship between how the bodies were posed and the sculptures, is the fact that those sculptures were likely seen by the perpetrators previously. I am starting to lean more heavily to someone who was close enough to the deceased, to have developed a negative opinion on those sculptures, and likely expressed that opinion to the deceased at one time.

Something like
"........those are ugly, why don't you throw them out?"........."But dear, both of us like them, in fact Barry thinks they look just like us."

Now the similarities between the sculptures and the posing may be coincidental, and too much significance is maybe given to the commonalities. When there is a dearth of information, there is a tendency to grasp at straws so to speak.

However, as I have always believed the staging of the bodies was significant to their deaths, then likely there is a relationship between the sculptures and the deaths.

To me what is significant, if there is a relationship between how the bodies were posed and the sculptures, is the fact that those sculptures were likely seen by the perpetrators previously. I am starting to lean more heavily to someone who was close enough to the deceased, to have developed a negative opinion on those sculptures, and likely expressed that opinion to the deceased at one time.

Something like
"........those are ugly, why don't you throw them out?"........."But dear, both of us like them, in fact Barry thinks they look just like us."

Now the similarities between the sculptures and the posing may be coincidental, and too much significance is maybe given to the commonalities. When there is a dearth of information, there is a tendency to grasp at straws so to speak.

However, as I have always believed the staging of the bodies was significant to their deaths, then likely there is a relationship between the sculptures and the deaths.
I agree that the staging of the bodies is probably highly significant, but to me, that means that they were staged specifically to be obviously hanging.

IMO, it would have been easier for the killer(s) to strangle and then prop up the bodies, seated side by side, to resemble the sculpture. Maybe in the same room, on the sofa? Why involve the pool at all?

To me, the pool railing was the only place to have them hanging side by side, where it would look like double-suicide or murder-suicide. IMO, the sculpture (however ugly) is clearly two living people being together in a relaxed and happy way.

Edit: to add another possibility to why they were hanging: in the killers mind, this may have represented, symbolically, that they'd been executed, in some sort of act of justice.

Last edited:
Dec 12 2019
David Perry, GNR crime expert, on Barry and Honey Sherman case - The John Oakley Show - Omny.fm
David Perry, GNR crime expert, on Barry and Honey Sherman case

Dec 12 2019
Murdered billionaire couple posed like 'creepy' life-sized figurines found in home: report

"While police officers have said there were no signs of forced entry into the home, the Star’s investigation revealed that a window was left open in a basement room that was being painted in order to air out the smell. A door leading outside from the basement was also left unlocked when police arrived at the scene, according to the paper.

Donovan speculated that someone with knowledge of the home’s layout and who knew the door was often left unlocked would have been able to enter and exit the home undetected and leave through the neighbour’s yard."

Re the sculptures, the male's leg being crossed over the other is notable because, as we know, a person who hangs himself would not end up with his legs in that position. The difference is that Barry's legs were outstretched, unlike the sculpture, but the crossed legs comparison is meaningful and perhaps an intentionally subtle staging.

The other thing that struck me is the lengthening neck coils in both sculptures, which in some cultures is considered a sign of wealth and power. (I googled it). If the killer was copying these sculptures for his sick staging, the obvious, perceived neck damage of lengthening coils may explain why the Shermans were strung up to a railing by their necks.

Anyway, I give full credit to dotr for KD's article on this. (KD just saw pictures of the sculptures two weeks ago?) I believe dotr also mentioned the other weird sculpture in the same area, which she described as "the sheep being led to slaughter". Dotr has always impressed me how she/he thinks outside of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288